Transatlantic in December 2014

rayandshirl

My husband and I love sea days and arriving early at ports prior to cruising to explore on our own.

Princess has a "special" on a December 2014 from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale.

Has anyone braved the Atlantic in early December before?

My husband and I love sea days and arriving early at ports prior to cruising to explore on our own.

Princess has a "special" on a December 2014 from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale.

Has anyone braved the Atlantic in early December before?

Can you share what the special is?

I have to apologize. The cruise is from Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. We were talking about flying to Venice and taking the train from there.

It's called the Renaissance Passage on the Ocean Princess that departs on December 1st.

The small size of the ship also appeals to us.

Either Pacific or Ocean Princess has done this sailing at the same time each of the past few years. No reports of any issues with a small R-class (700 pax) on the open Atlantic.

I did a similar itinerary (Venice-Ft Lauderdale) on the Queen Victoria two years ago, but about two weeks earlier. Only rough seas were on the night we transitioned from the Adriatic to the Med sailing around the "boot" of Italy. Weather on the consecutive sea days was pleasant but hardly tropical; remember that you will be sailing on some of the shortest days of the year.

You say you love both port days and sea days. If a cruise with the former clustered together at the start followed by a string of the latter before disembarkation sounds good to you, then this is a great itinerary.

We did a TA on the Crown in December 2012 and had very rough seas. It did not bother us at all, but did a lot of people. The weather was very cool for the most part. We would do it again in a heartbeat! We made lifelong friends on that journey!

We sailed on the Crown last December from Venice & it was no problem. As I recall temperatures began in the 60s as we sailed from Western Europe to low 80s the day before arriving at Ft. Lauderdale on 12/19.

We did a TA on the Crown in December 2012 and had very rough seas. It did not bother us at all, but did a lot of people. The weather was very cool for the most part. We would do it again in a heartbeat! We made lifelong friends on that journey!

Crossing on a large ship at this time of year can be a totally different experience. OP is questioning a crossing on the Ocean or Pacific; a 30,000 ton ship.

Crossing on a large ship at this time of year can be a totally different experience. OP is questioning a crossing on the Ocean or Pacific; a 30,000 ton ship.

This is one of the reasons I like you.You give sensible logical answers:)

At any time of year on any size ship the experience depends on the weather where you are at the time you are there.

We took one TA where the seas were so smooth you could not even tell the ship was at sea and moving while inside. The Captain said that another Princess ship two days ahead of us on the same path had heavy seas and winds for much of the trip.

I want to thank everyone for their helpful responses.

I know from sailing from SF and LA to Hawaii and back, the ocean can be calm or wild.

I do appreciate all of you for providing insight for us to consider on this cruise. Thanks again.

Archived