Approaching Maitre de

pb3053

I would be grateful for any suggestions re the following please. We were a party of 4 and had a table for 4 booked for 2nd sitting on the Eclipse.

Due to illness, 2 of the party have cancelled and I have asked for a table for 2. I am advised that a table for 2 cannot be guaranteed and is a request only.

I believe that when we board there will be an explanatory leaflet in our stateroom advising us of our seating arrangements for dinner.

If I need to speak with the maître de in the MDR re our table for 2 where will I find him/her ( MDR entrance ?) and whats roughly the best time to approach him/her ?. If it seems that there's 'difficulty' in assisting me with my request is it 'advantageous' or 'the done thing' to offer any financial incentive ;).

When you board, there will be a little card on your desk in the cabin designating which seating you're at and your table number. Also in your cabin will be your daily newsletter where it will tell you the location of the Maitre'd and the times he/she will be there. You can go into the dining room and look at your table location, and then if it's not satisfactory you go to the Maitre'd and ask if it's possible to change to a table for two. Don't be surprised if you can't be accommodated because tables for two are highly coveted and there aren't that many.

Others may not like my response but I would go see the Maitre 'd once onboard. Stop by the dining room and there is usually a line for those that need some help. A small gratuity to the Maitre 'd for his assistance - is always appreciated and I've always gotten a good resolution!

I would be grateful for any suggestions re the following please. We were a party of 4 and had a table for 4 booked for 2nd sitting on the Eclipse.

Due to illness, 2 of the party have cancelled and I have asked for a table for 2. I am advised that a table for 2 cannot be guaranteed and is a request only.

I believe that when we board there will be an explanatory leaflet in our stateroom advising us of our seating arrangements for dinner.

If I need to speak with the maître de in the MDR re our table for 2 where will I find him/her ( MDR entrance ?) and whats roughly the best time to approach him/her ?. If it seems that there's 'difficulty' in assisting me with my request is it 'advantageous' or 'the done thing' to offer any financial incentive ;).

After boarding go to the Main Dining room and you'll find someone as you enter that will be handling requests and changes. Do not offer a tip!!!!

After boarding go to the Main Dining room and you'll find someone as you enter that will be handling requests and changes. Do not offer a tip!!!!

I agree you shouldn't HAVE to tip..having said that...when requesting a specific table (size, location, etc), I'm always told they are fully booked, blah blah...but then I hand him a nice tip..and within a day, they find the table i'm looking for.

I think tipping is a personal decision. Depends on how booked up the cruise is (i think most cruise are close to fully booked) and how badly you want a specific table.

This is not to say you can't get the table you want without tipping but I think tipping definitely helps.

just my opinion.

I agree you shouldn't HAVE to tip..having said that...when requesting a specific table (size, location, etc), I'm always told they are fully booked, blah blah...but then I hand him a nice tip..and within a day, they find the table i'm looking for.

I think tipping is a personal decision. Depends on how booked up the cruise is (i think most cruise are close to fully booked) and how badly you want a specific table.

This is not to say you can't get the table you want without tipping but I think tipping definitely helps.

just my opinion.

The person at the door on the first day is not to accept tips! other staff are there at the same time and the person who helps you may be reported. They will do their best to help you without tip. Now, you can show then some appreciation later in the cruise.

Even if a table for 2 is found, it might take a couple of evenings before it becomes available. If you are assigned a big table, and do not wish to get involved, you could always dine in Bistro on 5, the self service restaurant, or one of the speciality ones on the first night.

There is another alternative, if you are able to upgrade to Aqua class, and dine in Blu, and you are guaranteed a table for two, one of the reasons we love Aqua. There a couple of tables that are isolated, although most are in a row a few inches apart, you can talk to your neighbours, or ignore them.

We have always found the maître's d to be very helpful, and will do there best to help you, unlike some of the ones we have had in the MDR's.

Richard

Others may not like my response but I would go see the Maitre 'd once onboard. Stop by the dining room and there is usually a line for those that need some help. A small gratuity to the Maitre 'd for his assistance - is always appreciated and I've always gotten a good resolution!

Totally agree with you! A hand$hake absolutely never hurts. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Much appreciate the advice, thank you all.

Although we have cruised before and always in a group, we havent been in this position before and so I was unaware of the 'protocol'. But now, all has been revealed :D. I will 'play it by ear' on the day and go along with the flow.

