Booking on Board for Future Cruise

If you book a cruise while on board, you get on board credit on the new cruise. :)

If there is a price drop on your cabin category before final payment, there is no need to rebook; simply ask for the reduction by having the cabin refared.

You are free to transfer the booking to a TA if you find a better deal.

If you rather, you can buy Future Cruise Deposits and use them whenever you like at home. You get all the same benefit and shipboard credit and they are refundable if not used within four years.

I don't wish to spend my time while on a cruise 'working' with a Future Cruise Consultant during their desk hours and possibly waiting in line to do so. I much rather buy the deposits and use them at my leisure at home.

If you book a cruise while on board, you get on board credit on the new cruise. :)

If there is a price drop on your cabin category before final payment, there is no need to rebook; simply ask for the reduction by having the cabin refared.

You are free to transfer the booking to a TA if you find a better deal.

I don't mean take over this thread but I've some unanswered questions about booking while cruising & thought it pertained to the original post.

Ruth: Could you answer a follow-up question to your comment? If the price goes down before final payment & you have it reduced, do you loose any of your OBC/extras?

The reason I ask is because last Christmas on the Westerdam, i booked for this Christmas on Nordam. Due to a special for a 2014 Christmas booking,we were given a extra OBC, lunch at the PG, & bottle of wine & I was assured that the price could be adjusted without a change to our extras. When we transfered to our TA, she didn't see those extras on our booking and asked for clarification -- it was confirmed that we had items attached to our booking. A few months later, the price went down & TA asked for the price reduction. At that time, HAL indicated that if we took the reduction, we loose our "bonus" items. Or course, we went with the price reduction since it was higher than the OBC. My TA suggested that I talk with HAL directly & did get back some of the OBC -- However, I was told that this was a "favor" rather than a mistake on thier part. Was this handled correctly? Thanks!

I don't mean take over this thread but I've some unanswered questions about booking while cruising & thought it pertained to the original post.

Ruth: Could you answer a follow-up question to your comment? If the price goes down before final payment & you have it reduced, do you loose any of your OBC/extras?

The reason I ask is because last Christmas on the Westerdam, i booked for this Christmas on Nordam. Due to a special for a 2014 Christmas booking,we were given a extra OBC, lunch at the PG, & bottle of wine & I was assured that the price could be adjusted without a change to our extras. When we transfered to our TA, she didn't see those extras on our booking and asked for clarification -- it was confirmed that we had items attached to our booking. A few months later, the price went down & TA asked for the price reduction. At that time, HAL indicated that if we took the reduction, we loose our "bonus" items. Or course, we went with the price reduction since it was higher than the OBC. My TA suggested that I talk with HAL directly & did get back some of the OBC -- However, I was told that this was a "favor" rather than a mistake on thier part. Was this handled correctly? Thanks!

Our TA always calls HAL while we are sitting in her office to see if the price has gone down before we make final payment. On one cruise there was a reduction of a few thousand dollars but we still kept our OBC. It was a good OBC too because it was compensation for chartering out the cruise we had booked and causing us to take an alternate cruise.

HAL usually offers promotions like this during Holiday cruises to encourage you to book for the following year. At times, they will even double the OBC, etc. but you are ultimately paying for these extras in your fares. We are never tempted by these promotions as we know that we are paying a premium for them. If I remember correctly, there is a disclaimer written somewhere that they have the right to withdraw their promotion based on fare reductions. I do think HAL giving you some OBC showed good faith on their part as they did not have to.

Any time a FCC makes promises to you on board, get it in writing. Our experience is they range from stellar to not good at all. Some will go out of their way to assist and fulfill your requests, others will tell you the computer won't allow them to fulfill your request, like reserving a specific cabin.:confused:

I don't understand why your TA told you to contact HAL directly. Once you moved the booking to them, then they should be working on your behalf.

If you rather, you can buy Future Cruise Deposits and use them whenever you like at home. You get all the same benefit and shipboard credit and they are refundable if not used within four years.

I don't wish to spend my time while on a cruise 'working' with a Future Cruise Consultant during their desk hours and possibly waiting in line to do so. I much rather buy the deposits and use them at my leisure at home.

How do you buy future cruise deposits without waiting for the consultants to be at their desks? Are you able to call down to them and purchase them that way?

How do you buy future cruise deposits without waiting for the consultants to be at their desks? Are you able to call down to them and purchase them that way?

They usually will do appointments in the Neptune Lounge on at least one day per cruise - so it avoids any wait for those in the suites (which Sail is).

Speaking for myself only, I just wait until I see that they are not busy and tell them I want ours. The next day there is a confirmation in our room:D

I think what Sail means is that you can purchase a FCC in five minutes flat at the consultant's desk. Then you are on your way.

