Noordam: Broken Toilet, Cold Showers, and a missed port to save money!

jmkennett

How long would a delay have be be before a flush toilet is declared non-working? 30 seconds? A minute? 3 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? I think that expecting a non-delayed flush toilet well within the expectation of any paying passengers. Not sure expecting a waiter to debone my fish would fall within those expectations. That would be on a level of expecting the cabin attendant to flush the toilet for a passenger, wouldn't it?

Sheeesh! The ship toilets do this all the time! Delayed flush can be a bit disconcerting the first few times because you think, "eek, it won't (ever) flush". But it does! Usually takes anywhere from 2 minutes to half an hour to work when this problem rears its ugly head.

We have cruised a lot on HAL and know this happens and no harm done. People with high sensibilities or high levels of impatience are not going to take it well, but, we are all adults and should act accordingly.

These are vacuum toilets so they don't work like the ones at home. Pax really should be able to deal with problems like this without blowing a gasket.

That said, the staff on the Noordam have not distinguished themselves with the (much delayed) handling of this particular problem. Pax should never have to spend so much time and effort to get the appropriate work done, when it appears to have been an easy and quick fix!

My goodness, this was awful. I have been on the Noordam twice in 2007; my biggest complain about that ship was that they didn't have a movie theater; but what you are experiencing is BAD.

I will tell you that something like that happened to my mother and I on the QM2 in 2006; we were supposed to go to Costa Rica, but they said they had to cancel because it wasn't safe to put down the tender. Okay, at that time I believed them, but a few years later, also on the QM2, we had to tender in Tortola, and let me tell you, the sea was so rough that we thought the tender would capsize. So this makes me wonder if us not going to Costa Rica in 2006 was about money.

My goodness, this was awful. I have been on the Noordam twice in 2007; my biggest complain about that ship was that they didn't have a movie theater; but what you are experiencing is BAD.

I will tell you that something like that happened to my mother and I on the QM2 in 2006; we were supposed to go to Costa Rica, but they said they had to cancel because it wasn't safe to put down the tender. Okay, at that time I believed them, but a few years later, also on the QM2, we had to tender in Tortola, and let me tell you, the sea was so rough that we thought the tender would capsize. So this makes me wonder if us not going to Costa Rica in 2006 was about money.

Different circumstances make for different safety decisions.

How long would a delay have be be before a flush toilet is declared non-working? 30 seconds? A minute? 3 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? I think that expecting a non-delayed flush toilet well within the expectation of any paying passengers. Not sure expecting a waiter to debone my fish would fall within those expectations. That would be on a level of expecting the cabin attendant to flush the toilet for a passenger, wouldn't it?

I would hope for a non-delay flush but because we have run into this on several cruises, we found it a quirk only and not a necessarily broken deal. Broken, fully non-operational and flooding toilets are an entirely different matter.

And I can appreciate the vagaries of a delay-flush toilet is disconcerting so as I stated up front, I would hope no one has to face this. But because it is a quirk of these new systems for whatever reasons, it is now an expected and for us an all together temporary glitch.

How does one know how long of a delay flush is to a fully non-working toilet, that is the unfortunate undetermined part of this scenario. All I know is a delay flush has never led to a fully non-working toilet or even the need for a service call. It always just took care of itself. That was our experience. Probably because someone else up or down the line did report it? I don't know.

Half an hour to flush???!!!! Is that supposed to be OK?? I think not.

I don't see why you attribute poor flush operations to a vacuum flush system. If anything, a vacuum toilet is faster and more powerful than a water flow flush. The current Noordam toilet problems probably has more to do with the additional cabins being hooked up to the old sewer system.

igraf

Sheeesh! The ship toilets do this all the time! Delayed flush can be a bit disconcerting the first few times because you think, "eek, it won't (ever) flush". But it does! Usually takes anywhere from 2 minutes to half an hour to work when this problem rears its ugly head.

