Amsterdam Airport and customs

teeoc79

We are traveling from LA to Venice and transferring in Amsterdam from our LA flight to our Venice Flight. Will we have to go through Customs in Amsterdam?

Immigration [people]: YES in AMS

Customs [goods]: NO, you'll do it in VCE

For Immigration purposes any countries within the Schengen Agreement share the same external border; and Schengen pretty much encompasses all of mainland Europe these days. The experience of transiting from The Netherlands to Italy isn't much different than going from Oregon to California.

Immigration [people]: YES in AMS

Customs [goods]: NO, you'll do it in VCE

For Immigration purposes any countries within the Schengen Agreement share the same external border; and Schengen pretty much encompasses all of mainland Europe these days. The experience of transiting from The Netherlands to Italy isn't much different than going from Oregon to California.

Thanks! Just to clarify, When we get to Amsterdam, we will have to go thru Immigration to transfer from our flight from LA to our flight to Venice? What are the queues like? Does it take very long? A member of our party is mobility impared and it will take a while for us to commute from gate to gate. The customs in Venice, do you mean when we arrive in Venice or when we depart for the states?

Thanks! Just to clarify, When we get to Amsterdam, we will have to go thru Immigration to transfer from our flight from LA to our flight to Venice? What are the queues like? Does it take very long? A member of our party is mobility impared and it will take a while for us to commute from gate to gate.
My suggestion is to first go to the Schiphol website and download a copy of the terminal map. Your extra-Schengen flight will arrive in the area of the higher lettered piers. Your intra-Schengen flight will depart from the area served by A-D . Pier D is actually both intra and extra.

You'll note how they indicate a barrier between the two areas. That's where you will pass through a passport check and a security screening.

As for what the queue will be like -- it varies completely. However, the staff is quite good at keeping things moving. They also have a "short connection" line that is sometimes open. However DO NOT take that line if you don't meet the time limitation they announce - for example, if you have 40 minutes left, don't take it if they want folks with 30 or under. They have been known to send people back out of the line if they don't meet the "short" definition.

AMS is a large airport, so you will not want to dawdle if time is an issue.

The customs in Venice, do you mean when we arrive in Venice or when we depart for the states?
On arrival at VCE. Red Lane/Green Lane arrangement.

Thanks! Just to clarify, When we get to Amsterdam, we will have to go thru Immigration to transfer from our flight from LA to our flight to Venice? What are the queues like? Does it take very long? A member of our party is mobility impared and it will take a while for us to commute from gate to gate. The customs in Venice, do you mean when we arrive in Venice or when we depart for the states?

Since the distance between gates is sometimes long why not ask your airline for assistance for your friend. The person will be picked up by cart and doesnot need to walk that much.

I know there is duty free shopping at the AMS ariport.

have a four hour layover on Delta before boarding KLM flight to IST.

will I be able to purchase two bottles of wins and bring it in my carry on for the KLM flight to IST?

We have private tranfers when we land directly to the ship.

i know, it all about getting my two bottles of wine on board before we sail the evening of the next day.:)

will I be able to purchase two bottles of wins and bring it in my carry on for the KLM flight to IST?

You will be staying in the extra-Schengen part of the airport. Plenty of duy-free shopping for you, since you are coming from out of the EU and departing to a non-EU destination.

Go to the Schiphol site and you will get plenty of info. Also, since you have four hours, be sure to stop in at the museum. It's located on "Holland Boulevard", between the E and F piers. Definitely worth the visit, IMO. Plus, the website gives a bunch of other things to do with your connection time.

Just remember....the area to the "right" of the D pier (lower letters) is the intra-Schengen section of the airport. They put a thin dotted red line on the maps (which really, IMO, should be much more pronounced) showing the dividing line between the two parts. Unless connecting to a flight within Schengen, you don't go into that area. That's where the Schengen passport control is for connecting flights.

OTOH, for those making connections from outside Schengen to a Schengen destination, you need to go through that control point (and security) to reach your gates. And vice versa for flights back to the USA et al from within.

And, just to make things a bit confusing for all.....Pier D is both intra and extra Schengen! They do this by having the intra-Schengen gates on the second level and number them D59 and higher. Accessible only from the intra side of the barrier. But they use the same tarmac and ground facilities as the gate one level below. They just adjust the jet bridge to accommodate both sets of gates with one hardstand.

• 4 weeks later...

