Smoking?

Luau lady

What is ACC in our last sentence? :confused:

Thanks.

We were speaking with several folks while on Veendam who recently sailed Azamara and, in their opinion, the food quality/presentation had dropped considerably. I heard that same from a few posters who sail HAL and come to this forum. They cancelled a future booking they had on Azamara but, of course, just their viewpoint.

[/b]

ACC is short form for Azamara Club Cruises.

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't noticed concerns on the Member Reviews Forum nor, as I mentioned in our own experience.

Onviously that doesn't encompass all assessments.

We no longer cruise Celebrity not because of their smoking policy (my husband and I are smokers) but because of the conditions of the area where we were allowed to smoke. We do understand that we are dinosaurs regarding this issue but the fact remains that smoking is NOT illegal. If the cruise line says no smoking in staterooms, we follow their policy. If the cruise line says no smoking on balconies we follow their policy. Until all smoking is outlawed and cruise lines prohibit smoking anywhere we will cruise and follow the rules.

The problem we have with Celebrity is that they allowed us to smoke in an outside area that had broken and filthy deck chairs and ashtrays were seldom emptied. This area had been designated as an allowed smoking area. No rules were being broken.

We were following the rules and yet the area that was allotted to us was horrible and like no other area on the ship. We felt that because we smoked even though we followed all the rules Celebrity had required us to they had decided that smokers were second class citizens and they would not give us an area to smoke that was on par with the rest of the ship.

We know we will be flamed because we are smokers but please remember that it is not illegal and we always follow cruise line policies but it is important to us to tell our side of the story.

In addition, if the cruise line allows smoking in certain area (which are getting smaller all the time) why are we treated so badly? We are not breaking any rules. We do realize that you non smokers are pushing to get all cruise lines smoke free. We do find it interesting that at this time there are no smoke free cruise lines. We are dealing with a world wide cruising base and many people in other parts of this world find smoking perfectly acceptable.

For all of you non-smokers I suggest that you petition the cruise lines to ask for smoke free cruises so you can sail without your air being polluted. This is probably going to get us flamed more than anything, so be it.

I don't see any reason for you to be flamed. I'm a non-smoker, and I believe - along with many other posters on this board - that smokers should have a decent, well-ventilated and enclosed space on the ship when the weather is too bad to go to the outside smoking area. I'm surprised that Celebrity has not provided a more pleasant space for you.

We no longer cruise Celebrity not because of their smoking policy (my husband and I are smokers) but because of the conditions of the area where we were allowed to smoke. We do understand that we are dinosaurs regarding this issue but the fact remains that smoking is NOT illegal. If the cruise line says no smoking in staterooms, we follow their policy. If the cruise line says no smoking on balconies we follow their policy. Until all smoking is outlawed and cruise lines prohibit smoking anywhere we will cruise and follow the rules.

The problem we have with Celebrity is that they allowed us to smoke in an outside area that had broken and filthy deck chairs and ashtrays were seldom emptied. This area had been designated as an allowed smoking area. No rules were being broken.

We were following the rules and yet the area that was allotted to us was horrible and like no other area on the ship. We felt that because we smoked even though we followed all the rules Celebrity had required us to they had decided that smokers were second class citizens and they would not give us an area to smoke that was on par with the rest of the ship.

We know we will be flamed because we are smokers but please remember that it is not illegal and we always follow cruise line policies but it is important to us to tell our side of the story.

In addition, if the cruise line allows smoking in certain area (which are getting smaller all the time) why are we treated so badly? We are not breaking any rules. We do realize that you non smokers are pushing to get all cruise lines smoke free. We do find it interesting that at this time there are no smoke free cruise lines. We are dealing with a world wide cruising base and many people in other parts of this world find smoking perfectly acceptable.

For all of you non-smokers I suggest that you petition the cruise lines to ask for smoke free cruises so you can sail without your air being polluted. This is probably going to get us flamed more than anything, so be it.

No flame from me, just wondering if you brought the problem to anyone's attention while you were on the ship? If you did, and didn't get any improvement in the situation, I would have taken several photos and sent them off to the company HQ.

I don't see any reason for you to be flamed. I'm a non-smoker, and I believe - along with many other posters on this board - that smokers should have a decent, well-ventilated and enclosed space on the ship when the weather is too bad to go to the outside smoking area. I'm surprised that Celebrity has not provided a more pleasant space for you.

I agree with you Startwin.........the smokers need a pleasant and SAFE place to smoke.

On Celebirity, it was back in the spring of 2010 the only area we were aware of that we could smoke was that area off to the side (port or starboard) can't remember, it was outside and not only were chairs dirty and broken, there were no where near enough.

This is also one of the reasons we are now speaking out. We believe that most smokers have become the very silent majority and are afraid to speak out. We feel as long as we are not doing anything illegal we need to be heard as well and our rights protected.

And that is never going to happen. I think we are way past the pleasant compromising stage. I think the cruiselines would like to see the smokers disappear, so that the complaints from non smokers will stop.

And that is never going to happen. I think we are way past the pleasant compromising stage. I think the cruiselines would like to see the smokers disappear, so that the complaints from non smokers will stop.

If that were true, all the cruise lines would have to do is make a rule that no tobacco products were allowed on their ships. Period!

If that were true, all the cruise lines would have to do is make a rule that no tobacco products were allowed on their ships. Period!

and which ever number is right 18%, 20% or 22% (depends upon the country whether here or in Europe and then it gets greater) that will cut out a lot of potential cruisers. I don't think any cruise line can afford to cut out that percentage of the market place.

I might be wrong ( I often am) but no one cuts out a big percentage of their market - sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but it's a simple fact of life (or business)

I think they just want smokers to get so fed up with their allotted smoking area, that they will voluntarily stop booking cruises. If the number gets low enough, they don't even have to ban smoking.

We believe that most smokers have become the very silent majority and are afraid to speak out. We feel as long as we are not doing anything illegal we need to be heard as well and our rights protected.

A silent majority? With less than 20% of people smoking in the US? I went to a public school, but I am sure less than 20% is not any where near a majority.

You mentioned in a previous post in other countries smoking was widely accepted. As I see many countries are adapting restrictions similar to US restrictions, I am not sure you realize smoking is not as popular worldwide as you think. More popular than in the US, definitely. But below historical highs of popularity, I am sure.

We will no longer book a balcony cabin on HAL because of their smoking policy. We paid quite a bit more for a balcony on the Nieuw Amstredam and could not use it due to a 300lb American gentleman that had a never ending supply of cigars and a desire to never leave his balcony. Apparently people without an addiction have no right to expect clean air to breath. Maybe someone should start up a new cruise line where everyone with a nicotine addiction can get together and smoke to their hearts content without sharing their filthy habit with everyone else.

Archived