Singles to get Double Points

You make very valid points.

You can bet I will be checking single supplements on all future bookings. Two of everything is a good thing. No waiting for the bathroom. Talking connecting cabins here. As previously mentioned 2 solo balcony cabins for less than the price of one for double occupancy can be found. Rare but none the less out there.

I would think this should only apply when the full supplement or something very close is paid. Not 110%. Just my 2 cents.

Those 110% single supplements are few and far between, and only for cruises that are not selling well. Thus it is to Royal Caribbeans advantage to collect the extra 20% rather than sail with an empty cabin. So they give up a few points - big deal. Airlines credit cards often have special promotions where extra miles can be earned.

Any system can be manipulated. The old system could easily be manipulated. The new systems could easily be manipulate and now this change allows for manipulation.

There is no perfect system.

BTW - Princess also gives double points to solo cruisers. So Royal Caribbean is not the first one to come up with this system.

Also, I doubt that people cruise for points. I'm not going to spend double the money just so I can get double the points. The airlines allow people who book air to pay extra for extra miles - I don't pay the extra.

Like I said, those bought airline points are not applied to loyalty level.

RCI isn't requiring double spending on cabins for double points.

Apparently you haven't met point chasers who DO cruise for the points. I have. Some of them are self proclaimed point chasers. More power to them. :D

How was the previous system manipulated. (meaning the system of last month, not the old cruise credit system.)

Gina

Those 110% single supplements are few and far between, and only for cruises that are not selling well. Thus it is to Royal Caribbeans advantage to collect the extra 20% rather than sail with an empty cabin. So they give up a few points - big deal. Airlines credit cards often have special promotions where extra miles can be earned.

Absolutely not true this time of year. Cheaper rooms have very low to almost no single supplement. I just got one for $7 a day. I know someone who got one for $7 a week....that's $1 a day. Someone around here claimed to get one last week with no supplement. Start checking prices on cruises out of FL and ocean voyages - interior and ocean view - and you'll see how few and far between they are NOT.

Gina

I would offer that the 150% is the full supplement for those who qualify.

I agree full overflow lounges must be their goal.

Now back to looking for some low single supplements.:D

What most people mean by full supplement is 200%. Pay double, get double points. Of course for those who qualify it is 150% some of the time. There are months and sailings that don't qualify of course.

Gina

But the points you buy on airlines go towards flights only. They are not applied to your loyalty level/status.

Gina

There is no prefect system.

Is it fair that I will early fourteen points and will cruise for fourteen days while paying the same as someone else booking the same cabin on the same ship paying the amount as I am but only getting to cruise for seven days and getting only seven points just because they booked the cruise at a more popular time?

Is is fair that some can gain an extra 2000 points per month because they can charge their business expense to their credit card, and then get reimbursed, while I can't do the same?

Is it fair that someone who travels for business get to use the miles for personal use while someone who never travels for business never gets that chance?

Was it fair that solo cruisers paying double got half the number of points that a husband and wife got while paying the same amount for the cabin next door?

Is if fair at amusement parks that by paying extra someone can skip the lines while a family that traveled 300 miles has to wait in an hour long line because they cannot afford to pay extra for all four people?

Is it fair that people living in California have to pay extra to fly so they can cruise on Royal Caribbean while people in Florida do not?

Is life fair?

Again, I post as I read. I am not going to read the entire thread and then go back and figure out what posts to respond to. I provided you with the correct information. I don't care if someone beat me to it.

Just an observation, this strategy clogs up the boards with unnecessary information, and it makes you look like you aren't paying attention, which, in a way, you admit is the case.

If you insist on replying to posts as you find them, without any further investigation to determine that your reply adds value to the discussion, might I suggest you read the threads backwards? At least then you will see the last information, rather than the first, about a particular subject. This might increase the chance that your contribution is helpful.

Any reduction of redundant information benefits everyone. Well, I suppose except for your post count.

JMHO.

Theron

How was the previous system manipulated. (meaning the system of last month, not the old cruise credit system.)

Gina

Explorer of the Seas - November 1, 2014. Fourteen days for the price of seven.

This is true of most repositioning cruises, they cost less per day than normal cruises, thus costing less per point, if that is the way you are evaluating things.

Or cruise during the summer and pay 50% more per point than someone cruising during a less popular time, if you are evaluating based on cost per point.

Are people really chasing points, or are they just picking the most economical way to cruise. As I said, I'm not going to pay double for a better cabin just because I can get twice the points. I'll pay double for a better cabin if I need or want the room or the view, but not because I can get more points.

Absolutely not true this time of year. Cheaper rooms have very low to almost no single supplement. I just got one for $7 a day. I know someone who got one for $7 a week....that's $1 a day. Someone around here claimed to get one last week with no supplement. Start checking prices on cruises out of FL and ocean voyages - interior and ocean view - and you'll see how few and far between they are NOT.

