Sun Princess cancelled departure from Singapore today

MissCruising1

Well the good news is Princess Cruises has refunded our cancelled cruise fairs, and we have just booked another cruise with Princess, using the free cruise credit given as part of the compensation offer. We have chosen a 10 day Australian cruise, sailing on the 11th November this year out of Sydney. Would you believe it ... wait for it, on the Sun Princess, just hope it sails this time.

After being stuck in Singapore last time due to the cancellation, and all the stress of that event, we figured if things go pear shape with the cruise this time in Sydney, we’ll just get back in the car and drive home. Won't have to rely on any help team !!

Still waiting for the out of pocket expenses compensation cheque to arrive, it’s been sent so we should have it soon. Cheers everyone and thanks for all your feed back, it’s been great hearing from you all.

Sailing from a nearby drive-to port is always nice when problems crop up.

The thing I find strange is that Princess has converted all costs incurred in Singapore dollars to Australian dollars at an exchange rate of 1.15, regardless of the actual Australian dollar cost (this was accomm in Singapore, flights Singapore to Australia, taxi fares etc). I provided credit card statements to show the actual costs debited to my card, but they have done their own calculations independently. The overall effect is minimal so I'm not worried about it, I just wonder why they would bother doing that?

Cheers

Megan

I wonder if they make money on the currency conversion.

Good to see others are getting their compensation claims settled in a fair and timely manner.

Like others posting in this forum we, in excepting the compensation offer from Princess fell short of our true out of pocket losses. In our case almost by a couple of thousand dollars, due to circumstances I’ve posted earlier. After taking into consideration the genuine efforts we believed that Princess were endeavouring to make to be fair, we figured that it was better to settle in a quick and congenial manner, rather than get into a prolonged disagreement. Although we do believe that some of their rational was a little short sighted.

Still the whole matter has left us a little unsettled. It has brought to our attention just how vulnerable you really are when you find yourself a long way from home, when an event such as this happens. It really does puts you at the mercy of others, and their ability or their lack of ability to make things as painless as possible. Lets hope that Princess has learnt from this experience and if there is a next time, they have listened to all our comments and act accordantly.

By the way, been just on three weeks since that two week compensation cheque was sent, still not arrived. Well there’s always tomorrow's mail !!

I wonder if they make money on the currency conversion.

As was stated, the overall effect was minimal. Princess is being expedient in getting the checks out to the passengers. The time required to sharpen pencils and track daily fluctuations in exchanges rates would cause refunds to be severely delayed and people to get even more upset.

As was stated, the overall effect was minimal. Princess is being expedient in getting the checks out to the passengers. The time required to sharpen pencils and track daily fluctuations in exchanges rates would cause refunds to be severely delayed and people to get even more upset.

What could be easier than refunding what people actually paid in Aussie dollars, verified by payment receipts (no currency calculations necessary)!

What could be easier than refunding what people actually paid in Aussie dollars, verified by payment receipts (no currency calculations necessary)!

They have their reasons for the process, unknown to us. My point is I sincerely doubt they are attempting to "make money" off the exchange rate.

Just want to add a general comment to the thread. Forty plus years of cruising (with many cruise lines) has taught us a few general rules. 1. Do not take a cruise for at least 4 weeks after the end of a scheduled drydock. 2. Do not take a cruise for a month before a scheduled drydock. 3. Do not take a maiden voyage.

Hank

Good suggestion, but how do we fine out about drydock? Is there a place to check? Thanks.

Sorry to keep banging on about this event, believe me I don’t take a whole lot of enjoyment from the affair, but I strongly feel a need to air my real concerns in regards to the need for a fair and equable out come for everyone, including the cruise company.

Until Princess Cruises finishers processing all the claims for compensation we really shouldn't prejudge them, but from some of the comments being made in this forum, by fellow passengers in regards to their statements of information that Princess won’t be compensating passengers for travelling to and pre-cruise accommodation in Singapore prior to the cancellation, unless purchased as part of a package for the cruise through Princess worries me greatly.

I’ve clearly stated already in my earlier postings that the expense of travelling to Singapore, and any pre-cruise accommodation is by any measure part of the financial lose suffered by all passengers. Not only that of passengers who may of purchased a said package deal through Princess Cruises.

Be it that you travelled by economy, business or first class, be it that you stayed one, two or three nights in a budget or top of the line hotel pre-cruise, the loss is real and down to the cancellation of the cruise. The cancellation which lies solely at the feet of Princess Cruises. I do how ever hold out faith that Princess will behave in a responsible manner, be a good corporate citizen and do the right thing and not try the David and goliath approach, me big you small.

