Sun Princess cancelled departure from Singapore today

MissCruising1

Hi All - there are some of us still looking to pick up the ship in Perth. Despite it being a bad experience I must say that in the end princess are now getting things sorted. We now have flights to Perth and a hotel in Singapore and Perth till the ship sails in September. You see at least 60 of us are on for 4 weeks. Everything all the other passengers have reported is a true and honest account of the events as we all experienced them. With the lack of hotels in Singapore I know this would have made princesses job hard if not almost impossible but it still could have been handled better.

The guy that had the heart attack was in hospital overnight and released the next day. The hospital gave him some drugs and 2 doctors declared him safe to fly. As far as I understand the couple are both quite old so they travel without medical insurance to save on cost. Angela from princess cruises was aware of the guys condition and I must say she helped the guy in the Pan pacific hotel and made sure he was ok. Further more it was her professional attitude and calmness under pressure that made the whole issue bearable. She said it was her first day working for princess and everyone we spoke to agreed with us the she was the best staff member out of everyone. She always keep bubbly despite the stress.

The guy that had the heart attack was in hospital overnight and released the next day. The hospital gave him some drugs and 2 doctors declared him safe to fly. As far as I understand the couple are both quite old so they travel without medical insurance to save on cost. Angela from princess cruises was aware of the guys condition and I must say she helped the guy in the Pan pacific hotel and made sure he was ok. Further more it was her professional attitude and calmness under pressure that made the whole issue bearable. She said it was her first day working for princess and everyone we spoke to agreed with us the she was the best staff member out of everyone. She always keep bubbly despite the stress.

Interesting and ironic that the most stellar employee would be a newbie.

Kudos to Angela.

Interesting and ironic that the most stellar employee would be a newbie.

Kudos to Angela.

Hi fellow "non" cruisers! I must say that on the whole, the poor crew members sent to front the 2000 very unhappy non passengers did the best they could to stay polite, calm and even tempered. I saw a very angry lady unleash a tirade of abuse at one young man who took it all on the chin, never once losing his temper or showing impatience.

From what I could make out, the Captain didn't make an appearance. I believe the fellow reading out the formal letter we all received was actually the Art Auctioneer!

Things seemed to deteriorate once the so called "experts" arrived, some 5 hours into our incarceration in the dungeons beneath Marina Bay Sands convention centre. Advice came sporadically, was difficult to hear and was then altered time and again.

People were herded from one side of the room to the other then told to sit or stand with their luggage until mini buses arrived. No one took our names but we were among a group who happened to be on a particular row of seats sent off to the lovely Shangri La Hotel.

We were also told to find something to eat anywhere in the Marina Bay Centre, keep the receipts and we would be reimbursed.

We could do the same at the hotel. I wonder whether this will be so?

Yes, it was the longest, most frustrating and tiring day we have ever experienced. 11 hours from the time we took a cab to the Marina Bay Terminal until finally entering our hotel room.

One lighter moment was when a true blue Aussie took the microphone and recited "The Man from Snowy River" ! Brilliant!!

On the whole, as always, people saw the funny side of the situation and there was much laughter among the crowd. Perhaps, semi hysterical at times but still, we laughed.

My husband and I are now having 10 days in a lovely resort in Phuket, having decided to refuse the Princess line's demand that we board a plane back to Perth, via Melbourne and Sydney - a journey of over 10 hours. My heart goes out to all those who came from UK and decided to head home immediately.

Happily, our Travel Agent in Perth was able to arrange this for us though my heart goes out to those stranded without enough money or time to at least make the most of a really terrible situation.

Good luck Princess you're going to be REALLY busy sorting this mess!

Hi fellow "non" cruisers! I must say that on the whole, the poor crew members sent to front the 2000 very unhappy non passengers did the best they could to stay polite, calm and even tempered. I saw a very angry lady unleash a tirade of abuse at one young man who took it all on the chin, never once losing his temper or showing impatience.

From what I could make out, the Captain didn't make an appearance. I believe the fellow reading out the formal letter we all received was actually the Art Auctioneer!

