Add A Jewish Style Deli on Royal

Why not just have a section of the Buffet dedicated to Jewish "Style" deli foods. They have Indian, I don't see many rushing over to that. Why not Jewish. Forgive me I'm a Catholic and mean no offense,, but does it have to be Kosher if in the Buffet line. Kosher items could still be available on the menu and ordered ahead of time as usual.

Let's take a tour.

Kossar's Bialys on Grand street off Essex St has changed hands, but they're still pretty good.

Yonah Shimmel Knishes on Houston St may be gone, haven't been by there in a while.

I liked going to Katz for the Knobelwurst on rye with mustard and sauerkraut. The French fries in the brown paper bag are pretty good.

Then the next day, I can go out to Brooklyn and hit L&B Spumoni Gardens.

Then back to NY and hit Chinatown. Unfortunately, not much left of little Italy.

A trip to 6th ave and 53rd st for the Halal cart on the southwest corner would cap it

All that said, a Jewish style deli on a cruise ship wouldn't work and would have as many threads as the formal wear revolutionaries.

Why not Jewish. Forgive me I'm a Catholic and mean no offense,, but does it have to be Kosher if in the Buffet line. Kosher items could still be available on the menu and ordered ahead of time as usual.

I'm Jewish, so I can explain. And no offense taken.

Other than foods that are kosher by default (fresh produce, off-the-shelf soda, and that's pretty much it), the entire buffet would need to be kosher in order for individual items to be kosher. Kosher laws are very strict about excluding pork and shellfish, and separating meat and dairy, which means cross-contamination could become a problem, especially with the way many passengers get careless at buffets. Any prepared item, even freshly baked bread, must be cooked with utensils that never came in contact with anything non-kosher. Packaged goods must have a rabbinical symbol confirming their purity. Laws for preparing meat are further more complex.

It's one of the reasons why sushi caught on so well in the Jewish community; there's no risk of cross-contamination when preparing fish, vegetables, and rice, and seaweed is kosher by default. Perhaps the Jewish-style deli can serve sushi too.

Why not just have a section of the Buffet dedicated to Jewish "Style" deli foods. They have Indian, I don't see many rushing over to that. Why not Jewish. Forgive me I'm a Catholic and mean no offense,, but does it have to be Kosher if in the Buffet line. Kosher items could still be available on the menu and ordered ahead of time as usual.

Kosher and Jewish Style are two distinct and separate things. I brought this up earlier and was dismissed on the point. Jewish "style" does not mean Kosher. There is no need for a Rabbi or special prep when doing Jewish style (which is more akin to this Deli style menu).

No offense taken, your reading of the situation is spot on. Those that maintain Kosher certainly would continue to order ahead and have special meals. Kosher really just means prepared to a higher standard. No mixing of preparation between meats and cheeses. Higher levels of cleanliness than govt regulations. And no pork or shellfish.

Kosher and Jewish Style are two distinct and separate things. I brought this up earlier and was dismissed on the point. Jewish "style" does not mean Kosher. There is no need for a Rabbi or special prep when doing Jewish style (which is more akin to this Deli style menu).

No offense taken, your reading of the situation is spot on. Those that maintain Kosher certainly would continue to order ahead and have special meals. Kosher really just means prepared to a higher standard. No mixing of preparation between meats and cheeses. Higher levels of cleanliness than govt regulations. And no pork or shellfish.

Exactly! Good explanation. I don't think Kosher is necessary on the ships other then the order ahead menu, but very good Jewish deli food would be great.

The deli meat they have on the buffets all fall short. Including what Carnival has. I thought it was horrible. Sorry!

Where I come from, what everyone is describing is called kosher-style. Meaning that it's the same recipes, but with non-kosher ingredients.

I edited this b/c I think I'm probably reading too much into it. I guess I just would want anything done in a tasteful, and respectful way.

But either way, deli is yum, and glad to see the enthusiasm for it!

I hope that you are not refering to me when you said "I was dismissed on the point" because I did not say anything about the subject

However with all due respect you are completely wrong about Kosher laws.

Kosher is not prepared to a higher standard no natter what the Hebrew National commercials wanted you to think. It is prepared to the Torah standard. Is that a higher authority than USDA? Maybe yes maybe no but the two are not comparable.

If a piece of meat is ritually slaughtered and prepared accordingly but is filthy and dirty, it is 100% Kosher, as is all Kosher products that might be dirty. Kosher has nothing to do with cleanliness.

Additionally the same piece of chicken or beef can be Kosher or non Kosher. It depends how it was killed, how blood was drawn from it, how and with what it was cooked, and with what was it served etc etc

Kosher is more than just no pork and shellfish, and no meat and dairy together. Its' explanation is also way outside the provence of the thread.

If there ever is a Deli section, and why not, it should be "NYdeli style", just keep the Kosher and Jewish out of it

The thing with fresh pastrami is that it needs to be kept warm in the brine. They stab it and throw it on to the carving board. Then after they carve some, it goes back in the brine until they are ready to carve some more. It's not like a roast beef that would be left out under a heat lamp.

