What do you love most about NCL?

NoobCruise

For me, it's the staff and crew that make NCL special. The whole laid-back freestyle vibe appeals to me and the way I like to cruise, and not just for the dining and clothing aspects.

I can imagine someone who doesn't like to have to make a lot of decisions, but likes to plan, expects a certain level of dress, and likes things kept on a tight schedule might find freestyle a difficult and perhaps unpleasant adjustment. In the end, it all depends on you and the way YOU like to cruise.

Regarding sweets, I think that's where most cruise lines fall short, and NCL is no exception. In my opinion, there's a terrific must-have sweet onboard, but you have to get up pretty early to get the chocolate croissants.

Have a great time, no matter what you decide. I always enjoy your posts on the HAL board.

ETA: I'm okay with the lowliest inside cabin, but the aft penthouses on NCL are terrific from all accounts...and can sometimes be a surprising bargain.

What I like the most about NCL is freestyle. While other lines are trying to do something similar with regards to dining...they still don't do it as well or as extensive as NCL. The freestyle concept is also a "feeling" or "mood" that seems to make the passengers and crew seem to be friendlier and happier on NCL. To me the ambiance of NCL is just more relaxed and more fun.
Wow, you have said exactly what I feel, especially the part of your statement I bolded. There is just a special and different feeling when cruising with Norwegian as opposed to the other lines we've cruised on.

We like the specialty restaurants, particularly Le Bistro and Moderno. Like the 24 hour casual dining restaurant (Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans). I enjoy the martini tastings, not only 5 martinis, but a great chance to socialize, plus they teach a little bit of history. Liked deal or no deal. My husband likes no formal night.

For the most part, we liked the staff, with a few exceptions.

Wow, you have said exactly what I feel, especially the part of your statement I bolded. There is just a special and different feeling when cruising with Norwegian as opposed to the other lines we've cruised on.

Our last two cruises were on Oasis and Allure from Royal. The ships were beautiful and certainly had many options to choose from. On both however we felt there was something missing regarding the feelings of the cruise. Our next will be on Breakaway and probably either Gem or Getaway after that. I already feel like I am "coming home" :)

I personally love the type of customers that NCL draws which really says a lot about the whole product.

No pretentiousness, go with the flow type of vacationers and really very nice and friendly people. IMO most are very respectful of others and what they want out of their own personal vacations. NCL offers enough of a variety so there is something for everyone. All walks of life and economic levels; to me it is more about everyone being able to relax and enjoy. :)

IMO the structure of other cruise lines makes people tense because of the undelivered expectations. :p

I would normally agree with you but as all specialty dining have up charges, however, NCL removes more things from the MDR menus and puts them in venues that have up charges. More so than any of the other cruise lines.

Maybe so but I still think I'm getting the best bang for my buck when I compare costs, even factoring in the cost for the up charge restaurants, which we really enjoy. I guess I just don't think of it in terms of "nickel and diming".

There are four basic reasons I like NCL. First and foremost is freestyle dining, and the relaxed dress code. NCL started it, and have perfected it, no one else does it the way they do. Next, the crew...exceptional. Third, the entertainment, outstanding. Fourth, the relaxed atmosphere. I will try other lines, but NCL is home.

We have done Carnival Glory, Disney magic, HAL Westerdam, and Norwegian Star. Although each ship had things we loved, webar far prefer Norwegian. Freestyle is perfect for us... Remember no cruise line is perfect, but I look at it this way...if you are laid back, I would bet you too will not care about the issues that others deam vacation destroyers. Headed out on 9/1 to Bermuda on the Breakaway. Cannot wait!

We like the specialty restaurants, particularly Le Bistro and Moderno. Like the 24 hour casual dining restaurant (Blue Lagoon/O'Sheehans). I enjoy the martini tastings, not only 5 martinis, but a great chance to socialize, plus they teach a little bit of history. Liked deal or no deal. My husband likes no formal night.

For the most part, we liked the staff, with a few exceptions.

Good call, almost didn't think about Martini tastings. They are a must do. We did two different ones on our NCL Pearl cruise. I've been on a lot of different cruise lines, but can't seem to remember them doing the martini tasting, although I could have missed it? For $15 a person, it is a great way to have some fun on a sea day.

Our next cruise is on RCCL simply because the calendar works in their favor for where we wanted to go. NCL is first rate, their ships are well kept, even the older ones have character. The atmosphere just seems more laid back. The crew always seem happy and willing to help. Free styling is the way to go, and the suite life on NCL really can't be beat. We've sailed Disney when the kids were smaller and they were totally into it. But now, I think that they would pick NCL over Disney.

If you might even go in a suite on NCL you will be hooked for life. The suite life on NCL is far better than any other cruiseline in my opinion. Even the cheerleaders for the other lines know it is true.....