Things seemed to deteriorate once the so called "experts" arrived, some 5 hours into our incarceration in the dungeons beneath Marina Bay Sands convention centre. Advice came sporadically, was difficult to hear and was then altered time and again.

People were herded from one side of the room to the other then told to sit or stand with their luggage until mini buses arrived. No one took our names but we were among a group who happened to be on a particular row of seats sent off to the lovely Shangri La Hotel.

We were also told to find something to eat anywhere in the Marina Bay Centre, keep the receipts and we would be reimbursed.

We could do the same at the hotel. I wonder whether this will be so?

Yes, it was the longest, most frustrating and tiring day we have ever experienced. 11 hours from the time we took a cab to the Marina Bay Terminal until finally entering our hotel room.

One lighter moment was when a true blue Aussie took the microphone and recited "The Man from Snowy River" ! Brilliant!!

On the whole, as always, people saw the funny side of the situation and there was much laughter among the crowd. Perhaps, semi hysterical at times but still, we laughed.

My husband and I are now having 10 days in a lovely resort in Phuket, having decided to refuse the Princess line's demand that we board a plane back to Perth, via Melbourne and Sydney - a journey of over 10 hours. My heart goes out to all those who came from UK and decided to head home immediately.

Happily, our Travel Agent in Perth was able to arrange this for us though my heart goes out to those stranded without enough money or time to at least make the most of a really terrible situation.

Good luck Princess you're going to be REALLY busy sorting this mess!

Thanks for the information from the front lines. It sounds like you made the best of a horrendous situation.

Yes I whole heartily agree with Kentskie, Angela was the most pleasant and helpful of all the Princess representatives on the day. But with no disrespect intended to her, she was and maybe unknowingly very much part of the smoke & mirror act being played out that day by the Princess Cruises so called help team on the passengers. We first had contact with Angela just after arriving at the passenger warehouse were she took our details, name, cabin number, home city etc. The reason given by her was so she could pass this information up the line where they would arrange either accommodation or a flight home for us within about 2 hours.

After about 3 hours I approached Angela to enquire as to what was happening, she was surrounded by a group of passengers where she was still telling everyone the same as she had told us, I interrupted and enquired as to what if anything had been organised in regards to her earlier commitment of accommodation or a flight home. Much to my disgust it came out that all Angela was doing was taking down passengers details which weren't being passed on, she still was holding the sheets of paper with our and everyone easel's details taken during the afternoon. It was all part of a lets be seen to be doing something act.

I approached a gentleman who was pointed out to me as being in charge, I explained to him what Angela was doing and asked why were we being lied to. He said Angela was only taken the details from passengers who were going to make their own arrangements, not what we or the other passengers were being told by Angela, he said he’d talk to her about it, turned and walked off. At no time did I see him or any other member of the Princess team approach her. I watched as Angela continued on as before telling the same story and taking down passenger’s details.

As I said smoke & mirrors !!

Yes I whole heartily agree with Kentskie, Angela was the most pleasant and helpful of all the Princess representatives on the day. But with no disrespect intended to her, she was and maybe unknowingly very much part of the smoke & mirror act being played out that day by the Princess Cruises so called help team on the passengers. We first had contact with Angela just after arriving at the passenger warehouse were she took our details, name, cabin number, home city etc. The reason given by her was so she could pass this information up the line where they would arrange either accommodation or a flight home for us within about 2 hours.

After about 3 hours I approached Angela to enquire as to what was happening, she was surrounded by a group of passengers where she was still telling everyone the same as she had told us, I interrupted and enquired as to what if anything had been organised in regards to her earlier commitment of accommodation or a flight home. Much to my disgust it came out that all Angela was doing was taking down passengers details which weren't being passed on, she still was holding the sheets of paper with our and everyone easel's details taken during the afternoon. It was all part of a lets be seen to be doing something act.

I approached a gentleman who was pointed out to me as being in charge, I explained to him what Angela was doing and asked why were we being lied to. He said Angela was only taken the details from passengers who were going to make their own arrangements, not what we or the other passengers were being told by Angela, he said he’d talk to her about it, turned and walked off. At no time did I see him or any other member of the Princess team approach her. I watched as Angela continued on as before telling the same story and taking down passenger’s details.

