Norovirus on Summit

cherylroslyn

This is from the CDC Website. There may be some delays boarding on Saturday for deep cleaning.

Investigation Update on the Celebrity Summit

Cruise Line: Celebrity Cruise Lines

Cruise Ship: Celebrity Summit

Voyage Dates: September 21 – October 5, 2013

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 307 of 2112 (14.5%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 14 of 952 (1.5%)

Predominant symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Norovirus

Actions: In response to the outbreak, Celebrity Cruise Lines and the crew aboard the ship have taken the following actions:

• Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to their outbreak prevention and response plan,
  • Collected stool specimens from ill passengers and crew and offloaded them in Halifax, Canada for testing by Health Canada, with results positive for Norovirus
  • Making announcements to both notify onboard passengers of the outbreak and encourage case reporting,
  • Making reports of gastrointestinal illness cases to the VSP twice daily
  • Consulting with CDC on plans for:
    • Passenger notification procedures and turnaround plans scheduled to take place in Bayonne, New Jersey on 5 October,
    • Disembarkation plans for active cases, terminal and transport infection control procedures.

VSP is working with Health Canada officials as the ship sails in Canada on its way to Bayonne, New Jersey (arrival in the US is scheduled for October 5, 2013). VSP is providing remote monitoring and support from Atlanta, GA and is planning a field response. VSP will send one Epidemiologist and one Environmental Health Officer to meet the ship and conduct and epidemiologic investigation, targeted environmental health assessment, and monitor the sanitation procedures onboard prior to the embarkation of new passengers on October 5, 2013 in Bayonne, New Jersey. Specimens were collected and offloaded in Halifax, Canada for testing in Health Canada’s laboratory, confirming the cause of the outbreak is norovirus.

We are also on the Oct.5 sailing but we plan on arriving about 11 AM.

Happily we are in the penthouse, so I don't think it matters much what time we arrive. Check in should be quick any time, at least it has been in the past. We will keep checking before we head over.

Summit scheduled to be here in Charlottetown This Wednesday Oct 2 along with two other ships. (Silver Whisper and HaL Maasdam) Back on Sept 18 HAL Eurodam and Maasdam were both here and one of these ship were not allowing their passengers to disembark in Charlottetown. Hope this does not happen with Summit.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Happily we are in the penthouse, so I don't think it matters much what time we arrive. Check in should be quick any time, at least it has been in the past. We will keep checking before we head over.

It won't matter what cabin category you have... if they delay boarding you'll be waiting, too.

"VSP will send one Epidemiologist and one Environmental Health Officer to meet the ship and conduct and epidemiologic investigation, targeted environmental health assessment, and monitor the sanitation procedures onboard prior to the embarkation of new passengers on October 5, 2013 in Bayonne, New Jersey."

I was on the previous Summit cruise, 9/7 - 9/21. We had sick passengers. Our roll call reported illness beginning the second week. Some went home and became sick there within three days. Hopefully, a full disinfection on Oct 5 will get it under control.

There is always a crew person who offers hand sanitizer at the entrance to the buffet. Many people fail to sanitize. Also, people don't necessarily use the sanitizer at the entrance to the MDR. I've never seen sanitizer near hand railings or at the elevators.

Would mandatory use of sanitizers make an outbreak of noro virus less likely?

Shaco

This was sent out to agents that have people on the 10/5 sailing:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your clients booked on the Friday, October 5th, 2013 sailing of Celebrity Summit. Please provide this information, as soon as possible, to your clients booked on this sailing.

During Celebrity Summit’s last sailing, a number of guests onboard experienced gastrointestinal illness. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your client’s cruise.

Due to the additional sanitizing, we will begin allowing guests into the terminal for check at 2:00 p.m. and continue until 6:00 p.m. We apologize for this delay to your client’s check-in and boarding process. We are also sanitizing guest staterooms, and they will be available to guests at approximately 5:00 p.m. onwards. Once guests board the ship, they can explore public areas, open decks and lounges and enjoy lunch, until their stateroom is ready. The sailing time is anticipated to be at 8:00 p.m., with no expected changes to the itinerary.

According to health experts, as many as 300 million people worldwide are affected by norovirus each year. Only the common cold is more prevalent. However, we would prefer if none of our guests became ill. Therefore, we ask for your assistance in communicating to your clients the advice of medical experts who tell us that the best way to prevent gastrointestinal illnesses is to simply wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after using the bathroom and before eating anything. We also recommend that they use the complimentary sanitizing gel that is available at various locations onboard. If your client has experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days, we ask that they please consider rescheduling their cruise.

