vegetarian meals on cruise lines

Jazzyjoy

A few months ago we had a long discussion with the Sous Chef on a Celebrity ship and some of our conversation was about vegetarians. The Chef told us that vegetarians drive him nuts because it sometimes seems that each vegetarian has their own idea of what it means and what they can or will eat. We understand some of this because DD is what I like to call a partial vegetarian which means she is just a picky eater who says she is a vegetarian but makes many food exceptions.

So getting back to your son, he will do fine in the buffets. But in the MDR he will either have to live with the offerings (which are quite limited if he is picky) or he can talk with the maitre'd about trying to get some dishes prepared just for him. In some cases they would talk to him every evening about what he would want the following evening and perhaps they would actually provide what he wants.

Bottom line is that on a ship where they prepare thousands of meals, and there are many folks who have various needs, you take your chances. The priority for special meals are for those with serious allergies where it can be life or death if they get the wrong products. As to vegetarian's, they are simply making a choice and have to live with that choice (or make compromises).

Hank

A few months ago we had a long discussion with the Sous Chef on a Celebrity ship and some of our conversation was about vegetarians. The Chef told us that vegetarians drive him nuts because it sometimes seems that each vegetarian has their own idea of what it means and what they can or will eat. We understand some of this because DD is what I like to call a partial vegetarian which means she is just a picky eater who says she is a vegetarian but makes many food exceptions.

So getting back to your son, he will do fine in the buffets. But in the MDR he will either have to live with the offerings (which are quite limited if he is picky) or he can talk with the maitre'd about trying to get some dishes prepared just for him. In some cases they would talk to him every evening about what he would want the following evening and perhaps they would actually provide what he wants.

Bottom line is that on a ship where they prepare thousands of meals, and there are many folks who have various needs, you take your chances. The priority for special meals are for those with serious allergies where it can be life or death if they get the wrong products. As to vegetarian's, they are simply making a choice and have to live with that choice (or make compromises).

Hank

It irritates me to no end when people claim to have various dietary restrictions and can't even use the correct terms to describe them.

There are only two types of vegetarians. Ovo-Lacto (or ovo or lacto) and vegan. Any other (ie a vegetarian but eats fish) is NOT a vegetarian. Some vegetarians are due to personal choice, others are for medical reasons. Personally speaking, if I let them know in advance about my dietary needs, I expect my diet to be met, without fail and without excuses.

I do have to confess one thing though. I am extremely allergic to mollusks. My last reaction was anaphylactic and very scary. When I travel I tell them I'm allergic to shellfish, even though I can eat shrimp, crab, etc. The reason is that many kitchens can't understand the difference and I'd rather err on the side of caution. I don't tell them that and then order shrimp though...

Chances are that they will be cross contamination in whatever it is. They do not have special pans to cook vegetarian and there animal fat will most likely be in almost every dish.

They have this stuff called soap and water...

Hi all, I'm taking my adult children on a cruise to Alaska (7/14) on the Golden Princess. My son is a vegeratrian...do you have any helpful information about meals?

there will always be a few items on the nightly menu. the buffets can also accommodate a vegetarian( but not necessarily vegan)

I've posted this on other threads, but I thought it might be helpful, so reposting here. Although it happens not to mention Princess, I'm pretty confident that it will basically apply to most cruise lines (I'm a vegan but this should work fine for vegetarians, too :D):

I've had great success as a vegan on Celebrity, Royal, and Carnival.

Here's what you need to do, in order to be very well fed on any cruise line:

- Before your cruise, contact your cruise line's special needs department, and let them know you are a vegetarian (or vegan). Most lines ask that you notify them 30-60 days in advance, but I've given less notice for a last-minute booking. If you used a travel agent, then they can make this contact for you.