I am answering your question from a different perspective. If you are assigned to dine at a larger table, before seeking out the Maitre D, why don't you try your assigned table the first night. You may find you have some lovely and lively tablemates that help make your cruise more enjoyable. DH and I are celebrating our 45th on the Century to Hawaii in December and I would not want to be at a table for 2--- we love eachother but heck--we're retired and together 24/7. We know eachother's jokes etc and it's much more fun to get together with other couples. We're still friends with tablemates we met back in 1998!!!! You have nothing to lose by trying your table. If you are not happy, you can see the maître d when you leave and ask him to change you for the 2nd night. he will be pleased you at least tried your table.

just my opinion.

I am a very good tipper, and I always tip well for good service. However, this is a bribe. Not the same thing, and may be "done," but not by most well-mannered, courteous people.

Why not change to Select Dining, if possible? As we love to chat to people but sometimes like a quiet meal we always do Select dining nowadays and never had a problem to get a table for 2, especially since they use the whole of deck 5 now for this dining venue. ( at least on the M-class ships we have cruised on recently).

I am a very good tipper, and I always tip well for good service. However, this is a bribe. Not the same thing, and may be "done," but not by most well-mannered, courteous people.

Agreed; one thing to tip the Maitre'd after he fulfills a special request, but to hand him money to try and have your special request granted at the expense of others is just tacky, arrogant and rude.

Agreed; one thing to tip the Maitre'd after he fulfills a special request, but to hand him money to try and have your special request granted at the expense of others is just tacky, arrogant and rude.

A little rough, but that is my opinion as well :)

Like I said "others" may not like my response but if you read what I said - I never said hand him cash first, I said "A small gratuity to the Maitre 'd for his assistance - is always appreciated and I've always gotten a good resolution!" Is that a bribe - I think not. :p And if you consider it to be a bribe that is your call however I do not believe that "most well-mannered, courteous people" would point it out regardless.

Like I said "others" may not like my response but if you read what I said - I never said hand him cash first, I said "A small gratuity to the Maitre 'd for his assistance - is always appreciated and I've always gotten a good resolution!" Is that a bribe - I think not. :p And if you consider it to be a bribe that is your call however I do not believe that "most well-mannered, courteous people" would point it out regardless.

The reason some pointed out the boorishness of engaging in this behavior is the OP was asking an honest question about what is acceptable. Since a couple people chimed in essentially stating they bribe the Maitre'D (using other words to try and sugar coat their behavior) and the OP subsequently made a response indicating that based on that feedback they believed this to be customary protocol, some felt the need to speak up and express to the OP that this is not what most people would do and is considered by many to be poor manners. Otherwise myself and others would have had no need to opine. :D

Gonzo70 is absolutely correct! I know most of the people who handle the changes. In the strongest way possible I must say DO NOT TIP WHEN ASKING FOR A TABLE CHANGE!!!! You would only be creating a potentially difficult situation for the Asst. maître 'd or maître 'd who is at the table. There are usually at least two from the Staff who are at the table. Sometime the RM stops by to see how things are going. You may find a dozen or more people also waiting to change their tables. The area to change is open at a designated time so it is unlikely that you would be alone. Tips are not to be accepted by the person who might make the change. If others see him accept a tip the word will spread like wide fire that you need to "bribe" or "pay" for any changes. Of course that's not the case. If you want to show appreciation later in the cruise when you can see the staff member in a private situation, go for it, but don't do anything in public view other than saying: "Thank you".

Gonzo70 is absolutely correct! I know most of the people who handle the changes. In the strongest way possible I must say DO NOT TIP WHEN ASKING FOR A TABLE CHANGE!!!! You would only be creating a potentially difficult situation for the Asst. maître 'd or maître 'd who is at the table. There are usually at least two from the Staff who are at the table. Sometime the RM stops by to see how things are going. You may find a dozen or more people also waiting to change their tables. The area to change is open at a designated time so it is unlikely that you would be alone. Tips are not to be accepted by the person who might make the change. If others see him accept a tip the word will spread like wide fire that you need to "bribe" or "pay" for any changes. Of course that's not the case. If you want to show appreciation later in the cruise when you can see the staff member in a private situation, go for it, but don't do anything in public view other than saying: "Thank you".

As the original poster I am somewhat embarrassed that I ever posed the question in the first place because of the controversy that it has caused :mad:. Orator has twice now given the advice that I shall follow. I thank everyone for their responses, perhaps we can put this to bed now :(.

As the original poster I am somewhat embarrassed that I ever posed the question in the first place because of the controversy that it has caused :mad:. Orator has twice now given the advice that I shall follow. I thank everyone for their responses, perhaps we can put this to bed now :(.

No need to be embarrassed; it was a perfectly legitimate question. Some (with good intentions) referenced behavior that is widely regarded as poor manners and others spoke up with differing viewpoints so you would be able to make an educated decision. Hopefully you end up being assigned the table for two at the onset and it all becomes a mute point.

Archived