We have cruised a lot on HAL and know this happens and no harm done. People with high sensibilities or high levels of impatience are not going to take it well, but, we are all adults and should act accordingly.

These are vacuum toilets so they don't work like the ones at home. Pax really should be able to deal with problems like this without blowing a gasket.

That said, the staff on the Noordam have not distinguished themselves with the (much delayed) handling of this particular problem. Pax should never have to spend so much time and effort to get the appropriate work done, when it appears to have been an easy and quick fix!

I don't see why you attribute poor flush operations to a vacuum flush system. If anything, a vacuum toilet is faster and more powerful than a water flow flush. The current Noordam toilet problems probably has more to do with the additional cabins being hooked up to the old sewer system.

igraf

Apparently not since this delay flush situation has happened occasionally on other HAL ships too. I would suspect any additional cabins come with self-contained auxiliary systems that are built into the units to support them. So no reason to immediately suspect otherwise.

Someone with more technical expertise hopefully can answer that. My own conclusion this was merely a quirk but not a fatal affliction comes from the annoyances experienced with the original low-flow land based toilets that never quite worked consistently either.

I will start by saying I’m done with HAL. No, this not a joke and I know the cheerleaders will probably rip me. ......

As a content 4 star Mariner, I actually only say good by and best wishes. I for one will be happy to see a reduction of the hostile postings about the HAL experience.

Odd then that I have never experienced the "delayed flush" on other cruise lines.

Perhaps yes. Other ships also had expansions along with associated problems. I sincerely doubt that the expansions were engineered to the extent that you suggest. The goal was to increase revenue, and to do so quickly.

Years ago the vacuum flush worked so well that the comedian joked that the HAL toilets could "suck the chrome off a trailer hitch".

igraf

Apparently not since this delay flush situation has happened occasionally on other HAL ships too. I would suspect any additional cabins come with self-contained auxiliary systems that are built into the units to support them. So no reason to immediately suspect otherwise.

Someone with more technical expertise hopefully can answer that. My own conclusion this was merely a quirk but not a fatal affliction comes from the annoyances experienced with the original low-flow land based toilets that never quite worked consistently either.

igraf

agree with you igraff - if a ship gets additional cabins that were not originally planned for - things are going to happen:(

I for one really sympathize with the OP. I know I don't expect to use public washrooms on a cruise ship rather than my own facilities.

and I have been in this position - and it's not a fun time

I have no problem with any issue or bump - IF it is addressed and corrected promptly. this is not prompt.

With the issue not being addressed, you can hardly blame the op.

I certainly don't.

igraf

Every type of toilet has parts involved. Vacuum toliets work on a vacuum and actuator system. Maybe the actuator was not working to optimal standards and that was what was replaced. It should never have taken the ship 8 days to do this repair, as they are quite aware of the issue.

The vacuum system is very powerful and fast, yes, when it is working optimally. This one was not.

We've had this "problem" on unrenovated ships, so I am not convinced that it has anything to do with adding cabins.

As long as the toilet does not overflow, which we have had occur (when empty, thanks), we are fine. The hot water issue with the OP is really unusual and not acceptable. Why HAL did not move these pax or just get it fixed in under 8 days is beyond me.

We most recently experienced this "Delayed Flush" syndrome while on the Westerdam in April-May (35 days). We have cruised on 12 different cruise lines and more then 75 different ships....but this "delayed flush" thing seems to be unique to our HA cruises. It can be a real problem if one person goes to the toilet and then hits the flush button and nothing happens. Now the 2nd person needs to go to the toilet but there is no way you can gamble and sit on that thing that could flush at any time with no notice (think of all the cruise line jokes about what happens if you sit on a vacuum toilet when it flushes).