As I said smoke & mirrors !!

I wonder why Princess did not have a copy of the passenger manifest handy to use to find accommodation and flights.

The checkin system should have had that information readily available and is independent to the ships system as it is portable and taken ashore for the checkin process.

I agree GHDPeter and I asked the same question at the time, the answer I got was yes there is passenger manifest and that was all he said. Typical of the behaviour at the time by the staff on hand, confused and un-organised. At the time I let it go thinking that as some of the passengers had been boarded it was more expedient to do a on the spot list.

I have since become aware that they did not kick all the passengers back off the ship loaded in the afternoon, only some. So I guess it was a little hard for them to know exactly where everyone was at any one time, just glad it wasn’t a sinking ship, no way they could of handle a crisis like that.

My real concern now is will Princess act responsibly and with honour and make good all the financial losses suffered by the passenger’s such as the cost of travelling to Singapore and accommodation while waiting for the cruise. Due to airline seating availability we had to be in Singapore for 3 days prior to the sailing date. No way we would of gone to Singapore, as nice as it is except for this cruise. Oh well fingers crossed, we can always start a class action against them if they try and dodge their responsibility, hands up those interested !!

I agree GHDPeter and I asked the same question at the time, the answer I got was yes there is passenger manifest and that was all he said. Typical of the behaviour at the time by the staff on hand, confused and un-organised. At the time I let it go thinking that as some of the passengers had been boarded it was more expedient to do a on the spot list.

I have since become aware that they did not kick all the passengers back off the ship loaded in the afternoon, only some. So I guess it was a little hard for them to know exactly where everyone was at any one time, just glad it wasn’t a sinking ship, no way they could of handle a crisis like that.

My real concern now is will Princess act responsibly and with honour and make good all the financial losses suffered by the passenger’s such as the cost of travelling to Singapore and accommodation while waiting for the cruise. Due to airline seating availability we had to be in Singapore for 3 days prior to the sailing date. No way we would of gone to Singapore, as nice as it is except for this cruise. Oh well fingers crossed, we can always start a class action against them if they try and dodge their responsibility, hands up those interested !!

So so sad and sorry about your ordeal!! I do hope you and your fellow Non-cruisers" get reimbursed for all your expenses. Please continue posting here and keep us up to date on the resolution. It is sad that Princess can't make 2000 pax whole faster than what they have promised.

Come on Princess, we are all watching how you handle this!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You bring up some very valid points. Keep us informed. Sending you good thoughts.

Been back home now for a few days, let off a little steam about the Princess cruise debacle, lodged our compensation claim with Princess Cruises Sydney office, read other passenger’s comments and have had time to think about the whole course of events. I would like to share with you all my thoughts if that’s ok.

1. Why would Princess Cruises had contacted so many passengers in the week or so prior to the ships sailing date and suggest that they change their booking on this cruise to another cruise. Was it because they knew well in advance that there was a problem with the ship and they may have to cancel the cruise. I did ask this question of a Princess representative in the Sydney office and was told that cruises are often over booked and it’s common to contact passengers and offer incentives to them to change... is this true, does anyone have knowledge of this kind of thing.

2. Why would Princess Cruises have dispatched their “ help team “ to Singapore from Sydney early morning on the day the ship was due to sail if they didn’t already know the cruise was going to be cancelled. And if they did know why didn’t they sms or phone passengers in advance rather then have us all turn up to the cruise terminal.

3. Given that within about one hour of the announcement being made at the cruise terminal that the cruise was to be cancelled a staging area suitable for 2000 plus passengers had been arranged, all the temporary seating for over 2000 passengers had been set up, food and refreshments foe over 2000 passengers waiting for our arrival.

Been back home now for a few days, let off a little steam about the Princess cruise debacle, lodged our compensation claim with Princess Cruises Sydney office, read other passenger’s comments and have had time to think about the whole course of events. I would like to share with you all my thoughts if that’s ok.