I am another one who would hate to sit there with an audience while discussing and purchasing a cruise. It is quite time consuming and there is no privacy.

Even if I know the cruise I want I wait until I get home and email our TA.

I was told by the HAL rep that the deposit was nonrefundable if not used.

I was told by the HAL rep that the deposit was nonrefundable if not used.

It depends upon when you bought it. They used to be non refundable. The rules have since been changed so if they have been purchased in the last few months, they are now refundable. Confirmation of which it is is on your FCC under the conditions.

I sometimes send a note asking for how many FCD's I wish to buy, give the FCC our names, cabin number etc and tell them to use the credit card number registered for our on board account. Sometimes I request it through the concierge.

An envelope appears in our mailbox before the end of the cruise.

Ruth: Could you answer a follow-up question to your comment?

I don't want you to think I ignored your query, but by the time I got back to this thread, others had already done pretty well answering you.

I don't want you to think I ignored your query, but by the time I got back to this thread, others had already done pretty well answering you.

Thanks for all responses -- I guess I missed the disclaimer. Since we are teachers who only can cruise during holidays, looks like we will avoid booking on ship.

They usually will do appointments in the Neptune Lounge on at least one day per cruise - so it avoids any wait for those in the suites (which Sail is).

Speaking for myself only, I just wait until I see that they are not busy and tell them I want ours. The next day there is a confirmation in our room:D

On some ships, there is an appointment book placed on a table across from the Consultants desk where you can select a date and time to spend that five minutes to make your future cruise deposit.

How does the Future Cruise Deposit work, exactly?

Because deposits are made per cabin now, and not per person, do I have to buy one for each of our family members (for a total of $500) or do I just need to buy one for the future cruise deposit? I'm planning for next year. I love that they don't expire for 4 years (yay!!).

How does the Future Cruise Deposit work, exactly?

Because deposits are made per cabin now, and not per person, do I have to buy one for each of our family members (for a total of $500) or do I just need to buy one for the future cruise deposit? I'm planning for next year. I love that they don't expire for 4 years (yay!!).

This is the first I have heard about deposits being per cabin and not per person. Do you know when that started? I am just waiting for our TA to get back from vacation so I can book the Nieuw Amsterdam for a few weeks in December 2014. We have to book by the 27th to get an OBC promo.

On some ships, there is an appointment book placed on a table across from the Consultants desk where you can select a date and time to spend that five minutes to make your future cruise deposit.

The last thing I want to do while on a cruise is bother with 'appointments'. We all have to do them at home in our regular lives but I avoid them at all costs while on vacation. :) There are any number of other things I'd rather do than appear at a stated time.

This is the first I have heard about deposits being per cabin and not per person. Do you know when that started? I am just waiting for our TA to get back from vacation so I can book the Nieuw Amsterdam for a few weeks in December 2014. We have to book by the 27th to get an OBC promo.

I haven't heard of deposits per cabin vs. per person either.

If it has been written here, I totally missed it.

Hopefully, someone will give us more info.

We do book on board occasionally when there's a special situation we're looking for; e.g., an Alaska cruise that extends down the coast. I find it easier to do in person than exchanging emails with my TA.

We are able to get the info directly, book the cabin we want, and it all gets instantly transferred to our TA, where we get her prices and OBC. The FCC is able to give us that info, too, except possibly the OBC, so we know what our actual price is.

To me, it's a good 10-15 minutes spent, since we sign up for appointments. It's also a great chance for SIL and me to talk it over in person, since she lives in Chicago and I live in LV. Saves a lot of emails and phone calls.

A PCC told me deposits were $1200 per cabin (right now $600). We wanted to book 2 cabins recently with 2 in one cabin and 3 in another and both cabins had a deposit of $1200 for a total of $2400 deposit for 5 people. Of course, the PCC could have been mistaken in how she explained it to me.

A PCC told me deposits were $1200 per cabin (right now $600). We wanted to book 2 cabins recently with 2 in one cabin and 3 in another and both cabins had a deposit of $1200 for a total of $2400 deposit for 5 people. Of course, the PCC could have been mistaken in how she explained it to me.

I did read somewhere about half price deposits but can't remember where. Were you given the third person in the room free maybe? However it was calculated it sounds good.

I knew your answer would come while I was sleeping as I realised as soon as I posted that you would be sleeping at that time. Thanks for your reply. :)

I did read somewhere about half price deposits but can't remember where. Were you given the third person in the room free maybe? However it was calculated it sounds good.

I knew your answer would come while I was sleeping as I realized as soon as I posted that you would be sleeping at that time. Thanks for your reply. :)

Half-priced deposits are part of the Explora4 we discovered when we booked or latest cruise.

Archived