Crystal or Oceania

DaisyUK

re: announcements. We stay in "A" cabins on "R" ships and one must turn on the tv sound in order to hear them. Same true in "B" cabins so it's just not in suites.

Maybe I am reading it wrong but TRAVELLER916 implied they have a separate volume control to turn the announcements on/off

Some ships do have a wall switch where you can do that

On Oceania you need the TV turned on ...at least in the cheap seats ;)

Lyn

Unless your signature is out of date, you (like me) haven't actually sailed on Crystal yet. Let us know how you compare them after your June cruise. ;)

Yes, you are right. Eating at 8:30 is a deal darker for me, I am so used to flex dinning I guess I over reacted. Time will tell!

:o

That is my take as well, having a cousin and a few friends who have taken Crystal... Crystal seemed a bit much ado about everything

I don't enjoy the constant attention and fawning service....that has been described to me. and why I avoid cabins with butlers .:rolleyes:

To each ,however, their own.

The other issue with bringing lots of formal clothing would be the ridiculous weight allowances on intra-Europe flights and the big penalty fees for exceed those limits.

They have updated the dress code so formal clothing is optional. The only difference from Oceania that I can see is a sports jacket is required some nights.

To add I really do not understand what makes Crystal luxury and Oceana luxury lite? Oceania has better rooms, new ships, many restaurants, same port intensive trips, great service and AI expect for booze which you can buy that also. As for food at some point food is food, how much better can it be on a ship? A ship is not the Palm, Peter Lugers or any other land based rest. The only difference I see is that crystal ships have 200 or so less pass on the same size ship. I am locked into a trip with them as I have already gotten the air fare and my wife wants to go back to Iceland, I canceled two others and never want to hear their name again. If I can not eat when I want what good is it, I can eat when I want in Burger King!!

The difference is the service...not fawning or intrusive, but intuitive, caring and excellent. Also the enrichment and entertainment are in a different stratosphere.

There is more to do on board Crystal than to sit on a chez by the pool. Meanwhile the prices on O are similar and often even less expensive on Crystal. I don't care a bit about all inclusive alcohol, but obviously many luxury cruisers do.

Lastly, the bit about Crystal being stuffy is just not true. It is true that you will not see shorts and tee shirts at night as I encountered on Riviera, if you call that stuffy. They are both excellent lines and I have upcoming cruises on both. Many of you have never been near a Crystal ship and rely on false assumptions and stereotypes.

I have never sailed on Crystal, but suppect that, as dig says, Crystal because of recent changes may be less formal today than it once was.

However, there is the statement in dig's post above that Crystal's pricing is comparable and at times even a tad less than Oceania's. I do not kmow about suites, but it seems that in an apples-to-apples comparison for a veranda stateroom, Crystal's pricing is materially higher. Though it seems that Oceania's pricing has recently gone up, Crystal's fares are still roughly 20 percent higher when one opts out of Oceania's free flights.

The only big negative I can find (from my perspective only) is the constant announcements!

I am always complaining that I never hear any announcements. Other than the Captain's and muster drill we never hear them. I think there is a way you can turn them off except for the Captain's.

I have OV booked on both. Oceania is apx 650 a night for two, Chystal is apx 800 night for two. The 650 includes the drink pack. As Chystal is AI so it makes it a like comp. alto I think Oceania room is bigger and nicer, Chystal,s is obstructed.

I would much prefer to be in a Crystal non verandah stateroom than either the cat c or verandah on Oceania. The drawer location and space as well as the bathroom on Crystal are much better than on Marina. We love having 2 sinks and the Marina separate shower is a joke. Penthouse cabins are a better value on Oceania. The BEDS on O are fabulous!

Food is excellent on both lines.

Liquor and wine are an issue with us on Oceania as pour is small and assortment of wines by the glass are not to our liking. Thus, the premium package does not solve the wine quality issue.

As mentioned previously, entertainment and enrichment on Crystal is far superior.

We LOVE walking on the verandah deck on Crystal ships and missed it on our 3 Oceania cruises.

We found service to be good on both lines with Crystal's being warmer and a bit more personal.

I do not see much difference in attire except on more formal nights on Crystal. We enjoy dressing up some and take our "dressier stuff" in a garment bag as a carry on.

I agree that on many itineraries, Oceania is priced higher excluding air if one is comparing outside staterooms.

I prefer Crystal, but will be traveling on Oceania when the itinerary is better for us. They are both excellent lines!

We've been lucky enough to have traveled on the Oceania Marina twice now and the Crystal Serenity one a couple years ago. If you can snag a large suite on the new ships and drink sparingly, then Oceania is a better deal, but if you want a carefree trip that enhances both your mind and body, then Crystal is a better choice. The new Oceania ship are gorgeous, but they can afford to be less expensive because they can cram a few more people into the less expensive cabins, charge $55 a day for a full drink package, and are better at nickel and dime issues than Crystal wants to be now. I don't think you will starve on either line, but you will find more penny pincher's on Oceania simply because the deals are more aplenty and thus the mix of passengers might be more extreme , if that is something that affects your plans. As I said, if you can snag a large suite on the Marina or Riviera, they are great and worth the money, but then again, they usually go at 830 am on the day the schedule opens up, so unless you plan two years in advance, you are not comparing apples to apples any longer.