1. Why would Princess Cruises had contacted so many passengers in the week or so prior to the ships sailing date and suggest that they change their booking on this cruise to another cruise. Was it because they knew well in advance that there was a problem with the ship and they may have to cancel the cruise. I did ask this question of a Princess representative in the Sydney office and was told that cruises are often over booked and it’s common to contact passengers and offer incentives to them to change... is this true, does anyone have knowledge of this kind of thing.

This bothers us the most and in our opinion they knew there might be a serious problem they would have to deal with. Never had we or anyone in any of our family (and that is a lot of cruisers) had a move over offer. It would be interesting to see the statistics on move over offers for past cruises vs this one (of course we will never know this).

2. Why would Princess Cruises have dispatched their “ help team “ to Singapore from Sydney early morning on the day the ship was due to sail if they didn’t already know the cruise was going to be cancelled. And if they did know why didn’t they sms or phone passengers in advance rather then have us all turn up to the cruise terminal.

Sounds like their help team wasn't helpful, despite knowing they were going to have to to deal with 2000 passengers.

3. Given that within about one hour of the announcement being made at the cruise terminal that the cruise was to be cancelled a staging area suitable for 2000 plus passengers had been arranged, all the temporary seating for over 2000 passengers had been set up, food and refreshments foe over 2000 passengers waiting for our arrival.

It doesn't seem they did this well. But that may have been due to lack of resources in Singapore. But since embarkation usually starts around 11am -12pm and they didn't make the announcement until after 1pm, they had some extra time.

Please see my response in purple.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Valid questions. In regards to offers to change and upgrade it happened to friends of ours. They took it and their original cruise did sail.

I cannot comment on your other points, but I know that Princess offers 'move-over' offers. We have been offered this once and friends of ours have also been offered a move-over. I have also read of this on CC. It does happen.

I think Princess was having a bet each way.

They were hoping that they could still sail the ship and the problem would be resolved. That's why they left it to the 11th hour to make the announcement of the cancellation.

They also knew of the problem in advance i.e that it might not be resolved in time so put some plans into place in case that happened.

In March this year, 2 days before we were due to sail on the Sun Princess from Brisbane all in our group (9 cabins) received Moveover offers.

The offer was a full refund in the form of Refundable OBC, a replacement cruise FOC, an upgrade from outside to balcony, and airfares reimbursement. We were doing a 3 night coastal from Brisbane to Sydney and replaced it with a 6 night Sydney - Tasmania return.

There were reports on the roll calls for the Dawn Princess European cruise of people being offered the same sort of deals in the week prior to departure from Australia.

I think Princess was having a bet each way.

They were hoping that they could still sail the ship and the problem would be resolved. That's why they left it to the 11th hour to make the announcement of the cancellation.

They also knew of the problem in advance i.e that it might not be resolved in time so put some plans into place in case that happened.

That was my thinking as well. If you're running a business and are unsure of an outcome (will the ship sail or not), you do everything you can to increase the likelihood of the outcome you want (technical teams working around the clock) and then do what you can to minimize the cost of the undesired outcome (send the response team in advance so they're on site at the right time).

I cannot comment on your other points, but I know that Princess offers 'move-over' offers. We have been offered this once and friends of ours have also been offered a move-over. I have also read of this on CC. It does happen.

Airlines, trains, busses, cruises etc. all routinely overbook their services. Over years of experience, they know that a certain percentage of passengers on any voyage will cancel in the lead up to any given service. As they pass certain chronological 'way-points' in the lead up to a service (assuming the service is overbooked), they will offer pax a move-over in the hope of picking up a late (and hopefully higher yielding) booking. It's not a conspiracy, it just revenue management.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ok guys thanks for the feed back, I now accept that the ” move over “ offers are the norm, over booking a cruise to me seems a little odd, but what do I know, I’m only a passenger. Yes I can understand Princess taking an each way bet regarding if the ship would sail or not, and put in place some contingency plans. Guess I’m a little paranoid when it comes big business spin.

Can I now please get some feed back as to your opinion on our chances of being fully compensated for the cost of travelling to the cruise starting point, Sydney to Singapore, accommodation and meals etc. Have any of you had a simular experience or know of any. I really do appreciate all the info I’m get back from you all. Thanks.

