Joggers

ellbon

First off iget out of bed and have taken pictures on my cell hpoen to show Philip and the front desk. .so they are there. being woken out of a sound sleep befrpoe 7 am is just rude.

the vibration goes down to deck 8.. i know the difference from a pounding runner vs say moving deck chairs after the White Night party.

my goal on starting this thread was to get Bill to talk to mia to set rules for jogging.

guess none of you jog and pound. .also people jog at 6 pm too.. noon etc so why pre breakfast.

Is the noise just periodic - every few minutes ? or continual ?

If spasmodic then could it be a connecting stanchion that links through from deck 10 to deck 8 ? Are you directly under the jogging track on deck 10 ?

Yes, I meant deck 10. Sorry - I was going from memory and reading into what others were posting. I thought the issue was being under the gym, but, man, 2 decks down?

And yes, actually, I do not pound when I run or walk. I'm sure there is some noise or sound, but if I had a dollar for every time another runner came up behind me and said 'wow, you don't look like you're working/you're really quiet' I'd have a nice pair of new running shoes.

While it is reasonable to have noise limitations, I don't think limiting joggers from the best running time of the day when they're 2 decks up fits within that. Just like it wouldn't be reasonable to tell the theater not to have a late show because of the people above or below it who want to go to bed early.

I will probably never book a suite for exactly the reason that they are under deck 8, public areas. I don't expect that the world will stop if I were to book there, so I know to avoid it, just as I avoid cruise lines that allow smoking on balconies and/or too many public areas.

My $0.02.

Is the noise just periodic - every few minutes ? or continual ?

If spasmodic then could it be a connecting stanchion that links through from deck 10 to deck 8 ? Are you directly under the jogging track on deck 10 ?

not every morning but when i go up to deck 9 to look it is always the same person.. the noise-seems they need to be over head on the port side once they move on it stops and stsrts again when overhead.

yes i am directly under it. i would switch decks if there were suites on deck 7. i do ont need an owners suite.

what is a connecrting stanchion? is that fixable? i know the ship is older and the builders thought higher meant bigger cabins. i am on for weeks at a time and really enjoy the extra space in a small suite.

i started this thread for ideas and you are the first person who came up with a good one. thanks

not every morning but when i go up to deck 9 to look it is always the same person.. the noise-seems they need to be over head on the port side once they move on it stops and stsrts again when overhead.

yes i am directly under it. i would switch decks if there were suites on deck 7. i do ont need an owners suite.

what is a connecrting stanchion? is that fixable? i know the ship is older and the builders thought higher meant bigger cabins. i am on for weeks at a time and really enjoy the extra space in a small suite.

i started this thread for ideas and you are the first person who came up with a good one. thanks

Sorry,wrong post

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything that can be done. The stanchion is a metal support that supports the inner edge of jogging track from the pool deck and this may carry the sound. Only suggestion is to request that early morning joggers use the outside edge of the track (which may just transmit the sound to your balcony)- or to book a stateroom not immediately under the track ....

I did see in the original post the OP said lots of guests were affected by the issue, it would be good if others who have recently been on Deck 8 posts their views.

We will feed back after we get back next month and we certainly have a very light sleeper with us

We were in cabin 8035 on our first cruise in April on Quest and I can confirm we were also woken by the noise of people RUNNING on deck 10! I think joggers and walkers possibly cannot be heard, but if someone is running or "pounding" around the deck it is definitely noticeable. You hear it every time they pass overhead and if that person is a really keen runner it can go on for a long time! After 11 days of being woken up at 5.30 am, I must say we were getting a bit hacked off! We made sure our next 2 cruises were deck 7.

For any future cruisers who may be planning to book Azamara, you should look carefully at the deck plans and be sure not to book cabins on deck 8 which are directly under the deck 10 running track unless you really like an early wake up call every day of your cruise!

I guess what I don't understand is that the OP has said often on these boards how many times she has sailed on Azamara and that she stays in the same cabin which she has recommended to others via this board. All of a sudden she hears a jogger and it's a big enough issue to start a thread on it. Perhaps that jogger just had very heavy feet. Funnily enough on the cruise I have just come back from on Celebrity Equinox I think I may have had the same person in the cabin above me. Quickly nicknamed "Fairy Feet" I don't think I have ever heard footsteps so loud from a cabin above me. That was chalked up to bad luck and I'd book the same cabin again. As for me, in an Azamara CC suite I'm sticking to a cabin under the loos!

Phil

.Funnily enough on the cruise I have just come back from on Celebrity Equinox I think I may have had the same person in the cabin above me. Quickly nicknamed "Fairy Feet" I don't think I have ever heard footsteps so loud from a cabin above me. That was chalked up to bad luck and I'd book the same cabin again. As for me, in an Azamara CC suite I'm sticking to a cabin under the loos!

