Book early or late? Or does it matter?

scdreamer

We cruised on Oceania about six or seven years ago and loved the line - and I can't remember how the fare pricing goes. On other lines we have been on, the fares seem to change - especially after final payment has been made. It's somewhat frustrating to see a fare go way down from what one has paid earlier. Of course, I know it can go up, too, so it's a gamble to wait if the cruise is one that we really want.

We are going to be retiring in the upcoming year, so we will be more flexible and able to take advantage of last minute deals. I just don't know if Oceania fares tend to change as the sail date gets closer. I do understand if one chooses to wait, the cabins may be sold out.

Right now we have our eye on a Sept 2014 itinerary - would we be wise to hold off or book early? Or does it make any difference?

We cruised on Oceania about six or seven years ago and loved the line - and I can't remember how the fare pricing goes. On other lines we have been on, the fares seem to change - especially after final payment has been made. It's somewhat frustrating to see a fare go way down from what one has paid earlier. Of course, I know it can go up, too, so it's a gamble to wait if the cruise is one that we really want.

We are going to be retiring in the upcoming year, so we will be more flexible and able to take advantage of last minute deals. I just don't know if Oceania fares tend to change as the sail date gets closer. I do understand if one chooses to wait, the cabins may be sold out.

Right now we have our eye on a Sept 2014 itinerary - would we be wise to hold off or book early? Or does it make any difference?

Book as early as you can in order to get the Stateroom that you really want.

We used one of those high volume "no service but the cheapest online price" Agencies fifteen years ago and because we travel a lot they still send us quotes. It's never more than $50 cheaper than the VERY full service Agent which we are using now.

We booked the Barcelona to Rio cruise for this November at least 18 months ago. I have just checked the price for the same category cabin and we have saved about $425 each. However, this cruise was showing as sold out a while ago. Lots of people must have booked then cancelled, we don't tend to do this in the UK as we would lose our deposit altogether. We like to have a good choice of cabins, half the fun is choosing, so tend to book ahead.

I'm sure it also depends on the sailing, and how well it is selling. Add perks to make it a bit more enticing, take away perks as it books up.

We booked our October, 2014 sailing in May, 2013, because we liked the itinerary, and we felt the offer was fair and in line with what we wanted to pay. We were able to get the cabin we wanted, and received several perks.

In looking at the same sailing today, one of those perks offered in May is no longer being offered. Other than that, everything else is the same. That could change again, with other perks being added or subtracted as load factors change.

I'll not bother with that, because I'm happy with what we paid, with the perks we received, and with our cabin.

We always book the same cabin-inside front of ship, across from suites, so we book well in advance, to get the cabin we like. I am one that loves a dark cabin, no windows plus always the cheapest on the ship and they go fast-6011 on Nautica this time, usually a 10-11 number front of ship.

Oceania and Azamara as they have the same deck plan on the smaller ships. More expensive than other cruise lines but always first class and always worth it! :D

It is not a mass market..gotta fill them up (princess, Holland, Royal Carribe) cut rate prices on cut rate ships... But as they say, you will get what you pay for Ever see big Mercedes or Porsche sales advertised?....enough said.

From experience they do not lower or do last min pricing.

On the contrary, as others have mentioned, they start cutting perks as it gets closer to sailing time. The next cruise I am on which I booked last year, started with Included Gratuities , $49 liquor package and 50% off deposit and a $300 onboard credit.

Today they are not offering the gratuities, the deposit is regular rate, The liquor rate is going to $59, and the cruise fare has risen $250pp and no credit !!! All in all that's about $1000pp increase over what I booked...$2000 in increases..

As Jim and Stan said, go with a GOOD agent and you will save more than any on line discount who can play a smoke and mirrors game

I have contacted 2 big luxury cruise agents and they can provide on board credit and gratuities...but not always for every sailing. And they do not reduce the price. Is it just me that doesn't see the benefit of using an agent?

Oceania has the YWOS promotion going on right now. I booked a sailing for 2014 and received pre-paid gratuities, free unlimited internet and shipboard credit...that is a very good deal. The agent would not be able to give a lower price...only probably slightly more shipboard credit...but that is never guaranteed.

