When is switch of route to Falklands announced

JennysUncle

On HAL cruises scheduled for Puerto Madryn Argentina, sometimes the ship switches to Stanley in the Falklands instead. It seems that this depend partly on the weather forecast and partly on the political situation. (Argentina could deny its ports to ships that honor UK administration of "the Maldives".)

Can any previous cruisers comment on when the diversion is decided and announced ? For instance, on the Buenas Aires to Santiago trips, do they wait until the evening or sea day after leaving Punta del Este ?

The problem is that HAL does not list or book Stanley excursions in advance, when that port is not on the schedule -- but if they divert, there must be a mad rush to book onboard. Or is there some way to make tentative bookings ahead ?

On HAL cruises scheduled for Puerto Madryn Argentina' date=' sometimes the ship switches to Stanley in the Falklands instead. It seems that this depend partly on the weather forecast and partly on the political situation. (Argentina could deny its ports to ships that honor UK administration of "the Maldives".)

Can any previous cruisers comment on when the diversion is decided and announced ? For instance, on the Buenas Aires to Santiago trips, do they wait until the evening or sea day after leaving Punta del Este ?

The problem is that HAL does not list or book Stanley excursions in advance, when that port is not on the schedule -- but if they divert, there must be a mad rush to book onboard. Or is there some way to make tentative bookings ahead ?[/quote']

I have never heard of a HAL ship diverting from an Argentinian port to the Falkland Islands. The other way yes, but not that way.

I am reasonably certain that HAL will never take reservations for excursions to Sparrow Cove, Volunteer Point or any other tour in the Falklands if the ship is not scheduled to stop there. It does not seem reasonable for them to do so.

Scott & Karen

When we couldn't go to the Falklands it wasn't announced until the morning of. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out - the waves said it all and I knew that unfortunately the announcement was coming

The OP isn't talking about schedule changes due to weather in the Falklands. My bet is that they are asking about port changes due to the political 'climate' in Argentina re the Falklands. This last season HAL had to drop the Falklands because Argentina was causing problems for those ships that had stopped there. HAL has said that Pt. Stanley is an option. The OP is asking about when one would know if their cruise is going to be allowed to go there instead of Puerto Madryn. :rolleyes: Maybe since DH is a rocket scientist that seems clear to me.

IIRC, last year, the Veendam Jan 30th cruise pax were advised two days before arriving in the Falklands. The ship had to alter the route that far ahead to go to the Falklands. One person was blogging about it, I'm pretty sure it was Monina who was on that cruise. I believe she made tentative arrangements with a private tour operator in advance, just in case they went to the Falklands. They were able to get to Volunteer Point.

Coming from the other direction, on my Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise last January, we technically made it to Ushuaia (never got ashore), and were next scheduled for the Falklands after Antarctica. So, to prevent going directly from Argentina to the Falklands, we had to retrace our sail for a while, and stop at a Chilean station. That way there was another country in between, and calmed the political waters.

As it turned out, there was a fierce (weather) storm bearing down on the Falklands when we were ready to head there, so we changed course to Puerto Madryn.

IIRC, last year, the Veendam Jan 30th cruise pax were advised two days before arriving in the Falklands. The ship had to alter the route that far ahead to go to the Falklands. One person was blogging about it, I'm pretty sure it was Monina who was on that cruise. I believe she made tentative arrangements with a private tour operator in advance, just in case they went to the Falklands. They were able to get to Volunteer Point.

Sorry, it wasn't last year, it was this year! It seems so long ago...

Since we’re talking about the Falkland Islands, I must share with you my favorite time in the Falklands.

The sign says “Keep 5 mitres from the penguins.” But they are curious and no one ever taught them to read.

Scott & Karen

Great pictures! Brings back fond memories of our Veendam cruise, and the bumpy ride in those jeeps!

Great pictures! Brings back fond memories of our Veendam cruise, and the bumpy ride in those jeeps!

If you are into private shorex you might set one up in case. I was on the January 10th trip and one of our RC members had made reservations for us that covered that contingency. Patrick was t able to but he recommended someone who was willing. As Ruth said, the weather did not cooperate. We found out the day we left Antarctica. We were supposed to pick up a part that had been sent from England to fix the voicemail, and it was being sent to Stanley.

The day we would have been at Stanley Princess was there and they reportedly had to abort tender operations.

Since we’re talking about the Falkland Islands, I must share with you my favorite time in the Falklands.

The sign says “Keep 5 mitres from the penguins.” But they are curious and no one ever taught them to read.

28f924c1-9cd5-4cad-b92e-0a818a2eb1a3_zpscdd9c285.jpg

Scott & Karen

I would never break rules meant to protect wildlife.

28f924c1-9cd5-4cad-b92e-0a818a2eb1a3_zpscdd9c285.jpg

Scott & Karen

Thanks for the photos. Brings back memories. Gotta love those little guys.

Hi, yes indeed we were on the Jan 30 cruise this year. Our itinerary had Puerto Madryn on Feb 4th.

On Feb 3rd, later in the morning (i think around 10 am), the Captain notified us of the change of plans. The 4th became an extra sea day, and on the 5th we called at Stanley.

I had prepared for this in advance and I had two tours planned, for both Puerto Madryn and Stanley. So all I had to do after the announcement was made, was hop on the internet and email to the one to cancel, and email to the other to confirm. Early in the afternoon the shorex desk opened and I mentioned this in other topics: the line to book a tour for Stanley was immense. It went up the atrium stairs to the next deck.

The sea lions and iguanas in the Galapagos came right up to us like that. We never approached them closer than the rules, but if we just held still, they got close and really checked us out. They don't have land predators so are unafraid.

In Rwanda the gorillas came right up to us, too. I admit to being afraid of the silverback, but he seemed mostly interested in my ponytail. Incredibly beautiful animals.

We are on the first Zaandam SA cruise this year and are hoping we make the Falklands. We have a shore excursion tentatively scheduled and will keep our fingers crossed. I'd love to see the King Penguins and Gentoos there. If not, we also have an excursion in Puerto Madryn to Punta Tombo.

On HAL cruises scheduled for Puerto Madryn Argentina' date=' sometimes the ship switches to Stanley in the Falklands instead. It seems that this depend partly on the weather forecast and partly on the political situation. (Argentina could deny its ports to ships that honor UK administration of "the Maldives".)

[/quote']

Just a small point: It's The Malvinas (Las Malvinas), not The Maldives. The Republic of the Maldives is a chain of islands in the Indian ocean.

UK administration of "the Maldives".)

Can't answer your question, sorry, but Argentina's name is "Malvinas" - the Maldives are in the Indian Ocean and far more beautiful than the Falklands.

Oops, sorry, just noticed someone has pointed this out.

Archived