cell phones in Europe--need info

NoWhiners

Hi All

I posted in the Europe boards but didn't get quite what i was looking for, but I did get some good feedback, so I am going to try here.

We are going on a cruise around the Black Sea in October, mostly Greece, Turkey and a stop in Sochi, Russia. Neither of us has a cell phone (I know, amazing!!). Hubby thinks we should just not bring a phone but i am thinking it would be good to have in the ports (to meet up with or contact our private tour guides), in Athens where we have pre-and post-cruise hotel nights booked, and as an emergency number for people back home. I will have my netbook and will check email at the hotel and 1 or 2 ports during the 14 day cruise. And, we will leave the ship's emergency number just in case. We will have a house-sitter and some friends who will know what to do (per our discussions with them) in case of some "predictable" emergencies. I do know that phones in Europe must be GRM.

So, I have 2 questions:

When have you needed a cell phone when cruising around Europe? Just to call home or for other things, or just in case you have an emergency? I would like to understand the experiences people have had, which could help us decide what to do.

I am thinking of renting from rebelfone but I can't tell if they have a phone that will work in all the different countries we are visiting. I would be fine with a phone that just worked in Greece, Turkey, and Russia. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for what we could do to get a phone for just this trip? On the other thread, I got a great tip about Mobal phones but they get inconsistent reviews by users.

Thanks for any thoughts/insights

ML

I like to have a cell phone when I travel, mostly for emergencies, and when I was in Portugal for 2 weeks I bought a local phone with some included minutes, but never used it. On my most recent trip to Portugal, I used my iPhone (with a local SIM card), and I enjoyed being able to use the mapping function.......but I was on my own without a tour guide or excursion, and I could have done the same with a paper map. I think having one for safety is relatively inexpensive.

You should be able to get a trans-Europe phone, with some included time, from various places on the internet. http://www.telestial.com/ This is one company from whom I've bought a SIM card, but not a phone - I have no stock in the company, just a good experience with the card. It looks like you can get a phone and a cheap card that will work in multiple countries around the world. I'm sure there are similar companies you could research.

I like to have a cell phone when I travel, mostly for emergencies, and when I was in Portugal for 2 weeks I bought a local phone with some included minutes, but never used it. On my most recent trip to Portugal, I used my iPhone (with a local SIM card), and I enjoyed being able to use the mapping function.......but I was on my own without a tour guide or excursion, and I could have done the same with a paper map. I think having one for safety is relatively inexpensive.

You should be able to get a trans-Europe phone, with some included time, from various places on the internet. http://www.telestial.com/ This is one company from whom I've bought a SIM card, but not a phone - I have no stock in the company, just a good experience with the card. It looks like you can get a phone and a cheap card that will work in multiple countries around the world. I'm sure there are similar companies you could research.

calliopecruiser

wow, thanks for this info--very helpful. they have a cheap phone that might just do the trick.

I love CC--thanks again

ML

We researched this a few years ago for a trip to Rome. We ended up using an ancient, unlocked first generation Rzor quadband phone that we had in a drawer. We purchased an Italian sim card before the trip and had to send in a copy of my passport to register.

When we got to Rome the registration didn't go thru, so the first day was spent looking for the phone store and getting the sim registered. (Very easy to do just need you passport or a copy of the info page.)

A consideration- We found that many companies that service these rental phones from the US for use in Europe use UK phone numbers. These would have been very costly to use.

There are many companies to choose from

google 'renting cell phones for Europe'

Look on Tripadvisor for more info.

If contacting tour operators, find out if the number is a cell phone that accepts text messages. Much cheaper than calling.

Last trip we used an old iPhone 3gs. We only used it to call/text our DD in Rome. On ocassion we used it for bus schedules and museum info.

Just asked DD- She used her unlocked American iPhone 3gs with an Italian Vodafone sim in Kosovo & Macedonia. She said it was very expensive to call and used up her minutes. She has a pay as you go plan. Depending on your plan you can be charged for outgoing and incoming calls.

