Question about art for sale on Princess ship

brianlojeck

I've been on two Princess cruises. They seem to sell the same "rare, one of a kind" art on each cruise.

There is one painting I really like: it's a coarsely painted (as in heavy brush strokes, almost impressionist?) picture of a black-haired female flamenco dancer in a red dress, viewed from behind.

Given that I recognize a lot of their "paintings" as Internet images run through a photoshop filter (that's not a tiger's face, it's three naked women in body paint on a painted floor), I suspect this isn't a painting, but it's still really impressed me...

It almost looks like it's by Pino

(http://pino-artist.com/pino-art-collections.html) but I can't find it online for sale, or on the website linked above.

Any advice? Anyone know the piece I mean?

I've been on two Princess cruises. They seem to sell the same "rare, one of a kind" art on each cruise.

There is one painting I really like: it's a coarsely painted (as in heavy brush strokes, almost impressionist?) picture of a black-haired female flamenco dancer in a red dress, viewed from behind.

Given that I recognize a lot of their "paintings" as Internet images run through a photoshop filter (that's not a tiger's face, it's three naked women in body paint on a painted floor), I suspect this isn't a painting, but it's still really impressed me...

(http://pino-artist.com/pino-art-collections.html) but I can't find it online for sale, or on the website linked above.

Could it be a work by Hans Josicch? He has many paintings of red dressed flamencos.

Mike:)

It is very likely a giclee print with hand embellishment by Pino, or perhaps even an original. He has a whole series of flamenco dancers, many pieces of which I have had a hard time finding on line. Try searching for "flamenco in red" and you might find a similar piece.

A giclee is a print of an origianl piece onto canvas; if it is hand embellished it is done by the artist him/herself which adds some value to it. What often happens with pieces is there is a set number produced.. they get sent to various dealers the artist has a relationship with (land based dealers, cruise ships, etc.). Once those sell out they are sold out of the primary market. You could reach out to the art director who was onboard and inquire what piece it was; he/she should be able to assist and can send you images perhaps. You can not buy art through Princess if you are not onboard a ship however.

I have purchased such a painting by Pino on a cruise several years ago. I am by no means an art conniseur, I just LOVED the piece. There was a much larger, more expensive piece I had seen on a cruise prior and did not purchase it... i spent many months thinking about that piece and then on my next cruise I found the one I bought. I have tried to research it's value but again have not found the specific piece online and am not intersted in selling so have not reached out to any art dealers. The artist has since passed away so I would assume the price has gone up.

We have bought a couple of pieces of art onboard. The first one we got roped into the excitement of buying a "nechita" thinking we could make some money. I did a bit of research in the internet cafe before purchasing and while I know we aren't going to get rich from it, we love the piece and I imagine when/if we sell it the value will have appreciated. We have also bought some other smaller pieces. To us, they are art as well as souvenirs of our trips.

If you like it, by all means buy it, but as others have posted many times before there have been continual allegations of fraud, and countless lawsuits. Reputable art dealers and auction houses do not market art as a financial investment. Sometimes when an artist dies, they just die.

My background is in fine art and I owned and operated a gallery for many years. I quicken my pace and avert my eyes as I walk through the "galleries" on ships.

Recently on the Star, the "art" was displayed numerous times. Most looked very shopworn with damaged frames, dust, and just plain old looking (not in a good way). I would be surprised to find any originals on these ships. Caveat Emptor.:eek::D

Is this the piece? https://www.fabianperez.com/painting/dancer-in-red-with-white . The artist would be Fabian Perez. I know that Princess sells his work.

BTW, most of the piece's on Princess are lithographs, serigraphs, or giclees. You won't get the one on the ship. It will be a brand new one from the warehouse in Florida. You will get a brand new frame.

I've met Michael Godard and he told me that there's no difference between what you buy on the ship and what you would buy in a land-based gallery. It's the same artwork (except for the cheaper price).

I hope you find your piece and enjoy it. We enjoy all of our artwork and don't stress about trying to make money off of it.

If you like it, by all means buy it, but as others have posted many times before there have been continual allegations of fraud, and countless lawsuits. Reputable art dealers and auction houses do not market art as a financial investment. Sometimes when an artist dies, they just die.

My background is in fine art and I owned and operated a gallery for many years. I quicken my pace and avert my eyes as I walk through the "galleries" on ships.

Perhaps you should slow down and look and then talk with the art directors so you know what you are talking about.

Princess does not market "as a financial investment", although many of the paintings we have purchased have increased in value, but not enough to retire on. They do quote some high market values, but most art is sold below prevailing market price.

The allegations of fraud are against Park West who provided art auctions on other cruise lines.

Princess owns its own art agency - Princess Global Fine Arts, and has maintained a good reputation. They also stand by their paintings, and honor the warranty expressed onboard. I know this for a fact as they provided a full refund to me for a painting which was later found to have been misrepresented to them.

I agree that art should be purchased for its value in decorating, and not as a potential investment. We like the art we have purchased onboard Princess Cruises.

Princess as a company doesn't market it as an investment. I've seen the onboard staff not be so judicious. Actual statements heard on Princess ships (1 and 3 from the same person - guess which gallery we avoided!) "Art always goes up" "You can't get this piece anywhere else" "You can sell this on land for twice what we sell it for here"

It comes down to if you like the piece and its a fair price for you, buy it. It won't be an original, but if you are buying it for appearance, who cares? Originals are more about bragging rights and investment, repros are about art enjoyment.

Perhaps you should slow down and look and then talk with the art directors so you know what you are talking about.

Princess does not market "as a financial investment", although many of the paintings we have purchased have increased in value, but not enough to retire on. They do quote some high market values, but most art is sold below prevailing market price.

