LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Thank you very much for the info....I appreciate it.

We ate in the Concerto Anytime Dining Room And there were were some large oval tables that would accommodate 12 very close by to us....assume there are more...I would see the Maître D' upon boarding and discuss it with him/.her.

Well, made it to the Hotel Saturnia in Venice but not without some adventures. Slept well last night so I'm feeling far more human and less grumpy than yesterday. We'd made arrangements with the Sofitel Heathrow yesterday for a wheelchair and porter for Nancy at 5:30am. Checked out, no porter or wheelchair. We wound up having to schlep our luggage back to the terminal and check-in. Not a bad walk for me but difficult for Nancy. BA almost redeemed themselves as the crew were terrific and very helpful. Ran into some old cruising friends on the plane but they're on another ship. Got to VCE, BA was terrific getting Nancy off the plane, through Immigration and got our bags. Then, the wheelchair person told Nancy to get up and walk while I lugged all our bags. Met the Princess rep and she had no assistance to get Nancy to the water taxi. A porter took our bags but it was a bit if a hike for her. Getting on the water taxi (in the rain) was quite an adventure; getting off at the hotel was downright awful. We had to literally jump from the taxi to the hotel steps. It wasn't easy for me but horrible for Nancy but she finally did it. I told the Princess rep that if it's like that tomorrow getting to the ship, they better have "Plan B" ready. The issue is flooding and a mid-day high tide so there is a big (2-3') gap between the hotel's landing steps and the water taxi with no railings or other assistance plus they're at different heights. My jumping days are long gone. Our rooms were ready and the hotel manager remembered us from our last stay (2005.) We must be memorable but actually, the reason is that he vacations in Laguna Beach every couple of years and had remembered our discussions of LB. Relaxing now. It's raining so I may not do much today.

I got a couple of web cam grabs of Royal Princess arriving in Venice just in case Kiwi Kruzer (David) was offline....

mahene9y.jpg

ejaduteq.jpg

yvuryneh.jpg

yquta3yb.jpg

adebazu6.jpg

Great shots Dave! Maybe the best clarity I have seen from a webcam. How did you find that cam? Is it as simple as searching "Venice web cams" and if so, what Venice location is this from?

Norris

in Chicago

Great shots Dave! Maybe the best clarity I have seen from a webcam. How did you find that cam? Is it as simple as searching "Venice web cams" and if so, what Venice location is this from?

Norris

in Chicago

I did a Google search just as you said, and I actually found that particular webcam for the very first time just moments before she passed in front of the camera. It was nothing but a stroke of good luck! :D

Here's the website:

http://www.ismar.cnr.it/infrastrutture/piattaforma-acqua-alta/webcam/webcam-bacino-s.-marco

Here's another that I grabbed but didn't post earlier. You can still see the stern of Royal Princess on the far left of the image in the background as she begins her approach to the cruise terminal area...

uta5emem.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Edit: Confirmed that it is ESPN Europe that has post season MLB rights. Not sure about Latin America rights.

There are numerous Latin American ESPN stations. (ESPN Brazil; ESPN Caribbean; ESPN DOS Mexico; ESPN Mexico; ESPN HD Latin; ESPN Latin North; ESPN Latin South; ESPN Venezuela; ESPN2 Caribbean to name a few). The best that can be said is that some of these stations are airing some of the games. I do not see that any one of these stations is carrying all of the MLB games. For example, today, ESPN HD Latin, ESPN HD Brazil, ESPN2 Caribbean and ESPN DOS Mexico are showing the early game (Detroit/Oakland) but not the later game (Boston/Tampa). ESPN Brazil is showing the later game but not the earlier game. None of the other stations are showing any games.

As for ESPN Europe/America, that channel no longer exists but is part of BT Sport. Not sure what the status is with respect to MLB, or if the ships even get BT.

http://www.baseballgb.co.uk/?p=16670

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/07/29/channels-interested-in-espn-america-rights/

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/feb/25/espn-bt-vision

There are numerous Latin American ESPN stations. (ESPN Brazil; ESPN Caribbean; ESPN DOS Mexico; ESPN Mexico; ESPN HD Latin; ESPN Latin North; ESPN Latin South; ESPN Venezuela; ESPN2 Caribbean to name a few). The best that can be said is that some of these stations are airing some of the games. I do not see that any one of these stations is carrying all of the MLB games. For example, today, ESPN HD Latin, ESPN HD Brazil, ESPN2 Caribbean and ESPN DOS Mexico are showing the early game (Detroit/Oakland) but not the later game (Boston/Tampa). ESPN Brazil is showing the later game but not the earlier game. None of the other stations are showing any games.