A problem we had in Italy was loading our phone. You can either load it through your phone and charge it to your CC on record or you can buy cards. Everything is done in Italian.;) DH nor I speak nor understand Italian.

So, I have 2 questions:

..When have you needed a cell phone when cruising around Europe? Just to call home or for other things, or just in case you have an emergency? I would like to understand the experiences people have had, which could help us decide what to do...

Thanks for any thoughts/insights

ML

Honestly, we have cell phones and have them activated for use in Europe, but we have never needed to use them. Tour guides were all where we expected and we did not have any emergencies. But, we still keep them activated for international calling even though they have not been turned on or used in the last 4 or 5 cruises. Most of our communication was done via email and an iPad.

So first you and DH have to decide what you are comfortable with, and then seek out a solution to that situation. Here is a very handy link that discusses the various options of phones overseas, including renting vs. buying.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/cell-phone-europe.htm

Gut level, my thoughts are that since you both don't use cell phones now, this is not the time to start. In a true emergency, there will be someone standing next to you that will lend you a phone or call for you. And your habits are such that you won't have the need to use the mapping functions or other uses. But that is just my opinion, so do what you think is best.

p.s. Did you get your chili roasted yet?? ;)

calliopecruiser

wow, thanks for this info--very helpful. they have a cheap phone that might just do the trick.

I love CC--thanks again

ML

Practice with the phone beforehand.

We did respond to a similar post on the Europe boards, but will put it here again for anyone interested. You can simply buy an inexpensive phone from MOBAL and then its simply pay as you go. Not the cheapest per minute, but their phones work in at least 190 countries (including all of Europe) and there are no monthly fees or roaming fees. They are perfect for occasional calls or emergencies.

Hank

We researched this a few years ago for a trip to Rome. We ended up using an ancient, unlocked first generation Rzor quadband phone that we had in a drawer. We purchased an Italian sim card before the trip and had to send in a copy of my passport to register.

When we got to Rome the registration didn't go thru, so the first day was spent looking for the phone store and getting the sim registered. (Very easy to do just need you passport or a copy of the info page.)

A consideration- We found that many companies that service these rental phones from the US for use in Europe use UK phone numbers. These would have been very costly to use.

There are many companies to choose from

google 'renting cell phones for Europe'

Look on Tripadvisor for more info.

If contacting tour operators, find out if the number is a cell phone that accepts text messages. Much cheaper than calling.

Last trip we used an old iPhone 3gs. We only used it to call/text our DD in Rome. On ocassion we used it for bus schedules and museum info.

Just asked DD- She used her unlocked American iPhone 3gs with an Italian Vodafone sim in Kosovo & Macedonia. She said it was very expensive to call and used up her minutes. She has a pay as you go plan. Depending on your plan you can be charged for outgoing and incoming calls.

A problem we had in Italy was loading our phone. You can either load it through your phone and charge it to your CC on record or you can buy cards. Everything is done in Italian.;) DH nor I speak nor understand Italian.

Hi Sadie

I will definitely follow your advice and google renting a phone. I do know it will cost less to text and i think that will be a good option for around Europe or even contacting home if needed.

thanks

ML

Honestly, we have cell phones and have them activated for use in Europe, but we have never needed to use them. Tour guides were all where we expected and we did not have any emergencies. But, we still keep them activated for international calling even though they have not been turned on or used in the last 4 or 5 cruises. Most of our communication was done via email and an iPad.

So first you and DH have to decide what you are comfortable with, and then seek out a solution to that situation. Here is a very handy link that discusses the various options of phones overseas, including renting vs. buying.

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/cell-phone-europe.htm

Gut level, my thoughts are that since you both don't use cell phones now, this is not the time to start. In a true emergency, there will be someone standing next to you that will lend you a phone or call for you. And your habits are such that you won't have the need to use the mapping functions or other uses. But that is just my opinion, so do what you think is best.

p.s. Did you get your chili roasted yet?? ;)

Hi cherylandtk

yes, that is a good list of questions to consider. I did have a Blackberry when i worked but now that I am retired, I don't feel the need to be in constant touch, or pay the money, to have a super cell phone. i never thought of checking Rick Steves site for this kind of info, so thanks for that!!

