If revenue is the issue, what wine policy makes sense?

arewethereyet

"If revenue is the issue, what wine policy makes sense?"

None of us knows and the bean counters at Holland America probably don't either. My guess would be that charging for every bottle brought aboard could maximize profit, but at what price point? Can HAL make a profit at $15 per bottle? Would anyone bring wine at $25 per bottle? How would this compare to the profit made on bottles purchased onboard? I assume that by charging a corkage fee on every bottle the cheapskates would suddenly start bringing their wine into the dining room instead of drinking it in their cabin. HAL would need more wine stewards to handle all the bottles. There are too many unknown variables for cruisers to figure pricing policy and probably more variables than HAL can figure out.

Cheapskates, really?!? We bring wine because of the quality, not the price. We also willingly pay the corkage fee if we bring the bottle to the MDR. And they already need more wine stewards. On our last cruise we had to wait and finally search for a wine steward several evenings. The new policy only bothers me in the way it has been thrust upon us. We've been lucky with their former policy and really appreciated it. Things change, yes. But not this way!

seriously, i think HAL should 'listen up.' this wine issue is a catalyst for lots of dissatisfactions and an underlying kind of discontent. i think there is a larger statement being made here. HAL, disregard your loyal folks' opinions at your own risk. and it may be greater than you think. you may have only four 'cheerleaders' left if this is not ammended and you do not stop the cutbacks. just a thought.

True. The reaction to this was very predictable, IMO. How could HAL not know that? If they had announced a new comprehensive overhaul of their entire wine program, there would probably be mixed reactions. But, this was guaranteed to be negative.

"If revenue is the issue, what wine policy makes sense?"

None of us knows and the bean counters at Holland America probably don't either. My guess would be that charging for every bottle brought aboard could maximize profit, but at what price point? Can HAL make a profit at $15 per bottle? Would anyone bring wine at $25 per bottle? How would this compare to the profit made on bottles purchased onboard? I assume that by charging a corkage fee on every bottle the cheapskates would suddenly start bringing their wine into the dining room instead of drinking it in their cabin. HAL would need more wine stewards to handle all the bottles. There are too many unknown variables for cruisers to figure pricing policy and probably more variables than HAL can figure out.

The bolding is mine - you are making a lot of assumptions here - and I don't appreciate being called a cheapskate. We order HAL's wine in the dining room. If you have read the other thread you would have seen most of us like this for the balconies/rooms.

That being said, if I wanted to bring a very good bottle of wine to the MDR which is better than HAL's then that's nothing different than what has been going on all along.

We've only done it a couple of times and gave our wine steward a taste as well as the Cellar Master - they were very impressed.

Whether people bring bottles or order HAL's they need wine stewards. Perhaps if some of the ships had enough it would help. I had no problem on the Prinsendam (for clarifications sake) and don't usually, but the wine steward quickly realizes that we are ordering every night so they take care of us. I guess we have been lucky - but others certainly have not by all reports.

If you're on a port intensive cruise and 100 people come back with a bottle of wine and they charge $15 each that's $1500 right? If they sell 100 bottles of wine at dinner at $50 that's $5,000.

Which is better for the cruise line?

If you're on a port intensive cruise and 100 people come back with a bottle of wine and they charge $15 each that's $1500 right? If they sell 100 bottles of wine at dinner at $50 that's $5,000.

but most order their wine at dinner - most don't take their wine they brought on board to the MDR - it's for consumption in their room or the verandah - and a bottle of wine is not $50. Especially if you get a wine package and are a 3 or 4* mariner.

So, let's do it the other way - 1/2 the ship empty or with non drinkers so they don't care about wine. They don't order any. Now is HAL better off?

That $5,000 isn't profit. You'd have to subtract what HAL paid for the wine, of course.

And your comparison doesn't allow for the fact that many who bring on a bottle of wine may still order one with dinner.

but most order their wine at dinner - most don't take their wine they brought on board to the MDR - it's for consumption in their room or the verandah - and a bottle of wine is not $50. Especially if you get a wine package and are a 3 or 4* mariner.

So, let's do it the other way - 1/2 the ship empty or with non drinkers so they don't care about wine. They don't order any. Now is HAL better off?

I used $50 as a lowball figure. You mean it's cheaper? If yes, people are booking $30,000 suites and are complaining about wine prices?

seriously, i think HAL should 'listen up.' this wine issue is a catalyst for lots of dissatisfactions and an underlying kind of discontent. i think there is a larger statement being made here. HAL, disregard your loyal folks' opinions at your own risk. and it may be greater than you think. you may have only four 'cheerleaders' left if this is not ammended and you do not stop the cutbacks. just a thought.

That pretty much sums it up. It is indeed a catalyst for all the little niggles we had about HAL recently, unfortunate experiences onboard, the cutbacks, the lack of communication. It has all come roaring to the fore with this issue.

Well, I for one will not be paying $50 for a bottle of wine so they'll make no money off from me!

I used $50 as a lowball figure. You mean it's cheaper? If yes, people are booking $30,000 suites and are complaining about wine prices?

