No longer feel like "Royalty"

As someone who works in a similar industry as Royal, I'd like to offer feedback to anyone having the same issues. This view is my thoughts from the purely business side, not cruise side. I have no clue what cruises used to offer and how nice they were 20 years ago. I am not trying to offend anyone with my views.

1) CruizAddct's letter is fine. She wrote how she felt, and that is important. Although I agree with others, I would work in the future to excise some of the personal stuff and stay to the facts (dates/times/examples) as a lot of what is stated is fluff, most of that is just personal taste. In the end, it doesn't matter as the 2nd point describes.

2) Their response is copy-paste. Many, many cruisers and people do not like hearing this, but it's very likely true. I seen our department deal with these letters and they literally have paragraphs and paragraphs of responses they paste out. There is very little chance a company as big as Royal would hand type any of these letters out. In fact, in the past I actually created one of the templates that one of these big companies use that they send out.

Solution: you must complain while on the cruise. Go to Guest Relations if need be. That is the only way they can rectify your problems.

3) Raising the prices. This is my biggest problem.

Although raising prices to suit your wants sounds good in theory, but Royal will lose tens of millions, if not hundreds. They have several financial analysts going over the numbers, and raising the prices $100 pp to an already escalating and competitive market, while trying to expand, is very damaging for Royal. The fact is these decisions are made by the numbers. They don't arbitrarily keep prices low and gouge amenities to maximize profits, they maximize profits by staying competitive within their field. Royal makes over 500 million net profit a year, are rebounding from a horrible previous year (dip +16% to -20% in stock price), and adding another possible loss of $100 million to implement the costs some are suggesting to appease them - is just absurd.

I'm sure Royal would love to do all the things you mentioned - have a wider selection of food, towel animals every night, refurbished and updated rooms. The simple fact is they can't.

There is a reason these companies branch off with subsidiaries such as Celebrity and such - it's to cater to other audiences. Hilton does the same.

Solution: Book Celebrity

I really hope that anyone who has issues realizes in the future decides to take up when they have them. People on the other side really can't do anything, our hands are tied!

I just returned from a quick weekend get away with some lady friends on Enchantment. My husband and I were on Enchantment last year for the Bermuda cruise and were very pleased with the service. I was amazed at how within one year the service could drop so dramatically. The only WOW thing on this cruise was the service at dinner. The food over all was good, not great, but good. I did respond to the survey sent by Royal Caribbean and discussed the lack of good service on this cruise and how it differed from what we have had for almost 40 cruises. This past cruise last weekend was the worst I have ever experienced on Royal.

I do hope this is not something that will be accepted, but I did hear from quite a few experienced cruisers that some cruises are no longer meeting the quality that has kept them returning to Royal.

I have to agree that Royal may have a problem with some of their ships and should address it and not let it just "steep."

2) Their response is copy-paste. Many, many cruisers and people do not like hearing this, but it's very likely true.

Yes. This is true. As for sending an email to Adam Goldstein, feel free but realize he is not the one reading or responding. CEOs and other executives are too busy for that. Likely, it is a PR person who is charged with crafting a response (canned or otherwise).

This is how it works.

1. IT creates a "dummy" email address for the president or other high-level executive.
  2. A PR intern or customer service admin reads the emails and forwards them to the appropriate department rep.
  3. That person records the complaint/issue/compliment and sends a canned response to the sender, or makes a token phone call and records the outcome of the call.
  4. In the case of an unusual complaint/issue/compliment, a PR writer drafts a unique (not canned) response, and a senior manager or lawyer reviews and approves the message before it is sent. (Nothing, and I mean nothing besides a canned message, is sent in response to a complaint without approval from higher-ups or lawyers.)
  5. The senior customer service manager (or other responsible person) then compiles a monthly report listing the various complaints/issues/compliments, analyzing their importance, and recommending ways to improve, resolve or dismiss them.

