OUCH - O's stopover fee = 65% of airfare!

Packard

We are in the beginning stages of the deviation process. Our flight schedule came through with flights from TO to LAX and LAX to PPT in one day. We then requested to fly TO to LAX a day early as we cannot fly that great a distance on the same day. I checked and, if we booked on our own, the airline prices online were the same for either day. O's next offer came through but they want to charge us $250US EACH for the change in day....that is 65% of the online airfare cost!

Am I missing something? I obviously don't understand why such a high extra charge. Can someone explain it to me? is this a normal amount to be charged?

Thanks, good idea but both their offers were on the same scheduled airline, just one day apart.

How much is it to do your own air?

Or just keep trying with O till you can workout a plan that suits you

Lyn

How much is it to do your own air?

Or just keep trying with O till you can workout a plan that suits you

Lyn

We were charged an upfare of $100 pp from NYthis past April. I believe they are charging the difference from the cost of the charter not the scheduled flight.

Some airlines have a maximum layover time, and when you are wanting to book a flight that exceeds this maximum layover time, they will charge is as 2 separate tickets (more expensive) rather than 1 roundtrip ticket. Check on this, and maybe try to work within the airlines layover limit. Some airlines, such as Icelandair, actually encourage long layovers and will let you do a "free" layover up to three days.

Thanks everyone!

I guess what has confused me is that of the 4 flights involved in the revised deviation only the first leg has a change....all other flights remained the same. The first leg is still the same airline but a day sooner (to give us time to rest) which I didn't feel would result in an upcharge of $500 per couple. Oh to be young again and be able to fly thousands of miles without batting an eye!!

So are you counting the $150 pp Deviation fee in that $500? If so that would make the actual upcharge $200.

By asking for a change in flights it's going to occur the deviation fee. That is where the bulk of it is.

So are you counting the $150 pp Deviation fee in that $500? If so that would make the actual upcharge $200.

By asking for a change in flights it's going to occur the deviation fee. That is where the bulk of it is.

No, the deviation fee is on top of this up charge. For the two of us, the total cost is the $500 plus the $300 deviation.

That's a lot. Did you check out booking on your own and getting a credit from Oceania?

Another option is to make your gateway LAX, pay for your flight from your home airport to LAX if it's cheaper than $800. If they will let you change your gateway at this point.

When we went to PPT with Oceania last year that is what we did.

We are wanting to fly out to LAX Apr. 4. That's the kicker....the same flight time on the same airline for Apr. 5 was not going to incur an upcharge with O.

As for booking our own TO to LAX flight, it would cost us $810CDN per couple...as opposed to $800US for their upcharge and the deviation.

If we go with O for the rest of the flights, we would still need to pay the deviation because we aren't flying directly home after disembarkation. If we don't go with O, the fares to book the entire trip on our own exceed their air credit by quite a bit.

We are currently waiting until Mon. to talk to our TA. We thought that there might not be such a big upcharge if we chose to fly with a US carrier rather than a Canadian one. O may have better contracts with the US ones.

We are wanting to fly out to LAX Apr. 4. That's the kicker....the same flight time on the same airline for Apr. 5 was not going to incur an upcharge with O.

As for booking our own TO to LAX flight, it would cost us $810CDN per couple...as opposed to $800US for their upcharge and the deviation.

If we go with O for the rest of the flights, we would still need to pay the deviation because we aren't flying directly home after disembarkation. If we don't go with O, the fares to book the entire trip on our own exceed their air credit by quite a bit.

We are currently waiting until Mon. to talk to our TA. We thought that there might not be such a big upcharge if we chose to fly with a US carrier rather than a Canadian one. O may have better contracts with the US ones.

When using Oceania Air, there is a charge for stopping over en-route your destination city. This does not apply to layovers, but if you OPT to stop, then the $250 charge kicks in. As LHT suggested earlier, you may want to select a flight with an overnight layover, in order to avoid the fee. ;)

When using Oceania Air, there is a charge for stopping over en-route your destination city. This does not apply to layovers, but if you OPT to stop, then the $250 charge kicks in. As LHT suggested earlier, you may want to select a flight with an overnight layover, in order to avoid the fee. ;)

This makes sense. I checked online. There is a flight Apr. 4 from TO to LAX that has a forced overnight before the LAX to PPT leg (the same flight O has suggested to us). Let's see what happens Monday!

