Sun Princess cancelled departure from Singapore today

MissCruising1

Yeah everyone says Bali is amazing. Oh well can't be helped. I still have no word as to why it was cancelled. Princess will only say letter in cabin.

I'm betting you'll get the standard "Operational Reasons" excuse which tells you absolutely nothing other than they don't want to tell you.

As most of you would know, I have been very critical of the way in which the post cancellation of the Sun Princess cruise had been handled at the time in Singapore. I can now appreciate the difficulties faced on that day by Princess and how we can all be wiser in hind sight. After many discussions on this matter with staff from the Princess Cruises, I’m confident that a lot has been learnt from this event.

At first Sally and I had real concerns that our pre cruise expenses would not be treated fairly and we’d be denied just and reasonable compensation, for our out of pocket losses due to the cancellation.

We have now come to an arrangement with Princess Cruises on a compensation deal. I can only tell you that we weren’t able to secure full reimbursement for all our losses but in the spirit of co-operation between both parties I believe that Princess Cruises have been reasonable and fair.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the Princess Cruises Sydney office team, for the professional and courteous way in which they treated us throughout the last two weeks. This has reinstated our faith in the company, we are now looking forward to sailing with Princess in the not too distance future.

Thank you also to all the support and advice given to us through this forum by the members.

As most of you would know, I have been very critical of the way in which the post cancellation of the Sun Princess cruise had been handled at the time in Singapore. I can now appreciate the difficulties faced on that day by Princess and how we can all be wiser in hind sight. After many discussions on this matter with staff from the Princess Cruises, I’m confident that a lot has been learnt from this event.

At first Sally and I had real concerns that our pre cruise expenses would not be treated fairly and we’d be denied just and reasonable compensation, for our out of pocket losses due to the cancellation.

We have now come to an arrangement with Princess Cruises on a compensation deal. I can only tell you that we weren’t able to secure full reimbursement for all our losses but in the spirit of co-operation between both parties I believe that Princess Cruises have been reasonable and fair.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the Princess Cruises Sydney office team, for the professional and courteous way in which they treated us throughout the last two weeks. This has reinstated our faith in the company, we are now looking forward to sailing with Princess in the not too distance future.

Thank you also to all the support and advice given to us through this forum by the members.

Excellent. Happy cruising!

Marvelous that your situation is resolved in an expeditious manner. Of course, for you and anyone else on that "non cruise", it probably seemed a decision from Princess came at a snails pace!! I thought all along Princess would want a sealed settlement and request the amount and terms not be disclosed. But I am so happy that you feel it was just and that you plan to cruise again. Wishing you and Sally fair winds and following seas!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Marvelous that your situation is resolved in an expeditious manner. Of course, for you and anyone else on that "non cruise", it probably seemed a decision from Princess came at a snails pace!! I thought all along Princess would want a sealed settlement and request the amount and terms not be disclosed. But I am so happy that you feel it was just and that you plan to cruise again. Wishing you and Sally fair winds and following seas!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To be fair, Princess Cruises did not at any time require me not to disclose details of our settlement. I believe it to be just good old fashion manners not to reveal such details. Thank you for your good wishes and we wish you the same.

Are there any other Sun Princess passengers effected by the cancellation here in the forum. If so please let us know how your claim for compensation is going, has anyone else had a result yet. Are you happy with how your been treated. If your not happy take my advice and get pro-active, as they say the squeaky door gets the most oil. I’d be most interested in knowing if passengers from different countries are treated differently.

I am glad you have reached an equitable settlement with Princess. Thank you for posting the above information. Your attitude is admirable. :)

Are there any other Sun Princess passengers effected by the cancellation here in the forum. If so please let us know how your claim for compensation is going, has anyone else had a result yet. Are you happy with how your been treated. If your not happy take my advice and get pro-active, as they say the squeaky door gets the most oil. I’d be most interested in knowing if passengers from different countries are treated differently.

Hi Everyone,

just letting everyone on the forum know that we received a call from Princess Cruises to inform us that our out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed via cheque in approx two weeks. Needless to say we were very shocked and suprised and happy to received the call. A big thank you to PRincess Cruises and the staff that have had to handle a lot of very unhappy passengers over the past two weeks.

We know feel that we can go ahead and book our next cruise with confidence that if any thing happens again they will make things right. After such a stressful and disappointing time we are both looking forward to the next cruise. Just hope that Princess have a plan in place to handle the situation better IF it happens again, people should not have to go through what we did on that day.

It is all over now and we are looking forward to planing out next trip.

