What would you like to see in a New Celebrity "X" class ?

travellink

With a lot of new ships being built, and nothing announced yet from Celebrity, what features would you like to see on their next new ship? Let's call it the "X" class! Would you like an aft pool, rear elevator bank, removal of the lawn, inside balconies, an exclusive "ship within a ship" area, zip lines, rock climbing walls, two separate main dining rooms, etc.?

I loved the concept of an Aqua Suites that had all the amenities of an Aqua Class Room (Blu, Persian Gardens) PLUS all the benefits of a Sky Suite that I experienced on Reflection. This is a must for any new cruise ship or those being refurbished.

I would like the smoking sections to be in an inside area not an open air area. I the smokers want to experience smoke--let them--but I should not have to go through smoke to get to a burger or a drink or while sitting on the deck smell smoke from above or below. Build something like airports have--closed spaces with lots of smoke and a good ventilation system.

A proper quiet yoga studio with a view of the sea opening onto outdoor space for sunrise and sunset classes outside when weather permits. That would be fab!!

Also --- more pool areas with adequate space for loungers. Similar to Princess. An tiered aft pool with a view would be GREAT!!!

Great idea for the yoga studio -- the noisy gym is NOT conducive to a proper yoga practice. It could also be used for Pilates and Tia-Chi classes -- anything where you don't want the sound of weight machines clanging in the background. :cool:

As for pools -- I love the Solarium, but you hardly ever see anyone in that boring, shallow, fresh-water pool. BRING BACK THE T-POOLS!! :D

The concept of a new ship with "new features" doesn't really turn me on. I'd like to see a return of some older features more than new concepts. For example I sorely miss the long walking/jogging path that the M class ships had before their Solsticization, the storage of the CC cabins on the M class, the wrap around outdoor promenade deck on several other lines' older ships, the additional lounge for dancing and entertainment on the M and C class ships, and the larger martini bar that used to be on the M class ships.

But even more than a new ship I'd rather see Celebrity's resources devoted to better maintaining the ships in a condition that was closer to being "like new", even if it meant longer or more frequent dry-docks where a ship was out of service. I'd also rather be sailing on an older ship with higher quality food and staff that wasn't stretched so thin than on a newer ship without these basics.

And most of all, if they do build a new class of ships, or do major renovations to existing ships, I hope they reverse the process of reducing public space in order to squeeze a few more cabins in here and there.

Have a specialty restuarant operated by Bill Knapp. Along with the discount for your age on your birthday. :D.

Well, at least they give you chocolate cake for your birthday just like Bill Knapps did!

Hmmm..... do they even still have Bill Knapps anyplace?

The concept of a new ship with "new features" doesn't really turn me on. I'd like to see a return of some older features more than new concepts. For example I sorely miss the long walking/jogging path that the M class ships had before their Solsticization, the storage of the CC cabins on the M class, the wrap around outdoor promenade deck on several other lines' older ships, the additional lounge for dancing and entertainment on the M and C class ships, and the larger martini bar that used to be on the M class ships.

But even more than a new ship I'd rather see Celebrity's resources devoted to better maintaining the ships in a condition that was closer to being "like new", even if it meant longer or more frequent dry-docks where a ship was out of service. I'd also rather be sailing on an older ship with higher quality food and staff that wasn't stretched so thin than on a newer ship without these basics.

And most of all, if they do build a new class of ships, or do major renovations to existing ships, I hope they reverse the process of reducing public space in order to squeeze a few more cabins in here and there.

Well, at least they give you chocolate cake for your birthday just like Bill Knapps did!

Hmmm..... do they even still have Bill Knapps anyplace?

I agree with all of the above!

-thalassotherapy pool

-a true promenade deck that you can walk around the ship, 360 (old school style)

-craft beer pub (I know they are bringing it to some of their ships already)

-love the yoga studio stated previously

I would love to see a return to theme nights like on cruises on days long past. Costume nights, fun stuff like that.

Rather than add more cabins to a new class of ship, I think the open space from deck 8 to 15 between the main foyer elevators should be filled in for more useable lounging, calm stretch exercising, reading, conversation and dancing space. Skip the tree on S-Class and give us more public areas to view the sea and escape the sound system around the martini bar and ground floor.

Penny

No new builds please, just put the money towards maintaining the existing fleet, replace soft furnishings & carpet more often, put new bathrooms in the M class cabins, put money towards keeping the S class ships looking brand new, & making the M class ships looking new too!

How about an M-class ship that has a greater probability to get you to your destination.

I don't know what the long term impact of the current pod issue will be. I can only guess that word of mouth from the thousands of affected passengers and their travel agents and the Cruise Critic community will be but it cannot be good for the future of Celebrity.

Considering how many successful cruises these ships have made with no problems, to write them off as problem ships that are jeopardizing Celebrity's future is a bit over reacting. All ship designs occasionally have problems. In the last couple of weeks Princess and HAL have had problems with ships, and Carnival and RCI have had their share as well in recent months. Even the newest Celebrity ship, the Reflection with a completely different pod system, had propulsion issues that caused several cruises to be shortchanged just weeks after she was launched.

