Alternative Take on Dress Codes

Today, I would guess (it is my guess, you go make your own guess) with life revolving around Taco Bell, McDonald's etc. People EAT. I truly doubt most folks know the definition fo the word Dining when it comes to a fine restaurant, on land or sea.

I would love to know the number of folks that have actually spent an evening... Dining.

I love the CC complaints that Dinner took 2 hours!! The Horror! My personal comment to them is that Taco Bell is only 5 minutes away from the KOA Camp Site.

I can foresee the day when the MDR will no longer require tables and chairs, the food will simply be dispensed in a hog trough and passengers will move along the trough in a moving sidewalk....no more worries about 2 hour dining experiences.....

Of course there are other people in the world (besides yourself, obviously) who "dine" as well as "eat." Everyone else in the world is a not a collection of boors. There actually are some people who share your sensibilities, at least, if not your disdain. It really is a shame, though, that cruising is now available to the great unwashed, eh? :mad:

I agree, I always find it amusing.

What I'm coming to realize though, is that it's not as much the "Thurston Howells" of the world that are taking that stance as one might initially suspect. It seems to me to be more a bunch of "bougie" fellow schlubs.

The "Thurston Howells" of the world are not sailing RCI and are certainly not visiting CC to discuss proper attire. :)

I enjoy formal nights as much as anyone and I even think it fun to get dressed up since we don't get occasion to do that very often on land. However, there is a standard somewhere between "fast food" and tuxedo. I am sure that someone comes the the MDR dressed like they are going to the pool, but I've never seen it. There are also other styles of fancy dress that are not tuxedo for me.

I wonder how many women would be happy if the cruise line (or culture) forced them to wear a black dress with a white collar to formal events with not choice. And lets top it off with a tight fitting jacket that has to be worn in the already too warm dining room.

It is possible to be nicely dressed without being formally dressed.

I never dress formally (on land) to go out to dinner and I almost never go to junk food. And many of the dinners we have (on land) far surpass the quality of the food we get on ships. It used to be that we would cruise because of the quality of the food on ships. It was a special experience with incredible cuisine to try. These days we cruise in spite of it and still enjoy it a lot. But, we are less inspired by what we get these days. What was it Bob Dylan said... "the time's they are a changin'"

Tom

Question: What's the point of providing 5-star food and service to a group of patrons happy to dress for fast-food dinning? Are these food/service declines not just a reversion to the lowest common denominator? After all, it seems universal that specialty restaurants (where you typically find the dress and atmosphere nicer) do the dining experience better.

Will follow whatever dress attire is suggested, be it formal, semi-formal, casual, etc. To ignore it just because it is not mandatory reeks of low-class.

And which class system would that be?

I remember a colleague of mine, a very wealthy one, taking me out for caviar spaghetti (years ago when I worked in The City in London). Not sure whether you see class as old money, new money, no money but well educated etc but he was extremely successful in probably any class structure you suggest. He flipped his tie behind his neck and cut up his spaghetti to make it easier to eat. I could only grin at his confidence in doing such a thing, to him, he cared little of what others thought.

I don't see him much nowadays he retired. I'm guessing he has his own yacht. but I do know for sure, he would wear what he wanted, he may upset some folk, but he genuinely wouldn't care what they thought. He was a kind and generous man, with so much positive stuff to say about others. His world wasn't small enough to worry about class,except maybe trying to remove it for society.

Why is that the worst excuse? I no longer get "dressed up" for work every day as my compnay (and most others, thankfully) have gone to "business casual". However, if I were still wearing a suit and tie every day, it would be the last thing I would want to wear on vacation. After all, a vacation is meant to be a break from the things you do every day. How is that difficult to understand?

I don't think that vacation is meant to be a break from everything you do on normal days. Just because you dress nicely for work doesn't mean that vacation should be a time to never dress up. You could extend that attitude to hundreds of daily things and it would seem silly, like, "I brush my teeth every day before work, so it's the last thing I want to do on vacation." Now that your company has gone "business casual" is that the last thing you would want to wear on vacation?

It is, really, a pretty lame excuse. Not hard to understand; just lame.

