Travel Agent Question

ScottC4746

Did you make the original booking with a TA?

If so, you normally need their permission to remove the reservation from them and that permission is not always granted.

Did you book directly through the cruise line?

Did you make the original booking with a TA?

If so, you normally need their permission to remove the reservation from them and that permission is not always granted.

Did you book directly through the cruise line?

Other way around, the TA is taking over a reservation made directly with HAL

I use an Internet based TA but quite frankly only to book the cruise. We make all of our own flight, pre and post hotel arrangements, etc., ourselves. Almost all cruise lines have gone to some form of on-line registration once the booking is active and I have no problem or issue with entering our information like passports, emergency contact information, special requests/requirements, etc. the fewer people that have to handle that information the better in my mind. Other than the initial deposit I don't prepay any of the fare and wait until three or so days before final payment to pay off the balance. The one thing I do like that HAL, and some other lines for that matter, now offers is the capability to add and prepay for some stuff like tours, on-ship services, etc. Kind of keeps the "sticker shock" at the end of the cruise down. :)

Other way around, the TA is taking over a reservation made directly with HAL

That is fine and totally permitted.

Whether or not there is any advantage, only you can decide. We don't know all your details and reasons.

See if your TA friend can get a better price for you or provide any extras such as OBC.

My DH talked to a TA friend who is going to take over our reservation. The TA said I can still do biweekly payments. Should we have left it alone or are we better with the TA?

IMO, a TA who is knowledgeable about 4-5 cruise lines is worth Having if you're not sticking with HA every time you bookThat way you don't have to study each cruise line issues and ship floor plans and secrets. which I think take a considerable amount of time. There was an article here floating around last week which was very accurate and it spoke a great deal about TAs. Sorry can't paste it from my iPhone. Please search that article last week as it had a whole thread and people commented. It was worth reading. Try search for " cruise critic and TV shows " something like that. Or just be patient and go back and read last week threads. Good luck!

Oh btw : you're supposed to get some OBC upon transferring.

My DH talked to a TA friend who is going to take over our reservation. The TA said I can still do biweekly payments. Should we have left it alone or are we better with the TA?
The travel agent is better off.

I do not see any advantage to you. Since you did not mention any reduction in fare or on board credit, I assume you have none. You now have a middle man between you and the cruise line, just one more opportunity for miscommunication, delays, and errors.

I think it is the 'supposed to' part that confuses me. :) Some, even many, may offer OBC but others may give a better price to begin with and don't give the OBC. Some TA's may offer OBC for some bookings but not others and you might even find a collection of TA's give it for same cruise but not another and there likely is an explanation for that. ;)

All the TA's I spoke to (4-5) of them offered OBC so I thought it's norm. Maybe not.

I've never gotten anything from mine except for a pain in the ......:D.

I'm in the process of changing my next cruise to my PCC and will be happy to never deal with the ta again.

I think it is the 'supposed to' part that confuses me. :) Some, even many, may offer OBC but others may give a better price to begin with and don't give the OBC. Some TA's may offer OBC for some bookings but not others and you might even find a collection of TA's give it for same cruise but not another and there likely is an explanation for that. ;)

"Supposed to" confused me also. I stopped using a large well known travel agency because (1) I got nothing - zip, zero from them. Paid the exact price as on HAL's website. (2) I knew more than they did about HAL, HAL ships, and HAL policies. I'm happier knowing if something isn't right that I screwed up - not someone who made money off the deal.

Thanks, :)

I thought it was just me hung up on the 'supposed to' part.

I was sure there was something I must have been missing.

We had a great TA and loved working with her until she no longer did that kind of work.

We got another local TA who was fine and we would have continued with that agency but they couldn't compete with internet booking robots and closed.

We then switched to a PCC. I like I have full control over our bookings and don't have to do telephone tag dances with a TA if I wish to do something regarding our bookings.

When/if he retires, I'm not sure what we'll do.

All the TA's I spoke to (4-5) of them offered OBC so I thought it's norm. Maybe not.

We used a TA for the first 5-6 cruises and they never gave us any OBC or any other gifts. We also seemed to know more about HAL, so switch to booking directly with them.

We used a TA for the first 5-6 cruises and they never gave us any OBC or any other gifts. We also seemed to know more about HAL, so switch to booking directly with them.