It happens to all of them, even the best. If you have ever had your car break down, you have experienced unexpected equipment failure. If you are so lucky as to never had to deal with a broken down car, somewhere along the way you have had something cancelled, cut short, or changed due to a malfunction, be it your telephone service, your internet service, a power failure in your neighborhood, a flight delayed, etc. No machine is completely immune from failure, so although unfortunate for current passengers, many, many more have had excellent cruises on board M class ships, myself included with flawless cruises on Constellation and Infinity.

Contrary to what you may want to believe, the sky is not falling.

I would like the smoking sections to be in an inside area not an open air area. I the smokers want to experience smoke--let them--but I should not have to go through smoke to get to a burger or a drink or while sitting on the deck smell smoke from above or below. Build something like airports have--closed spaces with lots of smoke and a good ventilation system.

Or, to allow smokers the same mobility as non-smokers, a helmet system for smokers.

SmokingHelmet.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on this. Maybe it's just me, but with everything going on right now, I do not care to think about a new class of Celebrity ship. It's the last Celebrity item on my mind at the moment.

I agree with you Host Andy.

With a lot of new ships being built, and nothing announced yet from Celebrity, what features would you like to see on their next new ship? Let's call it the "X" class! Would you like an aft pool, rear elevator bank, removal of the lawn, inside balconies, an exclusive "ship within a ship" area, zip lines, rock climbing walls, two separate main dining rooms, etc.?

I would like a ship to move towards how sailing use to be. I don't like to go to land based destinations on a ship!

I like things/experiences that I cannot get on a land based vacation.

Nail hit firmly on the head for me. Pay less attention to the bells and whistles and bring back some of the things that made Celebrity stand out and that includes making the passenger feel special. I'm afraid there is a bit too much style over substance with Celebrity at the moment and they need to give their staff less to do so they are able to concentrate on the guest more.

Phil

a "kid free zone" like the airlines are considering...

interesting the airline that is introducing this is charging $14 pp more..worth it.. unless you are in the last row.....but shouldnt it be the other way around...those with kids pay more....since they are the ones disturbing the peace....

yeah I know, I can only dream...

Adult only ships, they can copy P&O as they are competitors when they sail from Southampton.

How about an environmentally friendly and faster propulsion system? :D

They're demonstrating one in San Fran right now. :cool:

Cruise at 35 knots, top speed today 54 mph!!!!

Emirates_America

I live in the Bay Area and have gone to the Embarcadero to watch a couple of these races. Absolutely amazing how fast these boats are, and how close to shore they race. One leg of the race takes them past Pier 39, which is filled with restaurants and shops, but has a nice viewing area at the end of the pier. These America's Cup boats pass quite close by and in a flash they are gone.

mqx8bu-b781151443z.120130802133539000gvj1f5tlg.1.jpg

It happens to all of them, even the best. If you have ever had your car break down, you have experienced unexpected equipment failure..

I like the M-class ships. If I had a car that needed an engine replaced every other year, I think I had a lemon on my hands.

I believe that Constellation has not experienced a pod failure. It seems that Millennium has been plagued with this issue again and again.

http://www.ebearing.com/news2004/092101.htm

In 2004: "Celebrity's Millennium ship has had more than ten pod drive related failures since its launch in 2000. Celebrity's most recent pod drive problem was with its Infinity cruise ship, back in drydock in March 2004 for its third set of replacement bearings."

With a lot of new ships being built, and nothing announced yet from Celebrity, what features would you like to see on their next new ship? Let's call it the "X" class!

Would you like an aft pool - yes, of course

rear elevator bank - yes, of course

removal of the lawn - yes, of course

inside balconies - no

an exclusive "ship within a ship" area - never, this is a cheap "third world concept of luxury"

zip lines - no

rock climbing walls - no

two separate main dining rooms -no

etc.?

Proper promenade deck

Proper afternoon tea

Hydro pool in spa

The simplest way to improve Celebrity - look at Cunard, HAL, Princess and RCI (ship planning and balconies) and add what is missing on Celebrity.

I will be the first to book a cruise on such a ship.

I like the M-class ships. If I had a car that needed an engine replaced every other year, I think I had a lemon on my hands.

These are bearing failures, not engine failures, so your analogy is not very appropriate. It's more like having to replace the oil pump every other year. However, I do agree that there have been more than the usual amount of problems with this ship. Unfortunately, unless they dry dock it for a complete redesign and replacement of the pod units, Celebrity can't be blamed for a recognized and documented design deficiency of a component purchased from another manufacturer. Do you accept the blame every time something you bought fails, or blame the manufacturer of the component for selling you a bum product?

In hindsight, after all the revenue lost due to this problem, biting the bullet and replacing the pods with someone else's might have been more cost effective if done early on. But, as far as I know, even Celebrity hasn't mastered looking into a crystal ball and seeing what problems will repeat themselves in the future to be able to make that decision.

Archived