The ONE most significant item

hsaroya

There are dozens of threads on the boards with suggestions and lists of things newbies should bring on board, with some lists falling just short of the kitchen sink!

Please suggest ONE, and only one, item that you've now religiously taken with you that was suggested on cruise critic and you have actually found useful. Please, no commentary, no bashing anyone's suggestion - just name one item. Thanks for playing along!

Also, if you can, list one piece of useful port advice that you found on cruise critic.

I'll start...

1. Take along a light wrap - it dresses up a top for the MDR, great for keeping warm during evening deck strolls, and can be used as a sarong over a bathing suit

2. Port advice- take the public bus to certain beaches in Antigua. At $1.25, saved our family $50 in taxi fare!

1. Yikes, besides my makeup, clothing, camera and toiletries...the one item I always have to have along is my own blow dryer. I've never had one on a cruise ship or a hotel that I thought worked well for me.

2. Port, research and select one thing you really want to do...and shopping shouldn't be one of them. See something out of the ordinary. Avoid ship sponsored excursions if you can.

3. I just have to add this one even though the OP didn't ask. Don't try to stay together as a group if you're cruising with family or friends. You'll not only have more to talk about at dinner, you won't get sick of or frustrated by being together all the time.

1. I didn't see this on CC but I always take a journal with me and update it daily.

It really brings back memories when I re-read it years later. I include descriptions of ports from ship's newsletter and sometimes include local postcards or receipts.

2. Port advice from CC. Read your roll call and you might be able to join a private tour with fellow CC members.

Shipboard: our tablet for journaling, free wifi, photos

In port: The #1 thing I do for every port research is use "Google Maps" directions. I "click" on the "bus" icon/tab and it will tell you what buses to take to the sites. You can then determine whether you want to take an excursion or not because of how complicated it may be to get there. I print the instructions and bring them with me. No more than 1 transfer is my criteria. Saves me a ton of cash!;)

I have used this feature:

Victoria station to most London sites including Windsor castle

Lisbon port to Belem sites

Bermuda to beaches

Trevi fountain to forum

and for my cruise next week::)

Victoria Inner Harbor to Buchart Gardens

Seattle port to Underground tour

Santa Barbara port to Old Mission & Museum of Science

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

"click" get directions

"type" cruise port or starting point in "A"

"type" site name or address in "B"

"click" get directions

"click" bus icon

choose a day & time that similiar to your arrival for bus schedule

"click" on the route that you prefer based on ease, time, schedule

"click" on reverse direction for return trip

Please suggest ONE, and only one, item that you've now religiously taken with you that was suggested on cruise critic and you have actually found useful.

A outlet extender (or power strip) to extend the number of outlets in my cabin. I used an extender to turn a single outlet into a triple I didn't realize that I would need it until I did.

Also, if you can, list one piece of useful port advice that you found on cruise critic

Not from CC, but my single piece of port advice applicable to any port world wide would be to prepare with transit maps of where you're going, either having them on paper or your smartphone. That way you can do some investigation on your own, even if you've got a partial day tour planned.

One, just one? You named two. Another interesting thread would be what is useless, name just one. I would have to decide between many which have been suggested. I was intrigued with the just one beginning, and lost interest with addition of another. The just one was interesting, but piling onto it ruined it.

Edit: I now see that there are 2 parts, one item and port advise. Sorry if I violated the commentary part, but I would suggest sticking with either the one item or the port advise.

Great advice, everyone! Keep it coming. The journal reminder is a good one for my next cruise - Royal Princess at Christmas time; seems like an eternity away, hence the need to start a thread to keep the excitement alive!

Archived