coffee cards

snorkel28

My first Princess cruise. Sapphire Princess 8/31. Are the coffee cards worth it? Does anyone know what types of specialty coffee are available and what size they are? $31 does not seem a bad price for 15, but is it good coffee?

I buy it for the regular brewed coffee which is much better than what is served in the dinning room or buffet. There are lots of speciality coffees and teas to choose from both hot and iced. I think it is worth the price.

At the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35, including gratuity, buys a coffee card with fifteen punchouts for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for brewed and specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service is also syrup based.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, just as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

The specialty coffees are lattes, etc. As I don't partake, I don't have the entire list, but if you search, you will find a menu. I believe costs are between $3-$5, but again, I'm not 100% correct.

With regards to the regular coffee, before you buy a coffee card solely for unlimited brewed, TRY the stuff out of the dispenser on the Lido, the MDR, or room service. Unlike Steve, to me it is NOT a vile concoction and I have no issue drinking it during my cruise, so would not spend the money on a card for unlimited brewed.

This is what's available:

Espresso

Macchiato

Cappuccino

Cafe Latte

Caramel Latte

White Chocolate Latte

White & Milk Chocolate Mocha

Vanilla Bean Latte

Hot Chocolate

Premium Tea

Fresh Brewed Coffee

With the card you get unlimited fresh brewed, hot chocolate and tea. No punches. My husband gets the Caramel Latte; iced. Or the Mocha; also iced.

Just got off Diamond Princess on Sat..We loved the coffee card since we drink mocha/frapps etc. With the card we could order from the Horizon Court/IDR from the waiters and they would bring it to our table during meals or we could go to Calypso Cove and Lobby Bar. We didn't Mind the syrup bases coffee they served but the brewed coffee you get from with the coffee card was definitely a big step up. Mocha?latte style drinks were $2.50 a piece plus gratuity. We used every single punch..:) Enjoy!

Pia does the coffee card still stand for hot chocolate? ThoughtbInread somewhere it's now only on the soda and more sticker? Hope not as I love my hot choc!!!

As of May 4th, unlimited hot chocolate was obtained with the coffee card. My husband drinks a lot of it too.

Can a person get "Gelato" ...using a Punch... on the Coffee Card or showing the Ultimate Soda Card?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above question.

Pat :)

Can a person get "Gelato" ...using a Punch... on the Coffee Card or showing the Ultimate Soda Card?

Thank You in advance for any info you can share with us concerning the above question.

Nope. Neither are good for gelato.

I believe there was a report that the Royal Princess Gelateria is using the coffee card to punch a gelato order.

I believe there was a report that the Royal Princess Gelateria is using the coffee card to punch a gelato order.

I'm pretty sure I remember a post saying it was two punches for gelato.

Nope. Neither are good for gelato.

Yes. Gelato is now a punch, but I don't know if they are doing it on all ships or just on the new Royal. I would think they would do it on all of them, since the cost of gelato is less than the cost of a specialty coffee.

In regards to hot chocolate..it was always available at the Horizon Buffet on the Diamond. It was next to the coffee, tea and water station. It was premade and very good. That was on Alaska trip.

Alaska is different. Not there on other itineraries.

Three scoops of gelato is $1.50 (plus 15% gratuity). One punch of a coffee card costs approximately $1.93 (plus 15% gratuity). Not a good deal. I believe the price of three scoops on the Royal has increased to $2.25 (plus 15% gratuity) so you save money with the coffee card on the Royal.

Yes. Gelato is now a punch, but I don't know if they are doing it on all ships or just on the new Royal. I would think they would do it on all of them, since the cost of gelato is less than the cost of a specialty coffee.

Ok Ok, guess I'll have to cruise more often. Pleasantly surprised that the card has become even more useful.

Three scoops of gelato is $1.50 (plus 15% gratuity). One punch of a coffee card costs approximately $1.93 (plus 15% gratuity). Not a good deal. I believe the price of three scoops on the Royal has increased to $2.25 (plus 15% gratuity) so you save money with the coffee card on the Royal.

If the Royal gelato costs 2 punches, that equals $4.44 so paying the $2.25 price would be a better deal than cardpunching.

Unless you have punches you need to use up. Or you got cards in trade for a mini bar.

Each punch divides out to $2.22 based on the price (gratuity included) paid for the card.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

I wish it would be fleetwide. We have 4 old coffee cards going back to 2008 that still have lots of punches on them. DH loves freshly brewed coffee so he gets his money's worth out of the card, but we have lots of punches left.

I wish it would be fleetwide. We have 4 old coffee cards going back to 2008 that still have lots of punches on them. DH loves freshly brewed coffee so he gets his money's worth out of the card, but we have lots of punches left.

I was told that punches could be used for brewed coffee on your next cruise. I know some people think that is a waste of punches, but I really enjoy the brewed and don't really care about the speciality coffees.

If the Royal gelato costs 2 punches, that equals $4.44 so paying the $2.25 price would be a better deal than cardpunching.

Unless you have punches you need to use up. Or you got cards in trade for a mini bar.

Each punch divides out to $2.22 based on the price (gratuity included) paid for the card.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Whoever posted that two punches were required for gelato on the Royal was incorrect. lynn_rob posted somewhat fuzzy photos of the menu but it is clear enough to see that three scoops of gelato is $2.75 (I was wrong with the $2.25 cost) and only requires 1 punch. Sundaes are also 1 punch, except alcoholic sundaes which are 2 punches. You do need to post all prices without or with gratuity to compare. Three scoops of gelato on the Royal apparently is $3.19 with gratuity, while it is only $1.73 on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. It wouldn't be worthwhile to use a punch costing $2.22 for that purchase on those three ships.

Archived