"A selection of wines by the glass...."?

Tarpeian Rock

No sneaky wording intended, as we shoot straight. The champagne Perrier-Jouet is not included in the beverage package. Forgive me for not making the distinction earlier between "wine" and champagne which is a "sparkling wine".

Best

KSK

Sir - Forgiven; but in light of the above clarification of your definition of wine (excluding champagne) I have asked our TA to secure a refund for the Prestige Packages on cruises #1731628 and 1765483. Thanks in advance for your understanding, and support of my TA getting us a refund.

V/r

Waikele Ali'i

Yes, Cunard went the same way and its happening to Oceania... The brand is slipping, slowly, but its definitely losing its shine....

What does Frank have to say about this mess??? Is he happy to lose loyal passengers this way or just think we'll quietly forget and carry on?

What's next, a restriction to the bar set-up in the OVO suites?

I' m really not looking forward to my trip..., if I could cancel, I would.

I am so glad to FINALLY not have to argue that no P-J was served on our British Isles cruise and is not being served on current cruises.

Another problem is that the current white "wines by the glass" are not good. Whether one takes the package or not, the white wines are the same by the glass. We ended up buying bottles of wine/champagne either from the wine list or from the wine sale (gratuity is included in price so no corkage) and had them brought to the bar. They are very good about taking them back and forth to your locker.

Also, if one consumes cocktails before dinner, Oceania "has" you because the drinks are a very light pour and unless you are on the package, the price becomes silly for a double.

Our last cruises have been "all inclusive" and we were satisfied with the offerings. I feel Oceania is an excellent cruise line, but the whole area of wines/cocktails/packages needs work. It should not be this confusing for passengers to make a decision about the alcoholic beverages they are choosing to consume on vacation. If there is a "prestige package", enumerate the content including wines. After all Oceania, is setting the price and it is only fair to let passengers decide if the price is worth it to them.

I cannot believe people choose a cruise based on the drinks & packages :eek:

Maybe O should just go back to the "pay as you go" method much easier to understand.

They will never please everyone

Lyn

Maybe O should just go back to the "pay as you go" method much easier to understand.

Lyn

I don't think it's so much choosing a cruise based on the drinks package, as it is Oceania representing itself and its image/product in a certain way, and then inviting a level of disillusionment when "weasel words" like "selection" and "most" make its customers unclear as to just what they bought, what their choices really are, people not getting clarity about this until they are actually on the ship, and most importantly -- what that kind of marketing invites people to infer about what they thought was a superior O experience.

I don't think it's so much choosing a cruise based on the drinks package, as it is Oceania representing itself and its image/product in a certain way, and then inviting a level of disillusionment when "weasel words" like "selection" and "most" make its customers unclear as to just what they bought, what their choices really are, people not getting clarity about this until they are actually on the ship, and most importantly -- what that kind of marketing invites people to infer about what they thought was a superior O experience.

I understand about the clarity issue but to cancel or threaten to cancel because the details changed is something different

all the cruiselines with beverage packages use the same wording ..I know it does not make it right

It is very off-putting to people when the rules of the game change part way through though

Lyn

I agree that Oceania should publish a definitive list of spirits that are included in the Prestige Package. Especially pertinent are exactly what brands of moderately-top-shelf pours are included: Grey Goose perhaps, Bombay Sapphire perhaps, Glenlivet perhaps, etc. I know it would be difficult to do the same for wines since they most likely change frequently, but a list of commonly-available wines would be good, or examples, with a breakdown on type of grape, or country. If there is no real champagne available in any package, say so!, then I can avoid drinking swill.

I'm beginning to think it's lucky that I'm drinking as little as possible these days--I was looking forward to "kicking over the traces" on my upcoming TA, but perhaps I won't do that. I'm certainly not going to buy a package before I've tasted a couple of their "house" wines.

