Princess intranet on Royal

DoulaAnn

I love the idea of the intranet on the Royal and I look forward to using it instead of the Patters and for my ship board account.
Same here. I carry my iPad Mini with me everywhere I go anyway, even at home, and to be able to double-check activities, see exactly where I have to go, access my folio, etc. excites me. The first few days are going to be confusing on the new ship no matter how many other ships I've been on. Can't wait to board the Royal!

I have. I demagnetized my hotel room keys all the time. Doesn't take but a split second and it's unusable. :(

Mrs. Pablo has a purse with a magnetic catch. Deadly to cards.

I used to have a blackberry with a holster. The holster had a magnet

so the bb altered its behaviour in or out of the holster.

That thing was a weapon. Killed cards at distance!

Is the Intranet supported by all tablets like the Nook HD+, the new Nexus 7, and the Kindle Fire HD? I'm actually looking into buying a tablet or eReader this weekend and was wondering?

Hold off on the new Nexus 7 Dave. The newest one has some issues with the GPS going off and being unable to work again until a reboot. As well, there is a software problem causing extra touch events that you didn't do on the screen.

Is the Intranet supported by all tablets like the Nook HD+, the new Nexus 7, and the Kindle Fire HD? I'm actually looking into buying a tablet or eReader this weekend and was wondering?

Dave,

I did read somewhere on cc that it does work with the Kindle Fire also. Not sure about the others, although if they have an android operating system, the answer is probably yes.

Steve

Hold off on the new Nexus 7 Dave. The newest one has some issues with the GPS going off and being unable to work again until a reboot. As well, there is a software problem causing extra touch events that you didn't do on the screen.
Google recently released an update that corrects the GPS and Touch issues. Installed on mine and it has no issues. I will be bringing my Nexus 7 next month and I am sure it will work just fine. I have an iPad 2 and an iPad Mini, but I have been transitioning to android. I still like and use my iPads, but the Nexus 7 is much faster and has a sharper display. I highly recommend it. My wife will be bringing her Kindle Fire.

It is really easier to carry a cell phone around all day than a folded page of paper?

Wife and I don't like to carry our phones around on the ship. What we do is read the Patter, decide which activities we want to do, and each of us writes on a small note paper the time, place and activity we want to do. We each put our notes in our pockets and we are ready for the day. If we think we might need to find each other while doing separate activities, then we put the others choice of activities on our note.

Thanks Benny and Steve! On the way home from work this morning I had to stop off at Walmart for a few groceries and wandered into the electronics department. They had the 9" Nook HD+ on sale for $149 so (as rare as it is for me) I made an impulse buy and brought it home. I have two weeks to try it out and return it if I don't like it. I'll play with it more over the next few days and download a book and movie just to make sure it works well enough but so far I really like it! Just hope maybe it too can connect to the Intranet on Royal Princess. ;)

Thanks Benny and Steve! On the way home from work this morning I had to stop off at Walmart for a few groceries and wandered into the electronics department. They had the 9" Nook HD+ on sale for $149 so (as rare as it is for me) I made an impulse buy and brought it home. I have two weeks to try it out and return it if I don't like it. I'll play with it more over the next few days and download a book and movie just to make sure it works well enough but so far I really like it! Just hope maybe it too can connect to the Intranet on Royal Princess. ;)

I'd say you made a good choice.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57591141-10391733/does-it-still-make-sense-to-buy-a-nook-hd/

THANKS billco, that's a really great article and CNET is a very reliable source. Makes me happy about my choice. :D I actually bought another small piece of equipment a few months ago for my iPhone 5 (a JBL docking station/speaker) based off of one of their reviews. It's on the nightstand next to my bed and plays while I'm sleeping during the day. Works pretty darn good for as small as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread. I was on Oasis last year and they had iphone3's they were using and working to the upgrade Royal seems to have! Hubby and I are happy with the easy access as the iphone is as much a camera as a phone so we always have it with us!!

Now--Royal's phone was kinda cruddy but it was great bc

1. you could Call one another or rooms-Would have been awesome to text!

2. You could track another phone. So, if you left it somewhere or you wanted to hunt down a spouse or friend you could.

I have to tell you the access to travel mates was so awesome, I think we spent more time out and about b/c we didn't have to run all the way back to the rooms or really stick to time frames b/c we had access to one another!

Anyone know if Princess will offer these features!?!:D

Thanks!

I have to tell you the access to travel mates was so awesome, I think we spent more time out and about b/c we didn't have to run all the way back to the rooms or really stick to time frames b/c we had access to one another!

Anyone know if Princess will offer these features!?!:D

Sounds good but I wonder if there is a privacy issue. Some people don't want others to know where they are or how to contact them.

No doubt additional features will be added. I'm sure Princess will implement them after considering all the options.

I think you could make it so you have to accept that portion. I don't really remember what the details were with RCCL but if they could offer it onboard I am sure they did their due diligence. But even messaging service would be great, anything more than the patter would be better!

Hi All

When on the Royal Princess, Princess had a lot of IT folk working on the system,

it had lots of start up issues, but they wanted to add lots of features

to the system, but might be a never ending process, adding new

features,

yours Shogun

The installation of an intranet sounds great. I will be on the Royal early next year and check it out with my droid. Any device that is capable of WiFi and has a web browser you can control will work on the ship. Why didn't they do this earlier? WiFi is not exactly a new technology.

And since avidly reading PescadoAmarillo, I have a LifeProof case and will enjoy all of the above even in a hot tub! Relaxing AND reading, that's "an important part of this complete vacation!" :D

Just now read this thread; thank you! My first thought when I read Caribill's post was, "No, it's not easier to haul around a folded Patter; I'm never without my iPhone on a ship OR at home" and then I read your post. Just watch the hot tub temperature with your iPhone (I set mine on the side of the hot tub) but it does great in the pool.

Even without the intranet you can take a pic of the paper on have it on your smart phone

That's funny because I do the exact same thing for my work schedule! I can look at my phone and know my hours for the next three weeks, even though I already know I'm working every single day from now until the end of October. I do plan on taking a day or two off then just so I can watch Royal Princess on the Fort Lauderdale LIVE cams! :D

Archived