Difference between Solstice and Silhouette

languageartslady

Hi, everyone! I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice back in 2009, and I loved her. She was the prettiest ship I have ever been on, and I have been wanting to come back ever since.

I now am booked on the Silhouette, so I am wondering what, if any, differences you noticed? I know that they redid the Lawn Club area, and I'm sure the decor is different, but I am just wondering.

Anyone have a preference between the two? Why?

I am really excited! Any information you have to share would be awesome. Thanks!

They are both good ships. I like Silhouette because of the two extra restaurant choices. However the Corning Glass blowing show on Solstice is terrific.

I found the spa very uneven in service, talent and management on the Silhouette this past spring. But I think that is not in Celebrity Cruises control.

Best of luck with your choice.

The Lawn Grill and the Porch. They also have Quisine rather than the Asian restaurant. These are for an extra fee. The others are the same as the Solstice.

There is also an Art studio that offers classes on Silhouette.

have fun!

Hi, everyone! I sailed on the Celebrity Solstice back in 2009, and I loved her. She was the prettiest ship I have ever been on, and I have been wanting to come back ever since.

I now am booked on the Silhouette, so I am wondering what, if any, differences you noticed? I know that they redid the Lawn Club area, and I'm sure the decor is different, but I am just wondering.

I am really excited! Any information you have to share would be awesome. Thanks!

Silhouette:

The original highlights of the Solstice class ships went overboard: no glass show, major grass lawn sold to private cabanas.

Qsine restaurant added.

Some more cabins and (passengers) added on slightly redesigned stern.

Decor - variation of the same style.

Fountains removed.

Two more lifeboats (less open space on rudimentary promenade deck).

Two slightly smaller balconies on deck 6 got standard size.

The best ship is the Eclipse - the newest of the three that still have Solstice class signature features + new Qsine restauant added.

#2 is the Equinox (same as the Solstice but newer)

#3 the Solstice

#4 the Silhouette

#5 the Reflection - further commercialization of the Silhouette, even more passengers added, more cabanas added, public space reduced, no open observation decks.

Was on the Solstice last year and am boarding the Silhouette tomorrow :). Will try to provide an update as well. What has been provided so far seems to summarize the differences I've heard. I double I'll notice much difference except for the cabanas on the lawn.

I like the small changes they make as long as it doesn't result in the removal of something I like.

This probably won't be of any help at all, but we've been on the Silhouette twice and are off again soon. I have no idea what the Solstice was like, but the Silhouette is a stunningly beautiful ship and you will love the added bits like Qsine and the Hideaway (which I think I have read was new to this ship???) The Lawn Club Grill was ok and we will try it again this year when we need a chill out meal somewhere very hot. :)

We sailed on Solstice in 2009 and we were on the inaugural sailing of Silhouette from Hamburg in July 2011. Both are stunning ships but I felt that the interior design/decor of Solstice was very clinical and cold feeling. Everything seemed to be blue and white.

With Silhouette they had introduced a lot of much warmer colours into the interiors/soft furnishings. I also preferred the Sunset Bar on Silhouette as they have included lots of comfortable outdoor lounge furniture-chairs and sofas with low tables.

I don't remember Solstice having this type of furniture-only wooden dining type tables with upright chairs.

I'm also sure that back in 2009, Solstice did not have the Molecular bar-there was a bar there but it was only used during art auctions and only served the standard bar items.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have a slight preference for the first three Solstice Class ships versus Silhouette and Reflection. I love the Hot Glass shows the first three Solstice Class ships offer; while I do enjoy the Lawn Club Grill, I much prefer the Hot Glass shows. The lawn has so much more open and usable space on the older Solstice Class ships whereas the two newer ships have commercialzed significant chunks of the lawn with gaudy looking cabanas. Aside from the lawn area though, Silhouette is not much different from Solstice.

We definitely like the older 3 lawn area. Putting the cabanas on the Reflection and Silhouette ruined that space and they took away the putting.

We loved the lawn grill on the silhouette and were the only people in there the evening we went but it took the space of the corning glass which I enjoy every time.

However - Silhouette has the english pub instead of Michaels piano bar and that was fabulous

So they need to change the Michaels on the Eclipse, equinox etc and they would be absolutely perfect

Have sailed on Solstice twice and about to go on Silhouette for the second time this Fall.

The hot glass show is great...but I've seen it three times, so, for me the Lawn Club Grill is a better choice, and we had a fantastic time there for dinner. I also really like the Porch. Like Bistro on 5, it's a great quiet getaway for a bite to eat, and the very minimal service charge keeps it from being too busy.

The alcoves are a waste, but, other than dining at the grill or a quick game of croquet, I'm not sure I really need the lawn area...and really like the Sunset Bar on both.

The difference between Silks and Qsine is small- I like both, and would rather have both of them, but, oh, well...

Other than those things, I like both ships equally. Right now, I'd give the edge to Silhouette, but if I hadn't sailed on both already, it would be a toss up.

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Solstice, Equinox & Silho have been our experiences ..all very nice...

not planning on Reflection anytime soon...too big and not very inspiring itins!

Other than losing Sillk Harvest we really enjoyed Silhouette (twice!)

Been on Solstice, Eclipse x 2, and Silhouette--latter was my favorite, but not by much. I agree that the alcoves are a waste of space but had no impact on me. I liked the Hideaway and the overall décor/artwork best on Silhouette but would happily sail any S class ship; however, we get a big kick out of Qsine (especially at 50% off) so Solstice is not really high on our list.

We sailed on Solstice in 2009 and we were on the inaugural sailing of Silhouette from Hamburg in July 2011.

I'm also sure that back in 2009, Solstice did not have the Molecular bar-there was a bar there but it was only used during art auctions and only served the standard bar items.

Can anyone confirm this?

Last December the Solstice had the Molecular Bar:D located by the art gallery.

~~Judy

Also the Michael's club has been converted to a "sports bar" with an expanded choice of great International beers on the last two ships. It is now my favorite. I also like to additional room aft withe the removal of the bar in the buffet area.

I am getting more excited with every additional thing that is pointed out!

The hideaway looks crazy!

I guess it was sad that the lawn was reduced to add pay areas, but I didn't really do much with the lawn except go up and look at it. I live in Florida and we have tons of grassy areas so it wasn't really that interesting, except that it was on a ship.

I noticed that it did look warmer in color scheme... seems soothing!

I actually prefer the Silhouette v. the Solstice. No corning glass show on the Silhouette and Reflection. I found that after the first time you see it, not interesting and horrible bench seating- not great if you have a bad back. Instead of the glass blowing they have a really great restaurant and also a grill. They have Alcoves on the lawn which we enjoyed on the Reflection and will on the Silhouette. Lucky for us, many people do not use as they are very limited- but a wonderful way to spend a relaxing day on very comfortable lounge chairs. Most other venues the same.

Enjoy your cruise.

I actually prefer the Silhouette v. the Solstice. No corning glass show on the Silhouette and Reflection. I found that after the first time you see it, not interesting and horrible bench seating- not great if you have a bad back. Instead of the glass blowing they have a really great restaurant and also a grill. They have Alcoves on the lawn which we enjoyed on the Reflection and will on the Silhouette. Lucky for us, many people do not use as they are very limited- but a wonderful way to spend a relaxing day on very comfortable lounge chairs. Most other venues the same.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks! I am excited. It seems many people prefer one Solstice to Silhouette, so I'm glad to hear your preference. I was feeling a at worried...

Archived