Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

I wish I could - I have over 125,000 points and wanted an Oasis or Allure cruise, but I can't book one right now due to having two kids (3/4th pax aren't exactly cheap)...

I get angrier about this every time I think about it. My loyalty to Royal Caribbean and (BOA for that matter) - 9 cruises - apparently means nothing to them. It only takes one experience to ruin a brand/customer relationship, and this was it for me.

I'm not going to thump my chest and swear that I'll never cruise them again, because I clearly liked their product. However, today I applied for and was approved for the Capital One Venture card mentioned in this thread - 2 points for every purchase, which never expire, and they can be applied to any travel expense. Which means I'm no longer limited to looking just to Royal Caribbean for my cruise purchases... Royal Caribbean has opened the door for me to choose other cruise lines. Not smart for them. At all.

I'll sit on these points that I have until such time as I can use them, and after that you'll see me on other cruises - maybe RCCL, maybe some other cruise line. But I won't be a GUARANTEED CUSTOMER any longer, RCCL.

Welcome to Capital One, believe me you won't be sorry. Unless you like standing on your head jumping through hoops on the day they tell you to.

As dedicated as we are to RCI and BofA, I will think of using CO as a way to save MORE to go against our next RCI cruise and as a result, maybe take that cruise a little sooner with the extra points earned.

One thought I had as I was talking with my wife about this last night is that I'll probably use the points against airfare - you tell me a cruise is $X, I say fine and pay the money because I see value in that. Tell me airfare is $X and no matter what X is I'm still going to be upset because it's too damn much money just to get me from Airport A to Port B. :)

To check whether there's a promo running, and if your card qualifies, go to this link:

https://easyrewards.bankofamerica.com/

Best post ever on CC. I had never heard of these promotions either, but once visiting this link, it did indeed offer 5% on "back to school" shopping, and I signed up for text messages notifying of new promotions.

When you go to this link, you don't need a "registration code". Click the "don't have one" link.

I'm a little late to the dance , but just applied for the Capitol 1 card , seeing as the RCI cards are not available in Canada , I spend on average 150000.00 yearly and have just been using a cash back card but as it seams I'm spending more than that on cruises it's a no brainier , just wish the RCI card was one I could obtain

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have the RCCL card, and use it only for RCCL purchases. Getting 2% cash equivalent back is OK, but it's not great. Even better now that it works on Celebrity too. One can get 1.5%-2% cash equivalent back with other cards.

If it is true that you can redeem for OBC only after 25,000 points, then that is then end of that. But I hope that's an error. I just redeemed all my points for OBC just in case, and was able to do so in $50 increments.

However, for those considering dropping this card .. do not close a credit card account .. ever (assuming no annual fee). That harms your credit score because it reduces your available credit. Cut it up if you'd like, and they'll cancel it in a year or two for you. But better yet, charge that McDonald's purchase every 6 months or so to keep it in your credit mix.

Good resources for credit card savvy: The forums at fatwallet.com and http://creditcardtuneup.com/.

Best post ever on CC. I had never heard of these promotions either, but once visiting this link, it did indeed offer 5% on "back to school" shopping, and I signed up for text messages notifying of new promotions.

When you go to this link, you don't need a "registration code". Click the "don't have one" link.

when i click on the "don't have one" I put in my info, but still doesn't give me a code, am i doing something wrong?

when i click on the "don't have one" I put in my info, but still doesn't give me a code, am i doing something wrong?

It won't give you a code. If your card is eligible for the promo, it will enroll you and give you a message to that efffect.

Just got off the phone with the RCL redemption center (was on hold for almost 30 minutes before getting to speak with an agent.) Happy that I did not hang up before getting a real live person on the line. Bottom line, I was able to redeem 125,000 points in the old "Royal Points" program and was told that I can apply the points to a "free" sailing on the Allure!! Called my TA and had her book the Allure for her Apr 27, 2014 sailing. We are now ready to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary onboard the Allure on May 3, 2014!!!

Based on info provided by the very kind lady at the redemption center (in Wichita), the "old" points program is still in place today but it is expected to be replaced with the new, much talked about, program at any moment. If you are considering using points for a benefit that is unique to the "old" (Royal Points) program, action should probably be taken very quickly!

PS: As I stop to think about this "whirlwind" booking of the free cruise on the Allure today, I realize that I need to stop and thank this CC board and its members for making me aware of the forthcoming changes in RCL's Visa card benefits program. Had I not visited this thread, I would have almost certainly missed the chance to book our cruise of choice using our points!! THANKS!!

I guess I've missed something "Big Time" :confused:

Why is there any need to rush applying points to Allure sailings? Hasn't she already been sailing for over thirteen months? Didn't she go into service in November 2010?

Ray in NH --- Confused AGAIN :o

Edited by Ray in NH

Why is there any need to rush applying points to Allure sailings? Hasn't she already been sailing for over thirteen months? Didn't she go into service in November 2010?

The new program almost doubles the points required to book oasis or allure

Decide for yourself See Rewards However there are some major errors in the breakdowns.

