need to cancel upcoming cruise

bindy1

We are looking into cancelling our upcoming cruise on the Dream in a few weeks. We are booked early saver and have a small onboard credit due to price drops.

Lots of family issues mainly mother in law has recently been moved to nursing home due to stroke. She is not doing well with her new surroundings. Her and my father in law are divorced so it is just my husband. His brother is not in the picture at all. We do have travel insurance but it does not cover cancel for any reason.

Anyhow, I was wondering if we could cancel our cruise and rebook a family cruise for spring break in March 2014. What is the penalty? Do we lose all our money or is there just a penalty to make the change?

We are looking into cancelling our upcoming cruise on the Dream in a few weeks. We are booked early saver and have a small onboard credit due to price drops.

Lots of family issues mainly mother in law has recently been moved to nursing home due to stroke. She is not doing well with her new surroundings. Her and my father in law are divorced so it is just my husband. His brother is not in the picture at all. We do have travel insurance but it does not cover cancel for any reason.

Anyhow, I was wondering if we could cancel our cruise and rebook a family cruise for spring break in March 2014. What is the penalty? Do we lose all our money or is there just a penalty to make the change?

In addition to the $50 penalty and losing your OBC you would also lose 50 to 75% of your cruise fare based on the following table. The balance would be held as an OBC toward a future cruise.

6 Day or longer cruises (Including Alaska and Hawaii)

Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 56 days Deposit

55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less 100% of total Fare

MIL is getting great care and is getting all kinds of therapy everyday. She complains that she is in prison being in the nursing home. The rest of her extended family are not travelers/vacationers so they do not understand why we would ever go on vacation and "leave her in that place." Also throw in some inheritance money and a trust fund for MIL that my husband is the trustee for and it is quite the melting pot of family drama.

With the steep penalties it looks like we will be cruising "in secret." No one has mentioned anything lately I hope they have forgotten about it and we can just disappear for 8 days. Not likely - his cousin and aunt will probably track us and down and be calling the ship! lol!

Since they have so much to say about you all "leaving her in that place" THEY can volunteer to help look after her and visit for those 8 days. After all, its only 8 days.

Go enjoy your cruise- you deserve it! When you come back you can work out all the kinks of a nursing home, adult day care, home health aide or whatever route you chose!

If you have insurance, I think you could cancel due to your MIL's health if you are the caregivers with the responsibility. You would just need a Dr.'s letter saying you need to stay closeby due to her health.

I have never done this, but we have 3 aging parents and I purchase insurance thinking that we can do this if needed.

I hope you go and enjoy your cruise, but if that is impossible, you should contact a Dr first and then the insurance and find out what your options are.

Since they have so much to say about you all "leaving her in that place" THEY can volunteer to help look after her and visit for those 8 days. After all, its only 8 days.

Go enjoy your cruise- you deserve it! When you come back you can work out all the kinks of a nursing home, adult day care, home health aide or whatever route you chose!

My thoughts exactly!

I mean really, if they have such an issue with your MIL being in "that place" then they are more than welcome to take her into their home and provide her with the care she requires. But nope, sounds like they like to be critical without offering any reasonable alternatives and the only ones that need to sacrifice is you. :rolleyes:

Your MIL, Im sure will be fine and is receiving wonderful care. You all deserve to take a week and enjoy yourselves. Hope it all works out.

If said extended family is so judgmental, then maybe they should step up and volunteer to help??? But my guess is they are not.

I am all for sneaking out of town for 8 days and not telling anyone. :o

MIL is getting great care and is getting all kinds of therapy everyday. She complains that she is in prison being in the nursing home. The rest of her extended family are not travelers/vacationers so they do not understand why we would ever go on vacation and "leave her in that place." Also throw in some inheritance money and a trust fund for MIL that my husband is the trustee for and it is quite the melting pot of family drama.

With the steep penalties it looks like we will be cruising "in secret." No one has mentioned anything lately I hope they have forgotten about it and we can just disappear for 8 days. Not likely - his cousin and aunt will probably track us and down and be calling the ship! lol!

GO!! you will need this respite time to get ready for what lies ahead. As a member of the 'sandwich generation" I totally understand your situation. I am sure that you picked her nursing home with great care and it is the best place for her right now. If relatives get angry with you TOUGH. Our dad was contemplating having surgery while my sister and I were about to leave for our vacation. He didnt end up having it but we were set to go knowing he would be well taken care of while we were gone and we would be rested to care for him when we returned.

Please go!

Please I feel for you, my MIL is also in a place and likes to play the drama queen. Do not let your families emotionaly blackmail you. You husband needs to stand his ground and tell the rest of the family to bug out. If they are so concerned about their aunt then let them know how it feels to care for her for 8 days. They know where she is at! Caring for an elderly family member, can challenge even the strongest person. You need you time and deserve it. Take the cruise, know that you are doing your best for you MIL and enjoy your time. She will be fine.

