What is Steerage Society

cruising lady

Have seen this in peoples signature anyone know what it is?
Usually it is just used in a facetious way by people who like to book the lowest priced cabins, similar to the way that people refer to the airline coach section as steerage.

The expression is sometimes used for contrast after someone else posts about booking one of the most expensive suites.

Have seen this in peoples signature anyone know what it is?

In the early days of steamship sailing, you were considered a "steerage passenger" if you were second-class on the ship. You stayed on the crowded bottom level of the ship with few amenities. Many of us CCers jokingly call ourselves the "Steerage Society", because we haven't reached the higher C&A levels, or book inside cabins instead of suites. All done in fun! :)

The term Steerage Society has been around for generations, even extended to include other forms of travel and accommodations besides ships.

My grandparents and their friends used to say they belonged to the Steerage Society when they traveled long distances by train in sleeping berths because they could not afford the private sleeper compartments that "rich" people booked.

Some of them, or their parents, had actually come across the ocean to the United States in steerage, which was probably where they first picked up the term.

On my last cruise the newlywed couple in the Love and Marriage game admitted to joining the mile high club on Deck 5 on a voyager class ship. Everyone was speculating as to what very public location on that deck they used.

• 1 month later...
On my last cruise the newlywed couple in the Love and Marriage game admitted to joining the mile high club on Deck 5 on a voyager class ship. Everyone was speculating as to what very public location on that deck they used.

I bet we were on the same ship, explorer of the seas lol?

In the early days of steamship sailing, you were considered a "steerage passenger" if you were second-class on the ship. You stayed on the crowded bottom level of the ship with few amenities. Many of us CCers jokingly call ourselves the "Steerage Society", because we haven't reached the higher C&A levels, or book inside cabins instead of suites. All done in fun! :)

Actually, "steerage" was not second class. At best it was third class. On some ships in the early days there would be first class, then cabin class, the. Tourist class, and finally steerage. Regardless of the number of categories, steerage is the lowest. The term nowadays generally refers to the cheapes accommodations - in ships or airplanes.

One other possibility, rather remote however, is that OP is referring to an association at Auburn University -- essentially for Navy ROTC midshipmen primarily interested in surface warfare assignments (as opposed to aviation or submarine, for example) open bein commissioned.

Actually, "steerage" was not second class. At best it was third class. On some ships in the early days there would be first class, then cabin class, the. Tourist class, and finally steerage. Regardless of the number of categories, steerage is the lowest. The term nowadays generally refers to the cheapes accommodations - in ships or airplanes.

One other possibility, rather remote however, is that OP is referring to an association at Auburn University -- essentially for Navy ROTC midshipmen primarily interested in surface warfare assignments (as opposed to aviation or submarine, for example) open bein commissioned.

Whatever the level/class, if it's the bare minimum accomodations....that's me, and quite OK with it.

"Squid Deck"-- I LOVE that!

Although a deal will sometimes be available that makes it as cheap, or perhaps even cheaper, to get a cabin on a higher deck, the lowest one generally offers the best price as well as the most stable ride in the event of rough seas. I thus usually refer to my cabin as "the much sought-after Bilge Deck Suite".;)

...apart from the extra sea motion, of course, is what I call "the bow thruster serenade"-- 40 minutes of electric whining and lower-pitched thrumming first thing in the morning on every port day, an alarm clock you CAN NOT SHUT OFF.:eek: So unless you're one of those "Up with the sunrise every morning" types, it's best to look for something closer to midships!

"Squid Deck"-- I LOVE that!

Although a deal will sometimes be available that makes it as cheap, or perhaps even cheaper, to get a cabin on a higher deck, the lowest one generally offers the best price as well as the most stable ride in the event of rough seas. I thus usually refer to my cabin as "the much sought-after Bilge Deck Suite".;)

Now where is that LIKE button???? That is a good one.

...apart from the extra sea motion, of course, is what I call "the bow thruster serenade"-- 40 minutes of electric whining and lower-pitched thrumming first thing in the morning on every port day, an alarm clock you CAN NOT SHUT OFF.:eek: So unless you're one of those "Up with the sunrise every morning" types, it's best to look for something closer to midships!

I stayed in one of those, on both of my cruises. I kind of preferred it this way, despite not being a morning person on land. I wanted to maximize my time in ports. I can always catch up on sleep after I get home, but it's uncertain when I'll be able to return to the same places. So anything that helped me be ready to go ashore on time was a big help. The sea motion was nice too; it had me falling asleep within minutes.

Archived