The allegations of fraud are against Park West who provided art auctions on other cruise lines.

Princess owns its own art agency - Princess Global Fine Arts, and has maintained a good reputation. They also stand by their paintings, and honor the warranty expressed onboard. I know this for a fact as they provided a full refund to me for a painting which was later found to have been misrepresented to them.

I agree that art should be purchased for its value in decorating, and not as a potential investment. We like the art we have purchased onboard Princess Cruises.

By the way OP... the artist you are looking for is probably Fabian Perez.

Edited by RickEk

...You can not buy art through Princess if you are not onboard a ship however.
If you will go to the link provided in post #2, you will see that Global Fine Arts does sell direct. I do not know if this is new or not, but it clearly advertises the ability to purchase even if not on a Princess ship.

If you will go to the link provided in post #2, you will see that Global Fine Arts does sell direct. I do not know if this is new or not, but it clearly advertises the ability to purchase even if not on a Princess ship.

That is something new from last I had heard. I had clearly been told that they were not allowed to sell unless it was on a cruise. (Of course that could have been a sales tactic). Thank you for clarifying.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Princess as a company doesn't market it as an investment. I've seen the onboard staff not be so judicious. Actual statements heard on Princess ships (1 and 3 from the same person - guess which gallery we avoided!) "Art always goes up" "You can't get this piece anywhere else" "You can sell this on land for twice what we sell it for here"

It comes down to if you like the piece and its a fair price for you, buy it. It won't be an original, but if you are buying it for appearance, who cares? Originals are more about bragging rights and investment, repros are about art enjoyment.

I wouldn't automatically state it wouldn't be an original. I'm not stating the OP is looking for an original, but to state it won't be is wrong. You never know what Princess will have on each cruise.

We've bought two originals and have had them professionally appraised and are very happy with them. We knew what we were buying at the time. I think that is the key.

I also agree with what you said about repos. Those can be equally enjoyable and we have several.

To the OP - we know how you feel. You see that piece on a cruise and can never forget it! You keep looking and looking... we finally burst the bubble and indulged ourselves in some art.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Just be aware that the site linked is to "someone who paints like Perez"

The artist Perez is linked in post #8.

I think that if someone can't tell the difference between a $3000 limited edition and a $300 knock-off, that they probably shouldn't be buying art in the first place. They would probably be just as happy with a framed poster.;)

I think that if someone can't tell the difference between a $3000 limited edition and a $300 knock-off, that they probably shouldn't be buying art in the first place. They would probably be just as happy with a framed poster.;)

Exactly!

Buy it because you like it and you will be fine.

Exactly! I've bought posters back in the day and had them framed. It cost me $300 by the time I picked out everything! ;) And where is that framed poster today... my guest crapper! :eek: LOL But everyone always asks about it. :cool:

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

Exactly! I've bought posters back in the day and had them framed. It cost me $300 by the time I picked out everything! ;) And where is that framed poster today... my guest crapper! :eek: LOL But everyone always asks about it. :cool:

Exactly!

Buy it because you like it and you will be fine.

Wish there was a "like" button for you guys.:cool:

These pieces are most likely done in art factories, likely in China. You see the same ones year after year. They recreate the ones that sell the best.They are not to be considered investments. Buy them if you like them, just do not over pay.

When I was on the Coral, I bought an Eric Waugh. Of course it wasnt an original, but a signed copy. After shipping and everything else, it was still a little cheaper than it would have been had I bought it at a gallery

I think that Princess is much better than Park West

New as of June 2012. Note that the web site is for art no longer available onboard ship.

That is something new from last I had heard. I had clearly been told that they were not allowed to sell unless it was on a cruise. (Of course that could have been a sales tactic). Thank you for clarifying.
New as of June 2012.

Email received at that time was as follows:

Dear (my name),

As a past patron of Princess Cruises’ Fine Arts program, we'd like to let you know about the new website from Global Fine Arts, one of the premier art dealers in the United States, and the supplier for the on board Fine Arts program.

Global Fine Arts has over 14 years of experience, and has developed a reputation for quality and great prices. Through relationships established from the onboard art program, they are able to generate exceptional savings, with prices you’ve only previously found at sea.

Choose from a wide variety of artwork no longer available onboard featuring world-renowned artists. Plus, take advantage of custom, quality framing to showcase your cherished art in your home.

Order today before your favorite selection is gone!

images_button.gif

Could it be a work by Hans Josicch? He has many paintings of red dressed flamencos.

It's not, but I like this one a lot too: http://*******.com/lzm46n6

Is this the piece? https://www.fabianperez.com/painting/dancer-in-red-with-white . The artist would be Fabian Perez. I know that Princess sells his work.

Indeed! Many thanks....

Just be aware that the site linked is to "someone who paints like Perez"

Yeah, I posted too quickly...

Also, for the record:

1: I don't buy art as an investment, I buy it to hang on my wall. In all likelihood I'll buy a poster print and put it in a really nice frame.

2: I have witnessed Princess (and other ship's) art vendors telling people that the art is an investment, that the only place you can buy the stuff is right here right now, etc... I also know for a fact that at least one "painting" was just a photoshopped photograph, because the photograph is the background on my phone... so my opinon of their honesty ranks them slightly below used car salesmen.

3: call me crazy, but using the duty-free shop's liquor prices as a guide, I don't buy booze, art, or jewelry on ships or in tourist-ridden ports, unless it's a bottle of something that I've truly never seen for sale where I live...

BTW, most of the piece's on Princess are lithographs, serigraphs, or giclees. .

I assume that everyone who is following this post is awaare that a giclee is not a print in the traditional sense since a glicee is just a fancy huckster word for "high end inkjet printer", The company selling glicee art can turn the things out by the thousands if they wish.

DON