Hank

We most recently experienced this "Delayed Flush" syndrome while on the Westerdam in April-May (35 days). We have cruised on 12 different cruise lines and more then 75 different ships....but this "delayed flush" thing seems to be unique to our HA cruises. It can be a real problem if one person goes to the toilet and then hits the flush button and nothing happens. Now the 2nd person needs to go to the toilet but there is no way you can gamble and sit on that thing that could flush at any time with no notice (think of all the cruise line jokes about what happens if you sit on a vacuum toilet when it flushes).

Hank

Oh, yes, and they are just that, jokes. It is not a problem!

Interesting that the Westerdam has experienced this issue, and it hasn't had cabins added that I know of.

Hank

Hank = what was the problem? one of you just had to use a public washroom:p:p (kidding, honest):D Seriously,

We have only cruised on 6 different cruise lines but we have experienced the same thing. Only on HAL ships. hard to fathom. Not a biggie for us as it did flush maybe 3 minutes later most times. but when it takes 1/2 hour - you have a problem if there are more than one of you in the cabin;)

not to mention the worry of....will it flush

We've been lucky - but if it wasn't working - I would expect it attended to promptly. Waiting 8 days wouldn't be satisfactory for ourselves.

.... It should never have taken the ship 8 days to do this repair, as they are quite aware of the issue.

As long as the toilet does not overflow, which we have had occur (when empty, thanks), we are fine. The hot water issue with the OP is really unusual and not acceptable. Why HAL did not move these pax or just get it fixed in under 8 days is beyond me.

No story is really told, until one hears the other side of the story. The best explanation of what HAL did or did not do would also come from HAL as well.

On 3 week long HAL cruises we have had delayed flusing, overflown toilets (yes everything not just water everywhere).... Last night of our last cruise in an SC suite on Eurodam we had the toilet and plumbing completely removed and replaced with no apology at all what so ever. Only 1 cruise we had no toilet issues, instead we had black good shooting out our jacuzzi tub jets took 3 days to fix. No fun standing up after bathing in that! Now i clean my own jets with bleach upon embarkation.

No story is really told, until one hears the other side of the story. The best explanation of what HAL did or did not do would also come from HAL as well.

Seriously? if the op says it didn't work - we need to wait for HAL to comment? Let's get real. HAL does not comment on these boards as you well know.

I take the OP for their word. They are on the ship right now - we are not. Moreover, this is not the first time that we have heard of these types of issues. I seem to remember Sapper1 and startwin reporting in on the Zuiderdam. These are reputable posters. This stuff happens.

That's fine I have no problem with it happening - as I often say - ship happens - but this length of time to reach a resolution is completely unacceptable.

If this happened to you and you came on the boards live (spending money to use the internet) and we gave you that type of reply - I wonder how you would be feeling?

Seriously? if the op says it didn't work - we need to wait for HAL to comment? Let's get real. HAL does not comment on these boards as you well know.

I take the OP for their word. They are on the ship right now - we are not. Moreover, this is not the first time that we have heard of these types of issues. I seem to remember Sapper1 and startwin reporting in on the Zuiderdam. These are reputable posters. This stuff happens.

That's fine I have no problem with it happening - as I often say - ship happens - but this length of time to reach a resolution is completely unacceptable.

If this happened to you and you came on the boards live (spending money to use the internet) and we gave you that type of reply - I wonder how you would be feeling?

Well said, that happened to us while we were on the Zuiderdam in 2010 (room 6001) also in addition to having a wet floor for 6 days. Ship came in from Alaska and got soaked, we boarded and had to put up with it while they brought in machines to dry up the carpet, while dealing with toilet issues. HAL were very generous gave us 200.00 OBC and a free PG dinner. I know what the OP is going through. That was our first cruise with HAL and we stuck with them for 3 years. Now we cancelled our trip on the Noordam for this Nov. Holiday is suppose to be a holiday, we do not need more frustration.

On 3 week long HAL cruises we have had delayed flusing, overflown toilets (yes everything not just water everywhere).... Last night of our last cruise in an SC suite on Eurodam we had the toilet and plumbing completely removed and replaced with no apology at all what so ever. Only 1 cruise we had no toilet issues, instead we had black good shooting out our jacuzzi tub jets took 3 days to fix. No fun standing up after bathing in that! Now i clean my own jets with bleach upon embarkation.

