"A selection of wines by the glass...."?

Tarpeian Rock

So how to explain post #25 where Oceania President Kamlami states that every wine offered by the glass is included in the Prestige Package? It would be interesting to have Fellows' reaction to that.

Maybe some do not consider Champagne a wine :confused::confused::confused:

Very confusing

They should just have a list of all the wines, alcohol that is included in the packages

Lyn

My travel agent just emailed me to say that he had been in touch with Oceania's UK office in Southampton' date=' and as far as they are concerned the Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut IS included, as are the other "wines by the glass", they have, however, asked for clarification from Miami.[/quote']

Great. This should be interesting!

Jim and Stan..oddly enough we ended up purchasing Waterbrook, Columbia Valley Chardonnay as well as Bouchard Pouilly Fuisse, by the BOTTLE as part of our assortment in the wine sale. These wines are NOT offered "by the glass". They must have been on list "by the glass" on other sailings. We also purchased Perrier Jouet by the bottle in sale for $64. The "by the glass" wines offered on our sailing are the EXACT ones on Oceania website as of today, except Oceania told us on the ship that Perrier Jouet is not included in the packages. Now that has been backed up by guest relations.

As I mentioned on a prior thread, we purchased some of the white wines by the bottle at home before the trip and were amazed how bad they were...and we are not wine snobs. The Waterbrook and Bouchard would have been fine with us and with Perrier Jouet included, the wine package would have been great!

I would suggest anyone considering one of the packages who drinks a lot of wine/champagne try the listed "by the glass" wines to make sure you will be happy for a long cruise!

Barcrab-

Yes, as I have mentioned previously, the "by the glass" wines change somewhat frequently, which is probably the reason why a list of them isn't being printed in any of the advance literature.

As to the Perrier Jouët, what can I say? The people who wrote the Beverage Package policies have confirmed to me in writing that it IS included in both Beverage Packages, and the President of Oceania has confirmed the same IN THIS THREAD.

It is very disappointing that Guest Relations misinformed you, but since you mentioned Ms. Fellows by name, I am sure that you will hear from her again.

Barcrab-

Yes, as I have mentioned previously, the "by the glass" wines change somewhat frequently, which is probably the reason why a list of them isn't being printed in any of the advance literature.

As to the Perrier Jouët, what can I say? The people who wrote the Beverage Package policies have confirmed to me in writing that it IS included in both Beverage Packages, and the President of Oceania has confirmed the same IN THIS THREAD.

It is very disappointing that Guest Relations misinformed you, but since you mentioned Ms. Fellows by name, I am sure that you will hear from her again.

Off Regatta Aug 22nd. Perrier Jouët was not on the list of wines by the glass and so not part of any drinks package.

As per a sommelier it has not been on the list, and not part of the Prestige Beverage Package, for at least the two months since he has been on-board that ship.

We read many posts on CC regarding the inclusion of Perrier Jouët. We decided to purchases the package in advance of the cruise and was looking forward to celebrating being on board on sail-away with a glass of Perrier Jouët. It was not available.

If it was supposed available as per "the people who wrote the Beverage Package policies" then Regatta did not get the memo. It was a disappointment but after a couple of 'Caesers' (YES! they had Clamato on-board! (though US made and sweeter) I managed to survive. :)

We're planning our first Oceania cruise in April. After reading the postings on this topic, we spoke to our travel agent. She confirmed with Oceania just this week that Perrier Jouet IS included, but advised that the wine list is always subject to change. It concerns me that the policy is not clearly communicated. We have already purchased the Prestige package (anticipating the upcoming price increase) and I will be unhappy if we find that the cruise staff is not going to pour P-J as part of our package. That was certainly one of the reasons we opted for the package. I hope Oceania will clear up this confusion for upcoming cruises.

Barcrab-

He certainly implied it, but technically he didn`t (both the P-J and both beverage packages):

Every wine offered by the glass, whether it is on a wine list or the bar menu, is included in the Prestige Select Beverage Package.

Best-

KSK

I do hope that this isn`t a case of sneaky wording.:(

He certainly implied it, but technically he didn`t (both the P-J and both beverage packages):

I do hope that this isn`t a case of sneaky wording.:(

No sneaky wording intended, as we shoot straight. The champagne Perrier-Jouet is not included in the beverage package. Forgive me for not making the distinction earlier between "wine" and champagne which is a "sparkling wine".

Best

KSK

Champagne is a sparkling wine made in the Champagne area of France

Sparkling wines made elsewhere are not Champagne

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/105137/champagne

yes !

i had to say "every sparkling wine " ...

i simply hate it that on parties - on cruise ships or elsewhere -

some sparkling wine - decent or not - is announced as Champagne

despite there are very decent sparkling wine but also average Champagnes.