I believe that this cruise due to the ship being based in Australia would come under Australian consumer laws, and as such any dispute can be adjudicated on by the Department of Fair Trading. Then there is the option of a class action and the bad publicity that such an action would attract. But we are getting ahead of our self, lets wait and see what offers of compensation Princess Cruises make in this matter. Still please keep posting your options and any news or advice you may have in these matters.

I have my expenses cheque which arrived minutes ago and for me, I have to say that taking everything into account, and although they knocked me back without explanation (275A$) they have paid me everything else including the outward and inbound flights and possibly for my 1 night stay in Singapore. I did claim for everything and that included my food after cancellation until I arrive home. Plus taxi fares in Singapore so they certainly paid some of them but when its only $275 I think they have acted in a fair and considered way. Plus the full fare refund, which will arrive no doubt in due course and of course the full fare credit refund. So all in all, that has to be a generous gesture by the management to try and satisfy all passengers that were affected by the cancellation of the cruise S325. I say well done Princess you should be proud of what you have done in this instance. Thank you!:D

Edited by Calpespain

Great to see that some people are getting satisfaction we have been knocked back for some of our out of pocket expenses "Business Class"" and after ringing princess and speaking to two people both saying the lady that was handling our case was in a meeting!! and she would return my call that was thursday still have not heard from them !!!! I am Elite and we are loyal Princess Cruisers am a bit dissapointed :mad:

Edited by lancefield

The cheque for our out of pocket losses arrived today from Princess Cruises. This now completes our compensation agreement with Princess and we can move forward and put the whole unfortunate event behind us.

A big thank you from us to all those CC members who shared their stories and advice in this forum. We wish you all the very best and happy cruising.

Cheers Wazza & Sal.

I'm very happy to hear that everyone is getting their compensation cheques. However, the biggest thing that I'm seeing out of this whole saga is that you MUST purchase travel insurance if you are travelling overseas. That way, you are in a much stronger position to get costs reimbursed than if you just rely on cruise company compensations.

Still no reply from princess am very disappointed with them even if they think that we do not deserve a refund a reply would be appreciated .We fly business class due to my husband health went to Singapore by Business Class was told ok to come home Business Class they would reimburse us, booked our own flights with there knowledge after waiting for three days for a flight organized by them, upon recieving there flight found it was the night before no one told us !!!!! Booked our flights at the pursers office on there phone to my travel agent ,waited on hold to recieve a comfirmed flight on there computer which they printed and handed to me and now know one wants to talk to me!!! Not good enough Princess!!! anyone else having trouble??

Indeed. I am starting to get annoyed now. The guy dealing with our case has gone on assignment. I suspect to help out the stranded people in Europe. I heard another princess ship limped to a port but then the people had to get off.

Indeed. I am starting to get annoyed now. The guy dealing with our case has gone on assignment. I suspect to help out the stranded people in Europe. I heard another princess ship limped to a port but then the people had to get off.

The new Royal lost power for 2 days and passengers had to be sent home, not only early, but many from a different port.

Still no reply from princess am very disappointed with them even if they think that we do not deserve a refund a reply would be appreciated .We fly business class due to my husband health went to Singapore by Business Class was told ok to come home Business Class they would reimburse us, booked our own flights with there knowledge after waiting for three days for a flight organized by them, upon recieving there flight found it was the night before no one told us !!!!! Booked our flights at the pursers office on there phone to my travel agent ,waited on hold to recieve a comfirmed flight on there computer which they printed and handed to me and now know one wants to talk to me!!! Not good enough Princess!!! anyone else having trouble??

For medical reasons my wife can’t fly economy class either due to the cramped and restricted seating, there for we have to fly business class, we except that, and willing pay accordantly. When the cruise was cancelled and it became apparent that we’ll have to fly back to Sydney from Singapore, I rang Princess Cruise's Sydney office and explained our need to fly Business class and was told that they would make sure we’d be sent home in the same class as we’d arrived and at their expense. I was also given the same assurance by two other Princess staff members on site in Singapore that afternoon. It never happened we were forced by Princess to fly home economy class. So much for the three separate assurance’s given to us, at the time we put it down to just another stuff up happening in Singapore that day. We were just happy to be going home that night and took the risk.

After returning home and first contacting Princess Cruises by phone about our claim for out of pocket expense’s, we were assured that all reasonable losses would be covered and to submit our claim. We emailed in our claim attaching proof of expenses and a letter explaining the reasons for us having to fly business class, and how due to flight availability we had no choice but to arrive in Singapore three days prior to sailing. I believe in being strongly pro-active in such situations and as such only waited a few days before I contacted Princess by phone and emails to follow up our claim.

At first Princess response was that we’d only be re-embussed for economy class flight and one nights accommodation in Singapore. Although it was never a condition of our settlement that I not reveal the final agreed compensation, I can assure you it was a lot better than first offered. We never got all of our out of pocket expenses re-embussed, but I did negotiate a much fairer and reasonable settlement then was first offered, one which I could live with.

