Are you now a cruise line harlot after years of loyalty? What ship made you stray?

cruisecritiquer

stop.gif

So if you're coming into this thread, you're probably a cruise line harlot or you're thinking about becoming one. :mad: You just hop from the bed of one cruise line to another without even thinking about the consequences. :rolleyes:

KIDDING!

I'm just curious. I see a lot of threads where people will ask "who is better"...NCL or RCI....NCL or CCL...or whatever...etc. etc. etc. It usually results in a little catfight.gif

I can understand wanting to make your first cruise ever or perhaps in several decades the best possible but all of those threads seem moot since opinions about the various lines are so subjective so with all the blah.gif going on...I rarely get any real useful information out of them regarding the comparison of the different lines. People who post on one Board more than any other are likely to have some type of preference even if the preference is strictly subjective opinions and not based upon any basis in reality. :)

So anyway...for those of you who USED to be loyal and faithful to your brand:

1. What was your brand?
  2. What was the cruise line/ship that made you stray?
  3. What were your expectations going in?
  4. What about the cruise line/ship made you decide to try them out?
  5. Do you continue to ship hop?

I'm not loyal to any cruise line, BTW, I do lean towards a certain cruise line but I'm open to any great vacation land or sea.

Eight years ago, I started with Royal Caribbean, because I got a good deal. I went by myself (dh had just died :(). I liked it, and then took my kids (young ones) on a couple more.

We were going to be in Orlando and I saw a cheap deal for Carnival, so we took that cruise. Hated it.

Went back to Royal Caribbean, this time to Alaska.

Got a great deal on a DCL Med cruise.

Couple more Royal Caribbean cruises.

Got a great deal on a Princess Alaska cruise.

Got a great deal on a HAL Med cruise.

Got a great deal on a HAL Antarctica cruise.

As you can see, I'm a bargain hunter. That makes me a cruise line harlot. :eek:

But, I have a bucket list and look for cruises that can let me satisfy that. I'm 50, a widow, and in a few years when the kids are grown, I won't be able to drag someone on a cruise, because I decided that's where we're going. So, I'm looking to finish my bucket list sooner rather than later.

We've loved all the cruises, but (currently) like HAL best even though my kids are two teens and an 8 year old. We have a cruise booked on Quantum of the Seas, because I can drive to it, it's a new ship, it's got a family junior suite with two bathrooms, the price wasn't too bad, and did I mention it's a new ship? Woohoo!:D

Recently, someone asked the difference between a few main stream cruise lines. I replied that they're all basically the same. What heresy! They all float, have staterooms with a bath, have an auditorium, lounges, bars, shore excursions, buffet, MDR, specialty restaurants, kids clubs etc. I haven't been to the Caribbean in 3 years. I won't be back any time soon (My QOS goes to the Bahamas). We cruise for the destination. The ship is secondary (there I go with the heretical statement again!)

Recently, someone asked the difference between a few main stream cruise lines. I replied that they're all basically the same. What heresy! They all float, have staterooms with a bath, have an auditorium, lounges, bars, shore excursions, buffet, MDR, specialty restaurants, kids clubs etc. I haven't been to the Caribbean in 3 years. I won't be back any time soon (My QOS goes to the Bahamas). We cruise for the destination. The ship is secondary (there I go with the heretical statement again!)

I think we're sisters!! We feel the same way. I have no allegiance to any particular line. We sail mainly for the ports. Yes, we have certain preferences for ship amenities. Yes, we have enjoyed some ships more than others. But until I've run out of new itineraries, cruise lines, or ships to try, I see no need to tie myself down. I don't think we're harlots- just playing the field.;)

There is enough similarity among mass market lines to make sticking with just one an exercise in pig-headedness. Even with the benefits of "loyalty programs", sticking with one makes no sense to me. While I prefer HAL for service, comfort of accommodations, generally good quality food and ambience, I will sail Celebrity or Princess for the right itinerary; Royal Caribbean maybe -but less likely because of over-sized ships. Carnival - maybe again, depending on itinerary and size of ship. NCL - probably never again, because of service and ambience.

I'm another harlot...Another bargain hunter. Sure, I'll book a bunch of cruises on one line to get some of the bennies, such as free laundry/internet, but for the most part, I book for itinerary or price. The only cruise I have ever booked just for the ship was the QE2. We now have a 3 day cruise booked in Divina, just to see what the line (in the US) is like. EM

I am not a cruiseline loyalist-never have been-21 cruises and 7 lines and I have never gone on the same line more than twice in a roll. My first cruise was on Carnival, second cruise RCI. Neither of those were my favorite cruise BTW, so I am glad I kept checking out other lines

Harlot? how ridiculous? Doe you sometimes buy Crest instead of Colgate? Starbucks coffee instead of MacDonalds? Eat Mexican instead of Italian? Fly Delta instead of American? stay at Holiday Inn instead of Hilton? did you consider yourself a harlot? How ridiculous you are-these lines are businesses you know.

BTW I check cruises by 1) itinerary 2) Price and 3) line.

I'm another harlot...Another bargain hunter. Sure, I'll book a bunch of cruises on one line to get some of the bennies, such as free laundry/internet, but for the most part, I book for itinerary or price. The only cruise I have ever booked just for the ship was the QE2. We now have a 3 day cruise booked in Divina, just to see what the line (in the US) is like. EM

I do too but I am not a harlot-that is good business in my mind.

I think we're sisters!! We feel the same way. I have no allegiance to any particular line. We sail mainly for the ports. Yes, we have certain preferences for ship amenities. Yes, we have enjoyed some ships more than others. But until I've run out of new itineraries, cruise lines, or ships to try, I see no need to tie myself down. I don't think we're harlots- just playing the field.;)

Lol! but some want flow riders, amusement parks and ice rinks with their cruise. I do not understand that, any good resort city already has all of that, so why cruise. I am not saying I do not enjoy those features if I am on a ship with that, I am just saying that is not why I pick a certain cruise.

