Ri to ny pier...megabus

Bgem75

We are cruising on the NCL Breakaway on Sept 15th.

Looking into bus transportation as we are only a little over 3 hours away.

Many have suggested Megabus but the drop off and pick up points seem a bit undefined.. Ie: Pick up on x street between a and b street.

Have you used them?

Would you recommend them??

Cab ride or walk to pier??

Any help would be appreciated.

Academy is $110pp round trip...

Very expensive to me especially when i can take megabus for a lot cheaper.

Academy I know who ncl reccommends but i have heard some not so flattering things about their bus drivers.

That is why i was wondering if anyone had used megabus.

We had found out about megabus through someone my husband works with, who is using megabus to get to ny for his breakaway cruise the week before ours....

So we cant even ask him questions...lol

I have also looked into peter pan...same cost as academy.

And bonanza who is $90pp roundtrip.

Bgem, we are on the Breakaway two weeks after you and spent too much time planning how to get to NYC and back. I wish more cruise lines and newer ships left out of Boston where parking is so much easier and cheaper. We've never encountered problem bus drivers, only problem passengers - namely some who think they do not have to be on time to board the bus back to this area. The bus drivers wait for these people - personally, I would have left a few of them at the pier.

We made the decision to drive to Stamford and spend the night, leave the cars there and take an early Metro North train to GCS and bus across town. It's not the easiest travel plan, but works best for us.

Darcy

Thank you Darcy!

DH wants to take the bus in and get a cab where ever it drops us off.

Typically i am easy going but I do get nervous in new situations...

We have never sailed out of NY before.

I am more nervous about where the pick up will be after than the drop off.

As the pick up point is different than the drop off point.

When I cruise out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale, we have done it many times and i know the ropes, who to call..etc..

Where we are only an hour from Boston i wouldn't have a problem there as family would drop us off and pick us up..but i want to go on the a new ship!!!!!

I am so excited to get aboard!!!!

I just read the reviews of Megabus on Yelp [things tend to be negative on that site] and given what I read, I wouldn't put my neighbor's annoying dog on one of those busses. Seems to be an issue with leaving on time, drop off location, etc.

Check Bonanza again, they sometimes offer specials and the port authority terminal is closer to the pier.

Darcy

Where is the NY drop off? I've been using Megabus for several years- BUT in my case, it is "contracted" to Shortline who goes to Port Authority. IF you are truly on Megabus, you will be dropped on a street corner. Is it listed as 7th Ave & 28th St? There may be a wait for a cab, and won't be fun in foul weather, so bring a compact umbrella. This would be a LONG walk to the ship, which is on 12th Ave and around 58/59 St.

You are going a week prior to me, I am on the 9/22 Breakaway, you are already late booking your bus tickets, they will only go up as more sell. So, if you are going to take the bus, then book it. Your return tickets should come available tomorrow, so book those early.

Thank you Darcy!

DH wants to take the bus in and get a cab where ever it drops us off.

Typically i am easy going but I do get nervous in new situations...

We have never sailed out of NY before.

I am more nervous about where the pick up will be after than the drop off.

As the pick up point is different than the drop off point.

When I cruise out of Miami and Ft Lauderdale, we have done it many times and i know the ropes, who to call..etc..

Where we are only an hour from Boston i wouldn't have a problem there as family would drop us off and pick us up..but i want to go on the a new ship!!!!!

I am so excited to get aboard!!!!

Not sure why you are worried about the return? You WILL have the exact address, all you have to do, is to take it with you and tell it to a cab driver.

All I can tell you is that I've ridden both Megabus and Bolt several times between NYC and Boston and never had a problem. I like the upper level on Megabus, but there is more shoulder room on the lower level.

Same here, from Baltimore to Manhattan. We prefer Bolt because it's more convenient for us. There are lines every day waiting for the bus and they sell out quickly, so what does that tell you? You should be perfectly fine with the bus, as long as your arrival time plus the cab ride will get to the port on time.