Nancy

I agree, if the rest of the family has something to say about it, then they should step up. Putting a loved one in a nursing home is not an easy decision, yet sometimes it is what has to be done. You deserve your vacation, so take it. If they are so concerned then they will be there visiting your MIL.

Just go and have a good time. It sounds like you and your husband really need the vacation. I remember when my grandmother lived with us but could not really be left alone, we put her in a kind of temporary care place for a week so my mother could take a vacation. She was confused, but my mother's need for the break was more crucial than the temporary trauma to my grandma. I think she was afraid we were putting her in a home indefinitely. But the less information you give to the family about your vacation, the better. I'm sure there's some jealousy there. You need rest and relaxation to cope with a stressful situation and you know that your MIL is in good hands.

She is in a nursing home where she is getting the nursing care and therapy her doctor has ORDERED. Check with him to see if discharge is likely before your cruise date. (I doubt it!) if not.... GO FOR IT! I assume your husband has power of attorney, etc. Nothing will change in the SHORT time you will be on your cruise.

She is in a nursing home where she is getting the nursing care and therapy her doctor has ORDERED. Check with him to see if discharge is likely before your cruise date. (I doubt it!) if not.... GO FOR IT! I assume your husband has power of attorney, etc. Nothing will change in the SHORT time you will be on your cruise.

You'd be surprised as to how fast that can happen.

Bindy--have things in place JIC she is discharged. Had to do this when Grandma was discharged and the rest of the family was on vacation. Mom and I had decided on several different locations depending on what level of care she needed.

If this is the case talk to her doctor and social worker about her prognosis.

I say go on your trip, but if you are unable to do so I will tell you from personal experience, I am booked early saver and had to postpone/rebook my trip twice, and *all* it cost me was a $50/pp administrative fee and the price difference of the new cruise.

There were no other penalties.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

Is it fair to assume the move to the nursing home is for rehab?

She's not adapting well, that is more common than you think. The person's lifestyle has been turned upside down and now their life is on a schedule to what a nursing home needs to do to keep things running smoothly. Meals 3x's a day on schedule, modesty lost for personal care, therapy etc.

Then, there's the person who tells a family member they haven't been fed, they didn't get their medicine etc. Of course the family believes their loved one and puts in a complaint. That's why so much nursing documentation is required about all aspects of the care.

If you feel strongly about cancelling, I can't help but think insurance might cover it. It's not really a cancel for any reason. A call to the insurance might give you an answer, it is a health issue.

MIL was in a rehab facility for a couple of weeks then she moved to nursing home. I think this will become more of a permanent home for her given her prognosis and the fact that she really cannot live by herself. She is approved to stay for 6 months. I don't think there is any possibility that she will be leaving nursing home anytime in the near future.

I think there was a poster above that mentioned drama?? This is our biggest issue. We snuck off for our family vacation last month and didn't tell anyone where we were going. My husband could justify that trip because it was our only family trip this year. But us going on a cruise is giving him some guilt. So I was trying to see if we could just cancel this cruise and go later.

Not sure how our insurance would work since we are not her caregivers although my husband has power of attorney - medical and legal.

We are going to call Carnival tonight and see what they say. If it is just a $ 50 pp to change to another cruise at a later date then that is probably what we will do.

However...there may be more issues "later". I guess it's really up to your husband and his level of guilt about his mother....NOT what the relatives say.

She is in a nursing home and she will be attended to. The only thing your husband will be doing is "holding her hand".

MIL was in a rehab facility for a couple of weeks then she moved to nursing home. I think this will become more of a permanent home for her given her prognosis and the fact that she really cannot live by herself. She is approved to stay for 6 months. I don't think there is any possibility that she will be leaving nursing home anytime in the near future.

I think there was a poster above that mentioned drama?? This is our biggest issue. We snuck off for our family vacation last month and didn't tell anyone where we were going. My husband could justify that trip because it was our only family trip this year. But us going on a cruise is giving him some guilt. So I was trying to see if we could just cancel this cruise and go later.

Not sure how our insurance would work since we are not her caregivers although my husband has power of attorney - medical and legal.

We are going to call Carnival tonight and see what they say. If it is just a $ 50 pp to change to another cruise at a later date then that is probably what we will do.

Please keep us posted.

Check your insurance. We planned a cruise and FIL is in a nursing home. I made sure the plan would cover us if he dies or takes a turn for the worst. But if you can go on the cruise by all means go.

Please go on your cruise You need it My dad was in the hospital from November till December then rehab for 6 weeks I know the drama I know about the accusations the money She will be fine You aren't moving away you are taking a breather I am sure you can tell the staff where you will be if there is an emergency You didn't book it yesterday you booked it a long time ago and you should not lose your money or sanity because of other's disapproval Life happens and you have to just go with it Cancelling your vacation isn't going to make anyone happy and the drama will go on So go try and have fun and he can give her a little extra attention when you get back

Archived