Lyn

The main issue for me is that "O" are moving the goalposts......2 price hikes, and a reduction in the quality & selection. If they are doing it with the drinks packages then where else is it happening? :confused:

Also, I find the lack of communication between "O" offices a worry....the normally efficient & helpful UK office in Southampton, told my travel agent that Perrier-Jouet was included just yesterday....and yes, I have seen the email. Where else is there a lack of consistency I wonder?

For the price I paid for my forthcoming Marina voyage I could have picked a mid range suite on Silversea or Seabourn, but I went with "O" because up until now I had been impressed with their consistency and, apart from the 2 for 1 style marketing, there had been little evidence of nickel and diming once on board.

I'm currently looking at options for 2014/5 right now & who knows I may revisit my old friends the 3 S's, or try someone new...Viking, Ponant...plenty of choice out there!

Lyn: I think the collective point here is folks want to know WHAT is being offered in the beverage packages....what O considers PRESTIGE vs everyday plonk/rot gut.

We're disappointed the quality has been reduced while the cost has increased. To me, it a Disclosure issue. O should say what they mean and mean what they say.

Reduction in loyalty benefits and a reduction in the Prestige beverage package doesn't feel comfortable.......especially when these have not been openly disclosed.

Lyn: I think the collective point here is folks want to know WHAT is being offered in the beverage packages....what O considers PRESTIGE vs everyday plonk/rot gut.

We're disappointed the quality has been reduced while the cost has increased. To me, it a Disclosure issue. O should say what they mean and mean what they say.

Reduction in loyalty benefits and a reduction in the Prestige beverage package doesn't feel comfortable.......especially when these have not been openly disclosed.

I do agree ..there needs to be clarification in Black & white no assumptions to be made by passengers

When they start serving the quality of McD's fare ..I am done

Lyn

make its customers unclear as to just what they bought, what their choices really are, people not getting clarity about this until they are actually on the ship

This is the part that is making me most nervous. I began to look at the purchasing the Prestige package in advance when I couldn't get a straight answer from Oceania on the VAT situation on our up coming Barcelona to Barcelona cruise. (Will it be added outside Spanish ports and to what: gratuities? excursions? etc.; they have no idea and told me to ask on the ship.) Just like the beverage packages - they have no idea.

I'm not a big drinker but 10% VAT on top of the 18% on top of the small pour had me considering getting the package and enjoying champagne for breakfast - it's a cruise after all - but this price increase and the gotchas have me thinking it looks more like bait and switch than anything. But you watch - enjoying your own in the cabin - these days are numbered.

I purchased the drink package based on previous posts that stated Perrier Jouet was included. It was also included on riviera when we sailed march of this year.

It would not be enough of a reason to cancel my cruise or to jump cruise lines. It will, however, make me consider a refund of the beverage package for my upcoming cruise.

Any news of an accurate list of what is actually included?

The main issue for me is that "O" are moving the goalposts......2 price hikes' date=' and a reduction in the quality & selection. If they are doing it with the drinks packages then where else is it happening? :confused:

Also, I find the lack of communication between "O" offices a worry....the normally efficient & helpful UK office in Southampton, told my travel agent that Perrier-Jouet was included just yesterday....and yes, I have seen the email. Where else is there a lack of consistency I wonder?

For the price I paid for my forthcoming Marina voyage I could have picked a mid range suite on Silversea or Seabourn, but I went with "O" because up until now I had been impressed with their consistency and, apart from the 2 for 1 style marketing, there had been little evidence of nickel and diming once on board.

I'm currently looking at options for 2014/5 right now & who knows I may revisit my old friends the 3 S's, or try someone new...Viking, Ponant...plenty of choice out there![/quote']

So of the lines that have All Inclusive pricing with the alcohol which ones include the Perrier Jouet?

It seems the NV Gran Brut runs about $50 a bottle in the stores, O's price(that they have to pay) is less but it wouldn't take long for people drinking this 3 or 4 times a day and the Prestige Package would not be a good deal, FOR OCEANIA.

