Wait a minute, my passport can't have less than 6 months before renewal? HUH? Uh oh

CruisingGatorGirl

Sure cannot believe the amount of misinformation people have supplied to the OP.

First, the cruise line does not make passport requirements. None of the Caribbean countries require a passport. Just think that you don't even need a passport for the cruise OP is taking.

You can enter back into the USA with a valid passport. The USA does not require it's citizens with a passport to have even two valid to reenter the country.

There are limited countries that require six months to enter there country. All Europe countries require three months so even on a Med cruise you do not need six months.

I just called Celebrity....

They said, I have a valid passport, my passport is valid when I return. Therefore I do not HAVE to renew it. She said I will be ok. The countries we are visiting do not require a passport.

I am still going to call a couple more times to see if this is the consensus. I am also going to bring my birth certificate, just in case.

But she assured me I am fine.

I'm glad you found out from the cruise line....and yes, cruise lines can make their own rules.

I have an EU passport for the UK, which I can use to enter any EU country until the last day of issue.

But- my cruise line, P&O, which was sailing from the UK to other EU countries, wouldn't let me check in because my passport had less than 6 months left....nothing to do with EU rules, just cruise line rules.

I had plenty of time to renew, in fact, and those five months were added on to the 10 years.

I'm glad you found out from the cruise line....and yes, cruise lines can make their own rules.

I have an EU passport for the UK, which I can use to enter any EU country until the last day of issue.

But- my cruise line, P&O, which was sailing from the UK to other EU countries, wouldn't let me check in because my passport had less than 6 months left....nothing to do with EU rules, just cruise line rules.

I had plenty of time to renew, in fact, and those five months were added on to the 10 years.

US passports, when you renew, just renew with a new (current)date, not adding onto the end of the old passport. If you need to renew it early, you lose the time remaining. :(

Very confused post. If they did not let you check in with your passport why do you also say that you had time to get a new one before you sailed?

Did they deny you boarding? If they did not, how do you know they would have denied you?

Sound like you just accepted that they would like you to have six months and you have no idea if they would have actual denied boarding.

This is not my first cruise but I thought this was appropriate to as here :)

I was just killing some time looking on the Celebrity website getting excited for our honeymoon when I noticed this (que the "dun dun dUNNNN" music)

"First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.)"

Say what????

My passport has 4-5 months left and with the government shut down I don't see how I can get it renewed before we leave. Is this true? Will Celebrity really not accept my passport? This is a U.S. departure (FLL).

Thanks in advance!

Friends, the OP stated the cruise line and departure port. She did not state it was a closed loop cruise. Celebrity also sails from FLL through the Panama canal to Chile, San Diego, or LA. A passport would be required if she were going on one of these voyages.

CruisingGatorGirl, good luck and congratulations, on your upcoming marriage.

Friends, the OP stated the cruise line and departure port. She did not state it was a closed loop cruise. Celebrity also sails from FLL through the Panama canal to Chile, San Diego, or LA. A passport would be required if she were going on one of these voyages.

CruisingGatorGirl, good luck and congratulations, on your upcoming marriage.

She confirmed that it is a closed loop cruise in post 19.

Very confused post. If they did not let you check in with your passport why do you also say that you had time to get a new one before you sailed?

Did they deny you boarding? If they did not, how do you know they would have denied you?

Sound like you just accepted that they would like you to have six months and you have no idea if they would have actual denied boarding.

I should have added "check in on line"- I was not allowed to go any further with the booking until I could register a new date with the company.

Yes, it is the policy of some cruise lines to insist on the 6 months rule regardless of where the ship is going.

Sure cannot believe the amount of misinformation people have supplied to the OP.

First, the cruise line does not make passport requirements. None of the Caribbean countries require a passport. Just think that you don't even need a passport for the cruise OP is taking.

You can enter back into the USA with a valid passport. The USA does not require it's citizens with a passport to have even two valid to reenter the country.

There are limited countries that require six months to enter there country. All Europe countries require three months so even on a Med cruise you do not need six months.

You're among those supplying misinformation. Some cruise line impose passport requirements that are more stringent than is required by law and regulation. One example (and there are others) is Regent Seven Seas Cruises, which requires all passengers to have a passport with a minimum of six months remaining validity, even for itineraries such as Western Hemisphere closed loop cruises where regulations do not require US citizens to even have a passport:

http://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/before-you-sail/default.aspx

WHAT IS YOUR POLICY ON PASSPORTS AND VISAS?

The latest information regarding passports and visas for U.S. and Canadian residents can be viewed here. It is the policy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises to require passports for ALL travelers for all voyages, regardless of guests' nationality and ports of call and countries visited. You must obtain and carry a valid passport to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vessel. Passport Cards or a copy of a passport are not accepted. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise. Please obtain or renew your passports early. Consult your travel professional or customs authority for documentation requirements for your cruise.

The thing about passports are that, in reality, they are good for 9.5 years, not 10 ;)

No...a US citizen traveling to and returning from Canada, the Caribbean, and some other countries, including the UK, can use their passport right down to the expiration date.

This is not my first cruise but I thought this was appropriate to as here :)

I was just killing some time looking on the Celebrity website getting excited for our honeymoon when I noticed this (que the "dun dun dUNNNN" music)

"First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.)"

Say what????

My passport has 4-5 months left and with the government shut down I don't see how I can get it renewed before we leave. Is this true? Will Celebrity really not accept my passport? This is a U.S. departure (FLL).

Thanks in advance!

My adult son told me about the 6 month rule on passports. I looked at mine and discovered I only had 7 months left on it. At the 6 month mark, I renewed it despite the fact my old passport would have still been valid during my cruise. Had Walgreens take the photo, downloaded the form from the internet and mailed off the passport application. I had my new passport in approximately 2 weeks. Hopefully, the government shut-down will be over soon. Just make sure your travel documents are in the same name as what is showing on your passport.

That still leaves 95% of the world

But likely more than 95% of Americans only travel to the parts of the world where their passports are good right down to the expiration date.

FYI, I've checked the numbers in the past and don't feel like doing it again, but a surprisingly small number (relative to the myth that your passport must have six months validity remaining in order to use it) of countries actually have a six month requirement.

But likely more than 95% of Americans only travel to the parts of the world where their passports are good right down to the expiration date.

FYI, I've checked the numbers in the past and don't feel like doing it again, but a surprisingly small number (relative to the myth that your passport must have six months validity remaining in order to use it) of countries actually have a six month requirement.

I guess it just depends on where you go. With my business travel, I view it as a 9.5 year document, because I go to several countries with the 6 month requirement - China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Argentina, Brazil, Saudi Arabia...those are countries I go to at least 1-2x yearly that require 6 months.

You're right, as I do more research, that the 6-month rule isn't as widespread as many (including myself) thought...but for many people (including myself), it's still the case that it's best to view the passport as a 9.5 year document.

I can sort of see why a cruiseline might want to insist that you have 1 to 3 months left on your passport after the cruise is over with. 6 months, however, sounds unreasonable for a Caribbean cruise that lasts no more than a couple of weeks.

Archived