My advice to you would be that you become very pro-active in dealing with Princess Cruises and not just take no for an answer. If you still can’t get a reasonable and fair offer of settlement of your claim, then contact Fair Trading or what ever the relevant government consumer protection department is in your state. This cruise and Princess Cruises in this instance are bound by the Australian consumer laws and as such so are your consumer rights. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Thankyou wazsal for the very informative info still havent heard a word from Princess spoke to my TA who spoke to the her Rep at Princess and she was following it up and going to talk to the lady that was handling our case and she would contact me in 2 days as usual have not heard anything!!!! Very disappointed with Princess i have a group of 8 on a Jan Cruise with them to NZ and a group of 10 in a July cruise in Europe obviously they only want our money VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED

Thankyou wazsal for the very informative info still havent heard a word from Princess spoke to my TA who spoke to the her Rep at Princess and she was following it up and going to talk to the lady that was handling our case and she would contact me in 2 days as usual have not heard anything!!!! Very disappointed with Princess i have a group of 8 on a Jan Cruise with them to NZ and a group of 10 in a July cruise in Europe obviously they only want our money VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED

Sorry if I sound a little pushy but I get really p’d off when ever I hear of good people like yourself getting stuffed about like you are. I guess it’s not a totally bad idea to have your TA represent your claim to Princess, but you are relying on a third person and what if anything they may or may not discuss on your behalf, I strongly recommend you contact Princess Cruises directly, first by phone to establish a contact by name and follow it up in writing via email.

From what I have read on this forum and from my own personal experience, it would appear that most if not every other passenger has come to a fair and reasonable arrangement with Princess on their compensation claim. We have had our cruise fare fully refunded via our TA, we have been credited to the same value of the cancelled cruise for a future cruise ( a free cruise ) plus a fair cash settlement via a cheque for our out of pocket losses. The amount agreed on and paid by Princess in regards to our out of pocket losses included one nights accommodation in Sydney and evening meals pre flight to Singapore, Sydney airport car parking, one nights accommodation and meals in Singapore, taxi fair from Singapore hotel to cruise terminal and we meet half way on the cost of our business class air fare to Singapore. They also paid for our economy class air fare back to Sydney from Singapore.

Our experience in dealing with Princess Cruises in regards to this matter was that it was handled in a respectful and professional way by the staff in their Sydney office, we appreciated their situation and genuine desire to come to a fair agreement and in that spirit we compromised a little and a quick result was achieved. Having said that I was extremely pro-active and assertive in my arguing my case. Again I strongly suggest you do the same, contact Princess Cruises Sydney office personally, don’t be put off be assertive, but polite and be willing to compromise a little.

If you need more help or information in regards to my experience in this matter just ask and I’ll post my personal email details and we can talk directly off forum. All the best.

Thanks very much Wazsal for your support i have rang them and spoke to someone but the answer i recieved was the lady that i needed to talk to was in a meeting i even asked for her by name they did get the idea that i was very unhappy with there settlement and Princess Sydney have not rang me back so i will start again on Monday and see if i can get someone to at least respond to my enquiry very poor PR on there part that was 18 days ago!!

Edited by lancefield

Thanks very much Wazsal for your support i have rang them and spoke to someone but the answer i recieved was the lady that i needed to talk to was in a meeting i even asked for her by name they did get the idea that i was very unhappy with there settlement and Princess Sydney have not rang me back so i will start again on Monday and see if i can get someone to at least respond to my enquiry very poor PR on there part that was 18 days ago!!

Don't bother calling on Monday, it's a long weekend over here. Hang in there my friend remember it's the squeakiest door that gets the most oil !!

People waiting at 10pm.

This is terrible. First of all if a cruiseline knows a cruise is cancelled why not right away tell passengers via the emergency contact# or at least have agents at the pier to tell the passengers to go to HotelXXX and at a certain time come downstairs for the information/rebooking etc.

Then there should have been a catered dinner and the passengers split up between different hotels to better keep track of the passengers.

Then there should be given the option to find a cruise in the surrounding area be it on another cruiseline and book any passengers who still want a cruise and change their flights/hotels etc.

Those that return home then the cruiseline needs to fly them home and then back to Singapore even if your home is in New York+any hotels needed pre and post cruise.

Either way Princess handled it poorly. You are owed more than flights,OBC etc.

OMG!! How horrible! what a crazy crazy situation and I just feel terrible for everyone that was in that warehouse, hotels, cruise terminal :(

Princess should have picked up the bill since the Heart Attack could be related to the stress of the event. I hope they asked Princess to foot the bill.