- On the day of embarkation, meet with the maitre d'. He or she should have your name on a special list, and will let you know how they will be taking care of you. On Celebrity, I was told that they had already selected the first night's meal for me, and that I would be brought a vegetarian menu to order the next night's dinner for each subsequent night; on Carnival I was brought the regular menu for the next night and the asst maitre d reviewed it with me, letting me know which items could be prepared vegan; Royal kind of winged it- the maitre d asked me what kind of food I liked, and they prepared a special dinner each night based on my preferences. (I like Carnival's method best, because I ate similar food to my table mate's each night, and I felt I had a nice set of choices for each course. Carnival also offered to show me lunch menus in case I wanted to have lunch in the dining room.)

- Anytime you eat at the buffets- for any meal- identify yourself as a vegan to either the maitre d on duty or to any of the station chefs, and ask what you can eat. On every line, I found the chefs practically tripping over themselves to make me something special! Between that and the salad bar (where there is usually at least one bean dish) and fruit selections (where you can also find nuts), I had more than plenty to eat. I was on the Carnival Breeze Trans Atlantic in November, and found the chefs at almost all the stations vegan knowledgeable and friendly, and they usually took out clean cutting boards and knives before I had a chance to ask them to. (Note that at the Mongolian grill, you should ask them to sauté your selection in water, as otherwise they use broth; also only the soy sauce is vegetarian.)

Also- don't assume that a station will have nothing that matches your diet. I had a great sandwich prepared for me at Carnival's deli: a thick giabatta stuffed with all sorts of fresh and pickled vegetables. And, of course, the pizzeria will be happy to prepare a cheeseless pizza topped with vegetables.

- My usual breakfast is fruit and nuts, but on a cruise I treat myself to bread and sometimes peanut butter or jelly. The chefs were happy to tell me which breads were vegan.

In addition to being vegan, I also prefer to avoid sugar and excess fats, and those needs have always been met. I have a standing request to start each meal with a plate of cut vegetables -I ask for tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and olives, but you could ask for any favorites (this is in addition to my appetizer), and to end it with melon and berries.

I've been served all sorts of great appetizers and entrees, from Greek to Chinese to Italian to Middle Eastern to Indian- and even American. I've been urged to let the chef prepare a dessert for me, but, except for an occasional baked apple, I prefer to end my meal with fresh fruit.

I know I sound like a cheerleader, but what I'm really trying to say is that with some pre-cruise preparation, and a bit of creativity (and ingenuity) during the cruise, you'll find that the maitre d and the chefs really want to see that you are contentedly well fed - and they are happy to make sure you are.

HTH!

Ruth

Hank

Well, Hank, as you can see from my previous post, I've had very positive experiences on my cruises, with all the food service staff doing everything they can to see that I am contentedly well fed. As plant based diets gain in popularity, I've found that the chefs have become more aware of vegetarian and vegan dietary requirements, and their recipe repertoire has grown. While it may still take a bit of ingenuity and perseverance, those following special diets should be able to have dining success, especially if you can provide some simple specific suggestions- and do it with a nice smile :)

BTW- at no time have I been made to feel that I was inconveniencing the kitchen or dining staff in any way. My requests were respected, anticipated, and met eagerly and very, very pleasantly. The only 'complaint' I ever got was a wish that I would allow them to prepare even more food for me!

Edited by happy trailer

These are from a July 2013 Emerald Princess cruise but the menus should be the same.

There are vegetarian, not vegan, options on the menu everyday.

Though I am not a vegetarian I have almost always been happy with any vegie meal I have ordered onboard.

FWIW At times I have even ordered two appetizers as my main for the evening.

They have this stuff called soap and water...

What does that have to do with my comment? Have you been to an omelet station where they wash the pan between uses?

You are not serious to think that restaurants (including cruise ship) wash a pan between every use? They fry a steak and then go on and fry your vegetables in the same pan.

What does that have to do with my comment? Have you been to an omelet station where they wash the pan between uses?

You are not serious to think that restaurants (including cruise ship) wash a pan between every use? They fry a steak and then go on and fry your vegetables in the same pan.

They will wash them between use to avoid cross-contamination as necessary. I have life-threatening allergies and can verify this for a fact.