THANK YOU ALL!!

I have had good experience with booking AC through O

Maybe ask about this flight ..it gives you 12 hr layover & you could always get a dayroom for a nap

Apr 4th AC 791 dep 0835 arr LAX 1100

Apr 4th air Tahiti Nui 101 dep LAX 2330 arr PPT 0505

or Quantas flight 3816 operated by air Tahiti same times

I have had good experience with booking AC through O

Maybe ask about this flight ..it gives you 12 hr layover & you could always get a dayroom for a nap

Apr 4th AC 791 dep 0835 arr LAX 1100

Apr 4th air Tahiti Nui 101 dep LAX 2330 arr PPT 0505

or Quantas flight 3816 operated by air Tahiti same times

Thanks LHT,

That is the flight we requested from O which triggered the $250pp stopover fee. I think we may try for a later evening flight that has a forced layover.

There is another very realistic explanation for the price difference. Your deviation flight is on a Friday while the next day cheaper flight is on a Saturday. Almost always Friday pricing is higher and more sought after by business people going home for the weekend so most probably the Friday flight is booked fuller at this time than the Saturday flight. As flights get fuller, the price per seat goes up.

Really can't look at one day vs. another and expect the pricing to be the same as bookings and people wanting or needing to book vary all over the place and have a direct effect on the pricing.

There is another very realistic explanation for the price difference. Your deviation flight is on a Friday while the next day cheaper flight is on a Saturday. Almost always Friday pricing is higher and more sought after by business people going home for the weekend so most probably the Friday flight is booked fuller at this time than the Saturday flight. As flights get fuller, the price per seat goes up.

Seriously

People fly from to Toronto to LA for the weekend :confused:

Reality is outbound flights Fri Sat & Sun usually are higher midweek flight are cheaper

Thanks LHT,

That is the flight we requested from O which triggered the $250pp stopover fee. I think we may try for a later evening flight that has a forced layover.

Ok sorry about that

Though you were looking at ones flying out of LAX the next day

But it is still cheaper than booking your own;)

Sometimes it is better to pay the upcharge if you cannot find something better with O

Lyn

Really can't look at one day vs. another and expect the pricing to be the same as bookings and people wanting or needing to book vary all over the place and have a direct effect on the pricing.

Thanks Dave for the explanation. What threw me was that, if I booked my own air, the online flight price for both Fri and Sat were the same. I incorrectly assumed that would also be the case through O.

Seriously

People fly from to Toronto to LA for the weekend :confused:

Ever heard of a "mileage run"? It's not my idea of fun, but some folks do it regularly to build up their frequent flyer status, among other things.

Flying from Toronto to Los Angeles for the weekend is very tame for the FF'er's.

Here's an example of a 25,318 miles run:

OUTBOUND Mon 11 Feb 2013 |9:20pmSFO to 1:35am 12 Feb SIN |

DL 2240 , DL 173 , DL 621

9:20pm SFO 1:35am 12 Feb SIN

Multi-Stop36 hr 15 min

JFKLayover

NRTLayover

DL 2240 Economy (T)

DL 173 Economy (T)

DL 621 Economy (T)

RETURN Thu 14 Feb 2013 |6:00amSIN to 8:49pm SFO | Multi-Stop

|DL 622 , DL 172 , DL 31

6:00am SIN 8:49pm SFO

Multi-Stop30 hr 49 min

NRTLayover

JFKLayover

DL 622 Economy (T)

DL 172 Economy (T)

DL 31 Economy (T)

(Airports mentioned: SFO = San Francisco, SIN = Singapore, JFK = New York City, NRT = Tokyo)

Ever heard of a "mileage run"? It's not my idea of fun, but some folks do it regularly to build up their frequent flyer status, among other things.

Flying from Toronto to Los Angeles for the weekend is very tame for the FF'er's.

I have heard of it but I cannot imagine doing it

Not my idea of fun but somepeople do the strangest things

Archived