London Heathrow Carry On Size

Sargent_Schultz

I see listed on the LHR site:

Only two items of hand baggage may be taken through security control, and they must be no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). Items larger than this must be checked in as hold luggage – you can check your bag size using the gauges at check-in.

How strict is security in enforcing that or is it at the discretion of the airline?

Thanks!

As I posted on another thread-- I was agonizing over my 22" carry on that actually measures 23".

My husband took this Costco carry on suitcases to our San Diego airport a week or so ago. It fit inside the measuring frame which was 3 sided. He spoke with American rep who said that our 22" suitcases would be just fine to carry on our British Airways flight as long as we don't open the expansion zipper. They also said that British Airways measurements are actually more lenient than American's--50 linear inches instead of 45. The reps assured him that if the luggage was OK'd on the first leg of the trip, it would be approved for the whole trip. We will see next week:)

I find that the rules are enforced like this - if you have no airline status they are enforced, if you have a low level of status they are sometimes enforced - if you have high level status (or in business class) they are not really enforced.

Today I took 2 flights with KLM in Europe with a bag that is larger than their dimensions, however as an elite sky team member it was no problem to carry it on the plane (the bag meets US regs).

However I am always aware that some agent may make me check my bag while in Europe at any given time. Just have have to be prepared for it when it happens. In these cases I only have them check the bag to the next airport, and I collect it at baggage claim, go back thru security and try to carry it on again. This only works with long connections though.

Hope that helps.

Karen

The information posted on the website is primarily as a security notice to help avoid further delays at security and also to cut down on the amount of luggage being carted around in the airside shops & restaurants.

The acceptance or otherwise of carry on bags is at the sole discretion of individual airlines.

If you are referring to a Delta departure from LHR back to the Lower 48, I highly recommend 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If you have ff status (Gold, Platinum or Diamond), Global Entry or a kindred clearance, and have done online check in, have your seats, and use the kiosk then 2 hours should work.

If you are referring to a Delta departure from LHR back to the Lower 48, I highly recommend 2 1/2 to 3 hours. If you have ff status (Gold, Platinum or Diamond), Global Entry or a kindred clearance, and have done online check in, have your seats, and use the kiosk then 2 hours should work.

Thank you. Yeah, I already knew I didn't trust the 2 hour time.

The only real status on Delta is one of their credit cards and it is a FF ticket. Biz class going but Cattle returning. I did pay for the upgraded seats. Between all of that I think some kind of priority boarding, but I doubt it will mean anything at security.

We should arrive at LHR about 3.5 hours +/- before takeoff.

I'm going to forget my roller bag and take a more squishable, backpack type thing. I'm sure if I sit on it I can get it to fit into any measuring device they might have.

The information posted on the website is primarily as a security notice to help avoid further delays at security and also to cut down on the amount of luggage being carted around in the airside shops & restaurants.

The acceptance or otherwise of carry on bags is at the sole discretion of individual airlines.

The security people will always have the last word if they will let you through or not - I was sent back to check-in by security in London City as I had one carry on bag and one purse because this exceeded the 1 bag policy. Around the corner I then squeezed purse into the larger bag and went back.

The security people will always have the last word if they will let you through or not - I was sent back to check-in by security in London City as I had one carry on bag and one purse because this exceeded the 1 bag policy. Around the corner I then squeezed purse into the larger bag and went back.

Then security must know the rules for every airline and they must also take the time to check which airline everyone is flying with. BA has a 1 bag + purse policy so with BA, that's no problem.

I see listed on the LHR site:

Only two items of hand baggage may be taken through security control, and they must be no larger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). Items larger than this must be checked in as hold luggage – you can check your bag size using the gauges at check-in.

How strict is security in enforcing that or is it at the discretion of the airline?

Thanks!

They are not very strict. We have never been asked to measure our carryon and my wifes carryon is a little too big but since it's a little soft, it will fit the "box" they have on the airports but we have never been asked to show that it's small enough.

Sometimes it IS up to Security to determine what they will allow. Remember our 3-1-1 "Kippie bag"? There have been times where Security will ramp up and clamp down on what is allowed on flights. LHR had the deal awhile ago where they allowed very little due to security threats.

So, it is really a double-layered issue - what the airline allows and what Security will allow. No amount of whining that "BA said I could have 2 bags" will help if Security says only one small item.... just be prepared to adjust if you need to.

Does anyone know if LHR security counts medical equipment, such as an FAA approved portable oxygen concentrator (POC) with batteries and a CPAP machine, as a carry-on? United does not count medical required equipment as a personal carry-on, which means, according to United's policy, we are still allowed 2 carry-ons per person as long as they are within the maximum dimensions. Our largest carry-on measures ~23" high counting the wheels and handle. Will this fit in the carry-on measuring box at LHR?

