If revenue is the issue, what wine policy makes sense?

arewethereyet

For Neptune Suite Holders:

Those pax have already paid a premium

2 bottles per each pax at embarkation

1 bottle per each pax at ports.

For all other veranda suites:

1 bottle per each pax at embarkation

1 bottle per cabin in ports

Inside cabins should be allowed 1 bottle per each pax at embarkation. It would be quite difficult for those pax to argue how they enjoy a glass of wine on their balcony while leaving port.

HAL sets up a wine allowance table outside of the ship at each port so as to not hamper everyone's ability to get on and off at the ship at every port. You present your room card along with your wine and you receive an allowance receipt that you present to security while boarding.

It will never happen but I think it would be fair.

Getting close, but not quite there. The pax in inside or ocean view may want to, 1) take a bottle(s) home; or 2) contribute it to a cabin party hosted by a verandah or suite holder. And I'm sure there are other reasons. Relegating the ability to bring back a bottle from port sounds a little like elitism.

Inside cabins should be allowed 1 bottle per each pax at embarkation. It would be quite difficult for those pax to argue how they enjoy a glass of wine on their balcony while leaving port.

HAL sets up a wine allowance table outside of the ship at each port so as to not hamper everyone's ability to get on and off at the ship at every port. You present your room card along with your wine and you receive an allowance receipt that you present to security while boarding.

Interesting solution - thanks for proposing it.

How would you account for 7 day versus 30 day voyages? Should the longer ones get more of an embarkation allowance, especially the ones that go to non-wine producing regions?

This makes no sense to me. Just because some people are in suites (and they get some perks for that already) doesn't mean that should be related to everything else onboard. what next--2 tops only for suites, 10 tops for inside cabins. Oh, maybe it won't matter since suite people will be eating at PG.:)

Some of us buy a reasonable cabin and save their money for ports. We don't have the deep pockets (or mariner status) of some on these boards, so we pick a cabin that will be comfortable for us, and then spend money on excursions, wine, and other things. We almost always get some sort of OV.

I also think this would be hard for HAL to manage.

ML

How would you account for 7 day versus 30 day voyages? Should the longer ones get more of an embarkation allowance, especially the ones that go to non-wine producing regions?

Yes!! (my bolding)

That has been my biggest complaint about other cruiselines' policies, the same allowance for 7-day as for a 30+ day cruise. It's one of the huge pluses that HAL HAD going for it (besides better itineraries IMO).

Now since HAL is like the others in this regard, the playing field is leveled. HAL should follow Princess and allow 1 bottle per port. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable corkage fee. It's only fair on the longer cruises in Europe especially.

It does not take much for me to switch lines and I doubt I will be sailing Hal anytime in the near future, we cruise every year for decades, after sailing on Staterdam in 1980 I did not sail Hal for 30 years, to many other lines to go back to .

If it is the new wine alcohol) policy that upsets you then you won't have many other lines to choose from.

I am just trying to propose a reasonable solution. Will it work for everyone? No....but I think we need to find a potential starting point.

If it is the new wine alcohol) policy that upsets you then you won't have many other lines to choose from.

You got that right.

That's what HAL is counting on and why this policy is no doubt here to stay in it's current form.

Your choices are basically whether to cruise or not to cruise.

This makes no sense to me. Just because some people are in suites (and they get some perks for that already) doesn't mean that should be related to everything else onboard. what next--2 tops only for suites, 10 tops for inside cabins. Oh, maybe it won't matter since suite people will be eating at PG.:)

Some of us buy a reasonable cabin and save their money for ports. We don't have the deep pockets (or mariner status) of some on these boards, so we pick a cabin that will be comfortable for us, and then spend money on excursions, wine, and other things. We almost always get some sort of OV.

I also think this would be hard for HAL to manage.

ML

It is the opinion of most that this is revenue related. Those who pay more should be allowed additional amenities. If there were not additional amenities offered not too may pax would purchase those cabins.

All I was proposing was a potential solution.

You got that right.

That's what HAL is counting on and why this policy is no doubt here to stay in it's current form.

I respectfully disagree - there are alternatives out there - Princess, oceania and Azamara to name a few. Of course the 6* lines are no issue since they bring on wine from the local ports and there is no charge (and yes, you pay for it in the price) but, if you want a special wine, they have no problem if you bring them on.