Phil

Yes I agree it was probably one of the "fairy feet" club who woke us up on that cruise but it wouldn't deter us from cruising with Azamara. However we would choose deck 7 in future.

The strange thing is, on the "White Night" of our first cruise I had a headache and went to bed a little early. Obviously there was a lot of noise on deck 9 with the music and the dancing but I didn't hear a thing in my cabin on deck 8. Yet the following morning we could hear fairy feet on deck 10 so clearly it felt like he was on our ceiling! The running track on Azamara is very small compared to the larger ships so he "passed over" our cabin many many times. Once you are awake it is impossible to ignore!

We didn't feel the need to officially complain and even managed to laugh about it at the start but after 11 days we felt our sense of humour waning a bit. Just wanted to sympathise with the OP because unless you hear it for yourself you just wouldn't believe it!

I think to keep the information up to date and to pick up any differences between the two ships, it would be really good if all the contributors here with first hand experience (positive and negative) could go to the cabins thread (if they have not already done so) and give the information there especially the "yes or no" to the question "would you book this room again" as that helps others gauge if the problem is temporary or permanent.

I try and keep that thread up to date but I only include info posted there and do not trawl the other threads and "interpret" views

To those like Excited of Harpenden and Lottie who do their feedback after each trip - thanks!

I think to keep the information up to date and to pick up any differences between the two ships, it would be really good if all the contributors here with first hand experience (positive and negative) could go to the cabins thread (if they have not already done so) and give the information there especially the "yes or no" to the question "would you book this room again" as that helps others gauge if the problem is temporary or permanent.

I try and keep that thread up to date but I only include info posted there and do not trawl the other threads and "interpret" views

To those like Excited of Harpenden and Lottie who do their feedback after each trip - thanks!

I have not actually looked at the Cabins thread and didn't realise you had set up this list. It's brilliant. I will add my cabin comments for the last three cruises and will continue to update.

Yes I agree it was probably one of the "fairy feet" club who woke us up on that cruise but it wouldn't deter us from cruising with Azamara. However we would choose deck 7 in future.

made you move your cabin to another deck.

The strange thing is, on the "White Night" of our first cruise I had a headache and went to bed a little early. Obviously there was a lot of noise on deck 9 with the music and the dancing but I didn't hear a thing in my cabin on deck 8.

would love to know ypur cabin number!! i stay in once and have left alte and ypu do hear the vibration of dancers.

Yet the following morning we could hear fairy feet on deck 10 so clearly it felt like he was on our ceiling! The running track on Azamara is very small compared to the larger ships so he "passed over" our cabin many many times. Once you are awake it is impossible to ignore!

thank you!! specially at 6 to 630.

We didn't feel the need to officially complain and even managed to laugh about it at the start but after 11 days we felt our sense of humour waning a bit. Just wanted to sympathise with the OP because unless you hear it for yourself you just wouldn't believe it!

sop iam not the only one! When I sailed on the Journey i never notice it but then realized it was cold in the mornings in most ports of call.

i did notice it a lot winter of 2013 but not every cruise. longer ones less of a problem. wondered why? but on the cruises that was a problem it landed in the dailys.

This summer two two 12 days cruises i never notice it. then i did three 7 day cruises and it happened over and over again. are the cruisers younger and decide to run while others can no longer do it!

Also as pretty as the deck the same joggers are out there while we sail in! there is a lovely gym open at 6 am to.

i do see or hear joggers late afternoon or befroe dinner while in my bathtub . .but then i have no right to complain.i love walking the track before dinner but not before ae dock.

Robin, I guess you have never been a jogger/runner but it is much different to run on a treadmill than on the street or a track. Most joggers/runners I know including my DH love to run in colder weather .....much easier than running in hot weather. Before my foot injury that ended my running days, I ran 4 days a week all year long....even had special traction devices for my sneakers for the ice and snow. The best things about being a runner are the fresh air, the sunrise and you can eat what ever you want!

Many people do not realize this. but living as a guest on deck 8 you can hear them at very weird times. This past winter i woke up from a deep sleep from 1230 am to 230 am and other days at 6 to 630.

At the time Philip took care of it.

This summer I complained again several times between 6 am and 7 am.. nothing was ever done about this. Philip said it would make it in the daily's but it never was.

i feel I was blown off. they put things in about smokers and leaving stuff on chairs for hours and it still happend. but the people on deck 8 lost sleep and no one cared.

It is a little late to blame the builder of the ship but there should be hours of no jogging. from about 11 pm to 8 am is fair.

i ama very light sleeper and i get punish daily for that.. i called my butler a lot for breakfast earlier than needed or wanted due to the joggers.

Time Azamara sets rules for joggers.

Sorry ellbon, I like to read your posts but do not agree with you on this at all. We are runners and go to the jogging track at 6:00am. I believe it is on Deck 10, so if you can hear joggers that far away, you should choose a cabin on a lower deck.