Am I just calling the wrong people?

Thanks!

i have contacted 2 big luxury cruise agents and they can provide on board credit and gratuities...but not always for every sailing. And they do not reduce the price. Is it just me that doesn't see the benefit of using an agent?

Oceania has the ywos promotion going on right now. I booked a sailing for 2014 and received pre-paid gratuities, free unlimited internet and shipboard credit...that is a very good deal. The agent would not be able to give a lower price...only probably slightly more shipboard credit...but that is never guaranteed.

Am i just calling the wrong people?

Thanks!

yes!

I have contacted 2 big luxury cruise agents and they can provide on board credit and gratuities...but not always for every sailing. And they do not reduce the price. Is it just me that doesn't see the benefit of using an agent?

Oceania has the YWOS promotion going on right now. I booked a sailing for 2014 and received pre-paid gratuities, free unlimited internet and shipboard credit...that is a very good deal. The agent would not be able to give a lower price...only probably slightly more shipboard credit...but that is never guaranteed.

Thanks!

When a Oceania promotion is run, you receive it whether you book directly or through a TA. It has been our experience that TA's with experience in premium and luxury cruising never reduce the price. Instead, they can give up to 5% cash back on your cruise, pre-pay gratuities and sometimes onboard credit.

A good TA will look out for you. As great as Oceania is, their agents sell what needs to be sold -- even if the stateroom is not in the best area of the ship. Your TA will insure that you have the best price possible and the best location possible on the ship.

Thanks!

And I found a great agent.... who makes it very much worth my while to never again book on my own. Many agents will not only give you gratuities and all the perks and still slice of a good% off the price as well 5 to 10% is many times offered.

In many cases Oceaina provides the free perks to the agent for no cost to them . The agent can then act as if he was giving you a deal when in fact he is selling you full retail price and makes full commission..

find a new agent who is willing to deal.. when your buying cruises in the $20 to K30K fare range you need to negotiate

Find the right TA. I recently booked, got all the perks you mentioned and an additional 6-7% of the cruise fare in OBC from our TA. Not the most I could have gotten, probably, but I know this TA is honest, will do whatever I need quickly, gives advice when I need and is ready to help in a pinch. There's value in that!

If you want to forego the additional OBC by booking with O directly, that's up to you, but I'm happy with that $ in my pocket - gives me more to spend aboard for drinks, spa, tours, etc.

Book as early as you can in order to get the Stateroom that you really want.

We used one of those high volume "no service but the cheapest online price" Agencies fifteen years ago and because we travel a lot they still send us quotes. It's never more than $50 cheaper than the VERY full service Agent which we are using now.

Guys - would you be so kind as to email me at corpkid at gmail dot com, please? I have a question I don't think I can ask here. By the way, your advice, etc. was spot on and we are now officially in love with Oceania! We just kept telling each other "seriously, why did we do anything else?" FANTASTIC and the Baltic Odyssey was just wonderful and we had nothing but sunshine and mid 70's for 3 weeks straight now! We are quite sad to go home in 2 days, but there's always the next (which is a Jaques Pépin cruise on Marina). :D

Tak! LOL

One cruiser stated that she gets 5% max back from her agent. That is 1/2 or less than the 10% plus we get back plus all the OBC's gratuitie's, etc.

Sorry cannot provide my TA's name, against CC policy to name a TA, provide an e-mail address or ask people to e-mail you for the TA.

And, you simply don'r specifically need a "luxury TA expert". We get all we need, want, and more from out great TA who does know Regent, Oceania and other Luxury lines. In fact, he is on Regent's advisory board and the 10% rebate is the minimum we get. With the size of fares these days, 10% or more in your pocket is simply great!!!

One cruiser stated that she gets 5% max back from her agent. That is 1/2 or less than the 10% plus we get back plus all the OBC's gratuitie's, etc.

Sorry cannot provide my TA's name, against CC policy to name a TA, provide an e-mail address or ask people to e-mail you for the TA.

