Best gift for Room Steward and other Cruise Employees?

walke2jd

We have always travelled with gifts that we give to airline, hotel and cruise personnel. Gifts range from pens, candy, makeup, ties, tshirts...

We have made folks feel special ... once in Paris, we met a bus driver who said he would love to have a pair of cowboy boots when he realized we were from the USA, we were traveling with brand new pair that were his size. Another time we were in a street market in the middle east, a shopkeeper commented about a cologne my DH was wearing.. we had a small sample we gave to him. We have given gifts to airline personnel who dropped by our seat on the plane, on a long flights each and everyone of the crew comes by to see us.

For all of you who think small gifts are not appreciated, I can't tell you many times staff remember us. If we run into them on another trip they will mention the gift we gave them.

On our last cruise staff at the Customer Service had a plate of hand made chocolates and roses resent to our cabin with a thank you note.

For those who enjoy bringing small gifts as we do, we have found it is a positive experience.

It goes with out staying we tip well (in addition to auto tip on ships) and write notes/emails acknowledging excellent service for personnel. Good service and personnel need to be appreciated.

We have always travelled with gifts that we give to airline, hotel and cruise personnel. Gifts range from pens, candy, makeup, ties, tshirts...

We have made folks feel special ... once in Paris, we met a bus driver who said he would love to have a pair of cowboy boots when he realized we were from the USA, we were traveling with brand new pair that were his size. Another time we were in a street market in the middle east, a shopkeeper commented about a cologne my DH was wearing.. we had a small sample we gave to him. We have given gifts to airline personnel who dropped by our seat on the plane, on a long flights each and everyone of the crew comes by to see us.

For all of you who think small gifts are not appreciated, I can't tell you many times staff remember us. If we run into them on another trip they will mention the gift we gave them.

On our last cruise staff at the Customer Service had a plate of hand made chocolates and roses resent to our cabin with a thank you note.

For those who enjoy bringing small gifts as we do, we have found it is a positive experience.

Giving a stranger makeup - ummm, that's just too weird. I would take it to be gracious and immediately put it in the garbage. Thank you for the gift but seriously that is just WAY too personal.

It goes with out staying we tip well (in addition to auto tip on ships) and write notes/emails acknowledging excellent service for personnel. Good service and personnel need to be appreciated.

Crew members remember you because of "you" not what you gave them. We were on a Thanksgiving cruise where we had no luggage for 10 of the 12 days. The girls at the Purser's Desk lent underwear and miscellaneous clothes items. Other passengers lent shoes... you get the drift. A year later we were on another Thanksgiving cruise and low and behold the same girl was at the Purser's Desk. We remembered it was her birthday (she was just too kind to forget) and had them make a cake and brought it to her. She was thrilled that we remembered her. It wasn't about what we gave her, it was about remembering her. We said we were often amazed at how crew members remember us year to year and she said we are amazed at passengers that remember us.

Like anyone, they don't want stuff. They want to know that they count. They are not faceless and that they count. I applaud your generousness but think you are not coming across as you think you are. I think most are being polite in accepting your gift before they walk directly to the garbage can.

The special note to management is better then money or candy as that is how they get their raises and promotions.

We have done the phone cards and the WalMart cards but at the end of the day .... they really appreciate money, that is why the leave home for 10 months at a time. Oh they may thank you for trinkets and candy and that may make you feel good but much of it get thrown in the trash and phone cards get left behind. Many of them now use Skype of Face Time to communicate with their families and phone cards are not used. Most travel with a single suitcase and perhaps a carry-on, they don't have room for trinkets that you made, knit or items you may have baked. Stay with the cash and a nice thank you note.

1. Prepay / autopay your tips; they are reliant on these to make a full wage

2. Tip extra in cash; this is what lets them buy themselves the little 'luxuries' they want or need. You'd be surprised what falls into that category that most cruisers take for granted

3. Fill in the feedback forms; comments on these forms really ARE noted by the management. Good feedback can lead to awards, bonuses, or even promotion - which brings a higher wage and more money to send home. It is so easy to do, but also so easy to not bother. It means a huge amount to them.

I am sitting here scratching my head, trying to imagine the next time I fly. As I am disembarking the plane I hand a t-shirt to the cabin stewart and says thanks! Or at a restaurant paying my bill and adding a lovely fridge magnet for the wait staff! Seriously folks? Do YOU go to your job to earn cash or a t-shirt? What would you rather have ... extra money in your pocket or some make up that you did not choose?

Being thoughtful is choosing a gift that the recipient will appreciate, not one that you think they should want because it makes you feel good.

Money and a glowing recommendation are what the staff appreciate more then anything.

Despite all the reasons why not, people who insist on giving the crew things useless things are going to continue to do so and continue to insist that the crew loves them. It's the same argument for and against everytime this subject comes up, it's a losing battle, folks.;)

Despite all the reasons why not, people who insist on giving the crew things useless things are going to continue to do so and continue to insist that the crew loves them. It's the same argument for and against everytime this subject comes up, it's a losing battle, folks.;)

Now why didn't I say that?

I would love to be able to read a crew member's mind when someone hands them a stupid useless gift. They are trained to make you think that they like you but basically the relationship is purely professional. That is as it should be. They are not my friend. They are there to provide a service in a professional manner. If you think that they are your friend, you are deluding yourself.

I tip fairly, treat them with respect, do not make unreasonable demands on their time, and in case of cabin stewards do not leave my cabin in a mess. That is all that is expected.