Suite life on Norwegian is the best, and deals can be found to make the suites more accessible!!!!

Per another post above, "We are coming home!", tried Princess, RCL, Celebrity.......

The NCL Crew makes you "Happy Happy" :D

There is much more formal and casual entertainment on all of the NCL ships we have sailed on than any other - Celebrity did have some fun evenings.

Our fellow cruisers on NCL always seem more happy and less tense, a lot of friendly chit chat, and elevator jokes etc.

The main reason we need a suite in the Haven......The Lavazza Coffee, cappucing, espresso machines in every suite! :):p

Breakaway in 4 weeks - I am about to EXPLODE with anticipation!!!

I personally love the type of customers that NCL draws which really says a lot about the whole product.

No pretentiousness, go with the flow type of vacationers and really very nice and friendly people. IMO most are very respectful of others and what they want out of their own personal vacations. NCL offers enough of a variety so there is something for everyone. All walks of life and economic levels; to me it is more about everyone being able to relax and enjoy. :)

IMO the structure of other cruise lines makes people tense because of the undelivered expectations. :p

I never thought of it in those terms, but you're exactly right. The whole vibe on NCL is the total opposite of what I experienced on another cruise line last year. Even I got tense because of the "undelivered expectations", and I've haven't experienced that to any great degree on NCL.

What I like the most about NCL is freestyle. While other lines are trying to do something similar with regards to dining...they still don't do it as well or as extensive as NCL. The freestyle concept is also a "feeling" or "mood" that seems to make the passengers and crew seem to be friendlier and happier on NCL. To me the ambiance of NCL is just more relaxed and more fun.

Not sure how you can evaluate "other lines" when you've only been on one other line. Maybe the many other cruiselines do anytime dining as well as NCL and have just as friendly and happy staff and are relaxed and fun?? Just sayin' . . . . .

I just returned from my first NCL cruise and we had the best mix of passengers ever....just a very good crowd, decent happy people. It was so so nice!

I wish I can say the same about the crew. Our experience was far from them being "exceptional". We tried LeBistro and yes the service there was outstanding so I'm guessing the service in the specialty restaurants is better along with a happier and friendlier staff.

We have cruised Disney (4 times), Princess (3 times) and NCL (4 times as well). We have not had a bad cruise.

We prefer NCL because of Freestyle dining. Even with "anytime" dining on Princess, there was an expectation that you would play dress up at least one night a week, or eat in the buffet.

We love the freestyle dining! Anywhere, anytime.

The casual dress code. No coats or ties, unless you want!

Unfortunately, NCL doesn't go everywhere on our bucket list.

We'll have to go back to Celebrity or start Princess to get to Australia and New Zealand and South America.

Per another post above, "We are coming home!", tried Princess, RCL, Celebrity.......

The NCL Crew makes you "Happy Happy" :D

There is much more formal and casual entertainment on all of the NCL ships we have sailed on than any other - Celebrity did have some fun evenings.

Our fellow cruisers on NCL always seem more happy and less tense, a lot of friendly chit chat, and elevator jokes etc.

The main reason we need a suite in the Haven......The Lavazza Coffee, cappucing, espresso machines in every suite! :):p

Breakaway in 4 weeks - I am about to EXPLODE with anticipation!!!

Hi just wondering if you have your sail date wrong on your countdown clock I only noticed because I believe we sail same week sept 22 Bermuda cruise on breakaway :)just wanted to make sure you don't miss the ship:eek:

I like too many things to list. Top of the list has to be the experience you get when cruising in a suite. From the concierge to the butler to the room steward. We almost always get treated like gold. The ViP experience is well worth the money.

Please report this post to the Moderator. It's obvious someone evil and wicked has hacked into "love my Butler"'s account.

LMB would never say such kind words about NCL.

:confused:

wasiii

Sent through the air with the greatest of ease from my Galaxy Nexus.

Maybe so but I still think I'm getting the best bang for my buck when I compare costs, even factoring in the cost for the up charge restaurants, which we really enjoy. I guess I just don't think of it in terms of "nickel and diming".

If that's what you like most about cruising then by all means NCL is your number one choice. For my family, we have been on many different lines and because much of what NCL charges for is included in other lines it comes across as nickle and diming.

We have been on the exact same 12 day cruise out of New York ports on three different lines. NCL, HAL and NCL over the last 5 years. I can tell you the balcony room we had on each of those ships were about the same in price (within $100 or so). The only difference was that to eat comparable food we would have had to pay $50 to $100 (3 people) each night on NCL. That's over $1200 more on NCL. So from our point of view NCL is nickle and diming. Now that I think of it $1,200 is more than nickle and diming.

The point is, cruise where you like and if the NCL model is your favorite stay with them.

Archived