We have had ours stop working on two cruises, on Maasdam and Veendam. We also saw that they took all of the plumbing apart and told us there was a problem in multiple cabins along the same hallway. They were able to fix both the same day but never were able to get the air conditioning working on our Veendam cruise. We weren't the only ones because the people next to us who were onboard for a month said it was their third cabin move when we met them.

Gee, maybe HAL should quote you in their brochures. That would certainly get the customers through the door!

Okay, time for full disclosure. I've never sailed on HAL before but do sail regularly on other lines, averaging about 2 cruises per year over 5 lines. I'm here on this particular board because I'm interested in some of the HAL itineraries and I wanted to see how well their passengers liked the cruises. I've sailed on lines considered downmarket from HAL (Princess), upmarket (Oceania) and roughly comparable (Celebrity).

Now to the point. Over the past 20 cruises, I have experienced a toilet not flushing. I don't know if it was a delayed flush or a broken toilet because I called after 5 minutes, they arrived to fix it within 10 minutes of the call, and had it fixed within 15 minutes of arriving. 3 days later, it happened again. Repeat the same scenario, with no further problems over the course of a 2-week cruise. They did call for several days after the 2nd fix to ensure that their repair did the trick. So yes, it does happen on other cruise lines but I daresay it doesn't "do it all the time." And for at least this cruise line (which I will not name for fear that I will be accused of being a shill), it a non-flushing (or delayed-flush) toilet was considered neither normal nor acceptable. They treated it as something to be fixed immediately.

We have cruised a lot on HAL and know this happens

Maybe you believe this happens all the time because it happens all the time on HAL.

People with high sensibilities or high levels of impatience are not going to take it well, but, we are all adults and should act accordingly.

Or maybe people with low standards accept non-functional equipment as a normal part of their vacation.

We have had ours stop working on two cruises, on Maasdam and Veendam. We also saw that they took all of the plumbing apart and told us there was a problem in multiple cabins along the same hallway. They were able to fix both the same day but never were able to get the air conditioning working on our Veendam cruise. We weren't the only ones because the people next to us who were onboard for a month said it was their third cabin move when we met them.

Our neighbors had issues too last cruise, did not meet any on other cruises.

We have never had this on any other line.

Gee, maybe HAL should quote you in their brochures. That would certainly get the customers through the door!

Okay, time for full disclosure. I've never sailed on HAL before but do sail regularly on other lines, averaging about 2 cruises per year over 5 lines. I'm here on this particular board because I'm interested in some of the HAL itineraries and I wanted to see how well their passengers liked the cruises. I've sailed on lines considered downmarket from HAL (Princess), upmarket (Oceania) and roughly comparable (Celebrity).

Now to the point. Over the past 20 cruises, I have experienced a toilet not flushing. I don't know if it was a delayed flush or a broken toilet because I called after 5 minutes, they arrived to fix it within 10 minutes of the call, and had it fixed within 15 minutes of arriving. 3 days later, it happened again. Repeat the same scenario, with no further problems over the course of a 2-week cruise. They did call for several days after the 2nd fix to ensure that their repair did the trick. So yes, it does happen on other cruise lines but I daresay it doesn't "do it all the time." And for at least this cruise line (which I will not name for fear that I will be accused of being a shill), it a non-flushing (or delayed-flush) toilet was considered neither normal nor acceptable. They treated it as something to be fixed immediately.

Maybe you believe this happens all the time because it happens all the time on HAL.

Or maybe people with low standards accept non-functional equipment as a normal part of their vacation.

You are quite right, maybe it happens all the time on HAL. And maybe the HAL customer service in this respect is not as good as that of the cruiseline on which you had similar problems.

So, I conclude, you have found the reason you should not sail HAL. Mission accomplished for you.

Archived