Thank you all for the information that has been posted and Thnak you Princess Cruises.

Yes, thanks to our terrific online travel agents, we have our full refund and are booked to go on Sun Princess Freo to Sydney leaving Sept 29. Watched from our home last night as she travelled up the coast west of Rottnest Island, bound for Lombok etc and Singapore..also visited her at Freo where crew members raved about the beaut condition of the ship following dry dock. Still awaiting expenses etc but much happier now after all the worry and angst. Friends' refund cheques are also starting to arrive. Thanks Princess!

Wow! I guess I've been spending so much time on the RCI boards that I missed this thread at first.

I'm SO sorry for everything the passengers had to deal with - the warehouse with noodles sounds just awful :eek:

I'm glad to hear that Princess finally seems to be making things right (or close to it).

I hope all the affected passengers are able to put this behind them and enjoy a future cruise, whether on Princess or another line.

....now running off to finally get trip insurance for my future cruises (just made some final payments this past week)

I'm here! I just submitted our compensation claim today, and got the standard "acknowledgement of receipt and will be processed in 30 days" response. I'll post back when we get a personalised reply and let you know of our satisfaction (or otherwise!)

Cheers

Megan

I'm here! I just submitted our compensation claim today, and got the standard "acknowledgement of receipt and will be processed in 30 days" response. I'll post back when we get a personalised reply and let you know of our satisfaction (or otherwise!)

Cheers

Megan

Good luck, although we didn’t get all that I believe we should of in a perfect world, we did get a fair and reasonable result. It wasn’t without me standing my ground and in the end willing to be realistic, just remember Princess was at fault not you.

Having said that I do believe from my experience in dealing with Princess on this matter that with the right attitude and a willingness to appreciate Princess Cruises situation, you should get a fair out come. I do honestly believe that Princess wants to do the right thing by all the passengers, everyone's situation is different and from what I’ve experienced and what others have told me Princess is willing to come to an arrangement that is fair to both parties.

Good luck, although we didn’t get all that I believe we should of in a perfect world, we did get a fair and reasonable result. It wasn’t without me standing my ground and in the end willing to be realistic, just remember Princess was at fault not you.

Having said that I do believe from my experience in dealing with Princess on this matter that with the right attitude and a willingness to appreciate Princess Cruises situation, you should get a fair out come. I do honestly believe that Princess wants to do the right thing by all the passengers, everyone's situation is different and from what I’ve experienced and what others have told me Princess is willing to come to an arrangement that is fair to both parties.

I think that is the right attitude to have and I'm glad you are looking forward to another cruise (based on another one of your posts).

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but did they at least fly you home business class (since that was what you had originally purchased)?

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

I think that is the right attitude to have and I'm glad you are looking forward to another cruise (based on another one of your posts).

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but did they at least fly you home business class (since that was what you had originally purchased)?

NO, despite being assured by Princess staff both over the phone when I rang the Sydney office from the cruise terminal in Singapore, and by at least two other Princess representatives at the time on the spot, during the whole post cruise cancellation mess that afternoon / evening.

When we arrived at Singapore Airport late that night there was no record of our bookings for flights back to Sydney with Qantas as promised by Princess staff back at the “ Passenger Warehouse “ and if it wasn't’ for the SATS team at the airport who organised a flight for us with Singapore Airlines that night, we would of been stranded at the airport until late the next night.

Unfortunately SATS was only able to secure economy class seats for us, as they weren’t able to get confirmation from Princess for the authorisation of business class seats as promised. I’m putting it down to just being another part of the total lack of any real organisation that night. I guess they had a lot more pressing things on their minds. Lucky the flight was not full and we were able grab the four centre seats and stretch out.

Unfortunately SATS was only able to secure economy class seats for us, as they weren’t able to get confirmation from Princess for the authorisation of business class seats as promised. I’m putting it down to just being another part of the total lack of any real organisation that night. I guess they had a lot more pressing things on their minds. Lucky the flight was not full and we were able grab the four centre seats and stretch out.

Surely, if Princess was on the ball, the flight should have been full, under the circumstances, or weren't many people flying where you were flying?

Surely, if Princess was on the ball, the flight should have been full, under the circumstances, or weren't many people flying where you were flying?

The best way for me to answer your question is for me to tell the cause of events for that evening as I witness it.

After many hours huddled in the “passenger warehouse” under the Marina Bay Hotel without a lot, if any useful information being given out, as to when or how we were to be accommodated that night, or when or if any flights home had been arranged. Eventually about 9 to 9.30 pm or there about the gentleman who appeared to be in charge came on the P.A. system to explain that some flights had been arranged for that evening.

