Travel Agent Question

ScottC4746

Many transfer their bookings from the cruise lines to a TA for better prices. We do that because the agency we use has a penalty for cancellation. When we are sure this is the cruise we want, we'll call and transfer and they assign the booking to a TA.

With HAL, only a phone call is needed. With Celebrity, one must fill out a form.

And all I've had to do was email my TA with the booking number and request and she handles it.

I have often been "peeved" when on the Cunard bard, I read of passengers going on my cruise who got same cat of cabin, plus a good OBC when I booking with Cunard got brochure pricing and zip OBC.

So when booking for July 2013, I used a local large agency TA. Same price and $50 OBC, pretty poor, but was assured "most agents are not giving OBC"

Then on cruise I met a passenger who gave me her TA information. I booked a cruise on board, ,in order to be sure I could get least expensive inside cabin . Quoted Brochure price for 22 days, but would receive received $400 OBC.

Once home I contacted the TA whose name I hade been given. I could not believe my ears, on transferring the price would be $600 LESS, than on board quote , plus I would get and extra $200 OBC (making $600 in all).

In our case, our online TA charges a fee for canceling a cruise. We book specific aft wraparound cabins a year in advance, and plans could change. When we are sure that is the cruise we want, we transfer to the online TA. So far, we haven't had to cancel. That is our only advantage.

However, there are other times when we book directly through our online TA, when we are sure we will be taking that cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

In our case, our online TA charges a fee for canceling a cruise. We book aft wraparound cabins a year in advance, and plans could change. When we are sure that is the cruise we want, we transfer to the online TA. So far, we haven't had to cancel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

OK. That makes sense. Our Internet TA doesn't charge a cancellation fee so that's not an issue but I got it. :) I've heard...maybe read....that agencies and cruise lines are getting "tired" of cancellations and that more and more either have or are considering some kind of cancellation fee. Silversea has a $200 cancellation fee that probably scares some people off. The fee is treated as a future cruise credit for another cruise as long as it's taken within a year of the cancelled cruise's sailing date.

I know my Internet TA accepts transfers from HAL, actually most if not all cruise lines, but I've never done that and have always booked through the TA. I may have missed something but I can't think of an advantage. ?????

The advantage IMO is to have a direct personal control over your booking at the beginning if u you're that kind of person. Then right before final payment you transfer and get the OBCs, PG dinner or what have u.

The advantage IMO is to have a direct personal control over your booking at the beginning if u you're that kind of person. Then right before final payment you transfer and get the OBCs, PG dinner or what have u.

That is what lots of people do.

I was using a TA for quite a few years and was very happy with her service. No complaints. We became friends with KJW869 and his wife on a cruise in 2009. He kept saying we should try his TA. So, we finally tried her for our cruise this past May.

She is awesome and now I know why he so highly recommended her. Often people will recommend a TA and it doesn't go very well, which is why I was hesitant to switch. He really steered us in the right direction. We have 2 more cruises booked through her and I can't see any reason to use anyone else. We are looking forward to our upcoming cruises and sailing again with KJW869 and his lovely wife. We have a lot to celebrate with our dear friends, retirement and hopefully, the last of treatments for my DH's cancer.

Diane

I know my Internet TA accepts transfers from HAL, actually most if not all cruise lines, but I've never done that and have always booked through the TA. I may have missed something but I can't think of an advantage. ?????

Randy, our TA is in the U.S. and if we want to book in Candian $$$ (rare, but this time it made sense) then she asks us to book with HAl and then transfer the booking. It makes it easier for her due to the exchange rate. And everything works out beautifully:D If we book in US $ we go directly through her:D

Randy, our TA is in the U.S. and if we want to book in Candian $$$ (rare, but this time it made sense) then she asks us to book with HAl and then transfer the booking. It makes it easier for her due to the exchange rate. And everything works out beautifully:D If we book in US $ we go directly through her:D

Luckily, or maybe sometimes unluckily, I don't have to worry about exchange rates but I can see where that might be an advantage to use which ever avenue works better.

On the other point of initially managing a booking I guess I'm not as much of a Type A as I thought I was. It's our choice but I don't remember the last time I booked a HAL cruise and had any further contact with the TA after the initial booking and eventual final payment. It might be that we've settled into a very specific process and routine. We book specific cabins and actually have settled on three that we'll take. If one of those is not available, though I don't remember that happening recently, we just look at another date or cruise. We've never booked a guarantee and have never considered a cruise where that was the only option. Because we book specific cabins and cruise pretty much only R and S class ships our chances of an upgrade or up sell to say the penthouse :) are slim to none so we don't spend any energy or effort on that. We also don't use HAL air, hotels, or transfers so again no reason to mess with the TA or a PCC. Add being blessed with relatively good health and no other special requirements I guess we're about an easy a client as possible. Probably why I have no problem booking with the lowest cost option. I don't feel like I'm a significant workload to a TA or PCC so I don't see much sense in paying them for services I don't use.

RandyK47, we are much the same, except I always price out cruise air. Last October cruise air was cheaper and better than what I would have booked on my own.

After booking with a large online agency, I do not think I have ever called the agent again. I can not imagine why I would, unless I saw a price reduction. I am happy to book excursions on my own. It is easier to fill out boarding documents on my own than to tell a travel agent how to fill in the form. The fewer people that know our personal information the better.

I travel with a list of emergency numbers and have dealt with flight delays, flight cancellations, and strikes without needing a middleman between me and the service provider.

RandyK47, we are much the same, except I always price out cruise air. Last October cruise air was cheaper and better than what I would have booked on my own.

I too check that but only once, and it was years ago on a cruise we booked very close to the sailing date, did HAL actually have a better deal. It helps now that my wife travels extensively for business and has some kind of advanced frequent flier status. We get free luggage, upgrades or free choice seat assignments, priority boarding, and a discount on their airport club. Right now we're looking to book our flights for next year but have settled yet. While not HAL the cruise line's fare is a couple hundred higher but has some other benefits so we'll see.

Archived