It’s not that we are wanting anything for free, just don’t want to be out of pocket through no fault of our own. Two business class seats Sydney to Singapore, three nights accommodation in Singapore, one nights accommodation in Sydney prior to flight, long term airport car parking, meals and taxi fares. All adds up, in our case over $7,000 not to be sneezed at. The cruise itself cost less, what would you want.

To be totally honest if push comes to shove we’d be happy forgoing the cruise of equal value credit offer and just get our full out of pocket expenses refunded. After this experience we're not too sure we want to another cruise, at least not in the near future.

1. Why would Princess Cruises had contacted so many passengers in the week or so prior to the ships sailing date and suggest that they change their booking on this cruise to another cruise. Was it because they knew well in advance that there was a problem with the ship and they may have to cancel the cruise. I did ask this question of a Princess representative in the Sydney office and was told that cruises are often over booked and it’s common to contact passengers and offer incentives to them to change... is this true, does anyone have knowledge of this kind of thing. Like the airlines which also overbook, Princess has historical data to predict how many cancellations are likely to occur before embarkation day. The way the airlines handle overbooking is to ask for volunteers at the gate and if not enough people volunteer, then those without a seat assignment do not get on that flight. Princess never denies boarding due to overbooking. Instead, then make the move-over offers (or bribes) to confirmed passengers in the weeks leading up to the cruise. If not enough people take the offer, they increase the value of the offer and sooner or later, enough people will accept. For your cruise, this was no indication of a known problem, just normal practice when not enough people cancelled.

2. Why would Princess Cruises have dispatched their “ help team “ to Singapore from Sydney early morning on the day the ship was due to sail if they didn’t already know the cruise was going to be cancelled. And if they did know why didn’t they sms or phone passengers in advance rather then have us all turn up to the cruise terminal. I do not know what time these people were dispatched, but I understand that the Sydney time is two hours earlier than Singapore time, so when the team left Sydney, it was already later in the morning in Singapore. Reports indicate that the electrical problem occured while the ship was already docked at the cruise terminal, not when it was in drydock. I suspect that when the problem occurred, Princess realized it might not be fixed in time for the sailing and set forth to make the arrangements for the help team and to set up the Singapore arrangements for the passengers listed in item (3) below. Since 100% of the passengers were already in Singapore or in the air getting to Singapore, I am not sure what good sending a message would have done unless the message could say to report to the staging area instead of the terminal.

3. Given that within about one hour of the announcement being made at the cruise terminal that the cruise was to be cancelled a staging area suitable for 2000 plus passengers had been arranged, all the temporary seating for over 2000 passengers had been set up, food and refreshments foe over 2000 passengers waiting for our arrival. They probably did not make the announcement until arrangements for the staging area had been put in place.

This was obviously a very bad situation for all of the passengers, but it is definitely a very rare occurance in the cruise industry for a failure like this to occur on embarkation day. Of course a problem that keeps a ship from sailing can happen in any port (witness, for example, the Celebrity Millennium which had the cruise cancelled mid-cruise in Ketchikan, Alaska due to engine problems this past week).

(An earlier problem with a propulsion motor for the Millennium did occur on embarkation day in Seward, Alaska. One news report told how a passenger on that cruise and her 13-year-old son ended up flying right back home after "spending a depressing day in the small town.")

All cruise lines probably have a "help team" set up at an appropriate location ready to be sent quickly to wherever such a problem occurs. For Princess in this case, the team was based in Sydney.

I am sorry your vacation (and that of all the other passengers) was ruined. Hopefully Princess will cover all financial expenses incluing the cost or passengers getting to Singapore before the cruse.

Edited by caribill

Ok guys thanks for the feed back, I now accept that the ” move over “ offers are the norm, over booking a cruise to me seems a little odd, but what do I know, I’m only a passenger. Yes I can understand Princess taking an each way bet regarding if the ship would sail or not, and put in place some contingency plans. Guess I’m a little paranoid when it comes big business spin.