Adam Goldstein reads the monthly analyses. He does not read or respond to individual messages. Nor does he write the press releases that are issued on his behalf.

Trust me.

I totally agree with the OP that the new menu in the MDR is poor. We sailed on the Vision and Allure this year and were very disappointed so had no other choice but to dine in the Speciality venues.
Again food is subjective, have sailed four times so far this year with RCL and have always found the MDR food to be more than adequate. Specialty dining, once a cruise....K.O.:)

Does seem strange and won't elaborate on why.....K.O.;)

I guess I'm referring to the times they only have one show where I had to run and stand (which I should have been more specific in my emal with). There were other times where I had to stand in the main seating assigned show where we got there 1/2 hour early and there were no seats. I think that's ridiculous and better planning can stop that from happening. Hope this clears up your curiousity.

Again food is subjective, have sailed four times so far this year with RCL and have always found the MDR food to be more than adequate. Specialty dining, once a cruise....K.O.:)

Yes, everything is subjective, but do you have to be so critical of EVERYTHING anyone says? They have a right to their opinion. I talked to NOT ONE person on that ship that liked the food (and we were traveling with 6 people who all have cruised before who said the shrimp and lobster were like rubber, the food choices were very limited and repeated often (ie: turkey 2 nights instead of one and I'm NOT talking about the daily optional choices)). I'm glad you have had good food. I've had good food AND choices on many other RCI ships... this one, not so good. My opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Also D+ and IMHO I have just the opposite of my four cruises this year regarding your opinion of a "decline" in all areas. Have sailed, Navigator (B2B), Explorer, and Allure. Have found the food, crew, cleanliness and the Concierge and the bar staff in the CL all wonderful. Honestly zero complaints or issues.....K.O....:)

Did you go on the Grandeur lately, apparently NOT. THAT's the ship I was critiquing and therefore you don't have an equal opinion to compare to it. I would expect those larger ships to do a little better. I've NEVER complained about RCI food before. This is my FIRST time and I have to get wrapped up arguing with someone as sarcastic as you to question all of my statements, but I just read your recent posts and it seems that you do that a lot... sorry for you. Might I suggest you try to remove some of the negative sarcasm in dealing with others so that you don't get everyone else as upset as you have me! Have a "nice" day...

Did you go on the Grandeur lately, apparently NOT. THAT's the ship I was critiquing and therefore you don't have an equal opinion to compare to it. I would expect those larger ships to do a little better. I've NEVER complained about RCI food before. This is my FIRST time and I have to get wrapped up arguing with someone as sarcastic as you to question all of my statements, but I just read your recent posts and it seems that you do that a lot... sorry for you. Might I suggest you try to remove some of the negative sarcasm in dealing with others so that you don't get everyone else as upset as you have me! Have a "nice" day...

Some times you need to just walk away from your computer when the dissection of your posting begins. You raised some valid points and there is no need to defend your comments. Some will agree, some will disagree, and some will just keep picking away because they just enjoy it. It's the nature of the beast on a public forum.

Adam Goldstein reads the monthly analyses. He does not read or respond to individual messages..

I beg to differ. Send him something positive titled "something positive for a change" in the subject line and he WILL personally respond. :)

Wed 5/9/2012 8:47 PM

Ryan,

Thanks for passing along this nice story. Thanks for cruising with us.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

(305) 539 6082

I have no reason to believe this was some canned response from a PR person. The PR department told me specifically he personally forwarded my email to them.

Does this make me special? Absolutely not! But dont go thinking he doesnt read his emails :) I will agree that the thousands of complaints he gets a day will surely get passed along for sure I imagine.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33715012&postcount=33

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33887495&postcount=1

He also wrote about it in his blog.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/royal-caribbean-helps-a-cruiser-find-something-they-cherish-most-memories/

Edited by ryano

The PR department has done its job. Successfully.

Im not going to argue with you. I also got a call from Justin at the Executive offices thanking me for the comments along with an assurance that Adam himself forwarded my email to Freedom of the Seas so Alpheus could be commended.