Chili is just about to start appearing in roadside stands--usually available in late August. We are having a huge drought, so I bet the chili will be HOT HOT HOT :D

thanks

ML

We did respond to a similar post on the Europe boards, but will put it here again for anyone interested. You can simply buy an inexpensive phone from MOBAL and then its simply pay as you go. Not the cheapest per minute, but their phones work in at least 190 countries (including all of Europe) and there are no monthly fees or roaming fees. They are perfect for occasional calls or emergencies.

Hank

Hi Hank

I wondered if you would find me here!!:) thanks for posting here. I think I have some good sources to compare and see what we can do.

thanks for your help

ML

Chili is just about to start appearing in roadside stands--usually available in late August. We are having a huge drought, so I bet the chili will be HOT HOT HOT :D

ML

ML, I am just up the road from you in Corrales; Wagner's does not have their chili out yet, but there was a great deal at Albertson's this week, a 40 lb bag for $15. Roasters are in full flame at Sprouts, too. And yes, it is hot this year, but mine is already in the freezer.

The first time we cruised/toured in Europe we had our cell phone set up to work in Europe; unfortunately, it still didn't work when we got there (we're not very techie).

Honestly, since then we haven't ever needed a phone. As others have said, if you have a guide they will have a cell phone. Once we missed the beginning of a tour in Villefranche because tendering was delayed over an hour because of a medical evacuation. We were able to call the guide via a tourist help center on the dock and he kindly came back to get us from Monaco (it's not very far).

We keep in touch with home, mostly because of elderly parents, by daily computer messages. Internet cafes are good too.

Also, we've found people to be very helpful and I think if there was a true emergency someone would make a call if needed

We have a Mobal - $29 buys the phone and charger and gives you a permanent phone number (with a UK country code). No ongoing charges except the usage - about $1.00 per minute, which sounds steep, but if you are careful, it is probably the best way to have an available phone every time you travel overseas - getting a special sim card installed in your domestic cell phone is a hassle, and renting is fairly costly.

We probably average $10 or $15 each overseas trip, with no other costs since buying the phone, for probably about five brief calls. Get details at Mobal.com.

So, I have 2 questions:

When have you needed a cell phone when cruising around Europe? Just to call home or for other things, or just in case you have an emergency? I would like to understand the experiences people have had, which could help us decide what to do.

Next time hubby and I go to Europe we will have phones that work there.

Ours (Tracfone) don't work over there so we didn't take them. We thought we'd get some phones while over there but decided we'd probably not need them so didn't get any.

While on a ship-booked excursion to Rome and the Vatican I became separated from my tour group. The guide had given us a name and number to call if we got separated, but I later learned from another guide also leading an excursion group from my ship, that that information wasn't enough to get me back with the guide and my group. Fortunately, he went to the trouble to fill in the rest of the information and get a hold of my guide and get me back to my guide, my husband and the rest of the tour group. Before finding this awesome tour guide who absolutely saved my day, I had done what my guide had suggested earlier in the day - on the off chance you get separated, ask one of the vast number of people who have cell phones if you could use theirs or have them call for you. I asked three (3) separate men working at the Vatican - 2 at exit doors at St. Peter's Basilica and 1 man working inside the bag storage room. One man at a door didn't have a cell phone in his hand, the attendant at the second door not only had a cell phone in his hand but also an ipad/tablet, and the bag storage room attendant had a land line phone he answered after acting like he didn't know what I needed or didn't want to help.

Lesson learned. If I'd had a phone with me that worked in Europe I'd have been able to simply call my husband and found out how to get back with the group. I'm subscribing to your thread to remember the companies and choices available for cell phones and coverage. Thanks for asking about this subject. :)

Honestly, if you have a phone and a company that offers international roaming, look into that first. The chances of having to use it and pay the high per-minute fee should be weighed with the price you'll pay for a burner phone or SIM card which is Europe-based. I've got my trusty RAZR (hey, don't laugh, it's still my everyday cell phone, too:eek:) and T-Mo has unlocked it for me years ago, so I can pop in a SIM if I know I'll be doing a lot of calling. I've also gone with the T-Mo roaming (I always have it turned on, since it doesn't cost unless I use it) and just bit the bullet for the calls.