Thank you for your assistance in notifying your clients about the change in check-in and boarding time of their October 5th sailing. We hope all the information in this letter helps you and your clients understand the importance we at Celebrity Cruises place on the health and safety of every one of our guests and crew members. Like you, we want to ensure that every guest’s cruise is a fun, relaxing and healthy experience. This is why we are taking these additional measures.

This was sent out to agents that have people on the 10/5 sailing:

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your clients booked on the Friday, October 5th, 2013 sailing of Celebrity Summit. Please provide this information, as soon as possible, to your clients booked on this sailing.

During Celebrity Summit’s last sailing, a number of guests onboard experienced gastrointestinal illness. In an abundance of caution, we are conducting enhanced sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal to help prevent any illness from affecting your client’s cruise.

Due to the additional sanitizing, we will begin allowing guests into the terminal for check at 2:00 p.m. and continue until 6:00 p.m. We apologize for this delay to your client’s check-in and boarding process. We are also sanitizing guest staterooms, and they will be available to guests at approximately 5:00 p.m. onwards. Once guests board the ship, they can explore public areas, open decks and lounges and enjoy lunch, until their stateroom is ready. The sailing time is anticipated to be at 8:00 p.m., with no expected changes to the itinerary.

According to health experts, as many as 300 million people worldwide are affected by norovirus each year. Only the common cold is more prevalent. However, we would prefer if none of our guests became ill. Therefore, we ask for your assistance in communicating to your clients the advice of medical experts who tell us that the best way to prevent gastrointestinal illnesses is to simply wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after using the bathroom and before eating anything. We also recommend that they use the complimentary sanitizing gel that is available at various locations onboard. If your client has experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days, we ask that they please consider rescheduling their cruise.

Thank you for your assistance in notifying your clients about the change in check-in and boarding time of their October 5th sailing. We hope all the information in this letter helps you and your clients understand the importance we at Celebrity Cruises place on the health and safety of every one of our guests and crew members. Like you, we want to ensure that every guest’s cruise is a fun, relaxing and healthy experience. This is why we are taking these additional measures.

Thank you for this posting. We will definitely not head to the ship until after 2:00.

There is always a crew person who offers hand sanitizer at the entrance to the buffet. Many people fail to sanitize. Also, people don't necessarily use the sanitizer at the entrance to the MDR. I've never seen sanitizer near hand railings or at the elevators.

Would mandatory use of sanitizers make an outbreak of noro virus less likely?

Shaco

No the sanitizer has zero effect on noro, in order to have any effect on a virus it would need to be a chlorine based sanitizer which they do not use, the only thing that can effect noro is good hygiene, people need to wash their hands properly with soap in order to destroy the virus.

From the CDC on the prevention of Noro...

"Practice proper hand hygiene

Wash your hands carefully with soap and water, especially after using the toilet and changing diapers and always before eating or preparing food. If soap and water aren't available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. These alcohol-based products can quickly reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations, but they are not a substitute for washing with soap and water."

The gel isn't the answer... but it's better than nothing since you have no way of knowing if the passengers are washing properly.

No the sanitizer has zero effect on noro, in order to have any effect on a virus it would need to be a chlorine based sanitizer which they do not use, the only thing that can effect noro is good hygiene, people need to wash their hands properly with soap in order to destroy the virus.

When I was onboard the Solstice this spring during the outbreak there, we were informed that the gel is 'specially formulated' to kill noro. Don't know if that is true...just reporting what we were told.

We were lucky to not get sick...but a trip from our cabin to the dining room resulted in at least 4 stops at hand sanitizing stations, then the bathroom right before the dining room to wash our hands...only to be sanitized on the way through the door again!

Of course...the message of good hygeine is very important, and something that should be practised wherever you are.

(PS...the naturalist onboard the Solstice kept telling us the gel was useless...in the middle of an outbreak, with 5 days at sea. Not very responsible I thought)

Investigation Update on the Celebrity Summit

Voyage Dates: September 21 – October 5, 2013

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 307 of 2112 (14.5%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 14 of 952 (1.5%)

Near 15% of passengers affected (plus those who did not report) is a significant outbreak.

I hope that the next sailing will be free of an outbreak but be prepared.

This problem seems to hang around even though at much lower levels for several cruises.

My DH got sick on our September 7th Summit cruise. He woke up the morning of day 10 with the noro virus. He never gets sick and he was sick for 3 days.