I enjoy formal nights as much as anyone and I even think it fun to get dressed up since we don't get occasion to do that very often on land. However, there is a standard somewhere between "fast food" and tuxedo. I am sure that someone comes the the MDR dressed like they are going to the pool, but I've never seen it. There are also other styles of fancy dress that are not tuxedo for me.

I wonder how many women would be happy if the cruise line (or culture) forced them to wear a black dress with a white collar to formal events with not choice. And lets top it off with a tight fitting jacket that has to be worn in the already too warm dining room.

It is possible to be nicely dressed without being formally dressed.

I never dress formally (on land) to go out to dinner and I almost never go to junk food. And many of the dinners we have (on land) far surpass the quality of the food we get on ships. It used to be that we would cruise because of the quality of the food on ships. It was a special experience with incredible cuisine to try. These days we cruise in spite of it and still enjoy it a lot. But, we are less inspired by what we get these days. What was it Bob Dylan said... "the time's they are a changin'"

Tom

LIKE. My husband really does not like wearing a done up collar and tie, it's uncomfortable. He likes looking smart though, but also likes being comfortable.

Most alternative restaurants suggest a jacket but a tie is optional. What my DH dislikes the most is a tie. Who can blame him. He does wear a tux on formal night - I love the way he looks. We did book the aqua show on Oasis on formal night so I guess he will not wear it for long. We will quickly change for the show.

All these clothing threads entertain me. Most people follow the dress guidelines. We will continue to do so because we like to dress for the occasion no matter where we are. If you do not want to don't. If they ask you to leave the MDR do not be upset. (They rarely do anyway.)

Since there seems to be a definitive split on what we are all looking for in our cruise experience it seems like Royal Caribbean could easily solve by taking each of the 3 levels of dining rooms (at least on the ships with 3 levels :p) and have one level for traditional "dress up" dining (which we like to do as it is part of the whole cruise experience for us along with 1 1/2- 2 hours to dine and enjoy each others' company and meet some new folks), one level for those who wish to dress casual and one level for MTD.

However, just because we DO like the whole dress up thing for the dining room we certainly don't judge or care what others around us are wearing and in our experience it is really only a handful that don't appear to follow the suggested dress code. That's why I can't get over why this is such a heated topic on here. I'll bet less than 10% of people on our cruises aren't in line with the suggested dress code in the MDR on any given night...

I don't think that vacation is meant to be a break from everything you do on normal days. Just because you dress nicely for work doesn't mean that vacation should be a time to never dress up. You could extend that attitude to hundreds of daily things and it would seem silly, like, "I brush my teeth every day before work, so it's the last thing I want to do on vacation." Now that your company has gone "business casual" is that the last thing you would want to wear on vacation?

It is, really, a pretty lame excuse. Not hard to understand; just lame.

Of course, a vacation isn't meant to be a break from things like personal hygeine. That's a ridiculous, hyperbolic statement and you know it - since it's typical of most of your entries in these threads.

But that's where it always goes with you and your fellow curmudgeonly band of formal wear defenders - anyone who doesn't want to dress as if they were going to a State dinner at the White House, is a slovenly neanderthal who lacks hygeine and whose mere appearance is an affront to all things decent. How is it possible that there is no in-between?

Of course, a vacation isn't meant to be a break from things like personal hygeine. That's a ridiculous, hyperbolic statement and you know it - since it's typical of most of your entries in these threads.

But that's where it always goes with you and your fellow curmudgeonly band of formal wear defenders - anyone who doesn't want to dress as if they were going to a State dinner at the White House, is a slovenly neanderthal who lacks hygeine and whose mere appearance is an affront to all things decent. How is it possible that there is no in-between?

Actually, almost all of the above is false. Yes, that was a ridiculous example, and I called it out as ridiculous (actually, I used the word silly) just to demonstrate that something you do all the time at home isn't necessarily something you want to not do on vacation.

But I'm not curmudgeonly defender of formal wear. I have stated many times that I think the status quo is just fine. RCI posts suggested attire, most people at least make some attempt to adhere, and those who don't really aren't a problem for me. I think that the respectful thing to do is to follow the dress code, but I'm not in favor of forcing anyone to do so.