There are options out there -

And, in any case, if people have found HAL has gone down and this now makes a difference even switching to another line they will probably save money. HAL doesn't offer the best early booking deals and is quite often more expensive than the others. So, it can all balance out;)

I've seen the posts where HAL is now 4th choice, 3rd choice, whatever.

This will impact them I think. Especially the way they did it. I hope someone in Seattle is paying attention.

Getting close, but not quite there. The pax in inside or ocean view may want to, 1) take a bottle(s) home; or 2) contribute it to a cabin party hosted by a verandah or suite holder. And I'm sure there are other reasons. Relegating the ability to bring back a bottle from port sounds a little like elitism.

HAL is allowing pax to purchase bottles in ports to bring home. This was solely for onboard consumption. I may not quite be there yet but I am a hell of a lot closer to any other solution I have seen on here.

Maybe the inside cabin pax could pay the tip to the room service person bringing the appetizers.

HAL gets their revenue and more pax are happy. Is everyone happy? NO...But this seems to be a reasonable solution.

I am a "not" - what I don't like about this new policy is the way it has been implemented. Sneaky, sneaky! On our last cruise the cellar master was going ashore at one of the ports in France to buy wine for his own consumption! I guess he will be out of luck from here on! DH and I might come in handy to others we cruise with as we can each bring a bottle (under 750ml). I might have made my first and last visit to Total Wines in May with Kazu! Thanks for the experience J!!

Not claiming to have all of the answers. Just trying to provide some sort of solution.

I respectfully disagree - there are alternatives out there - Princess, oceania and Azamara to name a few. Of course the 6* lines are no issue since they bring on wine from the local ports and there is no charge (and yes, you pay for it in the price) but, if you want a special wine, they have no problem if you bring them on.

And, in any case, if people have found HAL has gone down and this now makes a difference even switching to another line they will probably save money. HAL doesn't offer the best early booking deals and is quite often more expensive than the others. So, it can all balance out;)

This will impact them I think. Especially the way they did it. I hope someone in Seattle is paying attention.

I understand where you are coming from, and on the surface agree.

Princess is an option, if you like Princess.

Azamara and Oceania already have a loyal core of passengers that fill their ships. The entire Azamara fleet capacity wise is equivalent to the capacity of the HAL Amsterdam.

Likewise, the entire capacity of the 5 ships in the Oceania fleet is comparable in capacity to the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam combined.

Viking has announced two ships, but these will be smaller as well.

Depending on the type of stateroom or suite you book, these higher priced lines are certainly options.

You do have options, if you're willing to pay more in most cases. But not in the mainstream lines other than Princess (for now).

I plan to check the other lines, Jacqui. I've already started checking Princess...but will check the others as well.

I totally agree with you. I'm sure this will impact them...kind of like "the straw that broke the camel's back" for a lot of us.

We usually cruise in the Caribbean and, in that case, this policy wouldn't bother me as much as it is for our European cruise....where, like you, I looked forward to enjoying the local wines...and not in port as we tend to maximize our time exploring.

Princess is not an alternative - there similar policy went into affect in February/March of this year.

Oceania may not be an alternative either, as it is at a different price point.

You got that right.

Not so. You obviously haven't been getting the loud and clear message here..... it's not the policy as such, but they way they did it. We don't even rate, in HAL's eyes, with smokers - who got 6 months notice of the change of smoking policy (such as it was).

The playing field is now level. So we can choose based on other criteria.

Ha! We just booked a HAL TA crossing cruise precisely because we could bring our own wine on board.

Now I am going to see if I can find a Princess cruise instead. I am happy to pay the $15 corkage fee, but really don't want to be restricted to one bottle per cruise. That's ridiculous.

Ha! We just booked a HAL TA crossing cruise precisely because we could bring our own wine on board.

Now I am going to see if I can find a Princess cruise instead. I am happy to pay the $15 corkage fee, but really don't want to be restricted to one bottle per cruise. That's ridiculous.

I remember the thread when you were discussing your cruise.

If you do cancel, please be sure to notify Stein Kruse at HAL the reason you cancelled and will not be sailing HAL. He needs to know his decision about the wine policy is costing the line bookings.