Gina

You live in Florida, you don't have to pay to fly to cruise. I live in California, I can't cruise on Royal Caribbean without flying. I think you should get only half the points because it cost you less to cruise than I do. You are manipulating the system. That is not fair.

Just an observation, this strategy clogs up the boards with unnecessary information, and it makes you look like you aren't paying attention, which, in a way, you admit is the case.

If you insist on replying to posts as you find them, without any further investigation to determine that your reply adds value to the discussion, might I suggest you read the threads backwards? At least then you will see the last information, rather than the first, about a particular subject. This might increase the chance that your contribution is helpful.

Any reduction of redundant information benefits everyone. Well, I suppose except for your post count.

JMHO.

Theron

That doesn't work because then I am reading the answers before I see the question.

I've tried reading the entire thread first and then responding. It didn't work out too well.

But I'll tell you what - you stop all the duplicate questions and then I'll go back to reading the entire tread before responding. Deal?

Explorer of the Seas - November 1, 2014. Fourteen days for the price of seven.

This is true of most repositioning cruises, they cost less per day than normal cruises, thus costing less per point, if that is the way you are evaluating things.

Or cruise during the summer and pay 50% more per point than someone cruising during a less popular time, if you are evaluating based on cost per point.

Are people really chasing points, or are they just picking the most economical way to cruise. As I said, I'm not going to pay double for a better cabin just because I can get twice the points. I'll pay double for a better cabin if I need or want the room or the view, but not because I can get more points.

Paying the asking price isn't manipulating the system. :confused:

Shuffling people around in various ways by booking and sleeping differently is when it's done for benefits or points. j

Yes, as I've said before there are point chasers. Anyone who cruises often enough runs into them. And yes, I've actually had people say, "I'm a point chaser" this cruise was so cheap I booked it for the points. This isn't to say they aren't having fun on the cruise. Now they will likely have double the fun. :p

Gina

That doesn't work because then I am reading the answers before I see the question.

I've tried reading the entire thread first and then responding. It didn't work out too well.

But I'll tell you what - you stop all the duplicate questions and then I'll go back to reading the entire tread before responding. Deal?

That's the point. If you see that the answer has been given, you save everyone else the time and bandwidth it takes to read your duplicate answer.

I don't know what you mean by "all the duplicate questions".

Theron

This is why I'm opposed to it. A temporary promotion is one thing, although I always thought the December celebration should have been open to all, not just D and above. But at least it wasn't permanent.

After RCI changed the way the points are done, changing from credits, it seemed to level the playing field for lack of any other way to put it.

Now it's not just singles who can easily benefit at a low cost, but families can very easily manipulate the system. No, not on all cruises. But I'm sure you can figure out how they can book as easily as I can in order to get 3 points a day. It's not quite so easy for couples but it certainly can be done.

Your logic is a bit flawed since a same household family enjoys the benefits of the highest level on a cruise. After my solo TA this month, my points will be high enough for D+ and in December my wife will also enjoy those benefits when she sails with me.

I somewhat see your point; but as for manipulating - any system can be manipulated. Anyone that can afford single supplements across multiple cabins can have at it...I spend a lot more for my cabin and some recognition of that is welcome...:o

And for clarification - Diamonds in December was eliminated two years ago when it became "December Celebration" and I was told by C&A on board last year's xmas cruise they would not be doing it again...

Anyway...have great cruises everyone! The haters will start even more soon...This thread has outlived a lot of it's informative usefulness but I do appreciate the good info it has spread...have fun with the haters....this one is gone from subscriptions....peace out......

Edited by JeffKoz

You live in Florida, you don't have to pay to fly to cruise. I live in California, I can't cruise on Royal Caribbean without flying. I think you should get only half the points because it cost you less to cruise than I do. You are manipulating the system. That is not fair.

Not really. Apparently you don't know me. We have VERY few cruises out of FL. VERY few. We went to the Baltics, Alaska (twice), and Australia this year along with San Juan. Last year it was the Mediterranean, Alaska, Australia and San Juan. There have been a few short weekend cruises out of FL but not many. We used to fly back and forth to California a few times a year when they had ships there. We prefer the non-Florida destinations. Next year our caribbean cruise is out of New Orleans. We almost always combine a land trip with a cruise.

For what we paid for our Baltic cruise, I should get at the very least quadruple points. :D

Gina

That's the point. If you see that the answer has been given, you save everyone else the time and bandwidth it takes to read your duplicate answer.

I don't know what you mean by "all the duplicate questions".

Theron

How many threads about tipping are asking the same question?

How many threads about about what to wear in the MDR are asking the same questions?

How many threads about smoking are saying the same thing?

How many threads about children in the solarium are saying the same thing?

How many threads about babies in the pool are saying the same thing?