He then went on to explained that a Qantas flight to Sydney via Melbourne for about 84 passengers had been secured, he proceeded to call out the names of those passengers. After which he announced there were other flights arranged for more passengers but smaller groups with a mix of airlines. All the names were announced, passengers named made their way as directed to be transported to the airport, while the rest of us continued to wait instructions as to our fate.

About 10 or 10.30 pm a Singaporean gentleman came on the P.A. and announced that with the consent of Princess Cruises, SATS ( Singapore Airport Terminal Services ) had arranged for 100 seats to be made available on a Qantas direct flight to Sydney leaving about 11.30 pm. We along with about 18 other passengers made our way over to the SATS gentleman to take advantage of the offer. Within about 30 minutes three mini busses arrived to rush us to the airport.

As we were loading our luggage and self into the mini busses, the Princess team had started to organise passengers into groups to go to hotels for the night. We wondered why only about 20 passengers had taken up SATS offer. We could only guess by this time at night and after 8 or 9 hours of sitting around in uncomfortable conditions, that most people only wanted to have a shower and go to bed. The prospect of another hour at Singapore airport and a 9 hour flight to Sydney, plus then on arrival in Sydney having to arrange either a connecting flight, or transport to their homes was all too much by now.

Now this is when it all got a little strange, when we arrived at Singapore Airport a SATS team helped us with our luggage to the Qantas check-in desk. Unbelievably Qantas check-in staff knew nothing about any arrangement for our flight, after much discussion between us fellow passengers and staff at the airport, it was reported that the earlier group of passengers, the lucky 84 due to bad organisation by the Princess team had arrived too late for the Sydney via Melbourne flight, which had left with a lot of empty seats, and our seats on the Qantas direct to Sydney flight had been given to those earlier 84 passengers.

After about half an hour or so of standing around at the Qantas check-in desk area, which by now had closed and the staff were leaving work for the night, a SATS representative came over to us to say that Princess had now made arrangements for us to fly out the next night instead, and we were to make our way back to the ship, where we could spend the night. Now remember a lot of the passengers who Princess had boarded that afternoon for accommodation that night only had been put back off the ship and sent to the “Passenger Warehouse” about 8 pm due to toilets and showers etc. not working as well as many of the other amenities on board.

By this time we’d all had enough with the lack of any organisation or real care for the passengers by the so called “ Help Team “ Most of us had been up and out of our respective hotels since 10 am that morning, standing around the cruise terminal for hours, until at 1.30 pm when the cancellation news was made. Then we’d been stuck in the Warehouse for hours. We were hungry and tied, we all just wanted to go home. Any thought of making our way to the ship at 11.30 pm and most likely being told “ You can’t come on board, there are no working facilities, go away “ was all too much.

Seeing our predicament a SATS team lead by Mr Tan Chuan Lye, the company’s President & CEO came to our rescue, contacted Princess to get an agreement of payment to Singapore Airlines for us all on a scheduled flight that night direct to Sydney.

Now if the information I know to be true, and the information I was told by others there to be true, that the Qantas flight to Sydney via Melbourne left that night without the 84 cruise passengers who Princess had gotten to airport too late, and who in turn had taken our seats, left with at least 84 empty seats. Then the Singapore Airlines flight direct to Sydney that we travelled home on, in our section alone had about 40 plus empty seats plus others throughout the plane. You have to ask the question, how could Princess Cruises who were well aware of the cancellation by about midday, with all it’s contacts within the airline industry, not of know about the available of these seats, how could they not of organise the booking of these seats on both the two Qantas and Singapore flights to Sydney that night within a few hours of the cancellation.

If this event had been more professionally handled, so many more passengers could of been on flights home that night and been able to relax that evening in the knowledge of their fate.

The best way for me to answer your question is for me to tell the cause of events for that evening as I witness it.

After many hours huddled in the “passenger warehouse” under the Marina Bay Hotel without a lot, if any useful information being given out, as to when or how we were to be accommodated that night, or when or if any flights home had been arranged. Eventually about 9 to 9.30 pm or there about the gentleman who appeared to be in charge came on the P.A. system to explain that some flights had been arranged for that evening.

He then went on to explained that a Qantas flight to Sydney via Melbourne for about 84 passengers had been secured, he proceeded to call out the names of those passengers. After which he announced there were other flights arranged for more passengers but smaller groups with a mix of airlines. All the names were announced, passengers named made their way as directed to be transported to the airport, while the rest of us continued to wait instructions as to our fate.