I guess you are calling Justin a liar.

Have a great day :)

Not any of the ones I ever got, they were Andes Candies... Just saying...

I remember these! Thin layers of chocolate on the outside, and a middle layer of green minty stuff. Love them! They were a predecessor to the waxy chocolate.

My husband doesn't like mint chocolate, so I got TWO every night!

Edited by pcur

As I stated in my previous post, I'm not trying to offend people, just stating from first hand experience and what I seen - but to my knowledge CEOs don't read your emails. Yes there may be a CEO here or there of smaller companies that do, but anyone in a multi billion dollar company such as Royal really does not possess the time to read these e-mails. Can you imagine how many thank yous or complaints they get a day?

I've knew a person in the industry who was on the board of one of these huge companies, and she expressed extreme surprise when I stated I got in touch with so and so CEO. She explained that the person's email is not posted anywhere online (their real one). Then I forwarded the email and she explained it's a PR canned response, and someone else handles it.

I would wager that Adam is not even very cognizant of the things even posted on his blog, just as like the President of the United States isn't really aware of the 20 minute speeches he gives (just knows the bullet points). These are all crafted by other people, because that is their job. They get paid for it.

I remember these! Thin layers of chocolate on the outside, and a middle layer of green minty stuff. Love them! They were a predecessor to the waxy chocolate.

My husband doesn't like mint chocolate, so I got TWO every night!

I love them but since I didn't go on my first cruise until 2004, I only got the chocolates in Royal Caribbean wrappers. And I never thought they were waxy. ;) Only people who have a very long cruise history must have gotten Andes.

Gina

This is where you lose me. You seem to believe you have polled the entire ship and everyone rallied around you, echoing your sentiments.

Did you lead a parade?

Why so mean? She didn't say she polled the entire ship. She stated everyone she talked to. Maybe she talked to 5 or 10 people. Maybe 20. She never said the entire ship.

The only annoying thing about this thread are the nit pickers and those who twist Polly's words.

Of course this happens all the time as I well know.

Gina

As I stated in my previous post, I'm not trying to offend people, just stating from first hand experience and what I seen - but to my knowledge CEOs don't read your emails. Yes there may be a CEO here or there of smaller companies that do, but anyone in a multi billion dollar company such as Royal really does not possess the time to read these e-mails. Can you imagine how many thank yous or complaints they get a day?

I've knew a person in the industry who was on the board of one of these huge companies, and she expressed extreme surprise when I stated I got in touch with so and so CEO. She explained that the person's email is not posted anywhere online (their real one). Then I forwarded the email and she explained it's a PR canned response, and someone else handles it.

I would wager that Adam is not even very cognizant of the things even posted on his blog, just as like the President of the United States isn't really aware of the 20 minute speeches he gives (just knows the bullet points). These are all crafted by other people, because that is their job. They get paid for it.

Adam has stated in interviews that he reads customer email.

I think your belief is entirely too broad and blanket.

I think the belief that CEOs read every email is entirely too niave and blanket.

Im not sure if you looked at prices, but RCI are more money then a lot of the other cruise lines.

With all do respect you opened up your self for some flames when you said you looked down on some cruise lines. People will defend what they like.

So you came over to the RCI boards to defend Carnivals honor? Too funny. :D:p:D:rolleyes:

Some thoughts on this long thread.

1. Undoubtedly, some one in PR filters the E-Mail in Adam's public E-Mail box and forwards a select few to him for a possible reply.

2. Food is subjective so what I like (well done) is not something my wife would like (mooing), And that is just on steak .

3. I can always find something I like, might take a couple of tries. The waiters learn your preferences real fast so ask them.

3. Hyperbole and dramatics in the original post wave a red flag with a target saying ..............flame me!

4. Paragraphs are your best friend, make it easier to read the original post instead of eye's glazing over.

Wasn't it easy to read my reply???