We are connecting in Atlanta GA USA from our overseas flight to our domestic flight home and I found out that we will literally have to pick up our luggage from a carousel and lug them thru customs and immigration and then check them back into the airline on the US side. Will this happen in Amsterdam as we transfer from our flight from the US to our flight from Amsterdam to our european destination? If we check our check on bags all the way thru to our final destination, will we see them in Amsterdam and have to do this, or, if we do this, will it only be for our carry-ons?

We are connecting in Atlanta GA USA from our overseas flight to our domestic flight home and I found out that we will literally have to pick up our luggage from a carousel and lug them thru customs and immigration and then check them back into the airline on the US side. Will this happen in Amsterdam as we transfer from our flight from the US to our flight from Amsterdam to our european destination? If we check our check on bags all the way thru to our final destination, will we see them in Amsterdam and have to do this, or, if we do this, will it only be for our carry-ons?

In Atlanta after immigration you will proceed to the luggage carousel for your flight and put your checked bags on one of the free luggage carts. Then you pass through the nearby customs checkpoint (usually just a wave through) and follow the sign for connecting passengers. Just follow the crowd to the luggage belt and attendants will handle the bags for you. As always, double check that your bags are tagged correctly. You may place any large, liquid duty free purchases (single malt, anyone?) inside your checked bag during this time.

In Amsterdam you will not see your checked bags. They will be waiting for you at your final destination. Also in AMS, you will pass through additional security screening at the gate -- the liquid, gel, etc. carry-on restrictions still apply.

You will see your bags at your final destination. Just make sure they are tagged to your final destination when you check in at your starting airport when you leave especially if you are using multiple airlines. As long at the airlines are in the same alliance it should be fine (Delta/KLLM or American/British Airways for example) but just double check when the agent puts the tag on when you leave from your home airport.

We are connecting in Atlanta GA USA from our overseas flight to our domestic flight home and I found out that we will literally have to pick up our luggage from a carousel and lug them thru customs and immigration and then check them back into the airline on the US side.
This is not as cumbersome as you may think. At ATL, you'll process through immigration, then head to a dedicated baggage area with many carousels. You will take your bags off the belt, then pass through customs. They will process your customs declaration form (the blue one) and you then go out a one-way door. On the other side, there will be a dedicated area where you will hand over your bags (which should already be tagged with your final destination). Easy. And, at ATL, there are free carts for your bags, unlike Delta's JFK T4 where the carts are $5.
Will this happen in Amsterdam as we transfer from our flight from the US to our flight from Amsterdam to our european destination? If we check our check on bags all the way thru to our final destination, will we see them in Amsterdam and have to do this, or, if we do this, will it only be for our carry-ons?
Assuming you are going to a Schengen country, you will do a passport check (immigration) at AMS. You will not handle your checked luggage. At your final destination, you will go through customs - most likely a red lane/green lane setup.

• 1 year later...

I was searching for info for my upcoming flight and ran across this old thread.

Just to make sure I've got it right;

I'm flying from ATL-AMS-VCE on Delta, changing to KLM at AMS. I'd like to purchase a couple of bottles of booze for our trip. If I understand correctly I need to do this at AMS after we've gone back through security?

If I understand correctly the prices will be higher than standard duty free, but if I bought it in ATL or on the plane it would be confiscated at AMS?

We won't need to collect our luggage at AMS?

Immigration will be at AMS but customs will be at VCE?

Thanks

I remember the airport as being very large and very bright and shiny. For your party member with mobility issues, I would order a wheel chair meet from the very beginning. Flat but long halls.

I'm flying from ATL-AMS-VCE on Delta, changing to KLM at AMS. I'd like to purchase a couple of bottles of booze for our trip. If I understand correctly I need to do this at AMS after we've gone back through security?

If I understand correctly the prices will be higher than standard duty free, but if I bought it in ATL or on the plane it would be confiscated at AMS?

It will be safer to buy at AMS after security. I don't know what the rules are at AMS for liquids bought in a duty free shop in the US and sealed into a STEB. At LHR you would be fine, but AMS may have different rules - so if you want to avoid any risk, then buy at AMS. But you may find more information about this on the AMS website.
We won't need to collect our luggage at AMS?

Immigration will be at AMS but customs will be at VCE?

Your bags should be through-checked - check your receipt before you leave the check-in counter to make sure that they've been tagged on the correct flights and dates (which you should always do anyway).

And the immigration/customs position is basically correct, subject only to any last-minute changes caused by the current migrant problems.

I remember the airport as being very large and very bright and shiny. For your party member with mobility issues, I would order a wheel chair meet from the very beginning. Flat but long halls.
As teeoc79 posted their question over two years ago, I suspect that their trip has long been completed.