The list goes on, and on and on. I've learning to just skip over things that don't interest me or don't deserve a reply. Many others might benefit from doing the same. There is even a way to put people on the ignore list if you want.

The bottom line is, there is no rule against responding to a post in a responsible manner. If you think there should be one, let Laura know.

Your logic is a bit flawed since a same household family enjoys the benefits of the highest level on a cruise. After my solo TA this month, my points will be high enough for D+ and in December my wife will also enjoy those benefits when she sails with me.

I somewhat see your point; but as for manipulating - any system can be manipulated. Anyone that can afford single supplements across multiple cabins can have at it...I spend a lot more for my cabin and some recognition of that is welcome...:o

And for clarification - Diamonds in December was eliminated two years ago when it became "December Celebration" and I was told by C&A on board last year's xmas cruise they would not be doing it again...

Anyway...have great cruises everyone! The haters will start even more soon...This thread has outlived a lot of it's informative usefulness but I do appreciate the good info it has spread...have fun with the haters....this one is gone from subscriptions....peace out......

You really don't understand how to do it. Maybe there aren't as many people as I thought we are capable of manipulating the system by doubling up. I very well know that they highest person shares the status - as the mother of some who got mine before the age of 18. Do you really not see how to get that extra point per cruise night and move along more quickly to the next level? :eek:

I guess I've met so many people who try to work out getting the extra amenities, and get friends into the CL by cross-booking that I assumed wrongly they would do the same for extra points. Maybe not. Or maybe they just can't do the math.

Gina

How many threads about tipping are asking the same question?

How many threads about about what to wear in the MDR are asking the same questions?

How many threads about smoking are saying the same thing?

How many threads about children in the solarium are saying the same thing?

How many threads about babies in the pool are saying the same thing?

The list goes on, and on and on. I've learning to just skip over things that don't interest me or don't deserve a reply. Many others might benefit from doing the same. There is even a way to put people on the ignore list if you want.

The bottom line is, there is no rule against responding to a post in a responsible manner. If you think there should be one, let Laura know.

Ah, I see now, but that is completely different. Those are different people starting a new conversation.

I'm not purporting to tell you or anyone what they can or cannot do, I'm just providing a friendly suggestion that may help your posts add value, rather than detract. Take it, leave it, I really don't care, but you are what you post. People who post mostly insignificant information soon have that reputation.

Theron

Considering he's always in suites, with this new policy, Mario's points are going to explode!!!

Can anyone else picture #'s 2 and 3 sitting around the table, heads about to explode, trying to figure out how to convert their upcoming cruises to single supplements? It is all about the points.

Considering he's always in suites, with this new policy, Mario's points are going to explode!!!

I have wondered if the policy was created privately for his benefit. Wait! Not for points, but to allow him to take a little bit of time off and retain his level. Numbers 2 and 3 can't catch him even if he's not on board all year with the new point system. Don't you think he must be getting sick of living on a ship? There has to be a lot he's missing by not spending at least a few weeks a year in real life. They like him as number 1 for publicity at this point.

Just a thought. Who knows really what was behind this current change which still hasn't been shown in writing. I still wonder if there is some fine print we don't know about.

Gina

I have wondered if the policy was created privately for his benefit. Wait! Not for points, but to allow him to take a little bit of time off and retain his level. Numbers 2 and 3 can't catch him even if he's not on board all year with the new point system. Don't you think he must be getting sick of living on a ship? There has to be a lot he's missing by not spending at least a few weeks a year in real life. They like him as number 1 for publicity at this point.

Just a thought. Who knows really what was behind this current change which still hasn't been shown in writing. I still wonder if there is some fine print we don't know about.

Gina

I'm guessing that the powers that be are reading these posts and will come up with some fine print soon enough.

Can anyone else picture #'s 2 and 3 sitting around the table, heads about to explode, trying to figure out how to convert their upcoming cruises to single supplements? It is all about the points.

But see, I don't think they can do it - or catch Mario. The ability to work the system isn't really available year round. Some times of years have no bargains. Or...they can just start paying more for 2 rooms. :D I do think some started booking junior suites regularly once they found out they wouldn't get the points for the free upgrades from balcony rooms. You never know. :)

Gina

But see, I don't think they can do it - or catch Mario. The ability to work the system isn't really available year round. Some times of years have no bargains. Or...they can just start paying more for 2 rooms. :D I do think some started booking junior suites regularly once they found out they wouldn't get the points for the free upgrades from balcony rooms. You never know. :)

Gina

I agree thus the "heads exploding" comment.

I agree Mario is a far better PR machine than a couple of the others.

They like him as number 1 for publicity at this point.

Ain't that the truth. Mario is pretty cool, so is a good image as the top cruiser. People who don't know him can hang out with him and never know who he is becuase he's not always boasting about it.