Oosterdam stuck in Seattle overnight due to storm

Milvain

Sapphire Princess, the only one left up here, is in Victoria still...was due out hours ago and I suspect she isn't going anywhere until the storm abades...She's already a bit exposed to the storm,due to Ogden Point's location.

Cheers

Sapphire Princess, the only one left up here, is in Victoria still...was due out hours ago and I suspect she isn't going anywhere until the storm abades...She's already a bit exposed to the storm,due to Ogden Point's location.

Cheers

Thanks.

Hoping all the ships and those in them remain safe through the storm.

The weather may be dreadful but we are enjoying our Oosterdam experience. Everyone has been incredibly friendly, professional and helpful. Had dinner in the Pinnacle--delicious with excellent service! I was facing away from land and often had the illusion of being underway with the whitecaps rushing by and the wind whipping the rain past us.

This is my husband's first cruise ever (and my first on HAL). We have 41 days to go but he's already talking about "next time" (and we haven't even left the dock!).

I am surprised the Pearl left Vancouver today for San Fran considering everyone else is staying put.

HI

I suspect it has to do with Bannantyne not being really operationnal for long stays, full terminal operations; but only for a ''dock'' to handle overflow once or twice a year.....

IMO, she's sailing down the Georgia strait and onto PugetSound to shelter away in Seattle until this weather ''event'' has blown away....No way she would want ( or perhaps be allowed by USCG) to sail anywhere past Cape Flaherrty and into the Pacific under the present weather scenario....Just my opinion.

Cheers

The weather may be dreadful but we are enjoying our Oosterdam experience. Everyone has been incredibly friendly, professional and helpful. Had dinner in the Pinnacle--delicious with excellent service! I was facing away from land and often had the illusion of being underway with the whitecaps rushing by and the wind whipping the rain past us.

This is my husband's first cruise ever (and my first on HAL). We have 41 days to go but he's already talking about "next time" (and we haven't even left the dock!).

Welcome to Seattle!

This is our version of a hurricane. Usually we don't have this kind of weather till later into fall / winter.

If this storm really develops, you may have the only electric power later tonight.

We are across the water from you and expect to be without power shortly.

All those beautiful trees have a bad habit of falling over in heavy winds.

I wish I were on the Lady O with you tonight enjoying a glass of wine!

HI

I suspect it has to do with Bannantyne not being really operationnal for long stays, full terminal operations; but only for a ''dock'' to handle overflow once or twice a year.....

IMO, she's sailing down the Georgia strait and onto PugetSound to shelter away in Seattle until this weather ''event'' has blown away....No way she would want ( or perhaps be allowed by USCG) to sail anywhere past Cape Flaherrty and into the Pacific under the present weather scenario....Just my opinion.

Cheers

Hi,

I might have been wrong in my original opinion....NCL Pearl is currently on a S/SW track towards Ogden Point ( pilot's drop) and Cape Flaherrty , at a little over 20kn....Looks like they're '' going for it'' full force. Perhaps the intensity of the weather system in that area is not as dangerously high as to advice against navigation.

Since HAL's ships Westerdam (Astoria) & Statendam ( SanFransisco) are on an identical routing, and use the same BC Coastal Pilots Assn, I suggest Miami ( NCL) took a roll the dice approach where Seattle (HAL) took a different view and their ships stayed in Vancouver.

It'll be interesting to see if Sapphire Princess leaves later on from OgdenPoint ( Victoria) towards her next port of call, Seattle....

Ahhh...when Mother Nature throws a fit, she really goes all out....

Cheers

Hi,

I might have been wrong in my original opinion....NCL Pearl is currently on a S/SW track towards Ogden Point ( pilot's drop) and Cape Flaherrty , at a little over 20kn....Looks like they're '' going for it'' full force. Perhaps the intensity of the weather system in that area is not as dangerously high as to advice against navigation.

Since HAL's ships Westerdam (Astoria) & Statendam ( SanFransisco) are on an identical routing, and use the same BC Coastal Pilots Assn, I suggest Miami ( NCL) took a roll the dice approach where Seattle (HAL) took a different view and their ships stayed in Vancouver.

It'll be interesting to see if Sapphire Princess leaves later on from OgdenPoint ( Victoria) towards her next port of call, Seattle....

Ahhh...when Mother Nature throws a fit, she really goes all out....

Cheers

I sure would not want to be the pilot climbing off the Pearl tonight.

the wind warnings are going to expire today around 11am and the charts on passageweather dot com show the winds calming and pressure rising around the same time. there will be a small window before the next storm which is sitting offshort. things should improve by about 1am tuesday morning along the washington coast.

Glad you are making the most of it and had a great dinner in the Pinnacle.

Love what your husband said -- cute!!

Archived