Not so. You obviously haven't been getting the loud and clear message here..... it's not the policy as such, but they way they did it. We don't even rate, in HAL's eyes, with smokers - who got 6 months notice of the change of smoking policy (such as it was).

The playing field is now level. So we can choose based on other criteria.

Hey, it's not my policy. I did not come up with it, or roll it out with no notice.

I for one don't agree with it.

Please direct your comments to skruse@hollandamerica.com ;).

I was thinking about this. To solve your problem HAL could offer ship sponsored wine related tours in port where those that attend are allowed to bring on one bottle per person for onboard consumption regardless of the category of room they are in.

The simple reason for the change in policy is to increase the bottom line, period.

If they allow you to bring as many bottles onboard as in the past the only income was from the $18 corkage fee charged in the dining rooms. This was generally a bargain considering the mark-up they charged for wine from their wine list. A bottle at retail $20 plus $18 corkage is still cheaper than anything on the wine list.

You now pay $20 per corkage fee for the 2 bottles now allowed. In the majority of cases this corkage will not be collected as people will consume it in their cabin. Voila, if you want wine with dinner you are forced to buy a wine package or from the wine list. Mooorrre income.

NCL charges a corkage fee of $15 per bottle for every bottle brought onboard (no limit) and you are permitted to take the wine to any dining venue, bar/lounge etc.. In order for a person to make this pay off you need to spend roughly $10 to $12 retail plus $15 corkage fee to equal what NCL charges on their wine list for their cheapest listing. Unless the corkage fees collected offset the loss of wine sales, one day they will limit what you can bring onboard also, forcing you to buy their product.

So what is reasonable?

There are many and varied opinions. If the cruise line profits more from corkage fees than wine sales then NCL has the right answer. A reasonable corkage fee makes it attractive to bring your own bottles of your choice.

If this is not the case then HAL will have the solution to increased profits.

Personally I would like the option of one free bottle per person for each 7 days of a cruise for consumption in the stateroom. They can then apply whatever corkage fee they like in the dining rooms . If I deem it reasonable I'll pay it and if not I won't.

The simple reason for the change in policy is to increase the bottom line, period.

If they allow you to bring as many bottles onboard as in the past the only income was from the $18 corkage fee charged in the dining rooms. This was generally a bargain considering the mark-up they charged for wine from their wine list. A bottle at retail $20 plus $18 corkage is still cheaper than anything on the wine list.

You now pay $20 per corkage fee for the 2 bottles now allowed. In the majority of cases this corkage will not be collected as people will consume it in their cabin. Voila, if you want wine with dinner you are forced to buy a wine package or from the wine list. Mooorrre income.

NCL charges a corkage fee of $15 per bottle for every bottle brought onboard (no limit) and you are permitted to take the wine to any dining venue, bar/lounge etc.. In order for a person to make this pay off you need to spend roughly $10 to $12 retail plus $15 corkage fee to equal what NCL charges on their wine list for their cheapest listing. Unless the corkage fees collected offset the loss of wine sales, one day they will limit what you can bring onboard also, forcing you to buy their product.

So what is reasonable?

There are many and varied opinions. If the cruise line profits more from corkage fees than wine sales then NCL has the right answer. A reasonable corkage fee makes it attractive to bring your own bottles of your choice.

If this is not the case then HAL will have the solution to increased profits.

Personally I would like the option of one free bottle per person for each 7 days of a cruise for consumption in the stateroom. They can then apply whatever corkage fee they like in the dining rooms. If I deem it reasonable I'll pay it and if not I won't.

icon14.gif I like! Makes the most sense and is the fairest. There are only approximately five glasses per bottle, so one bottle isn't going to last a couple more than two days. Then they are going to have to buy HAL's wines if they want more for the next five days. I would love to see some statistics on how much HAL thinks it is losing by allowing a reasonable amount of wine on board.

Wish I had that option. With the insurance I took, it would cost me $850 to cancel our TA as I made final payment a week ago. I'm bummed.

And we know that HAL doesn't pay retail . . .

Point well taken although the wholesale to retail markup on wine isn't that substantial. Using the retail price ashore vs HAL's prices provides a good estimate to work with.

Archived