I think there is plenty of in-between. But I don't think of vacation as a break from hygiene, nor do I think of it as a break from normal conventions of dress. And guess what, your closing comments are just what you accused me of, ridiculous and hyperbolic.

I apologize if somebody has made this observation before.

1. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in food.
  2. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in service.
  3. There seem to be many who believe the old way of dressing up is going the way of the rotary phone.

Question: What's the point of providing 5-star food and service to a group of patrons happy to dress for fast-food dinning? Are these food/service declines not just a reversion to the lowest common denominator? After all, it seems universal that specialty restaurants (where you typically find the dress and atmosphere nicer) do the dining experience better.

Said another way: In my experience, eating establishments with higher standards for their patrons also apply higher standards to their food and service.

Said yet another way: Why would any cruise line whose patrons can't distinguish between beach wear and formal wear assume they can identify (or even want) a fine dining experience?

Remember this the next time you want to complain about your small, overcooked lobster as you leave the dining room wearing cargo shorts and a Coors Light t-shirt.

In advance, any response that contains "it's my vacation" or a discussion of "suggested versus required" need not apply.

Before you post the usual response, seriously think about this and decide if we are simply now sleeping in the bed we have made?

Like!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? If you have a tight fitting jacket, you need to do one of two things. Diet or buy a new one, I'm sure the old one fit when you bought it.

Never, ever been in an already too warm dining room on a cruise ship. They are usually too cold for me.

"I also believe that people behave better when they are dressed up, especially women when they wear dresses."

=============================================

=============================================

Not at our tables!

They seem to be more fun and behave that way!

So I am going to keep dressing up!:D

Do you deliberately make your posts as pretentious as possible or is it an accident?

We all get that you have cruised a lot. You point it out in almost every post. I promise it doesn't make you better than anyone else. It just makes you look like a blowhard.

i know this phish tales. he is i diamond member working towards dia+

So many posts to respond to.
  1. [*]This is not a typical dress code thread because I am not raising the issue of what should be worn. I am questioning how we got here. I am on record that I don't care who wears what on a cruise.

If you had stopped right there, I would have been on board with you.

Since you asked, when I first graduated college, and got my first job back in the '80s, we wore a suit every day, After 10 years, the dress became more casual....nice shirt and khaki style pants. That has evolved into kahki pants an polo shirts today. Oh, and I work 3 days from home, where I wear shorts, topsiders and a pullover shirt in my home office.

I saw pictures of my Father (an Italian immigrant) on a ship (can't remember the name) when he and his parents, brother and cousins first came to the U.S. on a cruise ship.....3RD Class, who had their own dining facility, far away from 1st class, or even 2nd class passengers. He said they weren't even allowed on the 2nd class or 1st class areas of the ship. The pictures I saw they were in clean clothes, but much more dishevelled than what you see today. Oh yeah, there were two bathrooms/cleaning facilities for the entire 3rd class floor of the ship.

My Father (who refused to fly) had to go back to Italy in the '60s to settle some estate business. He cruised 1st Class this time (at a substantial fare premium). He had pics of sitting at an elegant table wearing a tux at dinner.

Today? There is no 3rd class, or 2nd class, or 1st class on a ship. Anyone can go anywhere, eat anywhere, they choose. Cruising is also more affordable (or more expensive, depending on those extras you pay for) than ever before.

So, as business attire, as well as attire in general has changed over the years, so has the cruise industry.

As you say, you don't care how others dress. I'll take you at your word. I don't care either.

All of this points to "how we got here" which was your original inquiry. My first cruise back in the '80s, I took a tux. In the '90s, I took a suit. In the '00s, I took a sport coat and tie.

For the first time, I'm not even packing a sport coat on the cruise I'll be taking week after next. And, I'm really looking forward to eating in the MDR.

Change is good. If you stay static, you'll be stale. Wear something a little different in the MDR. See how that makes you feel. It might change your outlook for the better.

Still better than shorts and a tank top.

I will still follow the dress code...including dressing up on formal night.

Change is good. If you stay static, you'll be stale. Wear something a little different in the MDR. See how that makes you feel. It might change your outlook for the better.

Archived