We've been on all the mainstream lines. Do not like Carnival, but went last year as a fund raiser for a charity in our area. Only line I would not go on again is NCL. Princess has a good product, but on our last cruise, they had changed their wine policy and no longer had wine sommeliers. I know all mainstream lines did the same, but it was a mess on Princess. We like very good (expensive) red wines. We had to buy the bottle in the wine bar, insist on the proper glasses and then carry the bottle and wine glasses into the MDR and thenRETURN the glasses to the wine bar. Ridiculous! We now stick to Royal or Celebrity. We can order our wine of choice in the wine bar or MDR and get the proper wine glass. We may have to speak with the DR supervisor or manager the first night, and its done every nite, with our tall glasses waiting for us each night.

Works for us.

Margee

For those of you who have missed that this is tongue in cheek and that i'm not really calling you a harlot...well...I'm not really calling you a harlot. :)

That made me laugh. yeah, I got that the first time.:cool: Now if we were talking about the 2 single ladies at our MDR table on our last cruise.... the ones who seemed to find a new 'friend' every evening...

That made me laugh. yeah, I got that the first time.:cool: Now if we were talking about the 2 single ladies at our MDR table on our last cruise.... the ones who seemed to find a new 'friend' every evening...

Yep I knew what was meant too-but I don't like the term, I find it derogatory-using one business instead of another is hardly harlotry. Whether you say harlot or whore we know what the term means don't we?

Over the years, after starting with RCCL, we have split between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, with occasional dalliances with other lines. For years, before and after they merged, we felt they were neck and neck on amenities and loyalty program, but RCI has dropped further and further behind with food I would expect from Carnival and an almost non-existent loyalty program. Just got off the Explorer and the Diamond members were pretty consistent in their dissatisfaction. This was mostly at breakfast, as almost none of the Diamond members went to happy hour to beg for a cup of peanuts.

We started in 2001 on Celebrity (Century) and did that ship 2x in a row. Went to RCI (Grandeur of the Seas) for 1 cruise, back to Celebrity (Mercury) for Alaska and have now done 3 Carnival (4th on Legend in Nov :D)

We do more Carnival now than any others because we can cruise right out of Tampa (only 45 minutes away) and because the price always seems to be right ;). I honestly don't feel like there was a big enough difference between Carnival and RCI to warrant the increase in the fare cost. Celebrity was great and we'd cruise them again if it was the right price and itinerary.

And if this makes me a harlot...so be it!! LOL and to the poster who is clearly taking this way too seriously...relax and enjoy a joke once in a while :p

What was your brand?

1. What was the cruise line/ship that made you stray?
  2. What were your expectations going in?
  3. What about the cruise line/ship made you decide to try them out?
  4. Do you continue to ship hop?

No secret, my favorite brand is RCI. but it's not just because of any sort of brand loyalty. It's also because of trial and error on 4 different cruise lines.

Three ships made me stray. Celebrity Solstice was the first. It met expectations and frankly, I though it was awesome. As such, I am a big fan of Celebrity now as well.

With NCL, great prices on the Sky and a great itinerary on the Dawn made me stray. Unfortunately, they fell way short of expectations and I walked away very disappointed. I really wish it was better, but it wasn't.

HAL's new ship, Nieuw Amsterdam enticed me to stray in Europe. It fell a little short of expectations. I knew it would be a sleepier ship, but it was even more boring than I anticipated. My take away was, HAL just isn't for me....at least, not for the next 20 or 30 years.

I will continue to ship hop, but RCI and Celebrity will be my first 2 choices, not because I give a crap about loyalty, but because their products are most to my liking so far.

Guest fyree39

I was a Carnival loyalist until one too many 3-day cruises out of Long Beach. This particular cruise was full of drunks, the loud, obnoxious kind. I came home from that cruise and immediately started looking at Princess. We have two upcoming cruises on that line starting next year.

Not Loyal to any particular cruise line. What cruise line I choose at the time is dependent on many variables such as :

• Itinerary
  • Cost
  • Ease and cost of getting to/from embarkation/disembarkation port
  • On board features are of particular interest if the ship is my my primary destination

Not only are we not a loyalist to one brand, but we really do not understand why anyone would be a loyalist. The cruise industry is always changing and so are the cruise lines in terms of itinerary, cost, quality, and ships. We have cruised on more then 65 different ships of 12 cruise lines and loved them all! By limiting yourself to one or 2 lines you are simply reducing your options. And varying your cruise line is fun because you get totally different shows, lines, menus, etc. As to frequent cruiser amenities, they do matter but are not a deal breaker for us. We are currently Diamond with RCI, Elite with Princess, Elite with Celebrity, 4 Star Mariners with HA and a few others. Of the entire lot....Celebrity does offer the best treatment to its frequent cruisers and HA probably has the worst. For those Carnival fans, we have taken 3 cruises on Carnival and they were fine. But the line holds little interest to us because of its demographics and so-so itineraries. At this point in our lives we prefer to leave the hairy chest contests to others :)

Hank

My point is we know what the term means and it is not that. As far as the other that is only my husband's business and since I am a little long int he tooth even by "cougar" standards unless some fool wants a golden girl I doubt they would be interested.

as far as cruiselines, they are businesses and most people shop around for the best value, enjoyment, or for some other reason. Even if they love a certain line they will try another occasionally if for no other reason than an unique itinerary that their favorite line does not offer.

And I think that's perfectly fine! I am not suggesting anyone should do otherwise. :)

Archived