From what I have heard, for many cruise lines, the TA is not allowed to quote prices less that the cruise ship website prices. So they offer incentives such as OBC, free air, pinnacle dinners, wine packages, internet packages etc. My friends and I get anywhere from $50 to $150 OBC from our TA every time we book. This puts her in line with the internet sites

From what I have heard, for many cruise lines, the TA is not allowed to quote prices less that the cruise ship website prices. So they offer incentives such as OBC, free air, pinnacle dinners, wine packages, internet packages etc. My friends and I get anywhere from $50 to $150 OBC from our TA every time we book. This puts her in line with the internet sites

It's more that they can't advertise rates lower than the cruise line website. Once on the phone or via email they can offer fare reductions. More have gone to OBC's lately than outright fare reductions but the savings remains around 10%. Depending on your cabin category that can add up. Since we typically take tours, use the spa services, and tip back a cocktail or two we've never had trouble using up the OBC. Best we ever got out of our brick and mortar TA or a cruise line PCC was a bottle of wine and some chocolate dipped strawberries. Easy choice for us.

We've used the same TA for years to book all of our transportation - even though I've normally done my research (travel is my hobby:)) and tell her what I'd like her to do. She does offer tips and information as needed.

The fares and OBC she gets are the same as I'd get online but I have the comfort of knowing that if something goes wacky with transportation she's only a phone call away and will take care of it.

She also makes the arrangements for our insurance - good coverage at a good price including cancellation, medical, and emergency air lift home if ever needed.

I figure that if it doesn't cost me any more and makes me feel more comfortable ... it's worth it.

It's more that they can't advertise rates lower than the cruise line website. Once on the phone or via email they can offer fare reductions. More have gone to OBC's lately than outright fare reductions but the savings remains around 10%. Depending on your cabin category that can add up. Since we typically take tours, use the spa services, and tip back a cocktail or two we've never had trouble using up the OBC. Best we ever got out of our brick and mortar TA or a cruise line PCC was a bottle of wine and some chocolate dipped strawberries. Easy choice for us.

Same with us Randy. We get anywhere from 12.5%-17.5% off HAL website prices with our "barebones" discount from a major online TA. We have saved over $6,000 since we stopped booking directly with the cruise line. We have had the same agent for years who returns our calls promptly, gets the specific dining table we request, and is able to get OBC and other HAL promos.

We've used a TA for cruises also and though we don't get perks ( except for once), there have been times she has gotten us out of a jam while we were traveling (out of the country) or gone to bat with the cruise-line for us when there was an issue.

But for some of the correct details our TA isn't aware of (or the HAL rep didn't get quite right) we come here. :)

I am not sure how the system works. The OP booked a cruise thru HAL. She then transferred the booking to a TA. How or why does the TA get paid since there has already been a booking made?

Many transfer their bookings from the cruise lines to a TA for better prices. We do that because the agency we use has a penalty for cancellation. When we are sure this is the cruise we want, we'll call and transfer and they assign the booking to a TA.

With HAL, only a phone call is needed. With Celebrity, one must fill out a form.

I am not sure how the system works. The OP booked a cruise thru HAL. She then transferred the booking to a TA. How or why does the TA get paid since there has already been a booking made?

I believe it just becomes a TA booking and they get commission off it then.

"Supposed to" confused me also. I stopped using a large well known travel agency because (1) I got nothing - zip, zero from them. Paid the exact price as on HAL's website. (2) I knew more than they did about HAL, HAL ships, and HAL policies. I'm happier knowing if something isn't right that I screwed up - not someone who made money off the deal.

I have known my TA for many years and her Agency (HAL is a Preferred Partner) and I use her for all our HAL cruises. Her price has always matched the HAL website, with a few meager things thown in. We ran through every "gift" they offered.

I was annoyed that at the last HAL adjustment after final payment for our upcoming cruise we lost the ship board credit and Pinnacle Grill they gave for booking with them when we took HAL's offer of a larger amount of OBC instead of a cabin upgrade. I went with what was the best offer, which was HAL. We are still getting a Pinnacle Grill and even more OBC from HAL.

I know more about HAL than the TA, but she has the ability to call HAL and get answers for me and is very persistant. She calls with upsell offers and is a short drive from my home, so I will stick with her!

Karen

Archived