Oatmeal on the Summit

CruisinCadie

Hoping someone out there will be able to help me with this, or maybe someone sailing to Canada/New England next week will check.

We're on the Oct. 5 sailing to Canada/New England, and, as the mornings get cooler, I enjoy a bowl of nice warm oatmeal for breakfast. I also know that cafeteria oatmeal (okay, buffet) tends to get gloppy after it's set awhile. So where am I most likely to find oatmeal that's not the consistency of paste? AquaSpa? MDR? Or possibly even the buffet?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hoping someone out there will be able to help me with this, or maybe someone sailing to Canada/New England next week will check.

We're on the Oct. 5 sailing to Canada/New England, and, as the mornings get cooler, I enjoy a bowl of nice warm oatmeal for breakfast. I also know that cafeteria oatmeal (okay, buffet) tends to get gloppy after it's set awhile. So where am I most likely to find oatmeal that's not the consistency of paste? AquaSpa? MDR? Or possibly even the buffet?

Thanks,

Kathy

I always get my oatmeal in the buffet. I usually don't eat in the MDR for breakfast. The oatmeal has never been gloppy. However, there seems to be a fair amount of milk added to it.

I think that it depends on when it gets set out. Most of the food on the buffet will have a time limit and if it is not consumed it is removed. If it is down to the bottom it will be like paste.

Best bet is to try all the different places where it is served and choose the one that suits you. Chances are it will constantly change depending on how long it has been setting.

You may have the best results at the AQ cafe as the passengers that use that area tend to be after the healthier lighter foods and it will be replenished more often than the buffet because not many people at the buffet take oatmeal.

So where am I most likely to find oatmeal that's not the consistency of paste?

We have always had excellent oatmeal delivered by room service. Sounds like from the suggestions given so far, you should have no problem locating it!

I've had oatmeal from room service, AquaSpa Cafe, and buffet. It has all been good. The buffet has a larger variety off toppings. I believe on the M-class ships the toppings were with the cereal dispensers in the buffet on our last cruise. There were some limited toppings in the AquaSpa Cafe as well. Enjoy your cruise!

The Muesilli in Blu is made tableside....I love breakfast in Blu. Can't say if it is pre-prepared in the MDR since we have always sailed in Aqua

It is pre-prepared in the buffet. The tableside preparation (which is wonderful) is unique to Blu. I've always found the muesli in the buffet to be very good.

I had some apple cider oatmeal in the Aqua Spa Café on the Solstice a few weeks ago that was made to order. It was very nice, had chunks of apple in it...

Ooh, apple cider oatmeal sounds yummy!

Thanks to everyone who answered. It sounds like I will have multiple options.

Kathy

Thanks,

Kathy

I'm on the next sailing (this weekend). I'll try to remember to check it out. I like oatmeal, too, but I hate it when it's "porridge-like" or presweetened. I'm back on the 21st. If you don't hear from me, bump this thread up!

:D Just bring packets of instant oatmeal and add hot water :D

(Don't flame me ... CruisinCadie has known me all of my life so I think she'll take this comment in the correct spirit)

DD,

Ah, but can I find truly HOT water? :D

Mom

(Note to everyone else, that was a rhetorical question. We don't need this thread to turn into one discussing where to find hot water on the ship. The water in the cabin faucet is usually hot enough to make oatmeal.)

I'm on the next sailing (this weekend). I'll try to remember to check it out. I like oatmeal, too, but I hate it when it's "porridge-like" or presweetened. I'm back on the 21st. If you don't hear from me, bump this thread up!

Thanks for the offer. Hopefully, I won't be so distracted by packing myself that I'll forget to bump.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I remembered to do this... but I just got home today from my 14 night Summit cruise. I tried the oatmeal twice for you!!! First time was room service and the second time was at the buffet. All I can say is... DISGUSTING. I couldn't eat either. I added salt. I added sweetener. I added milk. I added brown sugar. I added nuts. They cook it with absolutely no salt. It's bland... like eating wallpaper paste. My mom asked me why I was eating it AGAIN after I tried it once (she saw me gag). I told her it was in the name of research... and a promise I made. LOL

So... In MY HUMBLE OPINION... Summit's oatmeal isn't fit for pig swill. I saw plenty of people eating it, so YMMW. I won't try it again for anyone! :)

Oh, Wow, I can't believe you remembered to do this either! Thanks for the sacrifice, and the warning. You've earned major points in the name of scientific research.

Kathy

ROTFL! Glad to help!

Maybe next time you could ask me about... the ice cream. Or... the vodka. I'd be willing to taste test those for you! In the name of scientific research, of course. ;)

I can't believe I remembered to do this... but I just got home today from my 14 night Summit cruise. I tried the oatmeal twice for you!!! First time was room service and the second time was at the buffet. All I can say is... DISGUSTING. I couldn't eat either. I added salt. I added sweetener. I added milk. I added brown sugar. I added nuts. They cook it with absolutely no salt. It's bland... like eating wallpaper paste. My mom asked me why I was eating it AGAIN after I tried it once (she saw me gag). I told her it was in the name of research... and a promise I made. LOL

So... In MY HUMBLE OPINION... Summit's oatmeal isn't fit for pig swill. I saw plenty of people eating it, so YMMW. I won't try it again for anyone! :)

Thanks for coming back with your report. Try the muesli next time. :D

Archived