In addition, besides 2 carry-ons per person, United allows a personal item such as a lab top or purse. According to LHR security, they count the latter items as a carry-on. So I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions? What might help is we are flying LHR to SFO on United Business First Class.

Bob

United does not count medical required equipment as a personal carry-on, which means, according to United's policy, we are still allowed 2 carry-ons per person as long as they are within the maximum dimensions.

When did United ever allow 2 carry-ons/person? This is the only carry-on policy I can find for United, clearly stating 1 carry-on/person.

When did United ever allow 2 carry-ons/person? This is the only carry-on policy I can find for United, clearly stating 1 carry-on/person.

You are right...don't know what I was thinking. It is 1 carry-on and 1 personal item. My real concern is does LHR security count medical equipment as carry-on. United does not.

Global Entry is a program administered by the US CBP. As such, it won't offer any advantage at all upon check-in at LHR.

The only real status on Delta is one of their credit cards and it is a FF ticket. Biz class going but Cattle returning. I did pay for the upgraded seats. Between all of that I think some kind of priority boarding, but I doubt it will mean anything at security.

That it is a FF ticket means nothing as far as any sort of boarding priority. Biz class going over will give you access to Sky Priority lines at check in and security at ATL, as well as true priority boarding. Since your return flight is in coach, you won't have those advantages at check in or security, but having the Delta Amex card will make you eligible for Zone 1 "priority" boarding. Mind you, Zone 1 comes AFTER pre-boards, 1st/biz class, and Sky Zone (gold/plat/diamond medallions.)

Sometimes it IS up to Security to determine what they will allow. Remember our 3-1-1 "Kippie bag"? There have been times where Security will ramp up and clamp down on what is allowed on flights. LHR had the deal awhile ago where they allowed very little due to security threats.

So, it is really a double-layered issue - what the airline allows and what Security will allow. No amount of whining that "BA said I could have 2 bags" will help if Security says only one small item.... just be prepared to adjust if you need to.

I's not a security issue if they say that your personal item must be placed in the carryon at security. You can take it out after security and when you board, BA let you have your carryon and your personal item.

I's not a security issue if they say that your personal item must be placed in the carryon at security. You can take it out after security and when you board, BA let you have your carryon and your personal item.

It was a security issue - there was a high alert going on at the time I flew and only 1 carry on item per person (and which included e.g. purses, loose cameras, etc - to be fitted into their measuring grid) was allowed through security check, no matter what airline rules were and despite me flying business class with high mileage priority status. Security did not say I had to place it in the carryon, they said "no more than 1 - the 2nd carry on item has to be checked in". I went back and found I could still squeeze 2nd bag (purse) into 1st (lap top bag) and that they did not see or did not care. And certainly I took it out again after security. However colleagues travelling with me that could not fit everything in 1 bag had to go back to check-in.

I am not saying this happens all the time, but I have been flying to/from London (Heathrow / City) for work at least biweekly and had every possible variation already - even British Air limiting carry on to ca 18 pounds on inter-European flights, despite their on-line higher carry on allowance. I just wanted to point out that they (airlines and/or security) sometimes make the rules as "flavor of the day", depending on circumstances and there is nothing the passenger can do, except to be prepared to rearrange carry ons. The more you protest, the more difficult they will be.

It was a security issue - there was a high alert going on at the time I flew and only 1 carry on item per person (and which included e.g. purses, loose cameras, etc - to be fitted into their measuring grid) was allowed through security check, no matter what airline rules were and despite me flying business class with high mileage priority status. Security did not say I had to place it in the carryon, they said "no more than 1 - the 2nd carry on item has to be checked in". I went back and found I could still squeeze 2nd bag (purse) into 1st (lap top bag) and that they did not see or did not care. And certainly I took it out again after security. However colleagues travelling with me that could not fit everything in 1 bag had to go back to check-in.

I am not saying this happens all the time, but I have been flying to/from London (Heathrow / City) for work at least biweekly and had every possible variation already - even British Air limiting carry on to ca 18 pounds on inter-European flights, despite their on-line higher carry on allowance. I just wanted to point out that they (airlines and/or security) sometimes make the rules as "flavor of the day", depending on circumstances and there is nothing the passenger can do, except to be prepared to rearrange carry ons. The more you protest, the more difficult they will be.

It was an issue with the people working at the security because they said that the personal item must be placed in the carryon. If it had been a real safety issue, they shouldn't allow people to take all their things through security.

I have long ago and United does not count medical equipment as carry-on. I have heard horror stories about TSA restrictions at LHR despite airline policies.

Well then, as the TSA, being US-based, has no jurisdiction over LHR, you should be good to go! :D

Seriously, if you want additional reassurance/information, I would try contacting the airport via one of the methods listed on their website.

Archived