Wait a minute, my passport can't have less than 6 months before renewal? HUH? Uh oh

CruisingGatorGirl

This is not my first cruise but I thought this was appropriate to as here :)

I was just killing some time looking on the Celebrity website getting excited for our honeymoon when I noticed this (que the "dun dun dUNNNN" music)

"First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.)"

Say what????

My passport has 4-5 months left and with the government shut down I don't see how I can get it renewed before we leave. Is this true? Will Celebrity really not accept my passport? This is a U.S. departure (FLL).

Thanks in advance!

This is not my first cruise but I thought this was appropriate to as here :)

I was just killing some time looking on the Celebrity website getting excited for our honeymoon when I noticed this (que the "dun dun dUNNNN" music)

"First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.)"

Say what????

My passport has 4-5 months left and with the government shut down I don't see how I can get it renewed before we leave. Is this true? Will Celebrity really not accept my passport? This is a U.S. departure (FLL).

Thanks in advance!

2 things:

1) if your cruiseline says "must have 6 months left" they probably mean it. Is your cruise a closed-loop one? Or a one way?

2) From what I've read the passport issuing office isn't affected by the government shutdown. I've read many reports of people getting their passports in as timely a manner as they were before the shutdown.

Ok 1st do you have 4-5 months left from now, or from the date of your honeymoon?

Second, where are you going on your cruise (which ports). Most Caribbean locations don't require the 6 month left on your passport rule if you are on a cruise. The main reason for it is if something happens you aren't stuck without a way back to the states.

Third, Did you get married already, or will you be getting married right before you leave on your honeymoon. Reason for this is to make sure that the name on your cruise documents match the one on your passport. Something newlyweds don't think about when booking a cruise in their married name, but they don't have their ID and/or Passport in their married name yet. (of course this only applies if you are changing your name)

Forth, the Government shutdown hasn't effected the Passports. I have seen many stories here on CC of people receiving their passports in less than a month for a new one, without expediting it. If your worried about it just make sure you have your ID and Birth certificate as back up.

Your honeymoon cruise is a RT closed loop trip and falls under the WHTI rules. As such the US says it can be taken with just a copy of a birth certificate and valid government ID. For this sort of trip, as long as your passport is valid on the day you return to the US, you are fine. The six month 'rule' is called just a suggestion on Celebrity's website, although Celebrity does seem conflicted as to whether they consider your itinerary as Domestic or International. Either way, your passport will be fine on this cruise as long as it does not expire before Dec. 20, 2013.

Do pay attention to the above post regarding booking name, however

I have seen cruisers turned away on X due to less than 6 mos. left on PP. Make sure your name on tix and PP match Good time to do both name change and renewal..I would contact Celebrity. If in big FL city go in person to passport office. Miami will do it in person.

Yes they really mean it with the 6 month rule.

Personally I wouldn't get it renewed now, because you'll need to change the name on it after you get married. (I'm assuming you're changing your name)

Make sure if you are booking your cruise under your married name that you bring your marriage license. Same deal as birth certificate, it needs to be the one with the raised seal. Bring those 2 pieces along with your DL

I can't stress enough to make sure you have ID with the same name as the cruise documents, because they will deny boarding if you they don't match.

For what it's worth, we are going on a Caribbean cruise out of San Juan in January on Celebrity. My passport expired in May of next year. The cruise returns to San Juan but visits a few countries outside of the U.S. My TA said definitely renew my passport which I did a month ago. He also said cruise reservation must be in the exact names that are on our passports. I've heard of people still getting their passports even with the shutdown. Maybe his recommendations were "just to be safe" - I don't know.

BTW, it's not a cruise line rule, but an US rule (other countries have this too). And it's been in effect for years. Even when we don't have a cruise planned, we try to remember to keep tabs on when it's our year to get ours renewed, just so we're not worrying about expediting our renewal. This year it was my hubby's turn.

BTW' date=' it's not a cruise line rule, but an US rule (other countries have this too).[/quote']

It isn't a US rule, you may leave and re-enter the US with your passport until the day it expires. This is a rule imposed by other countries to ensure that travelers don't get stuck in the country because of an expired passport.

My opinion is if the cruise line, U.S. government or a foreign country has a "rule", suggestion or requirement, it is best to follow it if possible. Why risk any kind of glitch that you can avoid. In this case since there is plenty of time, why not renew?

It isn't a US rule, you may leave and re-enter the US with your passport until the day it expires. This is a rule imposed by other countries to ensure that travelers don't get stuck in the country because of an expired passport.

That is also my understanding.

Thank you everyone, this was helpful.

Our honeymoon leaves 12/9. My passport expires in May 2014.

It is a closed loop cruise from FLL.

I am NOT changing my name until after all my vacations. I will change my name in January.

Thanks!

It sounds like you probably have two choices:

1. renew that passport now, then send it back again later for the name change.

Or

2. verify that your cruise can be done with a certified birth certificate and photo ID (such as drivers license). [we know it is a RT from Florida; if visiting nearby islands and Mexico, the above is likely enough. If it goes further, like Panama, you might have to have that passport]. Once you verify the requirement, take the passport as well as the DL and certified BC. then you can renew the passport and change the name after the cruise.

From the Celebrity website:

U.S. Citizens

Option 1: U.S. citizens that board a cruise ship at a port within the U.S., travel within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship will require a valid Passport, U.S. Passport Card, Enhanced Driver's License or Trusted Traveler Program Card such as Nexus, Sentri or Fast.

Option 2: In the absence of any of the documents listed above, U.S. citizens will need to present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the lists below in order to board the ship.

Identification Document

Government Issued photo identification card

Citizenship Documents

U.S. Government Issued Birth Certificate (original)

U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (original)

U.S. Consular Birth Abroad Certificate (original)

Not to cause more grief, but I'll point out that cruiselines can (and do) impose stricter ID requirements than the law specifies.

I'd recommend calling the cruiseline involved (or email so you can get something in print) and asking for a definite answer as to what requirements they are imposing.

Guest maddycat
Are there issues now with the shut down for renewing passports?

As several others have stated in this thread......there aren't any issues due to the govt. shut down. Passport offices are not effected.

Archived