Temperature / Clothing advice

Titch77

Going on 2nd cruise ever - 1st Dec Allure - Western route

Previous cruise was in 1994 - P&O around the med so not really comparable

We live in UK - current daytime temp is mid 50s in Fahrenheit (12-14C)

I've looked at various sites for average temps for the time of year etc (also spending a week in Florida pre-cruise) but would like some actual practical suggestions of what weather will be like and what sort of clothing will be best

Is it warm enough for just shorts/Tshirts or would longer trousers/sweater be needed at any point

Trying to pack sensibly as need to manage for 2 weeks and limited on weights for plane etc

Thanks

Catherine

We were in the Caribbean last December and the weather was quite warm. We were in San Juan, St. Martin, St. Thomas and Labadee. It was definitely shorts and T's weather.

Florida can vary. I remember being in Orlando in November and it was quite cool and jackets were needed.

Enjoy your cruise.

If you are lucky, it will be all sunny skies and warm temps. But in December, you can get rainy and windy days in Florida and even on your western Caribbean cruise. For these December cruises out of Florida, I always make sure I have some warmer alternatives - a hoodie and jeans or yoga pants, for example. Plus a rain jacket.

Coming from the UK with the temps you describe, you'll probably not be wearing shorts and tank tops when you board your aircraft at home, so you can wear those clothes if you run into a cool spell. Yes, bring shorts and T shirts. But don't be surprised if you get some days that are what I call "jacket weather."

No matter what you will want at least one pair of long pants and a long sleeved shirt/sweater. Weather can be highly variable especially that time of year, but the insides of the ships tend to be cool as well.

some of the air conditioned venues on the ship can be cool also, like the dining room and Studio B for the ice show. Of course they will be willing to sell you a sweatshirt, but you may want to just bring a sweater.

Early December in Ft Lauderdale will be about 75 - 80 during the day and 60-65 at night. If a cold front moves in it could go into the 50's at night and that will make for a chilly first night and sea day.

Once the ship gets down around Cuba it warms up if you are doing western. Eastern it can be cool the first two nights and not beach weather in Nassau.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I travel in jeans and a hoodie and that way I have those in case I need them. We've always had warm weather in Florida and I wear summer clothes. In January, sometimes the last sea day can be a little cool/windy. Since you'll be used to colder temps anyway, summer clothes should be fine!

Do take a wrap or sweater for inside. I always freeze in the MDR.

I have photos of mini icicles hanging off my palm trees here in the Orlando area. December is usually quite pleasant, but it can also be chilly. Definitely pack a light jacket or sweater and at least one pair of trousers. The good news is that December cold snaps seldom last more than a day or two, while January cold snaps can stick around for a week, with temps dipping below freezing.

Thanks for all the comments .... Now just waiting to hear back from Orlando hotel about laundry facilities and hopefully all sorted

Which Orlando hotel? I'd be happy to ring them up and inquire and let you know what they say.

Wyndham lake buena vista - that would be soooooo helpful ducklite :)

Their website says "guest laundry" but not sure if that means self-service or pay per item

Thy have self service washers and dryers on the "P" level for guest use. They have detergent dispenser machines int the laundry room. Sounds like you are all set!

Weather can vary greatly in Florida in December, from warm to quite cold. I advise bringing layers. The Weather Channel (weather dot com) gives a pretty accurate 10 day and 5 day forecast for any city. I would advise checking there as the date approaches to decide whether tp pack that extra pair of shorts and a tee or long pants and a sweater.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Christmas/New Year to the Caribbean via Baltimore, I live in Victoria, BC, Canada where the weather is similar to the UK in winter.

To cope with 3 temperature changes I had a base of a summer skirt and camisole. I left home with a pair of leggings and a mid weight cardigan on for the flight. For my time in Baltimore I added socks and a micro fibre poncho.

For boarding the ship the leggings cardigan socks and poncho all came off.

That layer dressing worked so well I use it when we cruise from Ft Lauderdale in March. I wiggle out of the leggings on the plane;)

Cheers, h

Archived