Europe or trans-atlantic

akacake

I have a budget of approx $1000 pp. I will be in Europe (for the 1st time) next fall 2014 and am trying to decide between a 7 day European cruise on the MSC Magnifica OR a 14 day trans-atlantic cruise on the NCL Epic. Both are close to the same price.

The length of the cruise and the airfare home are not an issue.

I welcome all suggestions :)

Adding the airfare to the NCL cruise would give you very broadly the same value-for-money for each cruise.

But the airfare "is of no concern". Guessing this means it's free for you (business travel, employee perk, air-miles or whatever). In which case you're certainly going to get better value out of the NCL cruise, which on a 14-day trans-Atlantic is going to include at least as many ports as the 7-day MSC cruise.

Those maths are a no-brainer.

But a lot of folk don't like half-a-dozen sea-days strung together, they get bored or feel trapped. And the Atlantic in the Fall probably won't be ideal for relaxing on the pool-deck, & might be a bit choppy or worse.

If. like me, you consider the ship as transport to get from port to port, the MSC cruise might be a better bet.

Or if you consider the ship as a resort you'll get the same opportunities for port -hopping, plus a free week or so on the floating resort.

What are the ports-of-call? Do some appeal a great deal more than others?

And what times in port? (like their Italian cousin Costa, MSC may include more half-days)

And bear in mind that although the trans-Atlantic part is effectively free, you'll be spending on sodas, alcohol, etc at higher ship-board prices rather than home prices for those extra seven full days.

I get the impression you may be new to cruising?

So the only way to resolve your dilemma is to take a Caribbean cruise this winter so that you can figure it for yourself. :D

JB :)

Edit.

The presumption in my post is that this is fly to Europe & cruise back on an NCL re-positioning cruise.

If the NCL cruise is sailing across the Pond both ways forget my post, cos it'll be a very long ferry ride with few ports. ;)

Hi,

As others have said...You have to decide which is more appealing...as they are certainly quite different. The Epic itinerary involves 10 sea days, and just 3 ports...while the Magnifica 7 night cruises only have 1 sea day, with the rest ports...Are the ports important places you want to visit ? Do that many relaxing sea days sound good to you ?

We are all different, and plan cruises for different reasons...we still cruise for itineraries and ports, and visiting places we have never been or really want to go. Perhaps one day we will cruise more for the ship and relaxation...but not yet.

Enjoy...whichever you decide on !:)

Woody

We have now done enough cruises that both port intensive cruises and themore relaxing sea days of a TA appeal to us equally. I love the idea of being waited on and having an entire day to do nothing or anything. You mention you will be in Europe for the first time. Are you planning on doing any sightseeing (where ) before the cruise. Anywhere in Europe will be appealing, but likely pricier than a cruise of either 7 or 14 days.

It's really hard to judge this, not knowing the ports for each cruise and your likes and dislikes. For us, the flights to Europe would not be worth it for a seven day cruise, unless we were also spending more time there pre or post cruise.

We love Transatlantics, but it sounds like there are only 3 ports on this cruise, so that makes a difference. Do you like sea days--a lot of sea days in a row? We do; some people don't.

Obviously you are getting a better value per day on the 14 day cruise, but seeing less of Europe.

For us, a Transatlantic is also a better value because we can use FF miles for the one-way trip, usually only 20,000 miles each. Plus, we tend to book rather late and get some terrific deals. This is all very subjective to what you like.

Hi,

The Epic itinerary involves 10 sea days, and just 3 ports...while the Magnifica 7 night cruises only have 1 sea day, with the rest ports... :)

Woody

Just checked out that Epic itinerary.

err ........... better make that "checked out the itinerary on Epic", cos the itinerary is far from epic.

Barca - Azores - St Maarten - St Thomas - Miami.

No contest

If you are in Europe for the first time it would seem a shame to me that you don't visit any of the countries around the Med. The difference in culture, language, food etc is quite remarkable for a land mass that is around the same size as your own country. And if you are into all things historical, you'll miss out big time!

The weather around the med is really nice till around the end of October, even after this it's still not too bad, much better than the UK!

A pre or post cruise stay would also be a good idea. For example, if you sail out of Barcelona, why not fly into Madrid and spend a few days there in the Spanish capital then jump on a train to Barcelona and spend a couple of days there! Or fly into Paris and see the sights before heading down into Spain. Transport in Europe is fantastic, especially the rail network. From Paris you can go to Holland, Belgium, Spain, Germany, the list goes on. Hope this helps, and do update us all on what you decide to do!

I have a budget of approx $1000 pp. I will be in Europe (for the 1st time) next fall 2014 and am trying to decide between a 7 day European cruise on the MSC Magnifica OR a 14 day trans-atlantic cruise on the NCL Epic. Both are close to the same price.

Since the transportation costs to and from Europe are a wash, I would neither. I would fly to Europe, pick 1 country that I am really interested in, and spend as long as I could afford at one or more B&Bs and really see places instead of running from place to place.

I realize that this is heresy since this is a cruise board and I do cruise but lets face it, you really can not see any place if you have part of one day at the place.

DON

Since the transportation costs to and from Europe are a wash, I would neither. I would fly to Europe, pick 1 country that I am really interested in, and spend as long as I could afford at one or more B&Bs and really see places instead of running from place to place.

I realize that this is heresy since this is a cruise board and I do cruise but lets face it, you really can not see any place if you have part of one day at the place.

DON

Of course you make an excellent suggestion - but miss an obvious point. The smart way to do a T/A is to spend several days at port of embarkation so you do get to really experience it - then enjoy the T/A as a civilized way of getting home.

DON

i agree!

Love the Mediterranean and love TAs.

Have 45+ cruises on 9 different lines, would not set foot on MSC. Recommend NCL over MSC.

thank you for all the replies :)

There were some great suggestions, thank you so much. I have only done 9 cruises before and on each one I preferred the port days over the sea days. I don't mind one or two sea days but to have so many in a row I think I will be bored....

however I really like the suggestion of NOT taking a cruise and just B&B'ing it to really see another country...great suggestion :) :)

I will keep you posted on what I decide.

DON

I agree, which is why I will only do cruises with as few ports as possible.....transoceanic cruises are what I want. I've done a more port intensive cruise and it was great to travel with my family, but I don't consider myself to have really visited Alaska. On the up-side, it was where I learned how much I love sea days. After my next cruise I'll spend 8 or 10 days after the cruise before flying home, to spend some time really seeing the area (but no B&Bs for me - I hate them).

Archived