new Ruby Princess balcony furniture

psujmatt

Just back from the Ruby a few days ago. We noticed that the furniture on the port side Dolphin deck balconies was being replaced slowly through out the cruise. The new chairs are darker, almost navy blue and the metal supports are silver/gray. We were on Aloha deck so we couldn't tell if there was any change to comfort or functionality. It did not seem that they were replacing tables at this time. Anyone know any more details?

Well, so much for Princess claiming that they would go back to the old style of furniture after being inundated with complaints.

They put a bigger table on the Caribe balconies. They thought people were complaining about the tiny table they originally put out. At that point, none of us really knew just how uncomfortable the chairs were.

Too bad. I enjoyed the comfortable older furniture when I was on the Ruby in January. The first pictures shows the old furniture. Second picture is the new uncomfortable furniture that I had on another ship. Why is Princess doing this?

Thanks for posting the pics. Not sure I'm liking those high back chairs. What a shame.

Princess has been slowly replacing the balcony furniture for at least a year and a half that I know of. For me, the new chairs are rock hard and so uncomfortable I doubt I'll book another balcony. :(

I ended up using bed pillows to make them more comfortable.

Too bad. I enjoyed the comfortable older furniture when I was on the Ruby in January. The first pictures shows the old furniture. Second picture is the new uncomfortable furniture that I had on another ship. Why is Princess doing this?

The new chairs look like the new lounge chairs they habe up on deck 15, i guess its the same supplier. I must admit they do have a more modern look, but if they are uncomftable whats the point. I rember the older padded loungers they used to have at the muts pool, as soon as you sat up they would fly up and hit you in the back. You do wonder who orders these things and do they ever test them out.

I didn't measure them either, but they do seem narrower to me.

Yes they are more narrow with a straigt back. They feel like airline seats in the cheap section of the plane. Since Princess carries a lot of seniors who's backs are not as ram straight as in their youth, these seats are a pain in the back and butt :mad: The devil in me believes they got these chairs to accomedate the more narrow balconies on the Regal and Royal, and make sure you spend more time in the Piazza spending money than on your balcony.I am not to happy with what is going on, they also removed the balcony rubber matts. On my last cruises I was forced to put up with icky rusty blue painted dirty looking balcony floors.:eek: never beeing able to walk barefoot on the balcony deck. 27 cruises with Princess,but it is not the same anymore:cool:

I think the Grand Princess is the only ship that doesn't have the blue mat on the balcony. They were removed when it had the major drydock and were never replaced.

I, too, think they don't want you spending time on your balcony and would rather have you out spending money elsewhere on the ship.

I think the Grand Princess is the only ship that doesn't have the blue mat on the balcony. They were removed when it had the major drydock and were never replaced.

I, too, think they don't want you spending time on your balcony and would rather have you out spending money elsewhere on the ship.

Gee, with my luck I will be on the ONLY ship that had the balcony matts removed. :confused: DH does not want to fly anymore,so I am stuck leaving from S.F. port to which we can drive. Complaining about cruising to Hawaii again,there are lots of people who would give their "right arm" to be able to do this, me thinks I AM SPOILED. Shame on me, I will not complain again but be thankful to be able to cruise twice a year :p

P.S. Princess please,please return the matts to the Grand LOL

I have been on the Princess and was told by staff that they will be adding matts on the balconies in December when they go into dry dock for 10 days. I'll be on the Grand after the dry dock and will report as to what I see.

Tom:)

Gee, with my luck I will be on the ONLY ship that had the balcony matts removed. :confused: DH does not want to fly anymore,so I am stuck leaving from S.F. port to which we can drive. Complaining about cruising to Hawaii again,there are lots of people who would give their "right arm" to be able to do this, me thinks I AM SPOILED. Shame on me, I will not complain again but be thankful to be able to cruise twice a year :p

P.S. Princess please,please return the matts to the Grand LOL

Great point and attitude. I'll have to remind myself of that when I'm wishing for different balcony furniture. Now I should check on inflatable seat cushions!

I could not get comfortable in the new chairs no matter what I tried. Like a lot of designer stuff, pretty but not practical.

If they are trying to get me to spend more on board by making the balcony unusable, (or tiny, like on the Royal) it won't work. It will just drive us to other lines.

On the Golden this winter they were changing a lot of the Lido deck tables and chairs too. I don't think we tried them, but they looked cheap and uncomfortable.

The new chairs were more comfortable for me & I was able to spend more time comfortably. I had my inflatable seat cushion that I use on a flight but didn't need it.

I understand that many hate them but for some of us it's more comfortable. ;)

I am always cynical to Princess motives to onboard revenue generation, the Cabanas on the Royal being the ultimate in bad taste, however i find it hard to beleive that somewhere at Princess hq a group of people decided to make a decision to buy uncomftable seating to keep passegers off there balconys.

i noticed that there was a skip full of patio furniture next to the ship one day whilst in port, Kusadsi if i remember correctly. Check out Turkish ebay for used Princess deck chairs:D

When criticism comes in the form of humour the point is doubly made. A good morning laugh for which I thank you.

The bean counter who ordered this furniture should have to sit on one of those chairs at his/her desk.

I do think it's important to express how we feel about this type of change, though. I'm sure they'd never have started upgrading mattresses if people never complained about them.

Archived