What I did my last trip was buy a SIM from TIM (Telefonia Italia Mobile or some such) for my new iPad mini and 3gb of data. I did most of my work from it - maps, GPS while driving Rome-Florence, translations, bus/Metro guides, and everyday communications via email and Facebook. I loved it. If I had the need to really use a phone, I'd use my RAZR. Just be sure you know how to call an Italian/Croation/Bulgarian, etc. phone number from it...

We have a Mobal - $29 buys the phone and charger and gives you a permanent phone number (with a UK country code). No ongoing charges except the usage - about $1.00 per minute, which sounds steep, but if you are careful, it is probably the best way to have an available phone every time you travel overseas - getting a special sim card installed in your domestic cell phone is a hassle, and renting is fairly costly.

We probably average $10 or $15 each overseas trip, with no other costs since buying the phone, for probably about five brief calls. Get details at Mobal.com.

This has been my experience also. I have had the same $29 Mobal phone for about 4/5 years and it still works perfectly. Got it when I was visiting the UK fairly frequently and then have used it on a trip from the UK to Hungary, and recently on a Baltic cruise. Not sure where you are seeing lots of bad reviews as it's a highly recommended company.

ML, I am just up the road from you in Corrales; Wagner's does not have their chili out yet, but there was a great deal at Albertson's this week, a 40 lb bag for $15. Roasters are in full flame at Sprouts, too. And yes, it is hot this year, but mine is already in the freezer.

wow--Albertson's, really? I never go in them (I think they are a bit overpriced) but I will check the one very near us (we live just south of Paseo, about a mile from the Trader Joes!!). Nice that you already have yours ready to go. I am harvesting white eggplant and tomatoes from the garden--running out of things to make with them :) but its a good problem.

ML

This has been my experience also. I have had the same $29 Mobal phone for about 4/5 years and it still works perfectly. Got it when I was visiting the UK fairly frequently and then have used it on a trip from the UK to Hungary, and recently on a Baltic cruise. Not sure where you are seeing lots of bad reviews as it's a highly recommended company.

I just googled "Mobal phone reviews" and found sveral sites with info. A mixed bag but they varied from 'very happy' to 'never use them', which is normal I think. I usually just look at how many are posted thst are pro or con, and try to interpret whether people were just unsure of what they were buying or what else might be going on. I do think the telestial one noted above could work for us. And for a $19 investment (for phone, SIM card and some credit to start) it isn't much of a risk. I am still comparing different services but I am thinking it would be best to just buy a cheap phone and buy/recharge SIM cards as needed. I'm not sure how much more international travel we will do. We have been all over Europe and to China, and thru the Panama Canal; I think Australia/NZ are the only other places we want to see right now.

All great comments and observations here. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and info. Keep 'em coming :)

ML

wow--Albertson's, really? I never go in them (I think they are a bit overpriced) but I will check the one very near us (we live just south of Paseo, about a mile from the Trader Joes!!). Nice that you already have yours ready to go. I am harvesting white eggplant and tomatoes from the garden--running out of things to make with them :) but its a good problem.

ML

Just add in some green chile and you are good to go. The smell of roasting chile is in the air in Las Cruces also -- folks were lined up at our Albertsons also! :)

I just googled "Mobal phone reviews" and found sveral sites with info. A mixed bag but they varied from 'very happy' to 'never use them', which is normal I think. I usually just look at how many are posted thst are pro or con, and try to interpret whether people were just unsure of what they were buying or what else might be going on. I do think the telestial one noted above could work for us. And for a $19 investment (for phone, SIM card and some credit to start) it isn't much of a risk. I am still comparing different services but I am thinking it would be best to just buy a cheap phone and buy/recharge SIM cards as needed. I'm not sure how much more international travel we will do. We have been all over Europe and to China, and thru the Panama Canal; I think Australia/NZ are the only other places we want to see right now.