We took Amtrak for years using Amex points & the AAA discount, but the Bolt fares still beat it every time and the ride takes only about 20 minutes longer on Bolt. Sure, you can't get up and walk around on Amtrak, but....

I have a friend who takes Megabus to Manhattan every other weekend alone and has never had a complaint. She uses the time to catch up on work & relax.

DH and I very recently took Bolt for $25 each roundtrip. ;)

I've used Megabus and Bolt for trips to Boston and Buffalo without problem. Megabus arrivals are located at the intersection of 7th Ave and 28th St. You are very close to Penn Station/Madison Garden there will be plenty of cabs on 7th Ave.

Some departures (only) are in the Port Authority Bus terminal but not very many (Atlantic City if I recall) most are from across the street at the Javits Center Between 11th/12th Ave on 34th Street. You have to check with them to know the exact departure location.

These points are so the bus can easily access the tunnel to NJ and they don't have to pay fees to the Port Authority.

FWIW

Have taken Megabus to NYC. It is a crapshoot about the quality of the bus, whether wifi or AC works and if there is double decker bus. Also how light are you packing? There is almost zero storage by seats for most buses and you will have to store most everything below.

My megasbus drop offs in NYC are 7th avenue by 28th. A few blocks from penn station where you can get a cab. And NYC pickups are on 34th st around 12th st by Javits center. Will need cab there as well and should get there at least 30 minutes before bus leaves.

I would take Megabus if I wanted to save a few $ and am traveling light. And I am ok with possibility of being late a couple of hours and willing to possibly put up with a not super comfortable experience. I normally walk or take subway in NYC if I do not have luggage.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We decided to book a Peter Pan bus.

They seem to have a good track record and pretty reliable...

Another plus is that you are dropped off and picked up at the same gate at the Port Authority and so all we need to do is get a cab to and from.

Thank you all for your feedback!!

We also live in RI and took Entertainment bus a few years ago. It was terrible. Our bus got into an accident in NYC and we almost missed the ship. The driver seemed borderline mentally disabled. We are headed to NYC this time on Amtrak. If you go from Kingston station then parking is free, train fare was cheaper than the bus and we have wifi and beautiful views. Also we can get a return train at 9 or 10 rather than waiting till 1 for the bus (which was late last time). Also he almost left without some passengers at the McDonald's stop on the return trip.

And bonanza who is $90pp roundtrip.

Sorry to hijack, but Bonanza is still in business? That was my first job, at the old bus station on Sabin St., I'm from East Greenwich and DH is from Warwick. I was a secretary to a couple of the VPs.

I thought they were bought out by Peter Pan and didn't run buses under their name anymore.

Okay...back to the regularly scheduled program. :D

• 2 weeks later...
We decided to book a Peter Pan bus.

They seem to have a good track record and pretty reliable...

Another plus is that you are dropped off and picked up at the same gate at the Port Authority and so all we need to do is get a cab to and from.

Thank you all for your feedback!!

Bgem75 I hope you see this since its been a few weeks since this thread has been active. May I please ask how you know that Peter Pan will drop you off at the port? When I look at the site all it said is "NY, NY".

Thanks!

Bgem75 I hope you see this since its been a few weeks since this thread has been active. May I please ask how you know that Peter Pan will drop you off at the port? When I look at the site all it said is "NY, NY".

Thanks!

The poster didn't say they would be dropped off at the (cruise) port...they said "Port Authority", which means Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, which is a bit over a mile from the cruise terminal.

The poster didn't say they would be dropped off at the (cruise) port...they said "Port Authority", which means Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, which is a bit over a mile from the cruise terminal.

Thanks for that correction and info njhorseman. I'm trying to decide if I want to take academy or Peter Pan, decisions decisions! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am also undecided. ........ Peter Pan bus?,........NCL bus?.......or train?.......

Peter Pan bus arrive at port authority arriving at 10:15 $65 round trip $130 for two.

NCL bus arriving at pier at 12:30. $55 each way. $220 for two

Train arriving at 10:50 at train station $48 each. Ri to NYC &&&&&. $$ much more coming home

Archived