The idea that no one should use the track until 8:00am makes no sense. We are cruising for the destinations and by 8:00am we have jogged, gone to the gym, showered, had breakfast and are off the ship (unless it s a sea day). I think the majority of port arrivals are at 8:00am. At home my DH goes running at 3:30am and by 8:00am half of his day is over, so 6:00am is late for him, but he is on vacation.

Additionally, our next cruise is in Southeast Asia where it would be too hot to jog later, even on a sea day.

I am also not convinced all of the noise is from joggers. Not necessarily Azamara, but more recently on Celebrity there were quite a few people walking around the track drinking coffee and talking loudly early in the morning, and some were heavy footed.

As a lite sleeper and constant traveler, I've found that a combination of ear plugs PLUS an I phone free app called "Sleep Pillow" (I'm partial to the rainfall) will block out the noisiest party animals in the hotel hall in Las Vegas; the bass in the night club below me, and the street noise in Sao Paolo Brazil as well as as airplanes taking off at 3:00 am.

FT

I phone free app called "Sleep Pillow" (I'm partial to the rainfall)

FT

I have the "White Noise" app on my android. I use it, too. But I find ambien also helpful....don't need it at home, but I'm a very fitful sleeper on the road without it.

Boots are ok. It's those clogs I worry about;)

Hey, no jokes about the Dutch and their clogs please! I'd like to wear them when I go tap dancing at 4 am every morning! :D

Seriously though, I can't believe we've filled 3 pages about hearing noise from deck 10 jogging on deck 8. People who are light sleepers have my deepest symphaties, but their problem should not become everyone else's problem. If you chose to vacation with 750+ others, there will always be some noise. And yes, jogging is an early morning activity.

Boots are ok. It's those clogs I worry about;)

Phil

Can we be certain it isn't a troupe of Morris Dancers practicing for the next pagan festival?

On a more serious note, I imagine now that the problem may be limited to some seriously heavy landers. And, for their sake, in order to avoid injury they should work on lightening the foot strike.

Regardless, it's hard to see how the ship's officers could establish a general policy that would deal with this anomalous problem. As many suggest, Deck 7 may be the answer.

I have the "White Noise" app on my android. I use it, too. But I find ambien also helpful....don't need it at home, but I'm a very fitful sleeper on the road without it.

I love Ambien but i find doctors do not like giving it out.. Zantex works for me with ear plugs but not with the heavy footed joggers..

i sleep with my window open at home. not sure if i can get a 10 week supply of those pills. i did have some with me and used them the nigt before a sea day. .what a waste but it was worse on a port day.. funny never had this problem the journey. hmmm! do you think there a lose something on the ship.

I love Ambien but i find doctors do not like giving it out.. Zantex works for me with ear plugs but not with the heavy footed joggers..

i sleep with my window open at home. not sure if i can get a 10 week supply of those pills. i did have some with me and used them the nigt before a sea day. .what a waste but it was worse on a port day.. funny never had this problem the journey. hmmm! do you think there a lose something on the ship.

Robin, don't take this in the wrong way. I'm being serious here. Don't want to ruffle any feathers?

When are you disembarking the ship? I'm sure we could make arrangements for you to occupy my stateroom and I yours.....that way you wouldn't have the noise of the joggers. :-)

Seriously....when are you disembarking? Perhaps when I'm onboard a group of us who will be jogging can find a "more appropriate time", rather than bright and early in the morning.

Let me know your departure date....I'll "talk" to my group. Thanks.

Meanwhile, hope you get some shut eye soon. Perhaps a nite-cap drink may be beneficial. Good luck.

Robin, don't take this in the wrong way. I'm being serious here. Don't want to ruffle any feathers?

When are you disembarking the ship? I'm sure we could make arrangements for you to occupy my stateroom and I yours.....that way you wouldn't have the noise of the joggers. :-)

i am on the Quest from Jan 5th to mid march. .doubt anyone jogging the week of Feb 10th unles they like fleese.

I am in a suite mid ship. .spend msot of time on the mid ship stairs and the forward if going to the spa or deck 11 to sunbathe.

Seriously....when are you disembarking? Perhaps when I'm onboard a group of us who will be jogging can find a "more appropriate time", rather than bright and early in the morning.

What happend to 8 am when i am up eatign breakfat. i speed walk around 5 or 6 msot nights. but have walked at 8 pm and joggers are out then too. the 630 am wake call is far worse thsn esting breakfast or sitting i na tub of water.. i would lvoe you to sit in there while we get a group running and then ask you if that is how you want to wake up each day befroe your coffee arrives. somedays i go back to sleep aaround 8 to 10 then leave the ship.

Let me know your departure date....I'll "talk" to my group. Thanks.

march 16th in Mia. .when are you coming or going?

Meanwhile, hope you get some shut eye soon. Perhaps a nite-cap drink may be beneficial. Good luck.

slept really good the last two nights.

Archived