I was shocked that Celebrity did not seem to aggressively handle the situation since others were also sick. You could still serve yourself at the buffet - hot and cold dishes - and there was no one at the entrance of the buffet or the MDR most nights "encouraging" you use hand sanitizers.

They did sanitize our room but that was it. I did not see them doing anything to the public areas.

Not sure if the virus came on Bayonne, but I really think it was picked up in one of the ports of call and brought on as no one seemed to fall ill until day 10 and after.

I am very impressed with Celebrity. I just received an automated phone message advising me of the peoblem and telling me the new check in times. Very efficient !!

We were on a sailing with a bad outbreak and witnessed the start of the sanitizing process. All of the paper goods, bed skirts, decorative pillows, etc were removed the night before the cruise ended. They do a VERY thorough cleaning job. I am not concerened at all about taking this cruise !!

I am very impressed with Celebrity. I just received an automated phone message advising me of the peoblem and telling me the new check in times. Very efficient !!

We were on a sailing with a bad outbreak and witnessed the start of the sanitizing process. All of the paper goods, bed skirts, decorative pillows, etc were removed the night before the cruise ended. They do a VERY thorough cleaning job. I am not concerened at all about taking this cruise !!

I have to admit, it makes me a bit nervous as I've had noro in the past and well lets just say i lost 15lbs in 2 days...it was insanity. I had it on land, however, not at sea, after a flight to St Louis.

I do feel better, however, knowing that X will be doing a deep cleaning. Hopefully that will rid the ship of it - but i wonder- how do they clean places like the main theatre? Do they shampoo all the seats??? Or is it moreso cabins and things people touch more with their hands like railings, doors, etc?

I have to admit, it makes me a bit nervous as I've had noro in the past and well lets just say i lost 15lbs in 2 days...it was insanity. I had it on land, however, not at sea, after a flight to St Louis.

I do feel better, however, knowing that X will be doing a deep cleaning. Hopefully that will rid the ship of it - but i wonder- how do they clean places like the main theatre? Do they shampoo all the seats??? Or is it moreso cabins and things people touch more with their hands like railings, doors, etc?

They do not shampoo the seats, but do thoroughly clean the arm rests, all railings, all doors, and thoroughly clean all rooms and dining places.

I checked on the cruise that left after ours mentioned above returned and had the cleaning and the incidence of the virus was as close to zero as possible. They do a great job, under CDC regulations.

The only issue could arise if it is brought onboard again by a new guest...........

They do not shampoo the seats, but do thoroughly clean the arm rests, all railings, all doors, and thoroughly clean all rooms and dining places.

I checked on the cruise that left after ours mentioned above returned and had the cleaning and the incidence of the virus was as close to zero as possible. They do a great job, under CDC regulations.

The only issue could arise if it is brought onboard again by a new guest...........

All cruisers should wash their hands several times a day......wash hands while silently singing the Happy Birthday Tune so the time washing will be enough to kill any lil noro viruses.

Thats what happened in Charleston with the Mercury a few years ago....guests kept brining it on because Charleston was suffering from an outbreak....that lasted for weeks.......and the poor Mercury and its crew and passengers really suffered

Ugh... I'm bringing my four year old son on the October 19 sailing. Hope it's gone by then.

It will not be gone.... :( The virus is everywhere and very difficult to kill. It just requires the right conditions to flare up at anyplace and anytime. It just shows up in cruise ships more often because of the crowded and close conditions that makes it easier to spread quickly..... It shows up in your daily life often also, but we just write it off as something we ate and it goes away in a day or so.

Just wash hands often, avoid touching face with fingers and grabbing the common things that everybody grabs such as staircase handrails, door handles, etc....

Thats what happened in Charleston with the Mercury a few years ago....guests kept brining it on because Charleston was suffering from an outbreak....that lasted for weeks.......and the poor Mercury and its crew and passengers really suffered

We were on the first Mercury cruise out of Charleston that DIDN'T have any noro virus cases. We were also delayed boarding until around 4:00 PM so they could fully disinfect the ship. The entire cruise all we heard was "wash your hands" every where you went. But it worked no one got sick.

Still don't know why Celebrity didn't clean the ship better after our September 7th cruise was over.

We were on the first Mercury cruise out of Charleston that DIDN'T have any noro virus cases. We were also delayed boarding until around 4:00 PM so they could fully disinfect the ship. The entire cruise all we heard was "wash your hands" every where you went. But it worked no one got sick.

Still don't know why Celebrity didn't clean the ship better after our September 7th cruise was over.

It hadn't reached the proper level pursuant to CDC guidline.....

Archived