Truth be told, find a itinerary that you like, the ship is really secondary if you have picked a great trip.

I wish Oceania had their summer 2015 schedule out now because Crystal's 2015 schedule looks pretty good and it's tempting to book. Their prices are not as high as I originally thought they would be.

I'm liking what I've been reading about their relaxed dress policy, that is a bonus.

Oceania will always be my first choice...but sometimes I like to change it up and I think Crystal would be a nice alternative.

Crystal has changed a lot since I was on them for last Christmas.

There is no doubt that Crystal's suites and rooms are smaller.

There is no doubt that Crystal is an older but pretty...old ship. There is no doubt that Oceania is ultra beautiful.

You can not take away the fact that Oceania has many diningrooms to choose from--I love that.

The Lido deck guys on Crystal and the butlers who have been there for years are excellent, but we found the service on Oceania to be more than acceptable and quite good.

Oceania is less, even adding on the liquor.

Oceania has newer ships that are not tired. No doubt about that.

Personally, in my opinion, I would go Oceania hands down.

The deal breaker for me on Crystal is their new policy to pay for their two alternative restaurants after you have had one booking each. I feel that $30 each is exhorbitant.

Go Oceania!

Crystal has changed a lot since I was on them for last Christmas.

There is no doubt that Crystal's suites and rooms are smaller.

There is no doubt that Crystal is an older but pretty...old ship. There is no doubt that Oceania is ultra beautiful.

You can not take away the fact that Oceania has many diningrooms to choose from--I love that.

The Lido deck guys on Crystal and the butlers who have been there for years are excellent, but we found the service on Oceania to be more than acceptable and quite good.

Oceania is less, even adding on the liquor.

Oceania has newer ships that are not tired. No doubt about that.

Personally, in my opinion, I would go Oceania hands down.

The deal breaker for me on Crystal is their new policy to pay for their two alternative restaurants after you have had one booking each. I feel that $30 each is exhorbitant.

Go Oceania!

I guess you too have been following the almost 1000 posts on that Crystal thread.

You know, I sense that Crystal must be really desperate to raise revenue despite their "all in" pricing. The amount of money they will raise with their "reservation fee" - in the overall scheme of things -- well, it can't be worth the risk of losing 10-15 passengers, and all of their cruise fare, which is what it seems to me will be the result. The numbers don't just add up...unless they are making a statement, which is what I sense they are doing...about the direction they are taking.

We leave in 2 weeks for our next O cruise...and we hope that they don't mess with the wonderful formula they have. Fares seem to be up somewhat but that's ok, as long as the nickle and diming doesn't start, and as long as the food quality doesn't go down....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

but they initially lost us because of their smoking policy (they allowed it in the best main atrium bar on the ship). I could not enjoy Christmas as there were quite a few avid smokers...so much so that three stories of the atrium were full of smoke. Then shortly after Christmas, after I had cancelled 4 cruises, they changed this. I was just thinking of going back when they changed again with the food thing. I don't know what kind of a statement they are making, but I can't believe it will be good in the end.

hi, I know this is the wrong forem but I have a Chrystal question and I feel you are an expert! We our taking our first because of the trip, NY to Iceland. I am going to make my speciality rest reservations, what do you think are the best nights not to miss any buffet on the Symphony? Ex sea day, dress up day etc. You are right about Oceamia, I have a two week trip on the Rivera just before this one, so far they beat Crystal in my book. Thanks

Tom

I guess you too have been following the almost 1000 posts on that Crystal thread.

You know, I sense that Crystal must be really desperate to raise revenue despite their "all in" pricing. The amount of money they will raise with their "reservation fee" - in the overall scheme of things -- well, it can't be worth the risk of losing 10-15 passengers, and all of their cruise fare, which is what it seems to me will be the result. The numbers don't just add up...unless they are making a statement, which is what I sense they are doing...about the direction they are taking.

We leave in 2 weeks for our next O cruise...and we hope that they don't mess with the wonderful formula they have. Fares seem to be up somewhat but that's ok, as long as the nickle and diming doesn't start, and as long as the food quality doesn't go down....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Crystal has been making a lot of changes over the last few years, and some "loyal" Crystal cruisers have complained about every one of them. And yet, Crystal's occupancy rate has been going up up up. There is a convincing argument that the latest change is a result of that success: there are now too many people wanting repeat visits to the specialty restaurants. The $30 will not raise significant money for Crystal, but judging by the reaction it will significantly decrease demand for those repeat visits - which will make sure that every passenger can enjoy them once per cruise.

The last time they did not have this at night. So for specialty restaurants I think maybe a sea day. I loved the specialty restaurants and probably overused them. Keith has a better hold on which nights are the dress up nights which I believe are now optional. I wouldn't do a specialty restaurant on that night.

Why not post on the Crystal board and ask Keith

Archived