DON

If you are planning on giving a "gift" then you are buying it before you leave on your cruise and expecting your service to be above and beyond the call of duty.

Well, I agree, they are just doing there job most of the time, and I do also agree with some, that there are a few they do perform their duties above and beyond the call of duty and are extremely friendly.

When that does happen and it did on our most recent Allure sailing....we left money in an envelpe we got in customer service for one employee.

Sea Ya

They are there to make money. Deliberate period there. Trinkets, tee shirts, etc., etc. will not be used and will just take up space. It's always CASH, with a hand shake and a smile that means something to them. The only gift that I have ever given was to the Captain of the vessel on the last day of the cruise, after seeing him many times on the elevator and corridor on the way to or from the elevator. It was a simple key chain with a small compass attached. First laugh without the traditional plastic smile that others see.;)

They are there to make money. Deliberate period there. Trinkets, tee shirts, etc., etc. will not be used and will just take up space. It's always CASH, with a hand shake and a smile that means something to them. The only gift that I have ever given was to the Captain of the vessel on the last day of the cruise, after seeing him many times on the elevator and corridor on the way to or from the elevator. It was a simple key chain with a small compass attached. First laugh without the traditional plastic smile that others see.;)

Maybe I'm mistaken, but had always been under the impression that giving the captain a gift was considered to be in poor taste. Maybe that is not the case after all?

Back to the original question, I would also give extra cash. The only time I would actually give them some other sort of tangible item, would be if I had asked them if they wanted me to pick up a particular item for them in port. I wouldn't assume to know what they would even like or not, not to mention the issues of crew storage space.

I am sitting here scratching my head, trying to imagine the next time I fly. As I am disembarking the plane I hand a t-shirt to the cabin stewart and says thanks! Or at a restaurant paying my bill and adding a lovely fridge magnet for the wait staff! Seriously folks? Do YOU go to your job to earn cash or a t-shirt? What would you rather have ... extra money in your pocket or some make up that you did not choose?

Being thoughtful is choosing a gift that the recipient will appreciate, not one that you think they should want because it makes you feel good.

Money and a glowing recommendation are what the staff appreciate more then anything.

This old man comes to the pharmacy I work in and almost always gives us a container of store bought cookies with one of those mailing address stickers over the price. It always makes us feel good especially when we are having a bad day dealing with frustrating customers. He always just plops the container on the counter and walks alway. A small token of gratitude goes along way. :)

This old man comes to the pharmacy I work in and almost always gives us a container of store bought cookies with one of those mailing address stickers over the price. It always makes us feel good especially when we are having a bad day dealing with frustrating customers. He always just plops the container on the counter and walks alway. A small token of gratitude goes along way. :)

^^^^LIKE^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally different situation. First you know him personally and he knows you like them. Second, he is not giving it to you as part of paying his bill. Would you think if the bill was $3.00 and he gave you $2.00 and a bag of cookies to be proper payment. Or gave you a toothbrush (like the make up person). Giving a thoughtful gift is giving for the receiver's needs and wants, not the giver. The crew couldn't care less about a magnet from your home town. They want cash and if there is a type of cookie or candy they like, they will buy it themselves.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but had always been under the impression that giving the captain a gift was considered to be in poor taste. Maybe that is not the case after all?

A small token such as described here is just fine, IMO.

It was a lighthearted, good natured gesture which, it seems, amused that particular captain on the particular day. One would hardly call key chain with 'toy' compass something to be taken seriously as a 'tip'. :eek: :D

But I imagine you probably were just pulling our leg.......

right? :D

A small token such as described here is just fine, IMO.

It was a lighthearted, good natured gesture which, it seems, amused that particular captain on the particular day. One would hardly call key chain with 'toy' compass something to be taken seriously as a 'tip'. :eek: :D

But I imagine you probably were just pulling our leg.......

right? :D

No, I see your point. I've read stories if passengers trying to tip the captain with large sums of cash--that for sure wouldn't be appropriate. Oops--my bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally different situation. First you know him personally and he knows you like them. Second, he is not giving it to you as part of paying his bill. Would you think if the bill was $3.00 and he gave you $2.00 and a bag of cookies to be proper payment. Or gave you a toothbrush (like the make up person). Giving a thoughtful gift is giving for the receiver's needs and wants, not the giver. The crew couldn't care less about a magnet from your home town. They want cash and if there is a type of cookie or candy they like, they will buy it themselves.

It's not different. The question was giving something above and beyond payment made. An extra tip over the DSC is optional, not a bill.

I don't need or actual want the cookies, sometimes they go uneaten, it's the gesture that is most appreciated.

It's not different. The question was giving something above and beyond payment made. An extra tip over the DSC is optional, not a bill.

I don't need or actual want the cookies, sometimes they go uneaten, it's the gesture that is most appreciated.

Given the choice, especially considering that you don't need or actual want the cookies, and that sometimes they go uneaten, wouldn't you prefer cash so that you could buy your favorite brand of cookies, or a low fat desert if you are watching your weight, or a needed item of some kind? The fact that sometimes those cookies go uneaten is exactly the point many of us are making: give something that will NEVER go unused - CASH.

I save $1.00 coins up all year from vending machines at work. I made a little treasure chest full of loot.

[ATTACH]290200[/ATTACH]

Are you saying you made the treasure chest full of loot with the saved up coins and then give that stuff to the crew? :confused:

Archived