As for ESPN Europe/America, that channel no longer exists but is part of BT Sport. Not sure what the status is with respect to MLB, or if the ships even get BT.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/07/29/channels-interested-in-espn-america-rights/

Thanks so much--unfortunately the Braves lost so they're out, but the Pirates are still alive, so we may still have someone to cheer for, My husband grew up in Pittsburgh, so he's a big Pirates fan.

We arrived into Venice about 12:15; a little earlier than expected. Our port side served us well since we got to see other scenery and other churches. It wasn’t raining, but everything we could see looked very wet. And it’s cold, at least for us. I do hope that they are wrong about tomorrow’s weather, since right now it is anticipated to rain all day with a high of only 60.

Inasmuch as we hadn’t planned to wander today, we just had a leisurely day and watched the movie “Admission.” I don’t believe it ever rained again, but whenever we peeked outside it just felt “cold and raw.”

Celebrity Silhouette is parked outside our window too. Nothing to say about it; just a comment.

Jrljel: The Sanctuary is completely accessible, though you must use the forward elevators only to deck 17.

Ed: Bob and Meredith are with us. We even flew down together. I will say hi for you. :)

It’s now past 4 PM and without anything to talk about, we are now going to get some ice cream; for the first time since boarding.

Will be back when there’s something to say. ;)

Found this on ESPN Media Zone. Looks like all WS games and 50% split of LCS and two of the four LDS (those end by Thursday). I'm assuming those asking will be on Caribbean cruises as Europe season is over. It looks like ESPN in Europe is limited to UK and Ireland now. They must have lost whatever distribution channels they had in the rest of Europe -too bad.

The agreement means that ESPN will continue to be the home of MLB coverage throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. Under the expanded agreement, fans will be able to watch Spring Training games, more than 125 regular season MLB games (including ESPN’s Sunday Night, Monday Night and Wednesday Night Baseball games), the MLB All-Star Weekend (including the All-Star Game, State Farm Home Run Derby, Futures Game and Celebrity Softball Game), one of the Wild Card presented by Budweiser Playoff games, two of the four Division series, one of the League Championship Series (alternating between the National League and American League each season), and every game of the World Series.

THANKS for the great report on the Wine Makers Table! It sounds amazing!!! So far we have nine people from our Roll Call wanting to sign up for the same night. :D

Can one sign up for the Wine Makers Table online before a cruise or is sign-up only onboard?

Can one sign up for the Wine Makers Table online before a cruise or is sign-up only onboard?

Only onboard. Since I'll be doing this on the second half of my B2B I'm hoping to get a head start on the reservations before the new passengers embark.

Just saying hi before we go to bed. We had plans to take the train to Vernona tomorrow, but Mike's knee is bothering him and I doubt we will make it. It's a long walk to the People Mover. Will see you in the AM. Night all.

We arrived into Venice about 12:15; a little earlier than expected. Our port side served us well since we got to see other scenery and other churches. It wasn’t raining, but everything we could see looked very wet. And it’s cold, at least for us. I do hope that they are wrong about tomorrow’s weather, since right now it is anticipated to rain all day with a high of only 60.

Inasmuch as we hadn’t planned to wander today, we just had a leisurely day and watched the movie “Admission.” I don’t believe it ever rained again, but whenever we peeked outside it just felt “cold and raw.”

Celebrity Silhouette is parked outside our window too. Nothing to say about it; just a comment.

Jrljel: The Sanctuary is completely accessible, though you must use the forward elevators only to deck 17.

Ed: Bob and Meredith are with us. We even flew down together. I will say hi for you. :)

It’s now past 4 PM and without anything to talk about, we are now going to get some ice cream; for the first time since boarding.

Will be back when there’s something to say. ;)

10153302205_1f59972c23.jpg

It was a little early wasn't it. I went out to get some pictures of the sail in and was glad I was early myself.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Only onboard. Since I'll be doing this on the second half of my B2B I'm hoping to get a head start on the reservations before the new passengers embark.

Thank you. We'll make that one of the first things to do when we board.

I did a Google search just as you said, and I actually found that particular webcam for the very first time just moments before she passed in front of the camera. It was nothing but a stroke of good luck! :D

Here's the website:

http://www.ismar.cnr.it/infrastrutture/piattaforma-acqua-alta/webcam/webcam-bacino-s.-marco

Hi Dave - congrats on catching the Royal at just the right moment - great pictures.

Thanks so much for this link. I came across this site a couple of weeks ago, but since I don't speak Italian and know nothing about Venice, I gave up.

I see the ship is scheduled to depart Venice at 5 PM on Thursday - if I've done my math correctly, I'll be glued to this website before 11 AM on the 10th!! Kay