Well, Hank, as you can see from my previous post, I've had very positive experiences on my cruises, with all the food service staff doing everything they can to see that I am contentedly well fed. As plant based diets gain in popularity, I've found that the chefs have become more aware of vegetarian and vegan dietary requirements, and their recipe repertoire has grown. While it may still take a bit of ingenuity and perseverance, those following special diets should be able to have dining success, especially if you can provide some simple specific suggestions- and do it with a nice smile :)

BTW- at no time have I been made to feel that I was inconveniencing the kitchen or dining staff in any way. My requests were respected, anticipated, and met eagerly and very, very pleasantly. The only 'complaint' I ever got was a wish that I would allow them to prepare even more food for me!

Did not mean to insult you in any way. But one has to only look at a place like Wikipedia which lists 10 different varieties of vegetarianism and 4 other things they classify as semi-vegetarianism. Lets add to that all the folks with serious allergies to things such as seafood, shell fish, lactose, peanuts, sodium, etc etc. Every one of those folks goes on a cruise and expects to be fully accommodated. When a chef hears that somebody is gluten intolerant they know what that means. When they hear of a peanut allergy they know what it means. If somebody is a vegan they know what that means. But when they say they are "vegetarian" is means many different things to different folks.

As I said, we raised a "vegetarian" for nearly 20 years and we still do not know what she will eat or not eat (seems to change from month to month)

Hank

Did not mean to insult you in any way. But one has to only look at a place like Wikipedia which lists 10 different varieties of vegetarianism and 4 other things they classify as semi-vegetarianism. Lets add to that all the folks with serious allergies to things such as seafood, shell fish, lactose, peanuts, sodium, etc etc. Every one of those folks goes on a cruise and expects to be fully accommodated. When a chef hears that somebody is gluten intolerant they know what that means. When they hear of a peanut allergy they know what it means. If somebody is a vegan they know what that means. But when they say they are "vegetarian" is means many different things to different folks.

As I said, we raised a "vegetarian" for nearly 20 years and we still do not know what she will eat or not eat (seems to change from month to month)

Hank

Wikipedia actually defines vegetarianism quite succinctly:

"Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal; it may also include abstention from by-products of animal slaughter."

I explain it in an even simpler way:

'Vegetarians don't eat anything with a face. Vegans don't eat anything that comes from something with a face."

With respect, let's face it, Hank: It sounds like you've raised more of a picky eater than a vegetarian- and the sort of changeable dining quirks she has are precisely the thing that you say make chefs groan. All of the various vegetarians that you sighed about on Wikipedia are actually well known and considered mainstream- even airlines have selections available for preorder that meet the needs of each of them. (BTW, caution should be taken when consulting Wikipedia as it is not always a reliable source. For example, a macrobiotic diet is not vegetarian.)

I can understand a chef issuing a groan when a request comes in stipulating a long list of things a diner will or cannot eat, but I think you'll find in general that diners who truly follow a vegetarian or vegan diet are fairly easy to please; it's the picky eaters who arbitrarily declare themselves vegetarians who make things difficult for the chef- and for those of us who are sincerely committed to our dietary choices.

LOL, you are picking and choosing what you want to see. Here is a short excerpt from Wilipedia:

Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.

Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.

Ovo-lacto vegetarianism (or lacto-ovo vegetarianism) includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey

Veganism excludes all animal flesh and products, such as milk, honey, and eggs, as well as items refined or manufactured through any such product, such as bone-char refined white sugar or animal-tested baking soda.

Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.[27]

Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.[28]

Sattvic diet (also known as yogic diet), a plant based diet which may also include dairy (not eggs) and honey, but excludes anything from the onion or leek family, red lentils, durian fruit, mushrooms, blue cheeses, fermented foods or sauces, alcoholic drinks and often also excludes coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, nutmeg or any other type of stimulant such as excess sharp spices.