Why couldn't that be done at Park Cafe?

Saw a few comments on Carnival's deli. That meat is round, not brisket.

People like deli sandwiches but those fast moving sub shops have taken over.

There is no quality in the meats.

I love brisket sandwiches with a large pickle and potato salad you get in a deli.

At the Carnegie Deli in Las Vegas at the Mirage..The Woody Allen sandwich. People really order this. They usually split the sandwich and then even too much. IMHO too much meat. Give me a regular sized deli sandwich for lunch on a cruise and I would be happy.

th-1_zpsdc4394d4.jpeg

DH and I would love a good tasting deli.

Laura

I love brisket sandwiches with a large pickle and potato salad you get in a deli.

At the Carnegie Deli in Las Vegas at the Mirage..The Woody Allen sandwich. People really order this. They usually split the sandwich and then even too much. IMHO too much meat. Give me a regular sized deli sandwich for lunch on a cruise and I would be happy.

th-1_zpsdc4394d4.jpeg

Laura

DH and I shared a corned beef sandwich at Carnegie Deli at the Mirage in Vegas, and there was still enough for two more people! Biggest sandwich we ever saw!

The thing with fresh pastrami is that it needs to be kept warm in the brine. They stab it and throw it on to the carving board. Then after they carve some, it goes back in the brine until they are ready to carve some more. It's not like a roast beef that would be left out under a heat lamp.

Fresh pastrami needs to be kept warm in a steambox.

The odds of a Jewish Deli on Royal Caribbean being any good are low. It is difficult enough to even find decent ones in the northeast outside of New York City.

And that is the absolutely truth!!!,,We have been living in Fla. for 20yrs.(transplanted NY'ers) and have yet gotten anything close to NY..they try,,but you can't beat the deli's we grew up with:rolleyes:

th-1_zpsdc4394d4.jpeg

Laura

Oh God what I would"t give for one of those along with a potato Kinish, a couple cream sodas. :)

And that is the absolutely truth!!!,,We have been living in Fla. for 20yrs.(transplanted NY'ers) and have yet gotten anything close to NY..they try,,but you can't beat the deli's we grew up with:rolleyes:

When I was a kid, I remember a deli in Miami Beach called Pinky's. They had the greatest half sour pickles in dishes on the tables.

A good deli must have the proper pickels.

th-1_zpsdc4394d4.jpeg

Laura

No swimming allowed after that sandwich :)

No swimming allowed after that sandwich :)

*LOL*

Robert Klein used to do a routine about his mother being the official timer at the public swimming pool . She knew exactly how long you had to wait to go in the water depending on what you ate . A hog dog? ....30 minutes, A pastrami sandwich ?.......45 minutes , Franks and Beans ?.....I'm sorry you cannot go in the pool the rest of the summer... *LOL*

I don't think this would be as popular as you might think. While it appeals to those who are used to the food, it doesn't have the international recognition that RCI have to think about when introducing new concepts.

They could start it on a small scale, such as a deli station at the buffet. If it catches on, RCL could devote more space to it.

Personally, I think that it could work-----especially if they serve knishes, kugels, latkes, and half sours, in addition to the traditional meats.

For breakfast they could offer Bagels and lox, amongst other things.

Hopefully, RCL reads these boards.

They could start it on a small scale, such as a deli station at the buffet. If it catches on, RCL could devote more space to it.

Personally, I think that it could work-----especially if they serve knishes, kugels, latkes, and half sours, in addition to the traditional meats.

For breakfast they could offer Bagels and lox, amongst other things.

Hopefully, RCL reads these boards.

They already do! I've been eating lox and bagels on RCI for years!:D

*LOL*

Robert Klein used to do a routine about his mother being the official timer at the public swimming pool . She knew exactly how long you had to wait to go in the water depending on what you ate . A hog dog? ....30 minutes, A pastrami sandwich ?.......45 minutes , Franks and Beans ?.....I'm sorry you cannot go in the pool the rest of the summer... *LOL*

My Mom would make me wait for 40 minutes, no matter how little I ate. And we lived across from the ocean-----.

I grew up in Woodhaven and still remember the knish's from there. That place is amazing. I wish there was one in Florida.

Also lived in Woodhaven also Kew Gardens , ( also non-jewish) but love a good jewish deli , there was one in Kew gardens on Queens Blvd do not remember the name

Also lived in Woodhaven also Kew Gardens , ( also non-jewish) but love a good jewish deli , there was one in Kew gardens on Queens Blvd do not remember the name

It was called the Pastrami King. I was across the street from the court houses on Queens Blvd. I use to make regular runs there on football sunday.

They moved into Manhattan many years ago. Rumor has it they moved into Manhattan because the rent on Queens Blvd was too high. I find that hard to believe because Manhattan was always commanding top dollar for storefront property.

They are now on Lexington Avenue and 78th street. They reopened it under the name "Pastrami Queen".

Archived