About 10 or 10.30 pm a Singaporean gentleman came on the P.A. and announced that with the consent of Princess Cruises, SATS ( Singapore Airport Terminal Services ) had arranged for 100 seats to be made available on a Qantas direct flight to Sydney leaving about 11.30 pm. We along with about 18 other passengers made our way over to the SATS gentleman to take advantage of the offer. Within about 30 minutes three mini busses arrived to rush us to the airport.

As we were loading our luggage and self into the mini busses, the Princess team had started to organise passengers into groups to go to hotels for the night. We wondered why only about 20 passengers had taken up SATS offer. We could only guess by this time at night and after 8 or 9 hours of sitting around in uncomfortable conditions, that most people only wanted to have a shower and go to bed. The prospect of another hour at Singapore airport and a 9 hour flight to Sydney, plus then on arrival in Sydney having to arrange either a connecting flight, or transport to their homes was all too much by now.

Now this is when it all got a little strange, when we arrived at Singapore Airport a SATS team helped us with our luggage to the Qantas check-in desk. Unbelievably Qantas check-in staff knew nothing about any arrangement for our flight, after much discussion between us fellow passengers and staff at the airport, it was reported that the earlier group of passengers, the lucky 84 due to bad organisation by the Princess team had arrived too late for the Sydney via Melbourne flight, which had left with a lot of empty seats, and our seats on the Qantas direct to Sydney flight had been given to those earlier 84 passengers.

After about half an hour or so of standing around at the Qantas check-in desk area, which by now had closed and the staff were leaving work for the night, a SATS representative came over to us to say that Princess had now made arrangements for us to fly out the next night instead, and we were to make our way back to the ship, where we could spend the night. Now remember a lot of the passengers who Princess had boarded that afternoon for accommodation that night only had been put back off the ship and sent to the “Passenger Warehouse” about 8 pm due to toilets and showers etc. not working as well as many of the other amenities on board.

By this time we’d all had enough with the lack of any organisation or real care for the passengers by the so called “ Help Team “ Most of us had been up and out of our respective hotels since 10 am that morning, standing around the cruise terminal for hours, until at 1.30 pm when the cancellation news was made. Then we’d been stuck in the Warehouse for hours. We were hungry and tied, we all just wanted to go home. Any thought of making our way to the ship at 11.30 pm and most likely being told “ You can’t come on board, there are no working facilities, go away “ was all too much.

Seeing our predicament a SATS team lead by Mr Tan Chuan Lye, the company’s President & CEO came to our rescue, contacted Princess to get an agreement of payment to Singapore Airlines for us all on a scheduled flight that night direct to Sydney.

Now if the information I know to be true, and the information I was told by others there to be true, that the Qantas flight to Sydney via Melbourne left that night without the 84 cruise passengers who Princess had gotten to airport too late, and who in turn had taken our seats, left with at least 84 empty seats. Then the Singapore Airlines flight direct to Sydney that we travelled home on, in our section alone had about 40 plus empty seats plus others throughout the plane. You have to ask the question, how could Princess Cruises who were well aware of the cancellation by about midday, with all it’s contacts within the airline industry, not of know about the available of these seats, how could they not of organise the booking of these seats on both the two Qantas and Singapore flights to Sydney that night within a few hours of the cancellation.

If this event had been more professionally handled, so many more passengers could of been on flights home that night and been able to relax that evening in the knowledge of their fate.

Thank you for your detailed response, which is hard to believe. Someone in Princess Cruises needs to be held accountable for lack of duty of care by not offering their stranded passengers seats, which were available on these flights.

Princess could learn a thing or two from Cathay Pacific staff who organised within four hours flights, accommodation, hotels for all the people who were delayed in Delhi due to fog and missed connecting flights. I was passenger who got caught up in that delay. There was over 200 passengers who missed connections to Melbourne and Sydney in Hong Kong and by the time we landed in Hong Kong. They prioritised everyone, eldery, families with young children went on the first available flight the rest of us had hotels, food vouchers and on another flight eight hours later. Very efficient.

Now, I realise Princess problem was much larger, but you think that they wasted so much time on the ground they should have grouped people into their home cities and got onto the airlines to check availability as well as started to put aside accommodation in Singapore. They could have at least run a caterer to put together some food. A huge learning experience for the cruiseline.

Edited by icat2000

A huge learning experience for the cruiseline.