No sneaky wording intended, as we shoot straight. The champagne Perrier-Jouet is not included in the beverage package. Forgive me for not making the distinction earlier between "wine" and champagne which is a "sparkling wine".

Best

KSK

Disappointing, but at least this has been clarified. The $1,000+ charge for the Prestige Beverage Package for our March cruise just having hit our credit card, very disappointing, especially in view of some posters' differing experiences with P-J availability under the package.

So the price goes up and yet the product is diluted....it may seem trivial but this is a deal breaker for me!

I've just made final payment for my November cruise, so can't cancel in protest and switch to Silversea or Seabourn, but I can guarantee my on board bar tab will be 5-10% of what is was....we'll be dining in pretty much every night, and bringing our own!

Not happy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Best

KSK

Begs the question are "Late Harvest and Fortified Noble Wines" items of distinction as well.

Exceptionally disappointed.

A "selection" clearly means "Out of the 55 gallon drum in the back" Price goes up, and selection goes down.

How about the Champagne Cocktail on the bar menu? Brandy? Sherry? Port? Ice wine?

The new brochure "Prestige Select: Premium Spirits, Wine & Beer." Shall we soon find "Premium" defined as bottom shelf and "Hendricks, Bombay, Bookers, Grey Goose, etc. etc." defined as "Oceania Choice and there by eliminated"? Or like so many of the mass market lines, no martinis, and really no cocktails to speak of included? (But you're good to go if you want Rum and Coke, or Seven &7)

Just EXACTLY what is it that we are purchasing? (And yes I understand that a well kept cellar (and Bar) will change over time based on opportunity, fashion, and availability; however generally there is an effort or tendency to increase over all quality/selection)

And why on earth is it a surprise to your marketing department that the consumption of PJ went up, and now you are forced to pretend like it has all be a misunderstanding?

Best

KSK

Maybe a notation could be added to the package description

no champagnes or cognacs included

Lyn

Exceptionally disappointed.

A "selection" clearly means "Out of the 55 gallon drum in the back" Price goes up, and selection goes down.

How about the Champagne Cocktail on the bar menu? Brandy? Sherry? Port? Ice wine?

The new brochure "Prestige Select: Premium Spirits, Wine & Beer." Shall we soon find "Premium" defined as bottom shelf and "Hendricks, Bombay, Bookers, Grey Goose, etc. etc." defined as "Oceania Choice and there by eliminated"? Or like so many of the mass market lines, no martinis, and really no cocktails to speak of included? (But you're good to go if you want Rum and Coke, or Seven &7)

Just EXACTLY what is it that we are purchasing? (And yes I understand that a well kept cellar (and Bar) will change over time based on opportunity, fashion, and availability; however generally there is an effort or tendency to increase over all quality/selection)

And why on earth is it a surprise to your marketing department that the consumption of PJ went up, and now you are forced to pretend like it has all be a misunderstanding?

Echo this! We were looking forward to our first O experience, but now I'm wondering how often I'm to find myself in an awkward situation with a server who has to inform me that my choice of spirits wasn't what O had in mind when they sold me the package. I'm getting the feeling that, not being a beer drinker, what we've got with the Prestige Package are in effect a glass or two of house wine with lunch and dinner, since it's no longer clear whether a given brand of clear or brown spirit is available under the package for a mixed drink or something on the rocks. Seriously considering rescinding our purchase of the Prestige package and getting a refund.

Perhaps an updated list of what is included would be in order.

Yes, and having just reviewed the package description on O's website, vague words like "selection" and "most" would seem to be inadequate and unacceptable. When I order a drink I don't want to have to anticipate being embarrassed by the server. I expect to hear things like "not covered" from my insurance company, not my waiter.

and again....WHAT THE HECK? No P-J in the Prestige Package?? No Champagnes at all? What qualifies as "select"?? Does Grey Goose? Gran Marnier? Which brandies and liqueurs?

Is this a "buy it to find out what you bought" kind of thing?

I agree: Tell us what we are buying so we can make an informed decision.

Seems we can pay more but get less. And yes, we always have choices: purchase or don't purchase or move along to another line when the cost outweighs the benefit.

Surely won't buy any beverage package til on-board and we speak directly to the F&B manager or the CellarMaster.

Caveat Emptor.

Best

KSK

What a cynical move, increase the price and take off the champagne.. Not a very good idea to increase passenger loyalty...., especially when your Southampton office have advised me YESTERDAY that champagne is included.

You do shoot straight, right at your foot.

My upcoming Marina trip will be my last, well done Mr. K.... My world won't be including your way..

Seriously disappointed and very very unhappy...

Archived