The problem as I see it is that once something is given it's hard to have it taken away. Maybe should have been thought through from the beginning.

I purchased the drink package based on previous posts that stated Perrier Jouet was included. It was also included on riviera when we sailed march of this year.

It would not be enough of a reason to cancel my cruise or to jump cruise lines. It will, however, make me consider a refund of the beverage package for my upcoming cruise.

Any news of an accurate list of what is actually included?

We will update our website next week to provide a comprehensive list of what is included in the beverage package. Some information in the interim...the package has always included all of the wines offered by the glass on any menu in any of the onboard venues. It also includes top shelf spirits such as Bombay Sapphire, Ketel One and Grey Goose. Congacs, such as Remy Martin XO, are also included. There is also a selection of champagnes which has never included Perrier Jouet. We will provide the full list on our website next week at which point everyone will be equipped with the necessary information to make an informed decision on whether to purchase a beverage package, request a refund, OR to sail on another line that includes Perrier Jouet in their package. Cheers.

KSK

I respectfully disagree.... I ordered and enjoyed the Perrier Jouet as part of the beverage package on my riviera cruise in march. There was never a hesitation from any bar staff as to whether or not it was included in the package. It has been reported by some passengers that they also received confirmation via phone from O directly that it was included as reported in this thread.

This is not an issue that would prevent me from enjoying my cruise, but I am sure you understand how frustrating misinformation can be. I never said that I would change to another cruise line that included Perrier Jouet.

We will update our website next week to provide a comprehensive list of what is included in the beverage package. Some information in the interim...the package has always included all of the wines offered by the glass on any menu in any of the onboard venues. It also includes top shelf spirits such as Bombay Sapphire, Ketel One and Grey Goose. Congacs, such as Remy Martin XO, are also included. There is also a selection of champagnes which has never included Perrier Jouet. We will provide the full list on our website next week at which point everyone will be equipped with the necessary information to make an informed decision on whether to purchase a beverage package, request a refund, OR to sail on another line that includes Perrier Jouet in their package. Cheers.

KSK

I too respectfully disagree. Perrier Jouet WAS in the package when we were on the 48 day South America cruise in Jan/Feb. I soooo enjoyed a glass at lunch and also the occasional glass or 2 before dinner. It WAS Perrier Jouet.

There is also a selection of champagnes which has never included Perrier Jouet.

KSK

Thank you for the update

But on the website I see no Champagnes by the glass other than PJ

all others are by the bottle

Can you please specifiy what other Champagnes are by the glass:confused:

Now I could possibly drink a bottle of Champs in a day but it would not be a pretty site:eek:

Lyn

For KSK,

"There is also a selection of champagnes which has never included Perrier Jouet". This is a patently false statement. As others haves stated, I too have had Perrier Jouet on the drink package, most recently on a March Riviera Cruise. I believe a clarification is in order.

Our first cruise, on Oceania Nautica, was sponsored by a Northern California winery whose wines I dearly love. The winery provided a bottle of their wine to each cabin each night and added $200 to participant's ship's accounts to defray the corkage fees.

This left me to purchase only the odd mixed drink and/or an occasional Irish coffee for which I gladly paid the reasonable charge (think high end hotel) plus the 18% tip.

My wife, not being inclined to drink much of late and my failure to order the covered bottle of wine per night resulted in having 3 bottles of my absolute favorite Zinfandel delivered to our room. We gave two bottles away to shipboard acquaintances and chanced taking one home by air. I am considering taking that same bottle back with us for our first night in Polo onboard Riviera.

But the point after all this is that the winery owner commented, and I won't quote verbatim that the wine selection on Nautica was at best mid-range stuff at significantly higher cost than normal.

We are booking the next winery sponsored cruise to South American in March 2014 with great expectations. There will be two more free bottles than last trip. How ever will I cope...

JMBobB

Well, that's put us in our place.... Many thanks.... Read the posts before commenting.

Ps, "Cheers" in this context is somewhat inappropriate......

Archived