I am surprised that cruiselines are having so much trouble with these issues, both X and Princess have recently handled similar situations with similar chaotic organisation. They need to learn from this as I am sure it will happen again in the future, hopefully not soon.:D

Love 2 cruise, with all due respect mate,

You have no idea of when we booked the cruise. The limited window of opportunity we had time wise for us to secure the level of seating with our preferred carrier, and not just some cheap budget airline. What if any were our flight options as far as arriving any closer or not to the cruise departure date.

These were our choices, and we happily paid for these choices, if the cruise wasn’t cancelled we’d be happy. Please remember there would not be a problem if the ship had sailed. Our limited choice of airline and seating availability caused us to have three nights accommodation in Singapore, this was unavoidable. Believe me we would much rather of only spent the one night in Singapore.

We have been to Singapore on four other occasions, three of which were short transit stop overs, the forth a week in Singapore on the way home from the U.K. And yes due to having three days to kill while waiting for the cruise, we did find things to do to fill in the time, and yes one of which was to visit the Singapore Zoo, a Zoo that is based on our own Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney but a lot smaller. Taronga Park Zoo we have visited many times, so going to Singapore Zoo was no big deal, just a time filler. By the way we have not requested nor would we expect Princess to compensate us in part or whole for the cost of these activities, these were our choice and as such our responsibility.

As far as Princess re-embussing us for the business class airflight, this has not as yet been confirmed my friend, this may still turn out to be a battle. And are you saying one nights accommodation pre-cruise is ok and more is not, regardless of the cost of that accommodation. If a passenger had stayed in a $1200 per night hotel is that ok and it would be fair to expect Princess to pay the $1200 and not fair as in our case for Princess to pay for three nights in a $280 per night hotel, even when having to stay three nights was unavoidable.

Your question" “ Where does it end “ well in my humble opinion it ends when people, in this case Sun Princess passengers are fairly compensated for their financial losses due to no fault of their own. I welcome your opinion, I just don’t agree with it. Now I have a question for you, would you still think the same if you were in my shoes ??

I couldn't agree with you more Wazsal. Singapore, whilst a nice place for a visit if you haven't previously been, is not where we would be going for a holiday. It is simply a transit point or a hop on/hop off point for a cruise.

You would not have been in Singapore except for embarking on the cruise and if personal/medical or whatever reason dictates you fly in early on a business class flight, Princess needs to cop it sweet!

Beryl

Edited by kobecat

• 2 weeks later...

Well the good news is Princess Cruises has refunded our cancelled cruise fairs, and we have just booked another cruise with Princess, using the free cruise credit given as part of the compensation offer. We have chosen a 10 day Australian cruise, sailing on the 11th November this year out of Sydney. Would you believe it ... wait for it, on the Sun Princess, just hope it sails this time.

After being stuck in Singapore last time due to the cancellation, and all the stress of that event, we figured if things go pear shape with the cruise this time in Sydney, we’ll just get back in the car and drive home. Won't have to rely on any help team !!

Still waiting for the out of pocket expenses compensation cheque to arrive, it’s been sent so we should have it soon. Cheers everyone and thanks for all your feed back, it’s been great hearing from you all.

Just want to add a general comment to the thread. Forty plus years of cruising (with many cruise lines) has taught us a few general rules. 1. Do not take a cruise for at least 4 weeks after the end of a scheduled drydock. 2. Do not take a cruise for a month before a scheduled drydock. 3. Do not take a maiden voyage.

Hank

My compensation claim has now been assessed by Princess too. I don't have the cheque yet, but it should be on it's way within 2 weeks.

Like others, I didn't quite get everything I was asking for, but it's within a couple of hundred dollars, so I'm happy to settle rather than quibble over it. The main difference between my claim and Princess' approved claim is that they have only agreed to pay one night's accommodation in Singapore pre-cruise (we were there for two nights). I think there are arguments both ways on that issue - we wouldn't have gone to Singapore but to board the cruise, but for the same token, we did do some touring on our extra day there.

The thing I find strange is that Princess has converted all costs incurred in Singapore dollars to Australian dollars at an exchange rate of 1.15, regardless of the actual Australian dollar cost (this was accomm in Singapore, flights Singapore to Australia, taxi fares etc). I provided credit card statements to show the actual costs debited to my card, but they have done their own calculations independently. The overall effect is minimal so I'm not worried about it, I just wonder why they would bother doing that?

Anyway, looking forward to putting the whole ordeal behind us and investigating our future cruise options :) At this stage we're looking at a 2014 Christmas cruise to NZ - like others I'm hesitant to board (or attempt to board) overseas again, if something goes wrong in Melbourne or Sydney it won't be hard to get ourselves home, without having to spend a day in a warehouse somewhere!

Cheers

Megan