What do you love most about NCL?

NoobCruise

We've done 2 cruises now. The first was Carnival Elation to the Mexican Riviera in an oceanview cabin. It was fun, but not the best trip and really, it was ME, not them. Mainly, I was exhausted and didn't feel well and it was quite cold and rainy and we didn't take the right clothes. I was expecting a warm tropical beachy vacation and we were bundled in sweaters in the rain on the ship. The ports were better, but still cool. We hadn't done any research beforehand though so were pretty clueless about what to see. Didn't even know what "shore excursions" were beforehand lol We did have a lot of fun, but it could have been a lot better with better planning.

Second cruise was last summer on HAL Westerdam in a suite on the aft corner with the wrap around balcony to Alaska. The suite life was pretty fun - the balcony was fabulous! This trip, I researched every detail, had everything pre-booked, with backup plans for our back-up plans. I packed right, setting my expectations for rain every day, so our mostly gorgeous sunny weather was amazing. And because of my backup plans, I wasn't even too disappointed when the one excursion I was most excited about was cancelled due to weather. It was honestly the best vacation of my life!

I'm shopping around, hoping to talk hubby into booking another cruise, and some of NCLs itineraries sound really appealing. However, I've seen a lot of NCL bashing on some of the boards. DH is a little hesitant to book them. I think the laid back informal style on NCL will probably suit us better though.

So, I know there are a lot of loyal NCL lovers out there. Tell me what you love most about this line so I can convince DH :)

I don't know that there is "one" thing I love about NCL. The entertainment, food, and customer service are great. DH and I have been on 1 RCCL, 1 Carnival, 1 HAL and 6 NCL. The HAL cruise was one of the top 2 cruises. Carnival, the bottom, and due to the ship condition, RCCL just above Carnival.

I do like the option not having to dress up and the freedom of not having assiged seating for dinner.

We love NCL because of the freestyle dining, great entertainment, and relaxed atmosphere. We also like HAL; RCCL not so much but perhaps it was the ship we were on. Give it a try and ignore the snobby comments on other boards. NCL is a good value and we continue to book because we get a great cruise experience at a reasonable price.

And, yes, planning makes a big difference!

We have sailed Carnival (once), Royal (twice), and NCL (three times). Of the three we could easily book trips on NCL or Royal. What we enjoy most with NCL is not being locked into one dining time or place. The variety of restaurants and the ability to eat "whenever" allows more flexibility with our "schedule". We find (opinion of course) the cruisers on NCL to be very active, and really like all of the different things to do on the ship. It is also nice being a bit more casual, especially when traveling with kids. Lastly, the entertainment on NCL is excellent. In our opinion, it doesn't compare with what we have experienced on Carnival or Royal. We just wish the cabins were a bit bigger (we don't stay in suites).

We love the freestyle concept. Neither of us like to be on any kind of schedule when we are on vacation (except for excursions), and NCL does that. I took a Royal Caribbean cruise and never got to eat in the main dining room because A: Id have to sit at a table with 7 other strangers, and B: because I had to eat at a certain time.

Its a good value, on good, clean mostly newer and recently refitted ships. Customer service is great and everything is on your schedule.

The difference between the mass market lines are blurring. All lines offer some form of freestyle dining, where you can eat anytime you wish. The advantage of NCL is that generally there are more dining venues, of course they mostly cost extra $$$.

As to being casual, again most lines are much more casual than in the past. Where tuxedos for men on "formal" nights were common years ago, today most men wear sport jackets without ties and some wear just shirts and slacks, basically everything goes.

I think NCL probably wins on the variety of entertainment, but again some now are at extra cost, like Cirque.

Our favorite line is Princess. For us, it finds just the right balance of service, food and entertainment.

The relaxed, casual, atmosphere. We've only cruised RCCL & NCL but the experience is completely different. Except for the pay venues, it's just wonderful not having to make a reservation for dinner. It's vacation. I don't want to worry about what time it is!

We haven't been on our first cruise yet (booked for August 2014), but when we chose NCL, we did so because of all the western mediterranean cruises at that time of year, NCL had the longest days in port. That's excluding the luxury and river cruises which were not an option for us.

What I like the most about NCL is freestyle. While other lines are trying to do something similar with regards to dining...they still don't do it as well or as extensive as NCL. The freestyle concept is also a "feeling" or "mood" that seems to make the passengers and crew seem to be friendlier and happier on NCL. To me the ambiance of NCL is just more relaxed and more fun.

More food options on NCL both included in fare and extra pay

Bowling at sea

Happy Happy Washy Washy as you enter buffet area

More relaxed options for clothing

freestyle or set dining times are no big thing either way. Shows and other entertainment are timed, so set dining time isn't a big deal

I think what you will like most is the dining freedom of time and place

Wha you will hate is probably the sense of nickle and diming especially the dining upcharges if you vary from the MDR

Don't you pay extra for specialty dining on most cruise lines? I think the only reason there's more of a sense of "nickel and diming" on NCL is that they offer more choices. The bigger the ships get, the more choices you have.

That's one of the reasons NCL appeals to me. I like having the choices.

Freestyle dining suits my husband very well. We have yet to sail on any cruise line which offers assigned dining only, besides Disney where I changed our assigned table to a two topper. He does not relish being forced to socially interact.

Beyond that, we enjoy our platinum perks most.

Hi, this is my first time on a Norwegian ship. Do they have a "must have" desert?

Out of everything on HAL, desserts are the one thing I found disappointing. I have a perpetual sweet tooth and they just weren't very good and not worth the extra calories. I hope NCL does dessert better!

What Do I Love Most About Norwegian:

This is easy in two words: THE STAFF

Considering how many different countries are represented on every cruise, how hard they work and how long most of them are away from home and their families, they are OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of everything on HAL, desserts are the one thing I found disappointing. I have a perpetual sweet tooth and they just weren't very good and not worth the extra calories. I hope NCL does dessert better!

If you might even go in a suite on NCL you will be hooked for life. The suite life on NCL is far better than any other cruiseline in my opinion. Even the cheerleaders for the other lines know it is true.....

Suite life on Norwegian is the best, and deals can be found to make the suites more accessible!!!!

Don't you pay extra for specialty dining on most cruise lines? I think the only reason there's more of a sense of "nickel and diming" on NCL is that they offer more choices. The bigger the ships get, the more choices you have.

That's one of the reasons NCL appeals to me. I like having the choices.

I would normally agree with you but as all specialty dining have up charges, however, NCL removes more things from the MDR menus and puts them in venues that have up charges. More so than any of the other cruise lines.

Only having disney to compare, loved the freestyle and yes we did eat at up charge places, but still with up charges I still paid ALOT less than disney. So many choices for food, plus more entertainment than I could get too. It honestly was one the best vacations I have had, and am planning my next ncl trip. :)

Archived