All great comments and observations here. I appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and info. Keep 'em coming :)

ML

As someone who travels a great deal all over the world for business, you REALLY don't want to be messing with SIM cards all over. They are a MAJOR hassle-particularly in places you may be unfamiliar with. OR have to buy country specific cards and then you have a stack of SIMS with no idea which SIM is for what country or how many minutes are left on the SIM. I have a stack of them that I hand to employees going overseas. MAYBE they work, MAYBE they don't. But they can hassle those SIM cards, not me. PLUS it is a pain for someone to call YOU from the USA if you have to change SIM cards. You change your phone number.

Buy the Mobal phone. NO monthly charges, NO refilling SIM cards. WORKS in almost every place I have been in the world (and I have been a LOT of strange places tourists don't generally go). EXCELLENT call quality. A "good morning Vietnam" phone call to the USA from the middle of the Mekong on a junk sloop (DEFINITELY NOT a cruise ship) came through clearer than my Verizon phone does a lot of times to my close friend that lives 30 miles away.

The Mobal phone is a charge it and forget it phone. Put it in your suitcase when you get home. Next trip, charge it before you leave home and you have a phone THAT WORKS when you get off the plane or cruise ship almost any place in the world. The phone comes with a nifty adapter that works on almost anything electric most places in the world. Saves dragging another adapter with you.

I have two and have had the first one since they started the service about 9 years ago. I also have a Sat phone for emergencies. I firmly believe in my Mobal phone. In fact, this is really ironic-Mobal just sent email Friday that the credit card tied to the first phone needs to be updated. THAT is easy and very good service.

Just add in some green chile and you are good to go. The smell of roasting chile is in the air in Las Cruces also -- folks were lined up at our Albertsons also! :)

LOL--yeah, green chile helps everything :) Down there, you must get the freshest chile, the fastest--so close to Hatch. Fun to drive thru Hatch and see the chiles growing. I think I smell them roasting now :D

ML

I just looked for a phone that works all over when I had to replace mine. when I travel I just add international roaming with texting. I just turn on the phone in port to check for messages. Whatever you do DISABLE DATA or else you risk a large bill as your phone updates.

As someone who travels a great deal all over the world for business, you REALLY don't want to be messing with SIM cards all over. They are a MAJOR hassle-particularly in places you may be unfamiliar with. OR have to buy country specific cards and then you have a stack of SIMS with no idea which SIM is for what country or how many minutes are left on the SIM. I have a stack of them that I hand to employees going overseas. MAYBE they work, MAYBE they don't. But they can hassle those SIM cards, not me. PLUS it is a pain for someone to call YOU from the USA if you have to change SIM cards. You change your phone number.

Buy the Mobal phone. NO monthly charges, NO refilling SIM cards. WORKS in almost every place I have been in the world (and I have been a LOT of strange places tourists don't generally go). EXCELLENT call quality. A "good morning Vietnam" phone call to the USA from the middle of the Mekong on a junk sloop (DEFINITELY NOT a cruise ship) came through clearer than my Verizon phone does a lot of times to my close friend that lives 30 miles away.

The Mobal phone is a charge it and forget it phone. Put it in your suitcase when you get home. Next trip, charge it before you leave home and you have a phone THAT WORKS when you get off the plane or cruise ship almost any place in the world. The phone comes with a nifty adapter that works on almost anything electric most places in the world. Saves dragging another adapter with you.

I have two and have had the first one since they started the service about 9 years ago. I also have a Sat phone for emergencies. I firmly believe in my Mobal phone. In fact, this is really ironic-Mobal just sent email Friday that the credit card tied to the first phone needs to be updated. THAT is easy and very good service.

yes, it does sound very convenient, and i like the idea of just putting it away when we are home. I guess it's good to have options but it requires me to decide :eek:

Thx

ML

Archived