Your inuendos aside - go and price the wine packages and divide by 2. Take the better one and divide by two. A bottle of wine from this package does not cost $50. It's very simple math - I would have thought that you could do it:rolleyes:

You should read all the posts you know - this is not about money - this is about choices - nice wines in Europe that people enjoy savouring on their balconies - poor wine choices on HAL - people willing to drink them (HAL's wine) at dinner and in the bars - but wanting a change.

Most who travel to Europe like to pick up a bottle of wine if they enjoy wine. It's not unusual - in fact it's quite common.

It's also about being hit without notice -no emails to anyone - no emails to TA's -people boarding and being embarrassed.

You can have your opinion and I can have mine - but keep away from the cheap shots please - it doesn't become you..

Your inuendos aside - go and price the wine packages and divide by 2. Take the better one and divide by two. A bottle of wine from this package does not cost $50. It's very simple math - I would have thought that you could do it:rolleyes:

You should read all the posts you know - this is not about money - this is about choices - nice wines in Europe that people enjoy savouring on their balconies - poor wine choices on HAL - people willing to drink them (HAL's wine) at dinner and in the bars - but wanting a change.

Most who travel to Europe like to pick up a bottle of wine if they enjoy wine. It's not unusual - in fact it's quite common.

It's also about being hit without notice -no emails to anyone - no emails to TA's -people boarding and being embarrassed.

You can have your opinion and I can have mine - but keep away from the cheap shots please - it doesn't become you..

Oh...I thought I have been reading post after post about the wine prices

and how ridiculous they were. I'm going to brush up on my math and get my eyes checked as well.:rolleyes:

But odds are high that they won't sell that 100 bottles, or what they sell is cheaper. 30 bottles sold at $30, less $250 that HAL paid for the wine, is $650 vs the $1500 they could have gotten.

But odds are high that they won't sell that 100 bottles, or what they sell is cheaper. 30 bottles sold at $30, less $250 that HAL paid for the wine, is $650 vs the $1500 they could have gotten.

When I open a car dealership.. I want you on my lot, You are smooth:)

You're making a lot of assumptions there. I don't think HAL gets their wine for free.

Agree completely with Kazu and Arewethereyet.

I sent an email to customer service yesterday, really ticked with the new policy.

This morning I sent another one emphasizing the unfair way this was implemented when I realized this was what was bothering me the most.

It really is a bizarre way to treat customers.

Just wondering what HAL's responses have been to what appears to be multitudes of emails being sent.

I wasn't calling everyone that brings wine aboard a cheapskate. But cheapskates that would rather drink their wine with dinner would suddenly be doing so.

I take my own bottles to dinner quite frequently, and am happy to pay corkage to do so. My reasons have nothing to do with being cheap. You're making a pretty big and condescending assumption to label anyone who would rather drink a wine of their choice with dinner a cheapskate.

A Beverage Manager told us a couple of years ago that HAL makes an average of 80 cents on the dollar on booze. Not wine, but all booze.

I wonder where wine is in that equation. Since HAL has not allowed beer or liquor to be brought on board, but only wine and champagne, there would seem to be some differences in the profit margins.

Anyone ever hear anything about the margins?

Just wondering what HAL's responses have been to what appears to be multitudes of emails being sent.

I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath :rolleyes: they haven't even replied to FB posts although they are replying to everyone else:rolleyes:

I suspect it will take a few days to reply - hopefully when someone gets one they post here!

I am sure their PR dept. is in overdrive right now. I am also quite sure the response will include something to do with liability. I am not saying liability actually has anything to do with but it's always a good term for the PR staff.

I wouldn't recommend anyone hold their breath :rolleyes: they haven't even replied to FB posts although they are replying to everyone else:rolleyes:

I suspect it will take a few days to reply - hopefully when someone gets one they post here!

I noticed that, too. I'm going to post on FB though...lots of good it will do. Surprised that Cruise Critic doesn't have anything about it in the News section.

Acording to a recent WSJ article the convential mark-up on wines in restaurants is 3 times the wholesale cost. A retail store mark-up is typically 1 1/2 times the whole cost.

HAL prices under their Indulgences section for buying online for you cruise.

Nine Hats Syrah. Retail is $21.99, HAL price is $86.25.

Mondavi Private Select Merlot. Retail is $6.47 HAL is $ 52.50

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut - Retail is $29.99; HAL is $80.96.

HAL prices excessive? You be the judge.

While I can afford all of them, I won't buy them as a matter of principle.

For Neptune Suite Holders:

Those pax have already paid a premium

2 bottles per each pax at embarkation

1 bottle per each pax at ports.

For all other veranda suites:

1 bottle per each pax at embarkation

1 bottle per cabin in ports

Inside cabins should be allowed 1 bottle per each pax at embarkation. It would be quite difficult for those pax to argue how they enjoy a glass of wine on their balcony while leaving port.

HAL sets up a wine allowance table outside of the ship at each port so as to not hamper everyone's ability to get on and off at the ship at every port. You present your room card along with your wine and you receive an allowance receipt that you present to security while boarding.

It will never happen but I think it would be fair.

Archived