Buddhist vegetarianism. Different Buddhist traditions have differing teachings on diet, which may also vary for ordained monks and nuns compared to others. Many interpret the precept 'not to kill' to require abstinence from meat, but not all. In Taiwan, su vegetarianism excludes not only all animal products but also vegetables in the allium family (which have the characteristic aroma of onion and garlic): onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, chives, or shallots.

Jain vegetarianism includes dairy but excludes eggs and honey, as well as root vegetables.

Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans

As I said, the problem the chef's (and meal planners) have is trying to satisfy all the passengers. It is a daunting task

Hank

Did not mean to insult you in any way. But one has to only look at a place like Wikipedia which lists 10 different varieties of vegetarianism and 4 other things they classify as semi-vegetarianism.

You'll also notice that they stated that semi-vegetarianism is not acknowledged by most groups as being a type of vetarian. :)

I agree with another poster, I think you just have a picky eater that uses vegetarian as an easy out to describe it but doesn't really mean it.

LOL, you are picking and choosing what you want to see. Here is a short excerpt from Wilipedia:

Ovo vegetarianism includes eggs but not dairy products.

Lacto vegetarianism includes dairy products but not eggs.

Ovo-lacto vegetarianism (or lacto-ovo vegetarianism) includes animal/dairy products such as eggs, milk, and honey

Veganism excludes all animal flesh and products, such as milk, honey, and eggs, as well as items refined or manufactured through any such product, such as bone-char refined white sugar or animal-tested baking soda.

Raw veganism includes only fresh and uncooked fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables. Vegetables can only be cooked up to a certain temperature.[27]

Fruitarianism permits only fruit, nuts, seeds, and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant.[28]

Sattvic diet (also known as yogic diet), a plant based diet which may also include dairy (not eggs) and honey, but excludes anything from the onion or leek family, red lentils, durian fruit, mushrooms, blue cheeses, fermented foods or sauces, alcoholic drinks and often also excludes coffee, black or green tea, chocolate, nutmeg or any other type of stimulant such as excess sharp spices.

Buddhist vegetarianism. Different Buddhist traditions have differing teachings on diet, which may also vary for ordained monks and nuns compared to others. Many interpret the precept 'not to kill' to require abstinence from meat, but not all. In Taiwan, su vegetarianism excludes not only all animal products but also vegetables in the allium family (which have the characteristic aroma of onion and garlic): onion, garlic, scallions, leeks, chives, or shallots.

Jain vegetarianism includes dairy but excludes eggs and honey, as well as root vegetables.

Macrobiotic diets consist mostly of whole grains and beans

As I said, the problem the chef's (and meal planners) have is trying to satisfy all the passengers. It is a daunting task

Hank

Nothing to laugh about- this is exactly the list I was referring to. Almost all of them are considered mainstream vegetarian diets (the exception possibly being the yogic diet, which I've never encountered)). There will be crew members on most ships following the ovo-lacto, Jain, and possibly Buddhist diets (and possibly Hindu vegetarian as well). [bTW- followers of the last three diets do so for religious reasons.]

The vegetarian options on the regular dining room menu will offer at least one selection each evening which will satisfy most vegetarians, as a majority of Anglo vegetarians follow an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet. The needs of just about all of the other vegetarian diets can met with the preparation of a vegan meal. I can guarantee that fruitarians, raw foodists, and followers of a yogic diet are aware that they are in a very small minority, and that they will have to be specific in their food needs- but, their needs are not all that difficult to meet.

(I'll point out again that Wikipedia is not always a reliable source- the macrobiotic diet includes small amounts of fish, so it is not vegetarian.)

I'm sure you have had some hair pulling moments trying to get your daughter provided with food she can eat, but that has nothing to do with her declaring herself a vegetarian, and everything to do with her being a picky eater. On the other hand, by declaring herself a vegetarian, she is causing hair pulling moments for the dining staff as they strive to find foods that will make her happy- and she is also making things difficult for those of us who are sincere and dedicated followers of vegetarian and vegan diets, as some might be tempted to lump us in with those who are simply picky eaters and think that declaring themselves vegetarians will get them more attention and a better chance of getting custom meals.