Can I now please get some feed back as to your opinion on our chances of being fully compensated for the cost of travelling to the cruise starting point, Sydney to Singapore, accommodation and meals etc. Have any of you had a simular experience or know of any. I really do appreciate all the info I’m get back from you all. Thanks.

It’s not that we are wanting anything for free, just don’t want to be out of pocket through no fault of our own. Two business class seats Sydney to Singapore, three nights accommodation in Singapore, one nights accommodation in Sydney prior to flight, long term airport car parking, meals and taxi fares. All adds up, in our case over $7,000 not to be sneezed at. The cruise itself cost less, what would you want.

To be totally honest if push comes to shove we’d be happy forgoing the cruise of equal value credit offer and just get our full out of pocket expenses refunded. After this experience we're not too sure we want to another cruise, at least not in the near future.

I feel Princess would be justified in limiting the amount of expenses they would recompense you for. For example, if someone booked business class tickets (as you did) to Singapore when they could have reached the embarkation port for a much cheaper fare, should Princess pay the higher amount? You were in Singapore for three nights prior to the cruise. Where do they draw the line - one night? 2 nights? What if someone went to Asia two weeks ahead of the cruise. Should they be compensated for all their expenses for two weeks? Then there is the question of meals. You have to eat no matter where you are and I realise it costs more if you have meals in a restaurant, but there are restaurants in different price categories. What should Princess cover?

Personally, I feel if Princess covered the cost of economy flights and one night's accommodation prior to the cruise, plus a flat amount per person for meals and incidentals (say $100 to be generous) plus expenses afterwards, they would be very fair. :)

I do understand that Princess or any other such travel provider can’t just have an open cheque book policy for this kind of event. They should judge each claim on the individual merit of the claim, in our case we acquired the closest flight available with business class seats to the departure date of the cruise without leaving our self too finer timing such as the day of sailing, that would be stupid, flights can be delayed, cancelled etc. Yes we did choose to fly business class and paid accordantly this was our choice and if not for the cancellation we’d been fine with that.

As far as why business, well my wife is subject to the development of Deep Vein Thrombosis ( DVT ) she has had three such events to date and under strict medical advice to not travel economy class on long haul flights due to the restrictive cramped seating. We have been to Singapore before and the only reason for the trip was to join the cruise, why three nights, well had no choice all to do with the flight availability to cruise departure. As I said each case should be judged on it’s merit, we are happy to forgo the freebee being offered by Princess as a trade off for full compensation, how much fairer can we be.

Still it’s too early to judge Princess we have just lodged of claim. lets see how it goes.

I feel Princess would be justified in limiting the amount of expenses they would recompense you for. For example, if someone booked business class tickets (as you did) to Singapore when they could have reached the embarkation port for a much cheaper fare, should Princess pay the higher amount?

With that logic, someone who booked a full suite should be compensated for the much cheaper fare of an inside cabin.

With that logic, someone who booked a full suite should be compensated for the much cheaper fare of an inside cabin.

I don't follow your logic. I am not talking about compensation for the missed cruise, but compensation for travel arrangements prior to the cruise. The compensation we are talking about is on top of a refund of the cruise fare and (as I understand it) a credit for a future cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Caribill - Re your point regarding Sydney and Singapore time, Sydney is actually 2 hours ahead, not behind Singapore time. If the Help Team left Sydney early in the morning, there was an additional 2 hour buffer to Singapore time, not a lag. 2 additional hours to inform all or at least some of the guests.

Wazsal - I am sorry this happened to you and others. It is not so much the cancellation, but the way it was managed that seems abysmal by all reports. I hope you do cruise again and have a fabulous experience. I think your airfares and at least a couple of nights accommodation should be refunded for your pre cruise expenditure. I really hope Princess step up and do the right thing for you.

As a side note the worst port experience I ever had was out of that same terminal with hours and hours delay in boarding and the terminal so full no one could move, so pictures posted earlier brought back memories, however we were lucky enough to finally board. I personally don't think I will ever cruise out of Singapore again due to my experience at the port, and I am sure you will probably feel the same. It's a shame as Singapore is beautiful and we really enjoyed our few days there pre cruise.