The 125,000 points level for a 5-7 night sailing for 2 now "excludes" Oasis and Allure. You now need 350,000 points.:eek:

Edited by cruisenfever

Actually a car dealer will not let you buy a car on a credit card, because it will cost him 2% to the credit card company. They will let you do it, but they will jack up the price of the car. I tried to do it on a 22,000 dollar car a few years back. I also tried to pay for collage tuition with the card, again they wanted 2% more. The merchants are paying for all the points that we get.
I don't know about the car dealer as I would probably not do that:cool: but we did buy a time share with it ( bad decision and another story:eek:) anyway. One of the colleges did allow the credit card payments ( private college) but the state school did not. I'm so glad that's all over!

The new program almost doubles the points required to book oasis or allure

Decide for yourself See Rewards However there are some major errors in the breakdowns.

The 125,000 points level for a 5-7 night sailing for 2 now "excludes" Oasis and Allure. You now need 350,000 points.:eek:

A huge "Thank You" to both of you.

I have only been "sort of" following this thread. I saw some of the comments about can't book "new" ships during their thirteen month Inaugural Season, and comments about "getting in under the wire". That is where I got lost.

Having done the Allure and enjoying it very much, no desire to go back unless they come up with different itinerary (NOT holding my breath). To each his own -- good thing there are lots of ship's, cruise lines, and many interesting itineraries. :D

Ray in NH -- crawling back under his rock

One thought I had as I was talking with my wife about this last night is that I'll probably use the points against airfare - you tell me a cruise is $X, I say fine and pay the money because I see value in that. Tell me airfare is $X and no matter what X is I'm still going to be upset because it's too damn much money just to get me from Airport A to Port B. :)

So true. And to have the flexibility to do as you wish. One more reason we are switching.

I wish I could - I have over 125,000 points and wanted an Oasis or Allure cruise, but I can't book one right now due to having two kids (3/4th pax aren't exactly cheap)...

I get angrier about this every time I think about it. My loyalty to Royal Caribbean and (BOA for that matter) - 9 cruises - apparently means nothing to them. It only takes one experience to ruin a brand/customer relationship, and this was it for me.

I'm not going to thump my chest and swear that I'll never cruise them again, because I clearly liked their product. However, today I applied for and was approved for the Capital One Venture card mentioned in this thread - 2 points for every purchase, which never expire, and they can be applied to any travel expense. Which means I'm no longer limited to looking just to Royal Caribbean for my cruise purchases... Royal Caribbean has opened the door for me to choose other cruise lines. Not smart for them. At all.

I'll sit on these points that I have until such time as I can use them, and after that you'll see me on other cruises - maybe RCCL, maybe some other cruise line. But I won't be a GUARANTEED CUSTOMER any longer, RCCL.

Just make sure you know when some/all those points expire, because they don't tell you when they are about to expired, they just take them.

Just got off the phone with the RCL redemption center (was on hold for almost 30 minutes before getting to speak with an agent.) Happy that I did not hang up before getting a real live person on the line. Bottom line, I was able to redeem 125,000 points in the old "Royal Points" program and was told that I can apply the points to a "free" sailing on the Allure!! Called my TA and had her book the Allure for her Apr 27, 2014 sailing. We are now ready to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary onboard the Allure on May 3, 2014!!!

Based on info provided by the very kind lady at the redemption center (in Wichita), the "old" points program is still in place today but it is expected to be replaced with the new, much talked about, program at any moment. If you are considering using points for a benefit that is unique to the "old" (Royal Points) program, action should probably be taken very quickly!

PS: As I stop to think about this "whirlwind" booking of the free cruise on the Allure today, I realize that I need to stop and thank this CC board and its members for making me aware of the forthcoming changes in RCL's Visa card benefits program. Had I not visited this thread, I would have almost certainly missed the chance to book our cruise of choice using our points!! THANKS!!

Yes thanks to the board for bringing this situation to light. I called this morning and redeemed the 125k for the allure as well.

I was told that I would receive an email confirmation but have not yet. Did you receive one? I'm hoping with maybe the flurry of redemptions they might be behind.

Yes thanks to the board for bringing this situation to light. I called this morning and redeemed the 125k for the allure as well.

I was told that I would receive an email confirmation but have not yet. Did you receive one? I'm hoping with maybe the flurry of redemptions they might be behind.

I redeemed my points for Quantum of the Seas on Sun., and haven't received confirmation email either. I did call and they said points were redeemed and gave me confirmation #.

Actually, I received the e-mail while I was still on the phone with the agent. She seemed surprised when I told her that her e-mail had just come into my inbox.

It appears that the corrected version of the rewards PDF is now up (as of this morning)!

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal_awards_chart_web_08.20.2013.pdf

:)

Thank you for the update. Hopefully that is now correct.

I have such a headache reading the levels, restrictions, which line is for what reward, 1 for 1 in points etc, just makes the Capital One look all that more enticing. Won't matter if I use the points for Celebrity, RCI or for which ship during which month, inside, outside etc. Plus will have a lot more points to use.

Just don't understand why RCI has to make it so difficult.

Do you get one dollar or two for each dollar spent?

Not sure which card you are asking about but with Capital One you get 2 points for every dollar spent and occasional promotions for more.

With RCI Visa you get 1 point for every dollar spent unless you are paying RCI for cruise or other items when you get 2 for 1. Occasionally RCI Visa will run a limited promotion for more points but it is minimal.

We are making the switch for more points and far more flexibility.