And, you simply don'r specifically need a "luxury TA expert". We get all we need, want, and more from out great TA who does know Regent, Oceania and other Luxury lines. In fact, he is on Regent's advisory board and the 10% rebate is the minimum we get. With the size of fares these days, 10% or more in your pocket is simply great!!!

All that you do, by relaying that type of information, is to help to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Carnival & Co are in the process of reducing TA commissions in Europe to a level where nobody will be able to rebate anything to anybody and stay in business.

Talk of commission givebacks only makes it more likely that the same will happen here.

10% off what? Surely not the gross price of the cruise.

Do you know that there are so many things nowadays that are not commissionable that it hardly pays to be a TA anymore, at least not for Oceania, unless you do a LOT of Oceania or perhaps if the the TA belongs to a consortium that gets a large amount back.

But 10% off what?

So, are you saying you get a 10% "rebate", it's a 10% rebate on the total cruise price?? Like you get $1000 back from the TA on a $10,000 cruise??? Plus you get Grats, OBC and such.

I know some online TA who give about 6% of the cruise price in OBC, but never a "rebate"..

If this is actually true, there has to be a way we (and the TA) can benefit by know who these great TA's are..

OK, I have NE

It's 10% of the comissionable amount and it is really true. Also, TA is part of a consortium with additional benefits on specific cruises. Even the poster who gets the 5% which she believes is the most available gets 5% of the comissionable amount.

This discussion has occurred in the past and you could certainly find information that by searching the boards and for cheaper cruises. This issue has naysayers based on recent Oceania and Regent policies regarding limitations of rebates but, nothing that my TA does violates those policies.

It's 10% of the comissionable amount and it is really true. Also, TA is part of a consortium with additional benefits on specific cruises. Even the poster who gets the 5% which she believes is the most available gets 5% of the comissionable amount.

This discussion has occurred in the past and you could certainly find information that by searching the boards and for cheaper cruises. This issue has naysayers based on recent Oceania and Regent policies regarding limitations of rebates but, nothing that my TA does violates those policies.

I am not a naysayer, but am glad for you.. I would like to find one of these TA's for myself, that's all!!

Dave is very correct/

It is not that hard to find an agent who will be your friend in this matter

It help to be booking regularly with him and establish a relation and history over some time.

To it helps to also book cruises which are longer and more expensive say over about $15,000, per cruise Not many want the help with the 10 to 14 day short cruises but get into the 21 day + and doors can open.

To an agent having a regular customer who books cruises regularly in the mid range 5 figure each, is one who he will want to please.

It takes time and trust for the both of you. You can't just walk in the door and ask for the consideration an agent/agency gives to its top clients. It is the same with airlines.... show loyalty and show then the money !

You need to establish yourself in the eyes of others

Dave is very correct/

It is not that hard to find an agent who will be your friend in this matter

It help to be booking regularly with him and establish a relation and history over some time.

To it helps to also book cruises which are longer and more expensive say over about $15,000, per cruise Not many want the help with the 10 to 14 day short cruises but get into the 21 day + and doors can open.

To an agent having a regular customer who books cruises regularly in the mid range 5 figure each, is one who he will want to please.

It takes time and trust for the both of you. You can't just walk in the door and ask for the consideration an agent/agency gives to its top clients. It is the same with airlines.... show loyalty and show then the money !

You need to establish yourself in the eyes of others

Well, guess I'm not the right type client.

I don't book 5 figure cruises. I barely book low 4 figure cruises!

But what I do, do, is all the "legwork" myself. After booking, and then final payment, I can honestly say I have had probably one email or phone call with a question in all the cruises I have taken. I would consider myself a very low/no maintainance client. I had an agent that I booked 4 cruises with, and did receive small OB, and grats.

I have a new agent now that belongs to a "consortium" and my first Oceania booking with them, I received about a 1.5 % OBC. If that was too little, how would I know that?

I know of an agency that gives about a 6% OBC, but they don't handle Oceania (but they do Regent).

Archived