{Sorry, Hank but there are two things I don't take lightly, and you've hit them both recently. Those who make light of either of them will find me not keeping silent.}

Edited by happy trailer

I take personal offense at the people on this thread defining someone else's food label for the without even knowing the person. How dare you assume someone's dietary needs are frivilous, and yours are not?

I am a picky eater.

I also identify as "mostly vegetarian with vegan tendancies" but as that's a mouthful, usually I just say vegetartian.

So am I to blame for the chefs you've encountered being angry and disgruntled? Are they not in the service industry? Did they not go to school, or endure extensive training on the subject of food? I think it's less of an issue with "picky" self identified vegetarians asking for meals they can or want to eat, and more of an issue with disgruntled/lazy/uneducated self-identified "chefs" not being passnate about their chosen craft - which is food service.

So please do us all a favor & get off your horses to this exclusive group where you and only those that are exactly like you do it the "right" way.

I have encountered all sorts of vegetarians throughout my life, as well as vegans and meat eaters. There's no reason any people need to fit in a box just to have a label. Labels don't always fit everyone exactly, so we choose what's closest.

Since I label as vegetarian and know that I'm picky, there is no problem being as such. You don't have to just pick one. So please stop shouting either word like it's an insult. Also, please stop assuming your chefs negative baggage is my fault. You don't know me, perhaps it's really you the chef is complaining about, he's just referencing those others to insult you to your face without you understanding.

As with the others on this thread have stated, I have not had a problem eating in the MDR on my cruises.

I have found that it is easiest just to tell waiters and chefs that I eat a plant-based diet, so if it isn't a plant, I don't eat it. Even so, I have had waiters offer me fish. But I try to politely and calmly repeat that I eat only a plant-based diet and, yes, I have also said if it ever had a face, I don't eat it. That usually works.

One other trick I have learned to use, is to say "no cheese" when I order because it is amazing how many food items on menus come with a sprinkling or garnish of cheese (or an unexpected dollop of sour cream.)

Simple advice... do what Ruth says! :)

Yes, there will be vegetarian meals always available, but they won't necessarily meet your specific needs. More importantly, they may not meet your specific tastes. Some standard vegetarian options on cruise lines are horrid! When in doubt, do the "order ahead" thing. You'll be amazed what cruise lines can and will successfully accommodate.

The digression about terminology is worth paying attention to, just because it raises the issue that you need to be very specific, and that sometimes the technically correct term isn't the best one to use.

Something I wrote recently about this, but in reference to the term "allergy" rather than "vegetarian":

Different words can also have subtly or grossly varying meanings to different people. There's no better example in this context than the word "allergy".

While the word allergy has a specific meaning related to the immune system, when it comes to food, it is commonly used by people to describe any kind of negative reaction caused by particular foods. This may be anything from something quite benign such as a mildly upset stomach, to hives, headaches, extreme gastrointestinal distress (enough said), or life-threatening anaphylaxis.

The culinary staff have heard all sorts of reactions referred to as allergies, so if you have a severe reaction to certain foods, you need to make that very clear, and not just say you have an allergy. You should make clear how severe it is (e.g. "if I eat nuts, I'm going to swell up and stop breathing within two minutes") and how sensitive you are (e.g. "it's okay if something with that bad food has touched it, just as long as it's not actually an ingredient of the meal").

It's the same reason we tend to initially refer to our food reactions as allergies, rather than intolerances. Allergies will cause staff to pay attention, whereas intolerance may be heard as "they just don't like it", despite in many cases being quite severe reactions. I know that people with true allergies (e.g. severe anaphylaxis from nuts) or who are extremely sensitive (e.g. even the smallest amount of gluten affects celiacs) hate the terms "allergy" and "intolerance" being diluted in this way. But that is the unfortunate reality of how the terms are commonly used, and underlines the need for further explanation about severity and sensitivity. In the end, clear communication, even if not technically correct, is what's important.